Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

JustShon wrote: »
    Reading this made me really angry.

When you see people arrive for reductions that's fine,
    it's thrifty and beneficial to the store and if that's the way they
    want to spend their evening that's nobody's business.

But when you sacrifice your dignity like that to literally make a
    holy show of your whole family for some discount chicken you're
    either in serious financial trouble or you're a complete scabby fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

elfy4eva wrote: »

Agreed, when I was unemployed I'd show up at reduction time but I never mugged staff over it. I just looked on the shelves for cheap meat to have for dinner that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

cw67irl wrote: »
    I can't remember a time I didn't see this in my local tesco. I even saw a crowd of people all in a circle around the heater thing with the cooked chickens ect in it. I went over to see what was on they were a large group (family) blocking anyone who wanted a chicken or whatever as they knew it was time they were reduced so were waiting on the staff member to reduce them so they could buy everything up at the discount rate!!
    I saw a woman in my local Tesco go up to the til with a pack of diced chicken and asked the girl why werent they reduced as they were best before tomorrow. The girl said if they are still there in the morning they will be reduced.
    The woman couldnt understand or accept that they werent reduced there and then.
    I sometimes buy stuff from 'Salmonella corner' myself. you can get lucky any time of the day, I always have a quick browse when im in the shop. At Christmas I got one of them mc colgan pies for 18c. It went straight into the freezer, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

re read and realised you were talking about the 9 pm ones. anyone who goes shopping at that hour has problems anyways! There was one occasion when I picked up a packet of reduced sausages and that young women yelled THAT IS MY TROLLEY! She had taken every item off the shelf..But some are like the one you see re the sales are they not?

I saw a woman in my local Tesco go up to the til with a pack of diced chicken and asked the girl why werent they reduced as they were best before tomorrow. The girl said if they are still there in the morning they will be reduced.
    The woman couldnt understand or accept that they werent reduced there and then.
    I sometimes buy stuff from 'Salmonella corner' myself. you can get lucky any time of the day, I always have a quick browse when im in the shop. At Christmas I got one of them mc colgan pies for 18c. It went straight into the freezer, happy days

She was just cheeky! Owning up; one day in tesco the only jar of Gold Blend left had a cracked lid. I took it to a nice lady in customer service and she happily reduced it. Dunnes at opening time is grand and then they put the bread and cakes out that are reduced. I eat better than I would else. A big loaf for 16 cents... And eat some interesting things too! But always polite and thankful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Tesco would do well to stop refusing entry to some^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Kildare to Kilkenny is half the distance of Glasgow to Carlisle. It's closer to Dublin to Thurles in distance. If I go to the Irish Rail website a return today on that route is €48, Glasgow to Carlisle return is £20 (€27). Even the Anytime ticket is £37 return, €49 nearly the same as Irish Rail.

Maybe on that day due to the demand and buying at the station, etc. you were hard done by on price but it's not always extortionate.

I should have qualified my first post with it was about 10 years ago. A lot could have changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ah the simple pleasure of happening across a thrift chicken in Tesco. These are great moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I go into Tesco whenever Im passing late for the great bread bargains, not the bland muck they usually sell, the stuff like their Dubliner cheese bread, Finest Ciabattas, diamond rolls etc, thats some of the nicest bread Ive ever eaten anywhere and you can get it yellow sticker for 12 cent, I dont feel like a stinge doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

gimmick wrote: »
    Ah the simple pleasure of happening across a thrift chicken in Tesco. These are great moments.

Nice finding a treasure trove of reduced stuff in tesco in general. Love going in at the end of the day and finding piles of sandwiches reduced to 60c odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yep. Unfortunately I have a well off aunt who raids the discount shelf every week in Tesco immediately after it's been stocked. It's a pathetic way to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I remember last year being in tesco one evening when the reduced section had been moved to a different aisle. Panic, confusion and fear were the expressions visible on peoples faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JustShon wrote: »
    Reading this made me really angry.

I worked in a Tesco about 10 years back, mainly on the deli counter with the chickens and also did some of the price reductions on the bakery stuff. It's all completely true, and while I do feel for people who need that to get by or just want to make a saving (I've bought 10-odd bread rolls for a euro many times if I'm in late and they're on reduction), most (not all) of them have a habit of being extremely aggressive about it - to the point of bringing the stuff to you to reduce, often ahead of time, when the machine for doing so is in a different department, and then getting flat out red-face angry if you refused to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Billy86 wrote: »
    I worked in a Tesco about 10 years back

There was one guy who used to come into our shop who we caught hiding stuff behind boxes
    and shelves in the Produce dept. He would reclaim it in the evenings at final reduction time
    and approach staff to reduce it. When we learned where he was hiding it we'd gather it up
    like any loose stock. We had a great time watching him in the evenings p1ssed off pulling
    up the boxes in produce and none of the stuff being there.

It's just scummy and scabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The scrums at the reduced items thing in supermarkets is a sight to behold.

I don't want to appear superior or anything, but I really don't need reduced items, but a bargain is a bargain just the same!

I do peruse the shelves (when I can - depending on the number of shopping trolley maids blocking my view lol!).

I wait. I don't mind. But yesterday I got three packs of the (bliss) already peeled and batoned carrots for 40c each bag, about a kilo or so I think. No peeling and chopping for me! Straight into the pot for blanching when I got home, and bagged and into the freezer now for future use!

It's the little things.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I once walked 9km home after a night out rather than pay 20 euro for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I once walked 9km home after a night out rather than pay 20 euro for a taxi.

Shame on you coming onto this thread bragging about getting fresh air and exercise for free;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't want to appear superior or anything, but I really don't need reduced items
    Gizza fiver then, will ya! :)

Billy86 wrote: »
    Gizza fiver then, will ya! :)

I'd have to be a politician looking for a vote to do that now :D

My in-laws are totally stingy, and I mean I wouldn't mind if they were poor, but they're actually worth a few bob (second property rented out, two pensions from other jobs but still employed elsewhere themselves, no mortgage, etc).

Anyway, my boyfriend at the time (civil partner now) decides to treat them to a guided holiday around central Europe. Forget the exact itinerary but I know Prague and Dresden were both in there, so you know, it's a pretty nice part of the world. Nice towns, four star hotels, scenery, history, fine dining, good service, and so on.

The hotels include a breakfast self-service buffet, which they proceed to hit at the crack of dawn (hungry or not!) with a couple of plastic bags. Eat their fill first, then empty the remainder of the buffet into the bags to save for both lunch and dinner. This results in the hotels hanging signs over the breakfast bar that food is placed there for all guests, and shouldn't be taken away. In-laws pretend not to understand (they're from Russia) so the following day the sign is removed and replaced with another sign exclusively in Russian just for them.

Some absolutely fantastic restaurants on their doorstep and very affordable too (which I know first hand), except these guys prefer to boil sausages in a hotel room kettle instead.

• Advertisement

I don't want to appear superior or anything, but I really don't need reduced items, but a bargain is a bargain just the same!

I do peruse the shelves (when I can - depending on the number of shopping trolley maids blocking my view lol!).

I wait. I don't mind. But yesterday I got three packs of the (bliss) already peeled and batoned carrots for 40c each bag, about a kilo or so I think. No peeling and chopping for me! Straight into the pot for blanching when I got home, and bagged and into the freezer now for future use!

I do need them and like you I also ENJOY them. I get to try foods I could never afford else too. Last evening enjoyed Mikado biscuits at a third of the usual price.. Treats matter... Funny one; a few weeks ago in tesco on reduced I found a packet of six cooked turkey breast slices. Small slices... Reduced the label said from E24 to E12! Showed this to another lady and she grabbed it and went off to the deli counter to complain. Turned out it was wrongly labelled.. Last week I got a pack of chicken legs at Dunnes for 75 cents... ( I feed my dog and cats raw chicken each day) I enjoy seeing what is there..cheesecakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

Send your manservant next time. That way you won't have to fraternise with the peasantry... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I enjoy finding things in the reduced section. It gives me a chance to try things I haven't had before without spending a fortune. If I like it I will buy again at normal price.
    My local has pretty much stopped doing it though due to the hassle and give most of it to charity instead. At one stage they had to rope off the section and have the security guard standing beside the poor lad trying to change the prices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To all those who received a book from me as a Christmas present...

They are due back at the library today.

Send your manservant next time. That way you won't have to fraternise with the peasantry... :p

Ah but we are all the same when it boils down. As I said a bargain is a thrill no matter what.

I never push to get first dibs at these counters though, fair is fair, but when the crowd lessens, in I go.

And it's great, servant or no!

Beware! it is addictive, this reduced counter thing! Getting serious withdrawal symptoms just reading this ;) Needing out tomorrow to get my " fix" but oh MY! The weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Some absolutely fantastic restaurants on their doorstep and very affordable too (which I know first hand), except these guys prefer to boil sausages in a hotel room kettle instead.

:( drives me mad !! perfect example, when people could afford to enjoy themselves but dont! whats the point?

I remember my parents in law went to Israel on Turkish Airlines, when they got back I noticed a few packs of salt with the Turkish Air. logo on them - 1gram each.

At current prices of salt I worked out it was between 1/10th of ONE CENT and 1/3 of one cent in value.

Imagine making the effort to collect that on a plane and take it home ?? :confused:

And aswell, my inlaws would not be short of cash..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,157 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If only our forefathers who fought for our rights saw what stingy bastards we are

Oaps and students are the worst but apparently they have no money. They should go to Norway where everything is so expensive

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If only our forefathers who fought for our rights saw what stingy bastards we are

Oaps and students are the worst but apparently they have no money. They should go to Norway where everything is so expensive

Oh dear! We have little money at this time of year ( I am a pensioner by the way) and it has to stttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrreetch... I have family in Canada and food and eg vitamin supplements are horrendously expensive, literally six or seven times what I pay here.. ditto good irish tea. So what I save goes on things for them.. ;)Being thrifty is not being stingy ....It is being sensible and not letting good food go to waste. Tomorrow, 8.30 at Dunnes for me! I eat more and better when I can get reduced, and bless the person who told me re Dealz..The more I save the more I can give...makes sense to me ;) A large part of "rights" is the freedom to choose.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this counts as stingy, more like penny squeezing; my sister is a bit of a hoarder.

When I was helping her move house, I did whatever she said, no questions asked.... up until I was packing a bunch of sticks into her boot. A loose pile of sticks there was in her back garden. They could be used as firewood she said. At this point I had to ask her if she had always been bat**** insane or did it come on recently. I had to take a photo of her as she piled them into the boot.

Advertisement