Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Tiernster7

Anyone else see this...

Not sure what to say. it seems like a hopeless lack of knowledge and a very odd mistake

Strange since theres no SNN Paris anywhere on the EI or FR website. We would have definitely seen otherwise. How did he get that?

Wonder could Ryanair add a 3rd a/c? im sure there are routes they could operate and increase frequency on existing routes

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Possibly but not by 23 days time unless there's something I'm missing. Maybe Ryanair are thinking of putting flights for thst weekend and he's jumped the gun, champions cup final in Marseille too so I'm sure there are people who'd look at it like that

Oh yeah no i didnt mean them to base a 3rd aircraft now i meant somestage in the future.

Maybe Conal did mean MRS

That checks out actually! (re MRS)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

For Shannon to be more successful it needs more services. But there needs to be a reason to use it instead of Dublin, that you are going to Galway, or Limerick or the wild Atlantic way

Maybe it could market itself as a stop-off for low-cost flights linking to the US the way Iceland is.

I always thought if the airport/airline is selling the tourist things, they should have incentives, selling points, for people to fly to Shannon, make it cheaper and easier for golfers to bring their clubs, cyclists to bring their bikes, and fishermen (and women) to bring their equipment, I know they can rent them here but for many enthusiasts really need and want to use their own equipment. I have happened upon guys who drive and get ferries from the UK or from the continent and the only reason they do that is that they are bringing equipment.

As the gateway to the west, I think it needs more interconnected transport - the bus is the cheap option, the railway line should be developed (and I know this really demands rail investment), you should be able to get a train or ticket from Galway City Centre, or Limerick City and Limerick Jn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rail is not viable for Shannon. It needs to be faster than the bus, which would mean a new greenfield Limerick - Shannon - Ennis - Galway line to beat the bus for time. A spur off the current single track Limerick to Athenry line isn't going to cut it. That however is never going to be built because it would cost billions and wouldn't attract the ridership to make the investment viable. TBH I doubt a spur off the current line will ever be built either, as it too would be slower than the bus and wouldn't attract enough passengers.

I'm not sure it needs to be faster then the bus, there are lots of studies out there that show people will use good rail services as they trust the timings more.

That said it isn't happening in the next 20 years. The focus with rail in the midwest rightfully will be projects like stopping Ballycar flooding (16 mn) , creating a double track to Limerick Junction (reduce congestion in Limerick), new station in Moyross and Ballysimon(Key connections to 3rd level and stadiums) and overall line improvements that reduce time.

A regular bus from Limerick-Galway(343,51) , and Maybe bunratty (green bus line) as an extra would be brilliant accessibility for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Rail connection while ideal its a pipe dream. In the meantime need proper bus services from limerick and galway to the airport, key is an early service so people can make early morning flights. Ita not unusual for people to get the geeen bus from limerick or similar service in galway to dublin airport to catch early flights even to destinations served by shannon as there is no way to get to shannon.. a decent bus serve should be made a priority straight away.

I also think trying to get flights to European hubs is also key. Before covid a paris flight was announced. This is one should be a key target for the airport to get back.Between school tours, weekend city breaks, rugby tripstrips to Euro Disney and well as a hub for long haul destination. Was in galway a few days this week and was noticeable the amount of french tourist around. Possible lisbon too given the amount of south americans in the midwest . Management should be all over the census results like a rash for limerick, clare,galway and tipperary to get this sort of information

Also linking in with some of the big tour companies esp those from the states. Instead of flying in and out from dublin work with these companies to fly into dub and out of shannon or visa versa.

Still think a route east (flight to dubai) would have potential given the amount of irish in dubai, australia not to mention the amount of people from sub continent living in the midwest amd west now. This is one that cork couldnt compete with the airport for

Does anyone know when the new airbridge is going up at Gate 6?

Theres enough airbridges there at the moment so just curious as thought it was meant to go up in March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

Asked in the airport a few weeks ago - gate staff, they've heard October..... but were quick to say they don't know really - just rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It was supposed to be March, then May.

The fact that AA and Delta aren't here this summer means it's not overly essential at the moment.

I thought as much alright since AA/DL arent back. Just curious.

Hopefully they can return in 2023

ORK have polls up on Twitter to see what new routes people want.

SNN needs to so badly up its game. They done a good deal with FR so cant see why they cant expand further

The thing that worries me isn't the social media, as poor as that is.

What worries me is the Lufthansa announcement today which paired with vueling and KLM means ORK has great connectivity and coverage in North europe

Shannon - European hub connectivty was mentioned in the Dail to MM last week.

I really hope there working on it. KLM or Air France have the perfect a/c size that could do a SNN-CDG or AMS route

Yeah it was Crowe……

He says silly comments to say the least but this I agree with.

Cork airport are active on social media to be far.

Shannon airport needs to connect better with their catchment areas. Wouldnt take much. For example that survey cork carried out, shannon could do similar. Also link in with limerick, shannon, clare and galway chambers, to reach out to large employers and colleges in those counties. Simple things like get employees in such to fill out a quick questioner seeing what routes people would like, what would encourage them to use the airport more or offer special parking rates etc. Need to keep airport in the minds of people esp in jan/feb when people are thinking of holidays

Ryanair are confirmed to be taking a hangar at Shannon and creating 200 new jobs. Great news for the Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Any likely knock on effects of this for route development?

Seeing TUI flights this week from Shannon to Cancun and Shannon to Florida. Anyone know if these contain passengers ?

They're just fuel stops, they do have passengers but nobody joining in Shannon.

Its a pity flyshannon advertise Cancún so an arrangement like this would be cool.

https://www.clare.fm/news/fuel-issues-birmingham-force-planes-top-shannon-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭knockon

Any one know if EI transatlantic winter schedule going to continue? You can book only BOS and JFK after Oct 31st. At the moment you can book other cites using their Jet Blue partnership.

So frustrating listening to media commentary surrounding the mayhem in dùblin and why cork and shannon cant take some of the pressure off. One lad on newstalk saying well people dont surpoet shannon. We help if the airport had more routes. Its madding to think back around 2006/2008 there was around 3mill passengers. Since then, there has been significant population increase in its catchment area and better road networks

If they bring flights from Dublin to Shannon, what do you think would happen?

They dont need to bring loads but maybe a little better choice to major/hubs cities around Europe. Shannon definately has the capacity to handle more passengers with the airport struggle to cop with more passengers. Have the airport ever conducted a survey to see would be in demand? Be easy enough to do through contacts in limerick,clare,tipp,galway chamber for a start

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Shannon needs to attract these new destinations itself. The airlines want to be in DUB. It's the region where most of the population and most of the tech companies / industry is based. No politician is going to force any of them to relocate to SNN despite all the soundbites being thrown out there.

Advertisement