Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just don't let in the cat!
    Thargor wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Thargor wrote: »

Spot the water pissing through the keyhole!

relaxed wrote: »
    and the frame distorting at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Had a great game of dodging waves on the Salthill Prom at the 6:30pm high tide. The place was packed. Young and old laughing as they anticipated the biggest breakers. No risk of flooding, the wind wasn't that strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

A max gust here of just 74km/h which is nothing exceptional. As Maq mentioned earlier it was never going to be that bad in our region but i was expecting higher gusts than what we got. On to the next storm early next week.

yeah funny that. i was expecting worse infact got a gust of 55mph at newtown cove on a hand-held annometer at 10am yesterday morning as the front passed by. i could barley standup during it:eek: but didn't see anything like it since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Unexpectedly wild here again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unexpectedly wild here again tonight!

Was just saying that! Windier than at any stage last night and most of today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Had a great game of dodging waves on the Salthill Prom at the 6:30pm high tide. The place was packed. Young and old laughing as they anticipated the biggest breakers. No risk of flooding, the wind wasn't that strong.

Idiots united. I am a bit surprised you joined in. Have you not heard of freak waves? You need to show the sea more respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

km79 wrote: »
    Was just saying that! Windier than at any stage last night and most of today

Yeah what was the highest wind speed in Galway last night or today? I was expecting to be awake half the night but I didn't hear a thing. We need to be careful not to cry wolf too much on this forum. And yes it does seem very wild the past hour or so. If it's still like this for the very high tide in the morning, the city will get more flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2236 update from Met Eireann

Clear spells overnight, but further showers also, mainly of rain or hail, but some sleet is possible, especially over high ground. Winds will slowly ease, but they will remain very strong on western coasts and, later, on northern coasts, with severe gusts. Minimum temperatures 1 to 4 Celsius, with a risk of frost by morning.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Sunday will have some sunny spells, but scattered showers will occur also. Cloud will increase on western and southern coasts, with some patchy rain and drizzle developing. Maximum temperatures 5 to 9 Celsius, in a moderate to fresh southwesterly breeze.

Outlook

Headline : Very unsettled weather will continue for the rest of the week, with a risk of very strong winds at times and with above average rainfall. Temperatures, however, will be close to normal.

Monday night : Clear spells and scattered showers, most of the showers in Atlantic coastal counties. As winds continue to ease, temperatures will fall to around freezing or a little below in many areas, with sharp frost and a risk of icy patches.

Tuesday : A bright start, with sunny spells and a few scattered showers, but wet and extremely windy weather will extend from the southwest later Tuesday and Tuesday night. Rain will be heavy at times, accompanied by strong to gale force southeasterly winds and with a risk of some severe gusts and with a risk of flooding.

Wednesday : Winds will veer westerly in direction by Wednesday morning, but they will remain very strong for much of the day. Brightening up, with sunny spells and occasional showers, many of them heavy, with hail and a risk of thunder. Cold on Wednesday night, with a risk of frost.

Thursday : Mainly dry at first, with just a few scattered showers, but early indications are that more wet and windy weather will extend from the south later
    Thursday and Thursday night.

Friday and weekend : Very unsettled, with showers or longer spells of rain at times and with a risk of very strong winds, or possible even stormy conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Idiots united. I am a bit surprised you joined in. Have you not heard of freak waves? You need to show the sea more respect.

Ah will you get off the high horse, it was no more than sea spray. There was zero danger and loads of fun. The boulders at the prom break the waves and prevent the rip. I have been sailing for over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Not a bad ad for a door though, on my house the water would quickly equalise!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Not a bad ad for a door though, on my house the water would quickly equalise!

the door opens outwards, so the weight of water helps seal it against the jamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Can someone tell me what's the outlook for the 2nd half of next week?? Im flying to the uk !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

jo06555 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what's the outlook for the 2nd half of next week?? Im flying to the uk !!!

Very wet & windy again. If you're in an aeroplane u should be ok, hand gliding might be a bit problematic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Whilst this needs pointing out, and tragically we do lose shore fishermen every year to this phenomenon, we need to live a little too, we cannot be too cautious as we'd end up mumbling to ourselves wrapped in a blanket in a corner and never going out ~

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

For the record no high wind speeds were broken for me yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Fairly windy for south and eastern coastal areas early tomorrow morning (though not severe).
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

South to southeast winds will reach mean wind speeds of 50 to 70 km/h, with gusts of 80 to 100 km/h overnight and on Monday morning. The strongest winds will be along the coast. The strong onshore winds will occur at the same time as high tides and this may cause some coastal flooding. There will also be some very heavy falls of rain. Winds will ease off in the early afternoon
    Issued:
    Sunday 02 February 2014 10:00
    Valid:
    Monday 03 February 2014 00:01 to Monday 03 February 2014 15:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary

South to southeast winds will reach mean wind speeds of 45 to 65 km/h, with gusts of 80 to 100 km/h overnight and on Monday morning. The strongest winds will be along the coasts.
    Issued:
    Sunday 02 February 2014 10:00
    Valid:
    Monday 03 February 2014 00:01 to Monday 03 February 2014 12:00

14020306_2_0206.gif

Flooding could also be a problem in the days ahead for some areas with up to 80mm of rain possible in places over the next 72 hours where some rivers are already quite high, and more lows on the way after this too.

nmmuk-25-72-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

yr.no have the southeast getting wind at 22 m/s.almost up there with stephens night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Finally a few SSE gales forecast in the next week, always better for some wind action in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

the winds for Monday and Tuesday look far worse for east than any other so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

teddybones wrote: »
    the winds for Monday and Tuesday look far worse for east than any other so far.

Late Tuesday into early Wednesday could be quite nasty if some charts are to be believed.

aboyro wrote: »
    yr.no have the southeast getting wind at 22 m/s.almost up there with stephens night

Should be quite windy where you are considering the direction of the wind, probably the strongest since Stephens night but not as severe.

HIRLAM showing strong gales but not storm force winds.

tuul24.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Should be quite windy where you are considering the direction of the wind, probably the strongest since Stephens night but not as severe.

HIRLAM showing strong gales but not storm force winds.

tuul24.png

Yep, looks windy enough for the east coast.

By the way i owe ye a drink, you were correct about yesterday, not as severe as Stephen's Day.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Looks like a long commute in Dublin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

nice to see ourselves getting a bit of the action here in the southeast, I know at the moment its not looking too severe although as I think was mentioned here a little earlier the rain seems to be the main worry this coming week. the barrow is extremely high at the moment, as im sure is every other river and I don't think it will take much to send it over the top. it will be an interesting week that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

I'm flying with AL to Amsterdam at 9.30 am on Monday.
    Considering AL cancelled a number of flights because of the conditions on Friday
    Do you think they will cancel some flights tomorrow considering the winds should be more powerful than Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

WEB_sat_ir_eur.jpgand the train continues to thunder on!

• Advertisement

Looking fairly wet and windy for Tuesday/Wednesday too. Not often you see a sub-950mb low with this kind of track.

57-21UK.GIF?02-12

UKMO :

U60-21UK.GIF?02-16

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement