Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unachicagilmore

Shannon-Malaga still listed as option on the AerLingus website with the timetable for the flights not released yet..

Any chance that will happen this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

You get the impression it flies daily when inputting the dates. They need to change their website and fade out not applicable days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unachicagilmore

Or the impression that there will be a flight sometime soon. Misleading enough. It's a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Tiernster7

Any idea what weekly scheduled departures looked like in December 2019?

December 2022 could be an increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Has the direction for arrivals into Shannon changed recently?

I used to enjoy driving the Galway-Limerick Rd. and seeing planes coming in fairly low there for landing. Even at times I'd have seen a plane extremely low in Clarecastle. Haven't seen it in ages though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I suppose it depends on the weather which way they land, maybe they have a rotation too, in saying that they still land both directions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The direction of landing / taking off is wind dependant. Both directions are used, but the most common direction, due to prevailing winds, is Westward using 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Ministers welcome EU funding for transport projects in Ireland (Dept of Transport)

€3.4 million has been granted towards the creation of a dedicated unmanned aerial vehicle testing and vertiport facility at the Future Mobility Campus in Shannon.

Digital Skies cleared for take-off (Clare Herald)

A European consortium coordinated by Shannon-based Future Mobility Campus Ireland (FMCI) in Shannon has been approved by the EU to develop a ‘Digital Sky Demonstrator’, for aerial Unmanned Traffic Management (UTM) systems.

The research project, known as ‘EALU-AER’, will see FMCI and its consortium partners conduct engineering work at the FMCI facility to develop, deploy and optimise Europe’s unmanned flight ecosystem.

The three-year project involves Irish and European partners including Shannon Group, the Irish Aviation Authority, Collins Aerospace (Ireland and France), Dublin-based Avtrain, and Deepblue in Italy.

Work will be based at FMCI’s Advanced Aerial Mobility Research Test and Development Facilities at Shannon, but will include a network of Advanced Air Mobility (AAM) routes across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Is this a welcome development if a new contractor wins the tender? How have the food and beverage offerings been in recent years?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are the pre departure lounges any good in Shannon? I'd be looking for hot food and a drink or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's well overdue, zest have had the monopoly on food in the airport. And it's by and large, shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

It's OK but nothing special, if it's busy you can be waiting for ages for food although the bar service is usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

A couple of years ago i asked could i swap an item on a breakfast, an egg instead of hashbrown for example. She said no. That is the kind of crap they did 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It's absolutely standard in most airports to tender out food service.

Dublin did a 10 year deal in 2019. I think select service partners won it. SSP would be one of the biggest in the world.

Usually it's large international operations that win and they tend to bring quite a bland offering of bland international food names - burger joint, pizza joint, overpriced coffee joint.

The incumbents can have an advantage and may be seen as favourites to win another term.

In reality it's not news, it's just a standard practice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I meant the private lounges really. Boru or Burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Dont think you can get hot food in the lounges only cold fold food & drinks. hot food from only the shite cafe/restaurant

My own comment would be breakfast is a decent job.

Dinner can be hit and miss.

Saw this comment on twitter from a golf commentator, not sure of accuracy

https://twitter.com/distewart79/status/1543676464230547458?t=bsBHKmMHVaoFDgg-WiFwNQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

The private lounges don't do hot food. They have coffee / tea, some alcoholic drinks and some snacks like crisps and peanuts, usually some fresh fruit. If you want a hot meal or whatever you need to purchase it out in the main area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The "cafe" downstairs stays open til 3 during the school year to cater for the students at the catering college across the road. It's a joke.

• Advertisement

Aah this is pre security , I hadn't even realised there was a cafe there to be honest.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Lots of private jets hopping in and out. Saw JP McManus' jet coming in loads of times over the last few days, ferrying people out to Adare with two helicopters.

Think I just missed Tiger Woods coming down the steps, but saw the heli heading off to Adare.

Does any one think they’ll re open the cafes upstairs before security.? Have some good memories from the bar just above the EI check in. It’s been closed for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Sunday night Ryanair Edinburgh flight is really badly timed with all the delays around Europe this summer. I was looking at it as a possible route for a trip later this month but I see last night Ryanair had delays with the Edinburgh based fleet and just cancelled it late in the evening - I'm guessing maybe their crews had just run out of hours?

A late flight on Sunday night would normally be a positive thing to maximise a weekend trip but probably safer to give late night short hops like that one a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

That flight constanly delayed by 30mins/1hr. rarely goes out in time. ya you are better off.

Does anyone know if Ryanair are in talks with SNN for new routes for W22/23??

BFS has got 12 routes this morning. Hopefully SNN gets some and not just rumours/speculation

No idea.

I was told a long time ago that Bristol would come back and I mentioned the Paris /France links that seemed apparent when you trailed the right peoples linked in.

My guess is that there is always an announcement for the next seasons schedule and that these few weeks are historically when those announcements take place. Corks announcement was a week ago, I'd expect to hear something next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

TFS appears up to twice to week for winter in addition to previous increases mentioned here.

I also see FAO has a rotation on Fri Nov 4 - might be a midterm thing but it's at different timings to prev Fridays which could be an indication about that route staying

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Yes, really nice food at Zest and at the Bar……great security too, no taking liquid or computers out of bags……super airport, I hope people support it properly rather than driving to Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Unfortunately the lack of decent flights and not ideal days/times kills Shannon for so much people. Not a case of blindly supporting/not supporting Shannon when they aren’t flying where people want etc.

Advertisement