Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

Only found this now after 4 years.
    Shouldnt this be on under travel and transport rather than Co Clare as its not exactly a purely Clare thing.
    PS Sorry Clare people, no offence meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Paddico wrote: »
    Only found this now after 4 years.
    Shouldnt this be on under travel and transport rather than Co Clare as its not exactly a purely Clare thing.
    PS Sorry Clare people, no offence meant.

Commuting and transport? It wouldn't be allowed, would be moved to Aviation and aircraft, where there is already a thread (which has become inactive).

Perhaps it should be more inclusive of Limerick population, which are major users, however it's situated in Clare and don't see it being more suitable elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Shannon Airport is in Shannon and Shannon is in Clare so the only suitable regional forum is the Clare one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Clareman wrote: »
    Shannon Airport is in Shannon and Shannon is in Clare so the only suitable regional forum is the Clare one.

And not the home of, or the place where Irish Coffee was invented! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Shn99 wrote: »

I fear the airport really is on its last legs unless something drastically changes.

I fear the airport really is on its last legs unless something drastically changes.

Disagree, you're aware of the new Toronto service yes? As well as 3x weekly to SWF next summer? Much increased PHL service?

Numbers could stagnate this year, very disappointing for the airport, and a more proactive growth plan WILL need to be put in place, however on its last legs? Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Anna Aero Databases

2017 July 203,929 Passengers (-3.6%)

Shannon runway works completed ahead of schedule (Clare Herald)

Shannon Airport have confirmed the completion of a €15m resurfacing project on Ireland’s longest runway eight weeks ahead of schedule.

The refurbishment work on the main Shannon runway, which commenced in May of this year, included the full rehabilitation of 2,400m of runway surface, the replacement of runway edge and centre line lighting with energy efficient LED lighting, ducting and other associated works.

Lagan Asphalt Group, one of the leading contracting companies in Ireland, was appointed by Shannon Airport as the main contractor on the project following a successful bid under an EU tender process. A team of 90 people and 70 vehicles worked on the runway at night to avoid disrupting flights to and from Shannon Airport. At the peak of construction project, the Lagan Asphalt group laid the equivalent of one football pitch of refurbished runway surface each night.

The only piece of consolation news after hearing the loss of the Chicago route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Eurowings are running a website to get the public to vote where they should start flying to: http://www.vote-and-fly.com/

Shannon currently in last place with 1.9% of the vote.

• Advertisement

Paddico wrote: »
    For me it’s not just an airport, it’s also an industrial zone, a town, it is involved in tourist heritage projects and has a legacy of industrial estates throughout the Shannon Region.

Nationwide broadcasted recently a piece on Brendan O’Regan, which should give you a good idea about what I mean.

As JCX BXC says, on the Aviation & Aircraft forum there are some threads dealing with Shannon Airport too.

marno21 wrote: »
    Eurowings are running a website to get the public to vote where they should start flying to: http://www.vote-and-fly.com/

Shannon currently in tenth place with 1.9% of the vote. ;)

When somewhere I've never heard of has 45% of the vote I can say chances are low for this one.

Shannon now in 8th place.

23:10 Shannon now in 6th place with 2.5% of the vote, clearly helped a little by the recent social media drive!

I wonder if these four Air Berlin aircraft are being returned to the lessor due to the airlines financial plight?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I wonder if these four Air Berlin aircraft are being returned to the lessor due to the airlines financial plight?

There are 2 A330s there as well. Definitely returned to lessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

2 Airbus A321's from Monarch parked at Lufthansa 2 tonight. One owned by Avolon and the other Aer Cap

tv221 wrote: »
    2 Airbus A321's from Monarch parked at Lufthansa 2 tonight. One owned by Avolon and the other Aer Cap

Hopefuly that they will all go through the maintenance and paint hangars at the airport before being leased again.

At least four Monarch aircraft are now parked up at Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

The daa are actively trying to shut down Shannon. My sister works in airport 22 years and they are moving her to limerick along with 50 others. They were told we don't want to be paying rent to the enemy!
    The credit union will shut down now too as the 50 staff there from daa kept it going. The gas thing is all of these people applied for and got jobs working for Shannon airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Daa shared services I assume. Thought it was planned for a long time to move them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ElNino

Weren't the staff awarded thousands in compensation?
    https://fora.ie/daa-siptu-labour-court-3609428-Sep2017/

Also I imagine quite a few of them are commuting from Limerick to Shannon so the move will suit them. I am sure that is an unpleasant situation for some of the people involved but it is hardly the end of the world.

ElNino wrote: »
    Weren't the staff awarded thousands in compensation?
    https://fora.ie/daa-siptu-labour-court-3609428-Sep2017/

Also I imagine quite a few of them are commuting from Limerick to Shannon so the move will suit them. I am sure that is an unpleasant situation for some of the people involved but it is hardly the end of the world.

It's a 6k a year pay cut with no redundancy for them. Compensation doesn't cover it. It's another kick in teeth for Clare

golfball37 wrote: »
    It's a 6k a year pay cut with no redundancy for them. Compensation doesn't cover it. It's another kick in teeth for Clare

Another kick in the teeth? What was the last one?. By all means it seems that businesses in Shannon are doing quite well and there's some expansion.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Another kick in the teeth? What was the last one?. By all means it seems that businesses in Shannon are doing quite well and there's some expansion.

Airport? This will cost jobs there as will the loss of American routes to Dublin

golfball37 wrote: »
    Airport? This will cost jobs there as will the loss of American routes to Dublin

I'd also like to point out that for next year, we have a new route to Reus, extended season on PHL, Stewart increasing to 3pw and a great new route to Toronto.

Loss of American routes to Dublin? What's been moved to Dublin? Nothing from what I can see.

This "Dublin is Ruining Shannon" debate doesn't wash since they left the DAA. All is now fair, the DAA and SAA as semi-state agencies are fully entitled to compete to the fullest extent.

The loss of ORD is quite saddening alright, however you can't send blame left right and center. If you want my opinion on why it's ended, here it is.

Aging and diminishing 757 fleet : 757's are getting much older and are being retired. In a few years airlines most likely won't use any on TATL routes. Without any current replacement, it's routes that must be cut.

United are moving to hub airports in Europe. Traditionally an airline that's flown to regional European airports, we've seen massive downsizing/loss of service in the last 2/3 years at regional airports across Europe, while airports like DUB have gained flights.

However, on the plus side, aircraft like the 737 MAX and A321NEO will open up new opportunities for airports like Shannon into the future.

marno21 wrote: »

Just a quick update, Shannon now in 4th place with 7.3% of the vote, just overtook Belfast.

Jet dumps fuel and diverts to Shannon with ill passenger (Clare Herald)

Royal Jordanian flight RJ-264 was travelling from Chicago in the US to Amman in Jordan when the crew declared a medical emergency this (Saturday) morning.

Emergency medical services were placed on standby for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner jet which landed safely at 9.43am.

So far this year, of all the diversions at Shannon Airport, 21 have been medical. In one incident, the captain of a United Airlines flight fell ill forcing his first officer to take control and divert to Shannon.

Last year, of 239 unscheduled landings at Shannon Airport, 30 were medical emergencies, rising every year since 2013.

2017 Monthly Figures for Munitions of War Exemptions (Department of Transport)

There were 190 exemption applications from airlines for flights with personal weapons of troops on board landing at Shannon Airport between January and August.

I wonder what percentage would reflect flights by Omni Air International.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

In todays Travel Extra...
    Dominic Tucker, Norwegian sales manager for Ireland and Britain, said that "Shannon to Stewart is outselling Dublin to Stewart proportionally". And he revealed that Irish sales are performing very well, but said the airline needs to get Irish passengers buying more onboard, and more on top of the basic fare, as they tend to avoid paying for ancillaries like baggage and meals. Getting passengers to pay for wifi is a no-no as he reckons "we missed the boat on that one" by offering it for free from the off

• Advertisement

In todays Travel Extra...

Helps explain the move to 3pw for the coming summer. I wonder what the actual LF's are like?

Advertisement