Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The Mickey Gall fight is on this weekend. All he has to do to face Punk is beat Mike Jackson (a photographer with 1 MMA fight experience) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

In a way it's a pity the UFC announced he was coming at all

Looking back, maybe it would have been better to just let him train and then when he seemed ready for a fight announce he's signed for x fight in 2/3 months

Punk would never have liked that, id say he gets off on the fact he is a "UFC fighter" (well technically)

Even the fact he hasn't fought its a distraction from wrestling and gives him a purpose of sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CM Punk recently spoke with Kevin Wong of Complex Magazine. The full interview can be read at this link. Below are some highlights, including the awkward end to the interview:

Not wanting to answer WWE questions:

“I don’t feel like fielding questions about it [WWE]. I’ve been there, I’ve done that, and I’ve accomplished everything I was going to."

What specific areas he's working on improving with MMA:

“I work on everything... It’s a boring answer, because it’s kind of a boring question. This is mixed martial arts. I’m not in there one day, working on one specific thing, I’m in there everyday, working on everything. My defense, my wrestling defense, my striking defense. And not only do you have to defend, but you’re being judged by three people who don’t always see what other people are seeing.”

After Punk was asked if he's anxious or intimidated to go from pro wrestling to MMA, they had this awkward exchange that led to the interviewer being informed Punk never wanted to speak to him again:

“I get this question a lot, and it’s like you guys think I’m an idiot. Like I didn’t know MMA wasn’t pre-determined or something like that. Have you ever tweeted at me, ‘Hey, do you know what you’re getting into?’”

“I never have.”

“Okay. It sounds like you might have.”

“I don’t mean to put you on the defensive…”

“I’m not on the defensive. Your question is insulting. You’re asking me if I know the difference between the WWE and the UFC?”

“That’s not what I’m asking.”

“That’s exactly what you’re asking... You say my fans say that? You’re mistaken. My fans do not say that. I wouldn’t say anything to them [my critics]. I don’t justify stupidity with an answer. I don’t give a **** what anybody thinks of me, whether I’m going to fight or not. I know what I’m going to do. If I did anything in my life based on someone’s negative opinion on me, I would never ****ing leave my house. My fans are people who don’t tweet negative **** at me.”

Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/CM_Punk_Interview_Ends_After_Awkward_Exchange_Punk_on_Not_Answering_WWE_Questions_His_MMA_Training.html

"Nervous? I'm not nervous, you're nervous! Shut up!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jesus punk really comes across as a whiney moody teenager most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He must be a nightmare to be married to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So is Punk actually going to fight, ATM time seems to be his biggest opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Jester252 wrote: »

Most likely UFC 199 in June according to Dana White. It should be announced pretty soon once Mickey Gall wins tonight.

They should have it in Chicago.

Mickey Gall fight is up next. For anyone looking to watch for free it's on UFC fight pass where you can get a free 7-day trial. Just remember to cancel after tonight and you can watch the fight for free.

Punk is in the crowd.

As Ariel said "They couldn't have scripted it better than WWE".

All it needed was A Go To Sleep in the octagon. :D

The most pro wrestling thing about it was White and all the announcers going on about Gall's great performance - yer man Jackson was terrible.

• Advertisement

Punk said he wants to fight at UFC 200, but most likely UFC 199 according to White. I have a feeling if McGregor can't make 200 (for example if the Dos Anjos fight is brutal or he picks up an injury) they might look to Punk for 200 to make up for lack of star power. So they might wait until after McGregor-Dos Anjos before deciding. Kinda hope McGregor and Punk are on the same card, the press conferences would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

That would be great to have the 2 of them on the same card and maybe have that Polish wan as well if Ronda Rousey isn't going to be back. Depending on how Tate vs. Holm goes maybe that Women's championship too. Part of me wants to see CM Punk do well in UFC now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Loughc wrote: »
    Jesus punk really comes across as a whiney moody teenager most of the time.

Agreed. He is a thin skinned crybaby.

That would be great to have the 2 of them on the same card and maybe have that Polish wan as well if Ronda Rousey isn't going to be back. Depending on how Tate vs. Holm goes maybe that Women's championship too. Part of me wants to see CM Punk do well in UFC now.

Yeah, me too, mostly to see the reaction of the "UFC is jumping the shark" crowd if he gets a couple of wins.

Good call not trying to spell the Polish wan's name. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jester252 wrote: »
    I'd say there's about a 50% chance he fights this year at this point.
    Yeah, me too, mostly to see the reaction of the "UFC is jumping the shark" crowd if he gets a couple of wins.

And about a 10% chance he picks up a win...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd say there's about a 50% chance he fights this year at this point.

And about a 10% chance he picks up a win...

Can't see him winning at all, he always seemed fairly sloppy in the ring and not a great technician so I can't see him doing well in mma

sky88 wrote: »
    Can't see him winning at all, he always seemed fairly sloppy in the ring and not a great technician so I can't see him doing well in mma

I can't see one area where he could hope to have an advantage.
    Striking, grappling, stamina, strength. He's gonna get subbed in rd1.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I cant see him not making the fight or pulling out, there's a decent pay day there for him so hes bound to give it a shot. But it will be his one and only fight in the UFC. He will have all of about 60 seconds in the cage, Gall will take him down and make him tap. He will be humble and say the better man won and that he has had his go at MMA and done what he wanted to do and that will be the end of him. The only other possibility is the fight never happens, to think its going to go any other way is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will he crawl back to Vince and hunter with his tail between his legs ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PTH2009 wrote: »

Apparently he's been smart with his money so he doesn't need to really but I can see him coming back somewhere down the line on a deal similar to Brock's. Few dates a year for big money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

PTH2009 wrote: »

Everyone who was a draw for Vince and had a falling out went back eventually. If he was offered a Wrestlemania main event it's hard to see him refusing but promoter promises aren't worth diddly, just ask Batista! The fact that he's got a massive chip on his shoulder and a massive bank balance would suggest WWE would need to seduce him with the sun, moon and stars which I doubt they would do but... they're short on main eventers and are a bit rubbish with making new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Good call not trying to spell the Polish wan's name. :D

Most people refer to her as Joanna Champion because her surname is such a cluster****. She's a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

J. Marston wrote: »
    Apparently he's been smart with his money so he doesn't need to really but I can see him coming back somewhere down the line on a deal similar to Brock's. Few dates a year for big money.

I don't see it happening. He always got on fine with Vince for the most part, it's Triple H he has the issues with. With every day that passes, Triple H gains more and more power. Unless NXT suddenly bombs, I think Vince will be confident enough to hand over the reigns fully in the next couple of years and take a more backseat approach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I don't see it happening. He always got on fine with Vince for the most part, it's Triple H he has the issues with. With every day that passes, Triple H gains more and more power. Unless NXT suddenly bombs, I think Vince will be confident enough to hand over reigns fully in the next couple of years and take a more backseat approach.
    sorry couldnt resist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,084 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If he goes to UFC, has one fight, and loses within a round, it definitely does not help his bargaining power to go back to WWE and be considered a top guy. UFC is more and more a part of popular culture by the week and WWE would definitely be worried if he was made look a laughing stock in front of that many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

CSF wrote: »
    If he goes to UFC, has one fight, and loses within a round, it definitely does not help his bargaining power to go back to WWE and be considered a top guy. UFC is more and more a part of popular culture by the week and WWE would definitely be worried if he was made look a laughing stock in front of that many people.

It would down right kill his bargaining power because his whole gimmick [besides the whole straight edge stuff] is that he's a Muay Thai Master and a BJJ Black Belt [which he clearly isn't in real life] ShootFighter.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    ...is that he's a Muay Thai Master and a BJJ Black Belt [which he clearly isn't in real life] ShootFighter.

Seriously?
    He was supposed to be a shootfighter, muay thai fighter, and had a BJJ black belt. lol. If thats the case, his image will be ruined.

At least Lesnar managed to string some legitimate wins, more or less in line with his wrestler slash brawler image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    It would down right kill his bargaining power because his whole gimmick [besides the whole straight edge stuff] is that he's a Muay Thai Master and a BJJ Black Belt [which he clearly isn't in real life] ShootFighter.

Was it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimmick wrote: »
    Was it? :confused:

No tbh. But he fancies himself as a hardman for some unknown reason :confused:
    Then again none of us can talk about it according to him because we're not fighters :rolleyes:
    Have to say I'd be let town by him if I were the UFC anytime he speaks out he just sounds like a stroppy teen rather than someone who could sell a fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

ERG89 wrote: »
    No tbh. But he fancies himself as a hardman for some unknown reason :confused:
    Then again none of us can talk about it according to him because we're not fighters :rolleyes:
    Have to say I'd be let town by him if I were the UFC anytime he speaks out he just sounds like a stroppy teen rather than someone who could sell a fight

The man has performed on PPVs which have sold over 1 million buys and many over 300k. He's a cult hero in Chicago. I doubt the UFC are a bit worried about a few tweets and interviews with D-list radio hosts.

Advertisement