Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sounds like she meant she paid her own way and SE paid for extra tours and stuff

That is exactly what happened. Thanks. But no thanks from the recipient either.

My Auntie told me years ago to watch the leeches. But I always thought she was over the top.

She was soooo right. Bless you auntie K.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sullivlo wrote: »
    And in the 2 years I am there, he has never once bought milk for the office
    Organise the next Secret Santa so he gets a months supply of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

A lad I'm living with asked me to pick him up some Timotei shampoo from the shop last decemeber. I brought it home, and when I asked for the £1.79 he turned around and said he didn't want it anymore.

He then knocked on my door the next day asking could he use my shampoo... Handed him my Boots brand coconut stuff. The cheeky ****ebag then said "ah no mate have you not got that timotei stuff instead?" Little wanker, he got no shampoo in the end. Greasy stingy stoners eh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So here's a story from the other side of the spectrum, when you are the one considered stingy....BUT IT'S NOT BLOODY TRUE !!!! :(:(:(

Was at the Dubs v Galway schtick fightin' game at Parnell Park tonight. T'was a very cold night, so I packed a big flask of hot chocolate. My friend brought a wee drop of rum. So we were well sorted to survive the cold.

At half time, a mutual friend (a real cheapskate) shows up and casts longing eyes towards our yummy beverage. We offer to share it with him, if he can provide his own cup. Off he stalks in a huff & doesn't come back. (I am usually ok with sharing my cup or glass, with a close friend, or someone I knew well. But I barely know this guy, I have no idea where his mouth has been, so sorry bud...)

A couple of hours later, I am in the local pub and am chatting about the game to some friends. Am told that yer man had just been in and was bitching seeing my friend and I at the game. And get this, he has told every one that he gave us a wide berth, as we were too cheap too share our hot drink with him.

No, we bloody weren't, you miserable prick. We are just rather picky about who we choose to share our saliva with. Gobshyte !!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I can't remember if i posted this before but here we go anyway. I was reminded of the story in the pub tonight.

A friend of mine is loaded to the hilt. Inherited a fortune from childless aunts and uncles. In fairness he is not stingy per se but loves to pull a stroke.

He put the Volvo through the NCT a few years ago and it failed on a chipped headlight lens. He rang a scrapyard and was quoted 50 quid for a new lamp/lens, whatever. He sent his wife to buy it in another car. He fitted it himself and sailed throught the NCT re-check. The following day he sent his wife back with the lamp and got her to say the lamp wouldn't fit and got the money back. He's still driving around with the broken headlamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

sligojoek wrote: »
    I can't remember if i posted this before but here we go anyway…
    Yeah, you did 9 months ago. Very stingy behaviour altogether :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

sligojoek wrote: »
    I can't remember if i posted this before but here we go anyway. I was reminded of the story in the pub tonight.

A friend of mine is loaded to the hilt. Inherited a fortune from childless aunts and uncles. In fairness he is not stingy per se but loves to pull a stroke.

He put the Volvo through the NCT a few years ago and it failed on a chipped headlight lens. He rang a scrapyard and was quoted 50 quid for a new lamp/lens, whatever. He sent his wife to buy it in another car. He fitted it himself and sailed throught the NCT re-check. The following day he sent his wife back with the lamp and got her to say the lamp wouldn't fit and got the money back. He's still driving around with the broken headlamp.

He'll have the same problem in one or two years time, unless he's planning to change the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

ProudDUB wrote: »
    So here's a story from the other side of the spectrum, when you are the one considered stingy....BUT IT'S NOT BLOODY TRUE !!!! :(:(:(

Was at the Dubs v Galway schtick fightin' game at Parnell Park tonight. T'was a very cold night, so I packed a big flask of hot chocolate. My friend brought a wee drop of rum. So we were well sorted to survive the cold.

At half time, a mutual friend (a real cheapskate) shows up and casts longing eyes towards our yummy beverage. We offer to share it with him, if he can provide his own cup. Off he stalks in a huff & doesn't come back. (I am usually ok with sharing my cup or glass, with a close friend, or someone I knew well. But I barely know this guy, I have no idea where his mouth has been, so sorry bud...)

A couple of hours later, I am in the local pub and am chatting about the game to some friends. Am told that yer man had just been in and was bitching seeing my friend and I at the game. And get this, he has told every one that he gave us a wide berth, as we were too cheap too share our hot drink with him.

No, we bloody weren't, you miserable prick. We are just rather picky about who we choose to share our saliva with. Gobshyte !!!! :mad::mad::mad:

If he is a known cheapskate, people will know darn well that he is bullsh1tting. They are probably all laughing behind his back, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

ProudDUB wrote: »

First thing that popped into my head was are you mixing rum with hot chocolate? If so, that's an interesting concoction, not sure I'd be doing rounds on it though.

Have two stinge stories from two previous co workers.

A miserable cow who used bring her dirty washing in and use the washer dryer in the utility room for the cleaners. We thought she may be in some bedsit or somewhere without mod cons although she was on decent wedge but one day she proudly announced that she saves a packet on bills as she only uses the washer dryer at home when she's on holidays...she'd always not have her purse when there was a whip around for someone on some occasion, would always make sure to have her name on the card though. I will admit those whip around are a pain in the hole, I must've given easily over €150 in a year for people I barely knew nor cared were having a baby or leaving or whatever it was, does this qualify as stingey? If so I'll take it on the chin.

The second story I'll get back to, I'm on the couch in a fairly **** state and the thoughts of a rum and chocolate cocktail and typing haven't helped:(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The second story I'll get back to, I'm on the couch in a fairly **** state and the thoughts of a rum and chocolate cocktail and typing haven't helped:(.
    Stingy for not telling the second story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Worst stinges are fur coat no knickers kind. A friends mother goes around her town in the latest and greatest fashions from Brown Thomas, lavish handbags, designer shoes etc only to raise her family in complete poverty to the point where food was in short demand and rarely bought. Can't stand people like that, though in fairness my own mother was obsessed with what people thought of her and people's opinions of her too, despite her never having a social circle, hobbies or friends. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I know a girl who works as a nurse in a hospital. She won't buy toilet paper, soap, shampoo, towels, she will steal all of these items from work. She sees a refuse service at her house as a waste of money and too expensive, so she brings all her rubbish into work or into public bins near her house. She won't turn on the heating at home as it costs too much to have a warm house. Yet she has a penchant for Brown Thomas clothing, loves her few drinks and attending functions as a socialite of sorts. Pure stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

My sister, who runs a small, local fruit & veg shop, told me this one at the weekend.

A local photographer was doing a study in yellow or some such. He came into the shop, picked up, looked at and felt up (:)), various yellow fruits and veg - melons, bananas, yellow peppers, etc. He put the ones he wanted on the counter, and then asked my sister if he could "borrow" them for a photo-shoot and return them. He seemed genuinely surprised when she said no! It's also worth saying that this was the first time he had ever even come into our shop, so it was even more of a cheek! Not to mention the amount of handling of fragile produce that went on.

Same fella knows how to charge for this photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Worst stinges are fur coat no knickers kind. A friends mother goes around her town in the latest and greatest fashions from Brown Thomas, lavish handbags, designer shoes etc only to raise her family in complete poverty to the point where food was in short demand and rarely bought. Can't stand people like that, though in fairness my own mother was obsessed with what people thought of her and people's opinions of her too, despite her never having a social circle, hobbies or friends. Go figure.

dunno about that, you wont fit into dem skinny fashions if you're eating like a lord.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In one of my previous jobs, the office used to close an hour later on a Thursday, so we all got an afternoon tea break. We had a tea kitty that everyone paid into every month, and we used it to buy milk, teabags, etc for the communal kitchen. On Thursdays we used to always buy a few treats for the tea break - we worked around the corner from a Tesco, so we'd generally buy a few of the own-brand bags of fun size bars, and then a few packets of biscuits.

For some reason if you went upstairs after 4pm, all the bars and stuff would be gone, and there'd be only a few scabby biscuits left. We even mentioned it at the weekly staff meeting, and asked that people be conscious of the fact that about a third of the office won't get their break til after 4 so please try and leave some stuff for them - still no change. The people who took the earlier breaks swore up and down that they'd left plenty of stuff, but there was never anything left on the late break.

One day I nipped up to the loo at about 5 to 4, and decided to grab a glass of water out of the kitchen on my way downstairs. In I went to find one of the women who worked part-time (finished at 3:30) emptying all the sweets and treats into a shopping bag! She looked shocked to see me walk in, and told me she was bringing the stuff home for her kids because it was left over and nobody would want it tomorrow. I pointed out the late-break people never get anything and she very reluctantly took a couple of bits out of the bag and left them on the table.

After that, we used to leave one a bag of stuff in the drawer in the manager's office, so the late break people would have something nice for their break, because despite being caught by me, and despite me telling everyone it was her, she kept doing it! The real joke was that she was actually minted, she was one of these people who worked part-time just for something to do, her husband was earning crazy money. I'd say the kids had never tasted own-brand anything in their entire lives. And both her kids were in their late teens.

A couple of months later, I caught her stealing boxes of pens out of the stationery room. She had about 6 boxes (each had about 50 pens) in her arms, and she told me her son needed them because his leaving cert was next week!! I reckon her house must have been full to the brim of cheap chocolate, and stolen pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You did of course rat her out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Toots wrote: »

despite being caught by me, and despite me telling everyone it was her, she kept doing it!
    Birneybau wrote: »
    You did of course rat her out?

:)

rawn wrote: »
    :)

Time for tea! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

A friend of mine had a penpal in Argentina in the mid noughties. He was the stingiest bastard going.

Whenever he sent her letters, he would put a small square of transparent plastic over the stamp (the square itself was transparent and didn't actually stick to the stamp) and selotape to secure it in place.

Whenever the stamp was being "cancelled" in the sorting office, the machine would stamp over the plastic or if a person was dong it. they wouldn't really be noticed they'd probably be going through so many letters at a time.

In his letters, he used to tell her to cut out the stamp and send it back. He used to reuse the same stamp over and over and over again, and if he could get away with it, the same envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

First thing that popped into my head was are you mixing rum with hot chocolate? If so, that's an interesting concoction, not sure I'd be doing rounds on it though.

Oh my dear, hot chocolate and rum (the dark, spicy Dr Morgan variety) go together like a marriage made in heaven. They are utterly divine on a cold winters night ! :D

Was chatting to my cousin today, about our respective summer holiday plans. Every year her husbands side of the family rent three beach side holiday cottages in Co Clare. There are 4 couples, all their kids and granny. As with most holiday cottages, they are kitted out with the bare minimum, so a lot of supplies have to be brought with them, to make the cottages livable for 3 weeks.

To make things easier and cut down on the expense and trouble of the same things being brought, they break the supplies down into the categories of Kitchen, Bathroom, BBQ and Beach & First Aid. Each couple is responsible for one category. So if you are on Kitchen Duty, you'd bring washing up liquid, tea towels, dishwasher tabs, paper towels etc etc. If you are bathroom duty, you bring toilet rolls, Dettol, toilet cleaner, etc etc and so on and so forth. The cottages are a good distance away from the nearest shop, so there is no quick run to the shops if you are out of something.

It's a well run system, but for one of the sisters in law. She never brings anything. Every year, its a different excuse - oh, I forgot, oh I wasn't sure what to bring, oh I never got a chance to go to the shops. The daft thing is that everyone just brings most of the supplies from their own houses. She seriously expects her own family to believe that she doesn't have any toilet rolls or washing up liquid, in her own house. She's thick as well as mean !

Every year, when she arrives empty handed, she makes no effort to make a run to the Supervalu in the nearest town, to stock up on the things she said she would bring, but didn't. She acts like nothing has happened and whats the big deal? She brings stinge to a whole new level. And its entirely unnecessary, she and her husband are on good money and have a good standard of living, but it's just pure meanness on her part.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Wouldn't it be terrible if they "forgot" to invite her along next summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Toots wrote: »
    In one of my previous jobs, the office used to close an hour later on a Thursday, so we all got an afternoon tea break. We had a tea kitty that everyone paid into every month, and we used it to buy milk, teabags, etc for the communal kitchen. On Thursdays we used to always buy a few treats for the tea break - we worked around the corner from a Tesco, so we'd generally buy a few of the own-brand bags of fun size bars, and then a few packets of biscuits.

For some reason if you went upstairs after 4pm, all the bars and stuff would be gone, and there'd be only a few scabby biscuits left. We even mentioned it at the weekly staff meeting, and asked that people be conscious of the fact that about a third of the office won't get their break til after 4 so please try and leave some stuff for them - still no change. The people who took the earlier breaks swore up and down that they'd left plenty of stuff, but there was never anything left on the late break.

One day I nipped up to the loo at about 5 to 4, and decided to grab a glass of water out of the kitchen on my way downstairs. In I went to find one of the women who worked part-time (finished at 3:30) emptying all the sweets and treats into a shopping bag! She looked shocked to see me walk in, and told me she was bringing the stuff home for her kids because it was left over and nobody would want it tomorrow. I pointed out the late-break people never get anything and she very reluctantly took a couple of bits out of the bag and left them on the table.

After that, we used to leave one a bag of stuff in the drawer in the manager's office, so the late break people would have something nice for their break, because despite being caught by me, and despite me telling everyone it was her, she kept doing it! The real joke was that she was actually minted, she was one of these people who worked part-time just for something to do, her husband was earning crazy money. I'd say the kids had never tasted own-brand anything in their entire lives. And both her kids were in their late teens.

A couple of months later, I caught her stealing boxes of pens out of the stationery room. She had about 6 boxes (each had about 50 pens) in her arms, and she told me her son needed them because his leaving cert was next week!! I reckon her house must have been full to the brim of cheap chocolate, and stolen pens.

Brilliant stinge story Toots! Some people are unreal. Imagine filling the shopping bag every week, and she was probably sitting there blandly, before being found out, while it was being discussed about stuff disappearing!
    I have a great image of her house, like something out of 'Only Fools and Horses' with the stolen stuff stashed around.

She was unreal! I remember a few months prior to all this I'd had to do an 'audit' of the tea fund to see was everyone paying in - basically there was a big sign in the kitchen that said "If you drink the tea/coffee/milk or eat the butter and biscuits, you need to pay in to the tea fund. Please see Toots or Toots' Colleague for a standing order form". We all set it up that on payday, a fiver would go into the tea account.

When I checked the tea account, I'd discovered that 4 people weren't paying in; one genuinely didn't use any of the stuff in the kitchen, two others had only started the previous month, and the fourth person was our chocolate stealing friend. At the staff meeting that week I just said "Not going to name individuals, but if you're using the stuff in the kitchen and you're not paying in to the tea fund, you need to either start paying, or just use your own stuff. I've got the forms, so if anyone needs one let me know." She immediately piped up that she shouldn't have to pay into it seeing as she only worked part time, but then the other two part timers pointed out that they both pay into it, because they still get a tea break - albeit a shorter one.

In the end she agreed to set up a standing order, and I gave her the form - she handed it back to me with the amount €2.50 filled in, instead of a fiver! She said that because she wasn't there all day, she shouldn't have to pay the full amount! I didn't pursue it at that stage, because I knew it'd be a massive headache to get the rest of the money off her, but then when we all later found out she was robbing all the treats out of the kitchen, everyone was livid! She was probably robbing about a fivers worth of chocolate out of there every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

I know a girl who works as a nurse in a hospital. She won't buy toilet paper, soap, shampoo, towels, she will steal all of these items from work. She sees a refuse service at her house as a waste of money and too expensive, so she brings all her rubbish into work or into public bins near her house. She won't turn on the heating at home as it costs too much to have a warm house. Yet she has a penchant for Brown Thomas clothing, loves her few drinks and attending functions as a socialite of sorts. Pure stinge.

Reminded me of the scrubs episode where they had the house filled with a thousand prepack hospital desert supplements to live off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Another one from working in a supermarket.

Used to cut display rolls for the deli counter. Sliced roll with some folded ham lettuce tomato etc. Would be on display in the refrigeration unit of the counter for a day or so until the lettuce started to fade, the bread would be rightly stale at this stage.

I remember some crusty guy coming in asking what we did with the display rolls (basically fishing for me to give it to him for free). He got so irate when I told him we had to bin them (EHO rules) that he went and complained to the store manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My dad used to work with this fella who was notoriously stingy.

He was going to the shop, and my dad asked him to buy him a roll, and a packet of crisps. He gave him €3. He came back with just a roll, my dad asked him had they no crisps, the chap said "They did, but you were 10c short for them". As he tucked into his roll, crisps, bar and drink.

Another time, one of the lads on the job invited everyone around to his house for a fry for lunch as his house was 5 minutes away. Every chipped in €2 or so to cover the cost of the meat, eggs ect. The same fella left €1 because he didn't like the sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

sullivlo wrote: »
    This isn't the stingiest thing I've seen but in an attempt to get the thread back on topic...

We have a communal fridge in work where we store food and milk. We each have our own coffee / nespresso capsules, but we share teabags. Essentially whenever they run out, someone goes and buys them. It tends to even out in that whoever drinks tea, eventually buys teabags. No issue with teabags.

However milk is a different story. We all, again, tend to take it in turns to buy milk. I usually have my own (skim milk for porridge) and others would be the same (super milk / lactose free / whatever). Anyway, there's nearly always a communal milk on the go too as I'd sometimes buy one for making tea or whatever. 99% of the time there is one there.

There is one particular colleague in our office who earns more than all of us (we all know each other's salary as we're all on the same definable scale). And in the 2 years I am there, he has never once bought milk for the office, yet he drinks more coffee than anyone. He would also never think of bringing in a packet of biscuits or anything, yet will gladly eat anything else that's left there by anyone else.

Little thing but it bugs me.

Plenty of places I've worked in, something would have been said to his face, and non too gently, either. I don't get this being polite or reticent when confronted by someone who relentlessly takes the piss like that - what it boils down to is stealing from his colleagues.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

My dad used to work with this fella who was notoriously stingy.

He was going to the shop, and my dad asked him to buy him a roll, and a packet of crisps. He gave him 3. He came back with just a roll, my dad asked him had they no crisps, the chap said "They did, but you were 10c short for them". As he tucked into his roll, crisps, bar and drink.

Another time, one of the lads on the job invited everyone around to his house for a fry for lunch as his house was 5 minutes away. Every chipped in 2 or so to cover the cost of the meat, eggs ect. The same fella left 1 because he didn't like the sausages.
    Add your reply here.

Maybe your Dads collegue knew your father to be a tight fisted git and always paid short. .

Add your reply here.

Maybe your Dads collegue knew your father to be a tight fisted git and always paid short. .

Gwan outa that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Add your reply here.

Every other worker covered each other if they were the one going to shop and were short, it always balanced out.

Advertisement