Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

747 on final approach now.. must be running out of parking space at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

hobie14 wrote: »
    Anyway, Shannon did a good job as usual, on the diversion .....

What did Shannon do that an other airport wouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

F-HPJJ just airborne now for Paris CDG.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What did Shannon do that an other airport wouldn't?

Can't really answer that ..... not familiar with other airports that handle similar diversions

Can't really answer that ..... not familiar with other airports that handle similar diversions

The vast majority of airports in the world handle technical, medical and other diversions. If you're looking for some on the Atlantic, there's Reykjavik, Gander, Halifax, St.Johns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Marketing once again failing to do any research on new routes. Air Canada to Toronto advertised for $447 one way across their Facebook and twitter platforms. $246 on aircanada.com!

Shn99 wrote: »
    Marketing once again failing to do any research on new routes. Air Canada to Toronto advertised for $447 one way across their Facebook and twitter platforms. $246 on aircanada.com!

It's a Facebook page, I'd assume it's pretty freelance. Look at the poor attempts of implementation of Snapchat and Instagram, and the absolute nightmare of an app which is more painful to use than the old Ryanair app!

Sometimes the Friends of Shannon airport page would give more accurate information than the actual airport itself.

Speaking of FOSA, it seems dead in all but that Facebook page.

Still, a lot of marketing is done online these days. They made a similar fare gaffe when it was first launched

Still, a lot of marketing is done online these days. They made a similar fare gaffe when it was first launched

It's quite a pity it's not utalised better. I recall them forcing you to like the Facebook page or go through a complicated login process to access WiFi in airport communal areas, is this still the case? If so, great way to drive traffic to the page. Some good ideas at least.

I won't call their efforts poor, however they're not stand out, which is where they would ideally be. I find in general privatised companies lead better social media accounts.

The vast majority of airports in the world handle technical, medical and other diversions. If you're looking for some on the Atlantic, there's Reykjavik, Gander, Halifax, St.Johns.

I certainly would expect all airports to provide as much assistance as they can to aircraft in trouble, within the limitations of size , infrastructure, location and operating restrictions ..... the Aviation world is a community of very special relationships ever ready to help and long may it be so ..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Fuel spilled on runway after transatlantic superjumbo diverts to Shannon (Examiner)

Air France flight AF-178 was en route from Paris to Mexico City and was about 200 kilometres south of Cork when the crew declared a medical emergency at around 11.40am.

There were 543 passengers and crew on board.

The fuel leak can be seen here during landing.

Does the airport have the fitting stairways to service an A380?

The A380 F-HPJI and its replacement A380 F-HPJJ parked yesterday evening.

Yes the airport does. When the BA A380 came in last October they parked her on remote

I certainly would expect all airports to provide as much assistance as they can to aircraft in trouble, within the limitations of size , infrastructure, location and operating restrictions ..... the Aviation world is a community of very special relationships ever ready to help and long may it be so ..... :)

I'm not taking away from the obvious achievements of the airport, but I constantly see people congratulations for simply operating as an airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I'm not taking away from the obvious achievements of the airport, but I constantly see people congratulations for simply operating as an airport!

Simply operating as a an aiport? When the biggest aircraft in world is leaking flammable liquid on to your runways, taxi an ramps? This sounds like it could have been a catastrophic event if not handled correctly. Fair play to all involved, in the air and on the ground. Emergency procedures are not normal procedures.

Fuel spilled on runway after transatlantic superjumbo diverts to Shannon (Examiner)

Air France flight AF-178 was en route from Paris to Mexico City and was about 200 kilometres south of Cork when the crew declared a medical emergency at around 11.40am.

There were 543 passengers and crew on board.

The fuel leak can be seen here during landing.

The A380 F-HPJI and its replacement A380 F-HPJJ parked yesterday evening.

The 380 was parked in a nice quiet spot and had steps in location towards the front and at the upper level ..... a bit to far away to see any other steps ..... guess there will be some guys and spares coming in from France soon ...... magnificent morning today in Shannon for an outside repair job :)

Thanks for the photo link ..... in my humble opinion 'Dramatic' .... :(

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Simply operating as a an aiport? When the biggest aircraft in world is leaking flammable liquid on to your runways, taxi an ramps? This sounds like it could have been a catastrophic event if not handled correctly. Fair play to all involved, in the air and on the ground. Emergency procedures are not normal procedures.

That's all within the remit of operating as an airport.

The A380 is not the world's biggest aircraft, it's the AN225.

With all the incidents that have happened across the world, a fuel leak on an aircraft is really not a spectacular incident other than it closed the airport for 2hours.

Emergency procedures are very normal in Shannon, and many airports across the world. It's what makes aviation safe today. Emergencies occur several times a day, just down FR24 and set yourself up for all the aircraft that Squawk 7700 (an emergency code), which is when they declare an emergency.

380 all fixed and on it's way to CDG ...... just crossing over Wales right now ..... :)

Yes the airport does. When the BA A380 came in last October they parked her on remote
    It seems from this image that all the 543 passengers and crew had disembarked over the lower deck.

Does the airport really have a stairway able to serve the upper deck of a A380, for example like this one?

It seems from this image that all the 543 passengers and crew had disembarked over the lower deck.

Does the airport really have a stairway able to serve the upper deck of a A380, for example like this one?

I was half a mile away (peacefully Sunday morning walk along the banks of the Shannon, trying to forget anything to do with 380's) and the steps certainly looked like they were servicing the upper deck but no binoculars so won't bet the house on it :)

Shannon International Leasing Conference 2017 (SILC)

Venue University of Limerick

An opportunity to influence and effect advancements in the aviation industry in Shannon and Ireland.
    • To promote Shannon as a technical services centre
    • To network with technical leaders in the aviation sector
    • To learn of new technologies and developments within the sector

• Advertisement

Some good news on the maintenance side of things. BA to send 787/777s in for wifi pod fitting starting January

That's all within the remit of operating as an airport.

The A380 is not the world's biggest aircraft, it's the AN225.

With all the incidents that have happened across the world, a fuel leak on an aircraft is really not a spectacular incident other than it closed the airport for 2hours.

Emergency procedures are very normal in Shannon, and many airports across the world. It's what makes aviation safe today. Emergencies occur several times a day, just down FR24 and set yourself up for all the aircraft that Squak 7700 (an emergency code), which is when they declare an emergency.

So a fuel leak is not spectacular, and you just squawk 7700. Your not a pilot, thats for sure.

So a fuel leak is not spectacular, and you just squawk 7700. Your not a pilot, thats for sure.

When did I say it's not spectacular?

Great comment for avoiding the point though, it's clear your knowledge on this subject is quite limited so I suggest we leave it at that.

The valve misfunctioned and wouldn't close, the aircraft was on its way today, there was no full emergency declared or any emergency at all, Infact it was a regular response for a slightly heavy medical diversion.

You said ' a fuel leak on an aircraft is not really a spectacular incident' and please dont insult us all by explaining what squawk 7700 means. End .

You said ' a fuel leak on an aircraft is not really a spectacular incident' and please dont insult us all by explaining what squawk 7700 means. End .

The squawk misspelling was an autocorrection. (Which was corrected before you posted above may I add).

However, it's clear you've no intent of a respectful discussion. There's no need for such hostility.

Guess where F-HPJI is this morning ? ....... the rescue aircraft ......

Shanghai ...... it's a small world ...... :)

Effective 5th November’s 2017 23:00 - From 23:00-07:00 every day CAT7 ops will be in place. CAT9 can be provided within these times if airport is notified 12H in advance.

Effective 5th November’s 2017 23:00 - From 23:00-07:00 every day CAT7 ops will be in place. CAT9 can be provided within these times if airport is notified 12H in advance.

This was announced months ago was it not? A shame no doubt, however should help reduce cost base for the airport. I wonder do Omni and Kuwait require CAT9 on their 777 operations? I understand Kuwait could accept temporary CAT5 ops after the A380 incident on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This was announced months ago was it not? A shame no doubt, however should help reduce cost base for the airport. I wonder do Omni and Kuwait require CAT9 on their 777 operations? I understand Kuwait could accept temporary CAT5 ops after the A380 incident on Saturday.

Kuwaiti won't be affected by those times and Omni will always give more than 12 hours notice so no issue really. The only thing affected will be diverts which is ridiculous as it is genuinely a life or death situation.

• Advertisement

Only 3 scheduled ryanair departures from Shannon tomorrow, the lowest scheduled amount on a Tuesday in years.

Advertisement