Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

It can only improve if it gets support and traffic……what airlines will invest if they don’t see others being successful…….that’s how it works in reality. I use it all the time, I only go to Dublin if I must, it’s a delight to use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's the pricing that's the issue.

Checked a flight with Ryanair in October, €175 return from Dublin but from Shannon it's €328. That's the basic price, no seat choice or baggage included. Flights operating at basically the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No. How it works in reality is having an offering that people would be willing to go for

We all like Shannon but it just doesn’t cater to a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Things must be really bad in dublin when you have shamrock rovers squad travelling down to shannon to fly to malta...not that we complain of the bussiness

• Registered Users Posts: 24,865 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Weird because I always remember the breakfast being a carvery counter in Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Tiernster7

I've compared routes like Barcelona Girona recently and the comparison isn't too bad. I know there is something in what you are saying but a 50% mark up wouldn't be typical and alot of the differences relate to seat sales being strong on the flight already.

Another year I think Ryanair might have increased frequency on some of these routes.

More freq is needed in flights from Shannon. AGP, FAO could do with more. I think there’s defo scope for a 3rd aircraft from Ryanair.

Hopefully the routes team are working with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It operates every Monday/Friday now. Defo think its a underserved route. It was 6 weekly in 2019 including EI service. It operates twice weekly during the winter so defo another weekly flight during the summer to get it to 3 weekly or even 4 weekly would work. PMI & ALC operate 3 weekly currently and are doing well. Ryanair could defo do the same with SNN-AGP.

Ryanair have started to load Summer 2023 schedule so hopefully we will see increases for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

You will never suit all of the people all of the time……use it or lose it…….if we lose it there will be a lot more complaints and as a region we will only have ourselves to blame for not supporting it when we had the chance…….there’s also a price for convenience, lower parking costs, no driving up to Dublin and the pure lack of stress in being able to get through security in comfort and having space to relax pre flight. Dublin is a nightmare, it’s over crowded, disorganised and the food is crap and Cork is equally poor. Shannon has a great product and whil I accept flight times etc can be better, I believe that will come with increased support from the locality……I’m also willing to pay a premium to fly from Shannon for the convenience and the comfort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,865 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm looking at flights to Paris, Madrid and Milan over the next year. Tell me how can I support Shannon ?

How could I support Shannon on my holiday to Brussels this year ?

We can't even fly to our closest EU capitals so outside of a small few spots it's useless for anyone who doesn't like to take their holidays in the Costas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not a case of use it or lose it as the flights from SNN are already well supported. Especially the sun destinations. As mentioned above, some could do with more rotations than they already have. The problem is that there aren't enough destinations. It's not much use SNN being on my doorstep if I want to go to Northern France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Scandanavia or even Italy. Bristol is badly missed too.

In relation to the use it or loose it. I think there is a point there the more exisiting flights are used then that shows airlines people are willing to use it. I know times of some flights are terrible but i we can get them used them frequency may increase and encourage another aircraft or 2 to be located in the airport. To help this the public transport options need to be improved big time coz lets face it if you dont have a car ita awkward to get to. Definately the demand there for increase frequency on some of the sun routes.

Im hoping the powers that be are not just depending on ryanair/airlingus. Cork have successfully encouraged other airlines i hope shannon can do the same.

I hope paris route is well supported and that we can get increase frequency there. Potential for either amsterdam/Brussels route. One that that may hamper that for know is KLM appear to be having staffing issues and reducing flights for now.

Anyone know what the story is with Emerald or whoever istaking over stabort business . They have made announcements for dublin & belfast. Havent seen anything else from them. Surely business there for them for some of the UK destinations.

Re Emerald , the chairman seems to have plenty of interactions with CEO of Emerald Conor McCarthy on linkedin. May mean nothing , but a relationship is always good. I know they got some new planes recently that were allocated pretty quickly.

Re Ryanair I see for Winter there are 60 weekly departures from Shannon, 39 from Knock and 95 from Cork.

Entire difference between Shannon and Cork is UK routes (68 vs 33) , starkest difference is Manchester and Edinburgh.

Knock actually has 36 Uk departures so there is clearly something strategic going on with the UK routes.

Does anyone no if they will replace all air bridges? Good to see the new one up at Gate 6. The others look very rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

EI387/8 is off sale for September and October, presumably due to new operational constraints at LHR. Last departure back from LHR at 1445 would only want to be a temporary thing

My London flight from Shannon, 5th August, moved from 21:25 to 17:15

Delighted with that. I wonder did the merge two flights into one that day

LHR limit in place till Sept 11th so not quite consistent.

Hopefully it is short term although if AL replaced those 7 departures with 3 and 4 to Rome and El Prat I'd be quite happy.

Dooley isnt happy about the LHR flight on twitter.

DUB / ORK flights got cut two. They have singled SNN out in the media.

Any idea what the cuts were specific to each.

Some interesting bits in here in the context of growing traffic in Shannon.

How are Kerry managing the scale up but Shannon can't

• Advertisement

Shannon is much busier than Kerry and all areas are trying to hire additional staff.

The evening flight from SNN/ORK - LHR got cut. Departing 21,25 and 8.30 respectively

The late Shannon to Heathrow flight was definitelty cut (mine in a couple of weeks was cancelled and I was moved to the 'middle' flight of the day (around 17:15)

Actually worked out well for me as it was the cheapest flight that day initially and now I get a few hours of the Friday night there

Hardly a chance anybody has a promo code for Shannon airport parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What’s the deal with the Neos flights to/from Tel Aviv. Seem to be a charter but anyone know what for?

Aer Lingus aren’t going to review the closure of the SNN Cabin Crew base. I don’t no how it’s easier for them to bus and overnight crew in Limerick rather than keeping the base open. Seems like a huge additional cost for them and inconvenient for the crew having an extra night away.

Hopefully it can be looked at some stage in the future. They were a fabulous group of ladies based in Shannon. They made my flights to JFK very enjoyable pre COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

It might look like its costing them money as you say but they have the luxury of pulling out of Shannon and doing what they like when they like at little notice and cost without having to worry about a crew based there.

Agree with Johnjoes verdict.

Shannon applying for a brexit recovery fund associated grant to provide a link to another European hub was also mentioned in same questioning. Lynne Embleton cited their own capacity as the main reason for not being able to review an opportunity like that.

There are other airline apart from airlingus that they should go after. Cork has been successful with this in the last 10 yrs. I personally cant see airlingus reopening the shannon base in the short term.

Think they should focus on trying to extend some existing routes esp new qparis possible try get 1 or 2 more sun routes. Then make efforts to try get Toronto back that was meant to start summer 2020 and possibly 1 or 2 new US routes.

Airport has gotten loads of positive attention in the media this yr thanks to Dublin hopefully they can build on that

There are but capacity is an issue everywhere , anyone following new routes in Europe know it is a trickle these days.

I wonder how Lufthansa's relationship with Shannon Group is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

The same Dooley who voted to scrap this route one time.

Advertisement