Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Anyone know if and when EI are doing Summer routes to Faro, Malaga, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Its a few years since they did either, Ryanair cover both with Malaga all year round.

Ryanair's summer 23 routes should be dropping soon.

For Aer Lingus there seems to be some hope that they'll expand existing services but I can't see them going with either of these 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Any word on American doing the Philadelphia route for 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ryanair press conference at the airport today. Looking on the app can see new routes listed dor S23...

Looks like a big increase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Looks like its getting newcastle 3 times a week. Thats going to be Newcastle well served in the munster region as ryanair launched cork newcastle for the winter. Must check timing later. Would have thought maybe cardiff or bristol would have potential as they are poorly served in munster

Bezier new too

Increases on Malaga , Faro, Manchester , Edinburgh, Reus, Birmingham , Krakow, Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria.

I think schedules are still being updated on the app but it looks significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stansted up to 17per week also with a third flight on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Manchester up to a daily service too. Though Friday Stansted sees two leave within 25 min of each other!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Still no Northern Europe or German route. Or a return to Bristol. Looks like I'll be continuing to fly from Dublin next year.

• Advertisement

So Edinburgh seems to have taken a bit of a hit At the moment only showing once a week on the ryanair website from april where its currently 3 times a week

The marseille flight seems to be twice weekly friday to Monday rather than thurs sun from the end of march.

As i said earlier disppointing either Bristol or cardiff not added. Be interesting to see what crumbs airlingus through shannons way. Dont really get the newcastle 3 times a week. Would think twice weekly would be enough on that route esp. Its only twice weekly from cork as it is.

Any idea what the numbers are like so far on the Paris service?

@lisasimpson

Re Edinburgh showing 4 times per week on app.

Not sure on Newcastle, I hope it works out. To be fair they haven't rowed back on a single route from this year.

Would share disappointment on Bristol and Germany, maybe something will be announced later. I know Knock have both those areas, maybe there is a little horsetrading.

For some reason on the website its only coming up once a week from march for me. Maybe website is slow updating. Hopefully its more than once a week.

Yes its great to see the new routes for summer 2022 continued into next year. Long may that continue Heard great reports about Malta from a few that went there this year. The increase frequency for the likes of Faro too are welcome. The more choice the better.

Now if the airport could get cracking on the public transport providers for better services for those that dont drive. Hopefully some of those complaining about the mayhem in dublin airport will avail of the increase frequencies for summer.

Also its great the schedule is announced now. Ideal for those that maybe thinking of booking a break as part of a christmas present. I know of 1 couple who use to do that before covid. They both love to travel and would buy city breaks/holidays instead of something that could end up thrown in a press by new years

I can only get to 79 routes per week, they've announced 180 (90 departures presumably)

Last year they added Girona and Marseille at different points.

Maybe some news is being held in reserve.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Delighted to see new routes and increased frequencies at our airport. Would share some disappointment with no German route, and would have liked to have seen Liverpool added as well. Prices for Faro at the moment are quite expensive too( was pricing for next summer) hopefully that will calm down over time🤞

While new routes are welcome, when they are to destinations I've never heard of (Beziers anyone?), I have to question the market research and pent up demand that initiates these new routes. Do more people in the greater Shannon/Limerick catchment area wish to go to Beziers (population 75,000) than Amsterdam, Rome or Berlin which have no direct routes?

Beziers is on the South coast of France. You don't fly there to visit Beziers.

I can only presume fees at German airports don't work for Ryanair unless they are guaranteed a very high load, like from Dublin or London.

Id be in the sameline of thinking re german airport feed. Its poorly served in cork airport too

• Advertisement

Took a small look at American Airlines and Shannon. To me it looks like the Boeing blocker is still in play and live. I'm not too confident of a 2023 return.

United airline meant to be announcing new transatlantic routes shortly. Any hope of an expansion in shannon?

I don't think there is one seasonal airport that they use where they fly to more then Newark,

Adding a seasonal to Chicago like they have in Dublin would be welcome, going year round to Newark would also be welcome but I don't see either occuring.

Maybe they will start a little earlier then May next year but that would be the height of my expectation.

It looks like it is earlier April 7th, if I was to pick a change in Ireland my fear would be an airport that upgraded their runway this time last year and are 2 hrs south of Shannon...

Cork didn't lengthen its runway though. It was just a resurfacing like Shannon did recently. Cork also doesn't have pre clearance. Can't see any US carriers using it.

Aah , there are some rumours on Ireland and united, maybe something will happen but I'd guess it would be Dublin.

Any extra route would be a really big boost in confidence for the airport obviously.

UA are restarting SNN-ORD from 25.05 daily on the 757.

Great news

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Daily is fantastic. Great news for the airport.

The strong dollar will make holidaying in Europe very attractive next summer which should really help with bookings on these routes.

Great to see a direct Chicago route back at Shannon. If AA can return Philadelphia, SNN will be back to pre pandemic US connectivity!🤞

Media coverage below.

https://www.clareecho.ie/united-airlines-to-resume-shannon-to-chicago-service/

• Advertisement

Surprised its a daily service would wonder about demand. Then again ohare is a hub. Would think 3/4 times a week but we will take it. As previous poster stated a strong dollar should encourage good inbound numbers.

Now if only air canada would consider shannon Toronto like they were planning in 2020

Advertisement