Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Carnacalla wrote: »
    If Ryanair leaves the Manchester route, my guess is that Stobart will be back in Shannon, paying a fraction of the fees they used to pay.

I don't know about that..I'd say they were well pissed off when they left!!

What is to stop them being 'dumped' on again going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

New routes which have not operated during the previous full winter schedules are always loaded later. IT reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Masala wrote: »
    I don't know about that..I'd say they were well pissed off when they left!!

What is to stop them being 'dumped' on again going forward?

Sentiments dont last long in business. If there is money to be made then they will return or someone else will. Its a pity they had to leave in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon's Westpark gets bank loan deal reduction (Independent)

The firm behind the €65m Westpark business park in Shannon has sealed a bank deal that significantly reduces the €38.5m it owed in bank loans.

This is confirmed in new accounts just lodged by Westpark Shannon which show that profits at the firm in 2013 increased by over €200,000.

Westpark Shannon is led by a former chairman of Shannon Airport, Brian O'Connell, and the business park's clients include aviation giant GECAS, Symantec and DHL.

Westpark Shannon had owed €38.59m in loans to Danske Bank, the Danish bank not participating in Nama. The firm had previously revealed that Danske Bank was in negotiations with the company and its fellow group company regarding settlement of loans at a discounted rate following the bank's decision to withdraw from the commercial sector here.

Now, the new accounts for 2013 state that in a post balance sheet event "the directors have successfully concluded negotiations with an alternative finance provider to refinance the entire existing Danske bank loan arrangement with medium term finance at a significantly reduced loan amount". The note adds: "The directors are satisfied that this new finance reflects the market's confidence in the future of the campus."

Westpark Shannon's accumulated profits increased from €1.417m to €1.62m in 2013. The accounts also confirm that a legal action between Shannon Development and Westpark has been resolved.

A joint venture was agreed between Westpark and Shannon Development in 2005 for the development of the park in the Shannon Free Zone and the joint venture entitled Shannon Development to a fixed return on specific income accruing from the development from Westpark.

Westpark had stated that the action would be fully contested.

However, in the new accounts, Westpark state that it has reached an agreement to resolve the legal action in relation to the joint venture agreement subject to contract.

It will be interesting to see how the Shannon Group and the Westpark Campus cooperate / compete with each other in the future.

See previous post 127

Shannon would ‘happily negotiate’ deal with IAG on connectivity (Limerick Leader)

Shannon Airport would be happy to negotiate a mutually beneficial long-term deal on connectivity and charges in the event of an IAG takeover of Aer Lingus, according to Rose Hynes, chairman of the Shannon Group.

The statement comes amid speculation that IAG’s reluctance to extend its guarantee of Shannon’s three daily Heathrow services beyond five years is concern that it could be held to ransom on airport charges.

According to industry analysts, one of the reasons Mr Walsh is so reluctant to extend the guarantee beyond five years is anxiety over tying the company down to such a long tenure in Shannon without having a deal on landing charges into the future.

Speaking this Wednesday, Ms Hynes said: “our focus in relation to Shannon-Heathrow connectivity is on ensuring safeguards are in place that will not alone protect connectivity but enable us grow services and passenger numbers with the airline at Shannon”.

“We have already made it clear in contacts with the Interdepartmental Working Group that we would happily negotiate a 10-year deal now with IAG on connectivity and airport related charges. Such an arrangement would provide certainty for both parties and would be beneficial for the airline, Shannon and the regional and national economy,” Ms Hynes stated.

• Advertisement

Condor flight DE4156 from Frankfurt to Cancun diverted to Shannon.

Earlier today the Philadelphia to Dublin (US Airways) landed in Shannon due to fog in Dublin.

**** Update ****

Holiday jet in Shannon emergency landing (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic jet has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this afternoon after an alarm in the cockpit indicated possible smoke on board.

Condor flight DE-4156 was enroute from Frankfurt, Germany to Cancun in Mexico with 238 passengers and crew.

The flight was almost three hours into it’s journey and over the Atlantic when the crew declared an emergency and decided to turn around.

Emergency services at Shannon Airport were placed on standby and were backed up the ambulances and fire crews from Ennis, Shannon and Limerick City.

The Boeing 767-300 jet landed safely at 4.21pm and was quickly surrounded by emergency vehicles.

Fire personnel carried out visual inspections outside and inside the jet before it was cleared to taxi to the terminal. It’s understood no evidence of a fire or smoke was found.

A replacement aircraft is expected to arrive with a new crew later tonight.

Pat Flynn is the fastest reporter around! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Condor flight DE4156 from Frankfurt to Cancun diverted to Shannon.

Smoke in the Cabin. The crew requested fire crews due to an overweight landing.

Shannon Airport will upgrade rather than pay dividend (Independent)

. . . . Chief executive Neil Pakey has led a revamp of the duty free and plans to spend another €1.3m upgrading passenger facilities this year. The airport badly needs investment, according to Pakey, meaning it will not pay a dividend to the State for several years. . . .

. . . . It is close to resuming a deal with Stobart Air to fly to Birmingham, and Pakey also wants to secure flight routes to Scotland. . . .

I wonder what passenger facilities require upgrading? Shops, Restaurants, Bars?

Stobart Air to resume services? I will believe when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

No doubt operated as a W pattern from Dub or Ork. Nothing to be based there.

It surprises me that people still think they were chased off the routes by ryanair, yet the aircraft were redeployed straight away once moved to Dub!!

The 72 started the Kerry PSO and the 42 started the Donegal PSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Shannon Airport will upgrade rather than pay dividend (Independent)

. . . . Chief executive Neil Pakey has led a revamp of the duty free and plans to spend another €1.3m upgrading passenger facilities this year. The airport badly needs investment, according to Pakey, meaning it will not pay a dividend to the State for several years. . . .

. . . . It is close to resuming a deal with Stobart Air to fly to Birmingham, and Pakey also wants to secure flight routes to Scotland. . . .

I wonder what passenger facilities require upgrading? Shops, Restaurants, Bars?

Stobart Air to resume services? I will believe when I see it!

The checkin area is good, the new security area is good as is the duty free, but the lounge is terrible, the waiting areas at gates are not great, the arrivals experience is probably the worst aspect. So all in all alot of money could be spent on those things

• Advertisement

Didn't know SNN made a profit that could put them in a posotion to pay dividends??? Thought they loss making last year??

Didn't know SNN made a profit that could put them in a posotion to pay dividends??? Thought they loss making last year??

Annual report for 2014 not out yet, but in 2013 they profited €150k after tax http://www.shannonairport.ie/Libraries/Annual_Library/Shannon_Airport_Annual_Report_2013.sflb.ashx

Growler!!! wrote: »
    The 72 started the Kerry PSO and the 42 started the Donegal PSO.

I've wondered about the 72 on the Kerry route, the numbers must be very good! You'd wonder if they even need a PSO on that route anymore.

Interesting news on the possible deal with a Stobart. I had hoped they'd come back. Its likely that we won't have a based aircraft though so no T/A flight connecting.

I've wondered about the 72 on the Kerry route, the numbers must be very good! You'd wonder if they even need a PSO on that route anymore.

Interesting news on the possible deal with a Stobart. I had hoped they'd come back. Its likely that we won't have a based aircraft tho so no T/A flight connecting.

I say that 72 on kerry is more suiting some Stobart operations rather than big numbers. I think they down 1x42 at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

If stobart come back does it have to be the EI regional franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

I say that 72 on kerry is more suiting some Stobart operations rather than big numbers. I think they down 1x42 at moment.

The other 42 is in Cardiff on the Cityjet wet lease. Only 2 left in their fleet.

Jhcx wrote: »
    If stobart come back does it have to be the EI regional franchise?

Technically no, but there would be no chance of that happening.

Technically no, but there would be no chance of that happening.

Fair enough thanks. I personally don't like Aer Lingus at Shannon anymore after the 10 day stunt they are pulling.

Jhcx wrote: »
    Fair enough thanks. I personally don't like Aer Lingus at Shannon anymore after the 10 day stunt they are pulling.

Its a bit more of an operational issue, not entirely a stunt.

I still think they could have organised it far better. They should split the aircraft between Shannon and Dublin or stop the aircraft at Shannon on the way over.

If stobart come back it will be like NOC-BHX with them last maybe a year or season and be scrapped.

Interesting to see if FR pick NOC for BHX over SNN, clever game players at FR. Bit laughable if they want a SEN connection when FUB as failed!

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If stobart come back it will be like NOC-BHX with them last maybe a year or season and be scrapped.

Interesting to see if FR pick NOC for BHX over SNN, clever game players at FR. Bit laughable if they want a SEN connection when FUB as failed!
    I've stopped believing in your melancholy predictions for the airport.

Why wouldn't BHX stay? Its a very high yield route.

Perhaps SNN isn't giving FR a knockdown price for BHX!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

'Carnacalla' you are so right. 'Jamie2k9' you should do some research before firing out the typical opinions of narrowed mined Dubliners who think nothing exists out city of the capital.
    BHX was a very successful route operated by Stobart and in the past Ryanair, so much so that it went twice daily last summer. I'd expect what ever airline picks it up will do very well on the route.

Stop knocking everything that everyone says, and give some constructive feedback backed up by facts and figures.

Rant Over...

Perhaps SNN isn't giving FR a knockdown price for BHX!

Hopefully not. Be good to see Stobart back, even if they won't base an aircraft in Shannon.

Its a bit more of an operational issue, not entirely a stunt.

I still think they could have organised it far better. They should split the aircraft between Shannon and Dublin or stop the aircraft at Shannon on the way over.

I know the reason for it. But it goes to show that those in management in DUB have very little interest in anything outside the homebase even if it has a knock on effect. Like I'm not too worried about Shannon relying on Aer Lingus for anything other than Heathrow. and even then I'm lucky enough to have Fr to get me to gatwick .

Regards to Birmingham though is there any other carriers that Shannon can approach to take over the route bar Fr.

Airbus330 wrote: »
    'Carnacalla' you are so right. 'Jamie2k9' you should do some research before firing out the typical opinions of narrowed mined Dubliners who think nothing exists out city of the capital.
    BHX was a very successful route operated by Stobart and in the past Ryanair, so much so that it went twice daily last summer. I'd expect what ever airline picks it up will do very well on the route.

Stop knocking everything that everyone says, and give some constructive feedback backed up by facts and figures.

Rant Over...

If we are talking a middle of the day flight it won't last for long.

I predicted EIR pull out to and that happened!

If we are talking a middle of the day flight it won't last for long.

I will disagree. From what I know, the vast majority of people flying to Birmingham would be happy with a middle of the day flight, so would people going to Edinburgh and Bristol. Remember EDI and BRS were also middle of the day flights too!

UA25 cancelled today most likely due to a tech issue.

Edit : A 767-400 will be scheduled tomorrow to carry the extra passengers missing from today's flight.

UA25 cancelled today most likely due to a tech issue.

Edit : A 767-400 will be scheduled tomorrow to carry the extra passengers missing from today's flight.

Hopefully someone will catch the 767! How did you find this out btw?

• Advertisement

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone will catch the 767! How did you find this out btw?

Flightradar24 tells a lot.

Advertisement