Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

This guy is worth €60 billion. Like a lot of the stinges here he seems to possess an almost pathological aversion to the act of physically handing over money, even to the point that it's probably costing him more money in an abstract sense. I mean, what's the value of an hour of his time when he's that rich and old? What's the point going out of your way (and presumably bringing at least one assistant with you) for a $2 haircut when you could have the best barber in the country come to your hotel for $20?
    “I don’t think I’m wearing anything that wasn’t bought at a flea market"

“Normally, I try to get my haircut when I’m in a developing country. Last time it was in Vietnam,”

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/10/ikea-billionaire-ingvar-kamprad-buys-his-clothes-at-second-hand-stalls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

sabat wrote: »
    This guy is worth €60 billion. Like a lot of the stinges here he seems to possess an almost pathological aversion to the act of physically handing over money, even to the point that it's probably costing him more money in an abstract sense. I mean, what's the value of an hour of his time when he's that rich and old? What's the point going out of your way (and presumably bringing at least one assistant with you) for a $2 haircut when you could have the best barber in the country come to your hotel for $20?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/10/ikea-billionaire-ingvar-kamprad-buys-his-clothes-at-second-hand-stalls

thats not be frugal its just pure meaness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Worked in a shop once where a man came in to check his Lotto ticket. He had a match 3 and bonus. I proceeded to give him his winnings. He looked at me and asked where was the winnings for matching 3 as well. He even tried to give back the winnings, take back the ticket and try another shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

flazio wrote: »
    Worked in a shop once where a man came in to check his Lotto ticket. He had a match 3 and bonus. I proceeded to give him his winnings. He looked at me and asked where was the winnings for matching 3 as well. He even tried to give back the winnings, take back the ticket and try another shop.

That's not being stingy so much as it is being a scam artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

JustShon wrote: »

I remember my friend buying a scratch card and he got 4 €5's on it. He convinced the shopkeeper that if you get 4 of a number you multiply the prize by 4. So instead of his €5 prize, the shopkeeper gave him €20. I thought it was genius at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't think it was an intended scam. The ticket was genuine, he just didn't understand how the Lottery worked. I think it was stingy because if I had won €200 I wouldn't be whinging over an extra €5 or a scratchcard.

I don't think it was an intended scam. The ticket was genuine, he just didn't understand how the Lottery worked. I think it was stingy because if I had won €200 I wouldn't be whinging over an extra €5 or a scratchcard.

The fact that he tried to get the ticket back so he could try again at another shop makes it smell of scam to me.

I mean maybe scam is too harsh a word, chancing his arm might be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

sebcity wrote: »
    I remember my friend buying a scratch card and he got 4 €5's on it. He convinced the shopkeeper that if you get 4 of a number you multiply the prize by 4. So instead of his €5 prize, the shopkeeper gave him €20. I thought it was genius at the time!

Years ago in my very small and very quiet local pub (as in me and a few other teenagers would generally be the only people to be in the lounge part on a weekday) one of the scummier lads won the €250 jackpot on the fruit machine. Given how local and quiet the place is, the barmaid, who we all knew well, trusted him to reset the machine and paid out from the till. He then went round and turned off the machine before coming back the next day and claiming it again from that day's different barmaid! Not stingy, just stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

I'd say that €60 billion to him is just a number, his scorecard in the game of business. Just because he's worth billions should he buy huge yachts, massive houses, all the trappings of the billionaire lifestyle? I would think that such things mean absolutely nothing to him.

He mentions that thriftiness is a habit in Sweden and he would in all probability be as thrifty as your average Swedish pensioner.

It's simply the fact that he is worth so much that exaggerate's his thrifty way's and you see stories like that about him saving a buck on a haircut. "He must be mentally ill!" etc.

If he was starting off with Ikea and was beyond lavish with his financing, paying over the odds to suppliers, overpaying his staff etc etc then a competitor who did pinch every krona would have been able to undercut them significantly by passing the saving along to the customer, then built a customer base and it grows from there. It's a common theme with behemoth companies such as Ikea where the founder was extremely frugal when it came to expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

On a night out with a group of friends a few years back. One particularly stingy friend in the group.

Heading for the chipper after a few pints and he asks another friend of mine for a loan of €2 for a bag of chips. Now, knowing what this fella is like, my friend pulled him on it and asked him "Do you not have any cash on you?"

His reply?

"Ah well I do ya, but I don't want to break a fiver"

True story.

• Advertisement

IrishZeus wrote: »

"Ah well I do ya, but I don't want to break a fiver"

True story.

Break a fiver? Sufferin' Christ a fiver is honourary loose change for fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Break a fiver? Sufferin' Christ a fiver is honourary loose change for fcuk sake.

That's a good way to put that. I've just recently started trying to put an odd fiver in my change bottle because it is basically in the coinage category of value nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

valoren wrote: »

It's simply the fact that he is worth so much that exaggerate's his thrifty way's and you see stories like that about him saving a buck on a haircut. "He must be mentally ill!" etc.

The point I was making is that he's probably costing himself money by going to so much trouble to avoid handing over small amounts of cash. Let's assume this 90 year old billionaire isn't walking around Ho Chi Minh's streets alone and has some staff/security with him-they have be paid when they could be doing more valuable work. Even if he's alone the abstract actuarial cost of the risk of him being robbed or knocked down is far greater than the few dollars he's saving. Then there's the question of how he's perceived by his business partners in certain countries-acting like this and showing up in 2nd hand clothes etc means he's taken less seriously and gets worse deals in negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Then there's the question of how he's perceived by his business partners in certain countries-acting like this and showing up in 2nd hand clothes etc means he's taken less seriously and gets worse deals in negotiations.

I'm sure this has had a hugely negative impact on his business, as evidenced by him only being the 4th richest man in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm sure this has had a hugely negative impact on his business, as evidenced by him only being the 4th richest man in the world.

lack of ambition as well as stingy. No wonder he's giving it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Was in McDonald's a while back for their free breakfast Friday, a fella came in, Addidas tracksuit, he asked could he go ahead of me as he was in a rush so I said fine no problem, he gets the free food and proceeds to stuff his pockets with the sachets of Heinz, the straws and the napkins!

The place was totally packed that day and there he was nearly robbing the place before heading on with himself! He must have put as least 20 of each into his pockets.

I've never seen anything like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Niemoj wrote: »
    Was in McDonald's a while back for their free breakfast Friday, a fella came in, Addidas tracksuit, he asked could he go ahead of me as he was in a rush so I said fine no problem, he gets the free food and proceeds to stuff his pockets with the sachets of Heinz, the straws and the napkins!

The place was totally packed that day and there he was nearly robbing the place before heading on with himself! He must have put as least 20 of each into his pockets.

Hmm, did he look like this by any chance?

maudgonner wrote: »

Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that there's a McDonald's wikia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that there's a McDonald's wikia?

I know! And the Hamburglar 'has always been viewed as a valuable member of the McDonaldland community'. Crime pays, kids - according to MickeyDs.

(And they made him sexy in 2015 - that's just wrong...)

I know! And the Hamburglar 'has always been viewed as a valuable member of the McDonaldland community'. Crime pays, kids - according to MickeyDs.

(And they made him sexy in 2015 - that's just wrong...)

He's a close friend of Ronald McDonald apparently, some fcuking friend. You want to talk about stinge? How about this little sh1te who makes friends with poor Ronald just so he can steal hamburgers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Niemoj wrote: »

with the exception of someone who is homeless and without a cent to their name I'd label anyone who actually goes for these free breakfasts mornings in mcdonalds as a stinge bag themself. i've heard its absolute mayhem all for a manky mcmuffin or what it is and to save a few euro. I'd gladly pay the few euro not be in that environment.

with the exception of someone who is homeless and without a cent to their name I'd label anyone who actually goes for these free breakfasts mornings in mcdonalds as a stinge bag themself. i've heard its absolute mayhem all for a manky mcmuffin or what it is and to save a few euro. I'd gladly pay the few euro not be in that environment.

This particular chap isn't homeless anyway.

Yeah, it's chaos in there, people will flock for ages to get something for free! Queues out the door. I went with my friend and got a milkshake haha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

valoren wrote: »
    I'd say that €60 billion to him is just a number, his scorecard in the game of business.

IAnd what if he was physically hoarding 60 billion items that he never intended to use.

Imagine if he was hoarding 60 million books and we knew he was taking a week to read a book ?

That was him! The bastard!

Haha:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Like everyone i hate breaking a 50 euro note for something small, had to break a 50 on a friday for my burger king today as i was 40c short. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Im an avid money planner (Have an app on my phone which i speculate what will spend each week/weekend, funds for hoidays/concerts etc).

Id hit myself if i ever to get stage where i pay for my lunch with all 10c coins (a pet hate of mine when i see someone do that)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Like everyone i hate breaking a 50 euro note for something small, had to break a 50 on a friday for my burger king today as i was 40c short.
    For, eh, normal people, could you inform us what is your motivation is to not break notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Victor wrote: »
    For, eh, normal people, could you inform us what is your motivation is to not break notes?

It is quite irritating to go from a nice crisp 50 note to a whole bunch of small notes and tiny change. Not irritating enough to make one be a stingebag, but still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Like everyone i hate breaking a 50 euro note for something small, had to break a 50 on a friday for my burger king today as i was 40c short. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Im an avid money planner (Have an app on my phone which i speculate what will spend each week/weekend, funds for hoidays/concerts etc).

Id hit myself if i ever to get stage where i pay for my lunch with all 10c coins (a pet hate of mine when i see someone do that)

I've read this a few times and I still haven't a clue what point it is you're trying to make, who the stinge is and just generally wtf is going on...in all 3 paragraphs

are you by any chance drinking some serious low grade home brew hooch as part of your money saver app plan and it is affecting your judgment and train of thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair, there are few feelings in the world than paying for a bus/LUAS fare with a mountain of accumulated change/coins, all no bigger than 10c. You don't even have to feel guilty shoving it all in, a driver told me before he's not the one who has to count it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

So wait , this free macdonalds breakfasts, is it actually FREE ?
    or free when you buy another meal ?

Any swinging dick can just waltz in and get a meal for $0.00 ?

Advertisement