Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

In todays Travel Extra...

Its interesting bu yield would appear to be lagging behind DUB on basic fares. By the full comments it's clearly means they are making quiet a loss on the routes from Ireland and I really think the basic EI fare will hit them.
    Helps explain the move to 3pw for the coming summer. I wonder what the actual LF's are like?

DUB loads are averaging around 90% (+/-3%) even now so if's its doing as well as claimed SNN should be about that as well....

_______

While I and others expressed concerns about United here before, I am still a little surprised it got axed and more importantly the timing of the announcement.

At the minute it looks like SNN is in a "last chance" situation, all eggs in one basket with EWR so it's make or break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Norwegian flights from Shannon are nearly full every day.

I am not surprised by the United decision to pull ORD, the loads were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I am not surprised by the United decision to pull ORD, the loads were awful.

Were they? Did they not improve this year?

I'm not surprised, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Were they? Did they not improve this year?

I'm not surprised, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

No, much worse than last year.

No, much worse than last year.

The CSO figures for June show that it's up by 10%

• Advertisement

The CSO figures for June show that it's up by 10%

Does that show the inbound loads?

Does that show the inbound loads?

12.7% increase on inbound.

6.7% increase on outbound.

12.7% increase on inbound.

6.7% increase on outbound.

There's no way that can be true.

There's no way that can be true.

I've never had any reason to think they weren't correct. However they are still lower than other routes with 757's like EWR, BOS and PHL.

Numbers were on the increase, obviously not good enough for a shrinking united regional TATL operation though. (As well as aging 757's)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

the reason they pulled the chicago is that the ewr was preforming very poorly, in sept when the ord ended the loads started to improve alot so although they might have got an increase the newark was still loosing 1000 a month, but i still find it mind boggling the fact that they are stopping in the end of november and not do the extra month cause december can be busy

• Advertisement

Someone suggesting on PPRUNE SK won't be back.

Not bookable either.

Was a bit of a test the waters route anyway, but the airport will need more growth from somewhere to achieve their goals. The airport did say something about retention and not growth, but that can't even be managed it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Not helped i'm sure that it was only Aug- Oct. why not Jun or July until the end of Sept when the weather would be nicer and more people on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Im not surprised with SAS. The loads were shambolic...30-40 per flight. Would've had some bit of hope if they stuck to CRJ ops.

Were only 23 booked on the flight that was cancelled.

There were upgrades from the -600 to -800 and A320NEO in September, why was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

The airport is getting worse, the only irish airport not to acheive growth this year aswell

I am not sure the SK schedule was to blame, SAS and DY scale down DUB in June/July before operating higher August/Sep frequency so I am assuming it's something to do with school holidays and sending aircraft to the Med.

Granted it wouldn't help outbound market.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would certainly have more use from Cork if it wasn't a 1.5-3.5 hour trip from Cork.

Anyway, good to see the runway work done and back to 24hr operations

There were upgrades from the -600 to -800 and A320NEO in September, why was this?

Best ask the fleet manager at SAS that. 29 people on the A320 that day.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    It would certainly have more use from Cork if it wasn't a 1.5-3.5 hour trip from Cork.

In your ultimate wisdom Marno, tell us why the route didn't go to Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In your ultimate wisdom Marno, tell us why the route didn't go to Cork.

No no, Shannon Airport would be more use if closer to Cork! Was replying to the post about declining numbers which didn't quote for some reason.

If Shannon was a quick trip from Cork it would be far more popular in Cork and surrounding areas. The state of the road and unpredictable journey times are a major stumbling block

marno21 wrote: »
    No no, Shannon Airport would be more use if closer to Cork! Was replying to the post about declining numbers which didn't quote for some reason.

If Shannon was a quick trip from Cork it would be far more popular in Cork and surrounding areas. The state of the road and unpredictable journey times are a major stumbling block

Oh okay! Picked you up wrong there!

Still, it is a bit of a catch out statement. If Shannon was much closer to Dublin I'm sure it would do better, on the far side of the Shannon it would get less traffic from Galway and more from cork.

Can't change it now, may as well live with it!

Oh okay! Picked you up wrong there!

Still, it is a bit of a catch out statement. If Shannon was much closer to Dublin I'm sure it would do better, on the far side of the Shannon it would get less traffic from Galway and more from cork.

Can't change it now, may as well live with it!
    I'll try again, I must explain myself clearer in future!

I'm not on about Shannon's location, I'm just talking about journey times. Shannon could be an hour from Cork and 45 minutes from Mallow but instead we have what we have. The M20 would be very benefical to both airports as they have fairly different destinations. Transatlantic/cargo etc from Shannon and Europe from Cork.

If the M20 was built and Shannon was starting to pick up I could see one of the Gulf carriers starting from Shannon.

M20 would be great for north county Cork at least! Same for Clare and Limerick going to Cork airport.

Personally, I don't see any gulf carriers coming to Shannon, the Dublin market is very saturated at the moment, no room on the rest of the island.

However, by the time the M20 is built the market could have changed massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

A Condor aircraft diverted to Shannon yesterday while routing from Seattle to Munich.

Reason unknown.

Shannon has moved to 3rd place. If we can retain this position we will be in the grand finale on Wednesday at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Unable to vote more than once in Chrome but Safari will allow you give it welly :-)

A Condor aircraft diverted to Shannon yesterday while routing from Seattle to Munich.

Reason unknown.

Issue with a toilet on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Reason unknown.
    Issue with a toilet on board.

Probably very relieved to ‘spend a penny’ at Shannon and they weren’t the first to divert here for such issues. :P

Advertisement