Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zamano still "at it"

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

GavPJ wrote: »
    Zamano still at it! Got 8 txt messages from them last Sunday morning which took all my credit that I had put in on Friday! Got onto Three and they told me what had happened. They told me to top up again and txt stop to 57030 and that would stop them sending me the messages. They also but a block on my account to stop it happening again. Problem sorted but they only done the bare minimum to help.
    I wasn't happy so I emailed comreg and Zamano on Monday afternoon. Got my refund through paypal from zamano this morning. I'm not going to leave it there though. I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to this stuff. Registered address is in Kilkenny and I'll drive there if I have to.

Thought they had shutdown.
    Yeah go to town on them horrible company.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭GavPJ

20Cent wrote: »
    Thought they had shutdown.
    Yeah go to town on them horrible company.

Just reading here that they went into voluntary liquidation in Jan this year.
    I have all the time in the world to chase them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Whatever about toothless Comreg, this should be taken all the way under the GDPR. How are peoples mobile numbers (personal data) being captured and processed as billing information without their explicit consent.

I’d lodge a formal complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner. This stuff needs proper investigation and the law has changed since GDPR came into force.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Whatever about toothless Comreg, this should be taken all the way under the GDPR. How are peoples mobile numbers (personal data) being captured and processed as billing information without their explicit consent.

I’d lodge a formal complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner. This stuff needs proper investigation and the law has changed since GDPR came into force.

This is the route I am going down. I have asked them for evidence that I subscribed to their "premium" services. They have sent me back a form to
    fill out because of GDPR regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

That's the big question I had at the time. Who gave them my number. The service provider said it wasn't them, I didn't give it to them. As far as I can tell my son clicked on something playing a game, did the game send the number. Even contacted the makers of the game they said no. My service provider said they didn't Zamano said they got it from the service provider. Would love to know how they got the number if anyone knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I’d also question what protections the mobile networks are providing. Why is your mobile number being transmitted to an advert on the web in the first place?

Considering how much effort goes into ensuring cookies and data gathering on websites is absolutely clear in the GDPR world, I don’t really see how it’s reasonable that a mobile network would pass your mobile phone number, without your explicit consent and understanding, to a 3rd party.

The whole thing shouldn’t be possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Comreg give some wishy washy nonsense of an excuse but they allow it cause the PRS operators pay them fees to be allowed exist. DPC accepted Comregs claim but that was pre GDPR

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I lodged a complaint with ComReg in early 2017. They told me I couldn't proceed until I had pursued the matter with Zamano.

So I sent Zamano the following:
    Yesterday, when reviewing my meteor mobile phone bills for February and March of this year (ph: xxx xxxxxxx), I became aware that I had been charged for five premium rate text messages from your company in February, and six in March. These charges amounted to €22.33 in total.

I did not request to be registered for these services, either intentionally, or accidentally.

I did not receive any notification that I was subscribed to these services, either by text or any other means.

I did not receive any text message, from your company or any other similar premium rate number.

Having discovered these charges, I contacted your company yesterday. I spoke to an agent who agreed to refund the money to me in total. I expect to receive a cheque without delay.

I do not consider that this adequately addresses the fact that you effectively steal money from people and only agree to return it when caught. I expect that you are getting away in instances where the victims, children and the elderly in many cases, are unaware that you have taken their money.

I have lodged a complaint with Comreg. I hope that they prosecute you to the full extent of the law. They have told me that they cannot proceed until I have first lodged a complaint with you, so that is the purpose of this email.

Zamano responded with a few screenshots from dodgy banner ads, and the following gibberish:
    You interacted with AppMob Once Off NON SUBSCRIPTION Service.
    Log file and screenshot of promotion attached.

This service is promoted on mobile Internet and in apps. You see a banner click on it and be taken to the promotion page attached

Date: 18/01/2017
    The promotion interacted with is: Babe Vids V15
    User Agent: xxx
    IP Address: xxx

Date: 20/02/2017
    The promotion interacted with is: Babe Vids V13
    User Agent: xxx

IP Address: xxx

These pages have all the relevant terms and pricing indicated before the button that will initiate the charge. Once the button is pressed we obtain your number as indicated in the terms at the top of the page and process the billing.

Terms on top of the page state that;
    “By continuing you consent that zamano can request your Mobile Number from your mobile operator to bill you for this service. Your details will only be used by zamano to bill for this service and not be shared with third parties”
    These pages and services also comply with all relevant regulations. We now consider the matter closed. If you are still not happy with the response you can address your complaint to ComReg.

Regards
    Customer Service Zamano

This might have scared a teenage boy into submission, and many people don't have the energy to make proper complaints, but I don't visit websites with cr@p like that on them, and wouldn't be stupid enough to click on them if I did.

I also had a lot of time on my hands in early 2017.

So I then sent Comreg the following:
    In accordance with xxxx’s email below I submitted the attached complaint to Zamano this morning

Comreg replied with the following:

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that ComReg will now raise your complaint directly with Zamano.

Once ComReg refers your complaint to the service provider they will be responsible for maintaining contact with you to resolve your issues. Once a complaint is referred to a service provider, it is typically resolved within 10 working days.

We will monitor the progress of your complaint and when notified by the service provider that your complaint has been resolved we will review your case and close as appropriate.

Thank you for contacting ComReg.

This morning, upon seeing GavPJ's post I sent them the following:
    Could you advise me of the status of this complaint please?

I have recently become aware that Zamano continue to engage in fraud within this jurisdiction.

To which they responded:
    Thank you for your email.

I can advise that due to ComReg's statute of limitations in relation to Premium Rate Service issues your case cannot be re-raised as it has been over 2 years since the issue was raised with ComReg.

I can although advise that in 2017 Zamano did advise that you had been processed a refund and a log file had been sent to you as requested.

Unfortunately ComReg would not be in a position to pursue your case any further as a resolution had been provided in the form of a refund in 2017 and it would be outside or regulatory remit to do so.

If you have any further issues in the future please do not hesitate to contact ComReg.

Any previous correspondence related to this case is noted in the table below. All correspondence from ComReg will have had the same subject as this email: Your ComReg Case Reference Number xxx has been updated.

So there you have it.

If the regulated body engages in systematic theft, and a single victim notices this theft and has he time and energy to pursue it, and the regulated body then returns the money to this single individual, the regulatory authority is not in a position to pursue the matter because this is a perfectly adequate resolution.

Frankly I feel like a fool for not setting up a company to steal money in this manner. How many millions have Zamano made from those who don't know how to stand up for themselves?

Of course if I went to the Guards with this they'd tell me it's a matter for ComReg.

And people will tell you with a straight face that Ireland is capable of regulating Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

According to this post...
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/107864465
    ...Three were (and probably still are) "helping" Zamano.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Zamanoed this morning at 9 trying to exit an annoying pop-up on my phone, don't know how it happened, got a message that said I was charged 15 euro for six babe videos and got six texts in a row, emailed them (Zamano) and they refunded my Paypal by €15 euros this afternoon. But so annoying trying to resolve all this nonsense. Thank God for this thread I wouldn't have known where to start.

I hope the €15 is all they have taken, I haven't got confirmation from my provider, 3, yet as to what has been taken from my bill.
    Also texted stop and got message saying I am unsubscribed from all future messages.

I have no idea how they got my number, I was just exiting a pop-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

QueenRizla wrote: »
    Zamanoed this morning at 9 trying to exit an annoying pop-up on my phone, don't know how it happened, got a message that said I was charged 15 euro for six babe videos and got six texts in a row, emailed them (Zamano) and they refunded my Paypal by €15 euros this afternoon. But so annoying trying to resolve all this nonsense. Thank God for this thread I wouldn't have known where to start.

I hope the €15 is all they have taken, I haven't got confirmation from my provider, 3, yet as to what has been taken from my bill.
    Also texted stop and got message saying I am unsubscribed from all future messages.

Chances are that it was a fake exit button and thats how they get you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

Vicxas wrote: »
    Chances are that it was a fake exit button and thats how they get you

Press nothing! Close the window is the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Evil_g wrote: »
    I lodged a complaint with ComReg in early 2017. They told me I couldn't proceed until I had pursued the matter with Zamano.

So I sent Zamano the following:

Zamano responded with a few screenshots from dodgy banner ads, and the following gibberish:

This might have scared a teenage boy into submission, and many people don't have the energy to make proper complaints, but I don't visit websites with cr@p like that on them, and wouldn't be stupid enough to click on them if I did.

I also had a lot of time on my hands in early 2017.

So I then sent Comreg the following:

Comreg replied with the following:

This morning, upon seeing GavPJ's post I sent them the following:

To which they responded:

So there you have it.

If the regulated body engages in systematic theft, and a single victim notices this theft and has he time and energy to pursue it, and the regulated body then returns the money to this single individual, the regulatory authority is not in a position to pursue the matter because this is a perfectly adequate resolution.

Frankly I feel like a fool for not setting up a company to steal money in this manner. How many millions have Zamano made from those who don't know how to stand up for themselves?

Of course if I went to the Guards with this they'd tell me it's a matter for ComReg.

And people will tell you with a straight face that Ireland is capable of regulating Facebook.

Comreg are as useful as tits on a bull.

Also let’s ban premium calls. No decent business needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

QueenRizla wrote: »

I also got Zamoned this morning as well.. It was 8am and I was in the shower... I got the notifications on my watch and i was in the shower saying, What the fork... as i wasnt even on my phone....

Contacted THREE and i have been charged €15.36 .. Contacted Zamano and they refunded me €15.00 on paypal straight away, but i am still down and i have no idea how it happened..

Advertisement