Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

What gets me more is that since she got with Punk, AJ has given up on her dream of being a wrestler too. Just because she had issues with WWE (probably his issues really) doesn't mean she can't work elsewhere. She chooses not to so I wouldn have to assume that he's gotten into her head and now she wants to leave the business too.

Ultimately she's a grown woman and can make her own mind up. I just find it a little sad that the young girl that we saw crying meeting her idol in Lita also quits her dream job. For her husband. Who now hates wrestling. I know it's none of my business really but i can't help but feel a little sad for her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This thread alone has more posts than the NXT mega thread.

Punk's point is completely valid.

All hail King Punk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I just find it a little sad that the young girl that we saw crying meeting her idol in Lita also quits her dream job. For her husband. Who now hates wrestling. I know it's none of my business really but i can't help but feel a little sad for her

I'm sure she's vindicated in her decision by her husband being fired on their wedding day :mad::(
    I get what you mean but even of 1/4 of what Punk said is true, the reality of her dream job isn't close and she already went as high as a woman will probably go with Vince around (long reigning Divas champ/main event RAW storyline/GM)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'd say the realities of her dream job probably made her decision to quit alot easier than she would have imagined starting out. Just reading JTG's book gives plenty of examples of how the dream job can turn into a nightmare for any number of silly reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm sure she's vindicated in her decision by her husband being fired on their wedding day :mad::(
    I get what you mean but even of 1/4 of what Punk said is true, the reality of her dream job isn't close and she already went as high as a woman will probably go with Vince around (long reigning Divas champ/main event RAW storyline/GM)

i dont blame AJ for leaving as she really did do everything she wanted to champion and wrestlemania.

I also dont believe most of what punk said, especially about the wwe doctor. hes a very bitter guy who seems to be a hard guy to deal with from everything i have read on him but firing him on his wedding day was just a horrible thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

In fairness wrestling fans (us included) are some of the most annoying people on Earth. Social media has really pronounced this. I guarantee every minute he's getting tweets about how he's an arsehole or a traitor. There's not a person in the world that wouldn't be annoyed by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think part of the issue with Punk is, he doesn't take too kindly to people coming up to him when he's eating for example, or its 4am at the airport.

The problem is, you'll always hear the bad news story,and rarely the good side of things. I've heard some good stories about Punk too where Fans are respectful etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think part of the issue with Punk is, he doesn't take too kindly to people coming up to him when he's eating for example, or its 4am at the airport.

The problem is, you'll always hear the bad news story,and rarely the good side of things. I've heard some good stories about Punk too where Fans are respectful etc.
    He's the first to praise respectful fans and moan about the idiots. He's right to do that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

He shouldn't acknowledge the trolls. It just breeds more trolls as it gives them a positive response (i.e. him obviously being hurt by it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

sky88 wrote: »
    I also dont believe most of what punk said, especially about the wwe doctor.
    Oh I really doubt what he was saying was a complete fabrication there. Punk with this kind of thing would definitely be from the same school of thought as Bret Hart (i.e. he'd try his utmost to be as open and honest about his thoughts so that his attacks carry more weight).
    If Punk seriously exaggerated any of the stuff about the WWE doctor, I'd say it would've been coming directly from the mouth of the doctor he saw after leaving.

He's got anger issues and he's thin skinned, but I'd say his moral code is probably a hell of a lot stronger than the WWE's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...

JTG has a book???

Took years to get released.......

Just like JTG himself wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

What gets me more is that since she got with Punk, AJ has given up on her dream of being a wrestler too. Just because she had issues with WWE (probably his issues really) doesn't mean she can't work elsewhere. She chooses not to so I wouldn have to assume that he's gotten into her head and now she wants to leave the business too.

Ultimately she's a grown woman and can make her own mind up. I just find it a little sad that the young girl that we saw crying meeting her idol in Lita also quits her dream job. For her husband. Who now hates wrestling. I know it's none of my business really but i can't help but feel a little sad for her

AJ retired while under contract. I believe that freezes her contract. If it didn't, people could retire to get out of their contract and then un-retire a few days later as a free agent. If she wants to wrestle again, she has to see out that contract first, then the no compete clause before she can join another company in a worthwhile manner.

She was treated pretty badly since Punk left (Check her win-loss records just before and just after. It's an instant turnaround) so I don't blame her at all for retiring rather than hanging around such a hostile environment for probably a year or so before her contract expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

American worker's contracts are completely messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    AJ retired while under contract. I believe that freezes her contract. If it didn't, people could retire to get out of their contract and then un-retire a few days later as a free agent. If she wants to wrestle again, she has to see out that contract first, then the no compete clause before she can join another company in a worthwhile manner.

She was treated pretty badly since Punk left (Check her win-loss records just before and just after. It's an instant turnaround) so I don't blame her at all for retiring rather than hanging around such a hostile environment for probably a year or so before her contract expired.

I've posted this elsewhere to the point that it must seem like a stock trite comment but.. Brock Lesnar got out of his contract after a legal case and Punk is involved in a serious legal issue right niw with WWE by proxy (via the Z-Pak doctor).

AJ went as far as she could in WWE at the time during her career. Having the so-called "love for the business" doesn't mean that you have beat the dead horse over decades for dwindling pay.

I do agree with your general sentiment thought that she loved wrestling and now isn't wrestling at the level you'd think she might be but it's a complicated situation and the WWE is a screwed up place like most of the wrestling business has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I doubt he'd be able to, like, he became a pro wrestler so it's not as if he doesn't on some level crave attention and adulation.
    Plus, realistically all of his baggage goes back to his family. Someone who endlessly stresses how little they care about other people's opinions clearly cares a great deal and there's been nowhere he's stressed that point more than when he talks about his family. Those are some deep personality flaws coming through that require a lot more than getting out of the spotlight.

He's probably way too stubborn of a person to ever actually return to wrestling so he'll likely keep himself in physically okay shape, but, christ, he's going to be one bitter bitter bitter 50 year old.

I can't wait until he's really in bitter has been mode and starts making crappy shoot videos from RF Video or for Youshoot or the sort bitching about everything under the sun. He's already half way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

This thread really has turned around negatively towards Punk.

He may be bitter but that doesn't mean he's wrong in the views that he holds.

I find it a bit much as well that people are trying to blame him for AJ no longer wrestling. If AJ wanted to be there she would be. Simple as that. Perhaps she just got a pain in her backside trying to entertain only for idiots to chant cm punk at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Jon Stark wrote: »

I find it a bit much as well that people are trying to blame him for AJ no longer wrestling. If AJ wanted to be there she would be. Simple as that. Perhaps she just got a pain in her backside trying to entertain only for idiots to chant cm punk at her.

One of the things that made me to turn negative towards him was his dvd was he came across bitter and so moany about things that happened and in fairness to him some of stuff he was correct on like the miz main eventing wrestlemania ahead of him. But theres stuff like the part timers coming in that he was so againist but he didnt mind feuding with brock, rock and taker im sure.

He's bitter and he really has no right to be. He's a Multi time champion. Longest reigning WWE champion [not even Cena the Godsend has that accolade] He's made millions and always had a prominent role in the WWE. Except for not main eventing Wrestlemania he doesn't have much grounds to cry mistreatment on.

AJ left because its pretty obvious that she was exactly like Punk and had no friends in the back. Punk left and there went her security blanket. Its ironic and hypocritical when she accused the Bellas of sleeping her way to the top when she did the exact same thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Its ironic and hypocritical when she accused the Bellas of sleeping her way to the top when she did the exact same thing.

Would being in a relationship with Punk actually be the same thing. Him being a moany boll*cks wouldn't exactly lend him to being the most popular backstage and as a result the most successful politicker while Cena on the other hand...

Either way I don't blame AJ, she lived her dream, reached the peak of her profession, did essentially all a Diva in the WWE can and more than most when you consider she crossed over into the non Divas storylines and was a GM etc. She then got out while healthy and could now potentially settle down and have a family with her husband and when you consider that said husband was fired officially on their wedding day and how difficult a work environment it must have been after he was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's bitter and he really has no right to be. He's a Multi time champion. Longest reigning WWE champion [not even Cena the Godsend has that accolade] He's made millions and always had a prominent role in the WWE. Except for not main eventing Wrestlemania he doesn't have much grounds to cry mistreatment on.

AJ left because its pretty obvious that she was exactly like Punk and had no friends in the back. Punk left and there went her security blanket. Its ironic and hypocritical when she accused the Bellas of sleeping her way to the top when she did the exact same thing.

Yet AJ achieved most of her milestones even before she got with Punk. Was she with when she was gm? First time divas champ? Being in a storyline with Cena? I don't think she was.

Also, there's nothing to suggest that Aj's promos about Bellas are nothing more than just that. Promos.

As for Punk, if what he says about his medical issues are true then he has every right to be angry. The lawsuit will tell us a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It turned negative the second he left WWE, which baffles me. We constantly talk on here about how the product is out of touch, over-reliant on old talents and the booking is ****....and the second someone walks from the company, a large group of fans seemed to turn on him and start giving out about him constantly. This thread seems to crop back up every few weeks so people can take a few more shots at him, calling him "bitter" or whatever. (And I really debate the use of that word; he may be brash and foolish trying to take on Twitter trolls, but I really don't get the "bitterness" at all....)

Trying to blame Punk for AJ leaving also seems really desperate; AJ stayed on for months after Punk, and in spite of losses, still featured heavily on the show (wins/losses mean **** all; Rollins was something like 17 televised losses in a row up to this week, but no one is crying "burial". Thats just how champs are booked). AJ pretty much had done everything, literally everything, that a woman can do in the wrestling industry, and then some as well. And given the lack of care WWE put into stories, coupled with the fans basically trying to use her as a proxy to vent at WWE, her career was basically complete unless she wanted feud reruns and a lifetime of chants for her husband while her work gets ignored.

The treatment of Punk, such as it was, probably helped in her decision, and the fact Punk was moving on in his life too. Realistically, its a harsh life, and if you've done everything and have become jaded, there's no point being in a car crash night in, night out. But its a weird insult to AJ to think she wasn't able to reach that decision on her own.

I thought Punk was right to go on the record and his earlier UFC interview this year was fantastic, I couldn't care less about the AJ stuff, she's an adult, but I was shocked at how negative that recent Punk interview is.

I still like/support the guy, but he sounded super-depressed, which is understandable given an injury, which also leads to you having a shorter fuse, I just don't understand why he doesn't just nuke his twitter account as it clearly bothers him a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Palo Alto wrote: »
    I thought Punk was right to go on the record and his earlier UFC interview this year was fantastic, I couldn't care less about the AJ stuff, she's an adult, but I was shocked at how negative that recent Punk interview is.

I still like/support the guy, but he sounded super-depressed, which is understandable given an injury, which also leads to you having a shorter fuse, I just don't understand why he doesn't just nuke his twitter account as it clearly bothers him a lot.

It clearly would be the best thing for him. I don't like when people excuse toxic comments by telling somebody to get thicker skin. You wouldn't say these things to his face but he can just get off social media if he is unable to deal with trolls. He does bring a lot of negative attention upon himself too. Having said all that, there is something perversely entertaining about people having meltdowns on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

sky88 wrote: »
    One of the things that made me to turn negative towards him was his dvd was he came across bitter and so moany about things that happened and in fairness to him some of stuff he was correct on like the miz main eventing wrestlemania ahead of him. But theres stuff like the part timers coming in that he was so againist but he didnt mind feuding with brock, rock and taker im sure.

I think stuff like that is what made people realise he's nothing more than a bullsh!t artist.

You want to change pro wrestling? Cool.

You want to change pro wrestling by putting yourself in all the positions you are complaining about other people having? Not so cool.

It clearly would be the best thing for him. I don't like when people excuse toxic comments by telling somebody to get thicker skin. You wouldn't say these things to his face but he can just get off social media if he is unable to deal with trolls. He does bring a lot of negative attention upon himself too. Having said all that, there is something perversely entertaining about people having meltdowns on social media.

Him being thin skinned IS the problem. He blows up over he dumbest **** and the trolls know it. That's why they do it.

Maybe it's part of some greater marketing tool that we don't see. If he's an ass on Twitter and he annoys people then maybe more people would be willing to buy a UFC show to potentially see him get battered.

Or maybe he's just completely anti social with a god complex?

Oh yeah and to the the people who want to demonise WWE by getting pissed that they sacked him on his wedding day......HE WALKED OUT ON THEM! He walked out before a show in January and essentially quit. Was it unprofessional of WWE to do that? Absolutely and it definitely was done to spite him but come on! He left them high and dry 6 months previously. How come people don't call him out for being unprofessional? If you aren't happy there then fine. Leave at the end of your contract or 'retire from WWE' like AJ but you have no right to take a moral highground when you were the one that left of your own free will then complain they fired you. Be a adult and do things properly and professionally or don't and take your lumps.

Maybe it's part of some greater marketing tool that we don't see. If he's an ass on Twitter and he annoys people then maybe more people would be willing to buy a UFC show to potentially see him get battered.

And risk X-Pac heat? No way would Zuffa risk him pissing off fans to the point where they don't even want to pay to see him get his ass kicked.
    Or maybe he's just completely anti social with a god complex?

That's the most likely true. Which is ironic for him.

• Advertisement

More of a persecution complex really.

Advertisement