Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

marno21 wrote: »
    A lot of people I've been talking to have flown with D8 to New York/Boston simply because of the cheap flights. They wouldn't have gone only for the fact D8 were much cheaper than EI (promotional fare with no addons in some cases) so from what I've seen D8 seem to be tapping into a new market as opposed to robbing passengers from EI/UA/AA/DL.

No surprise that D8 are doing well in that case with traffic in both directions (it must be appealing to US based flyers as well to get fairly cheap flights without having to negotiate the NYC airports or Logan). It doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on the incumbents either other than forcing them to drop their prices.

If DY start flights to JFK/BOS on 787s from Dublin then I could see that having an effect on EI/US carriers passenger numbers.
    The cork D8 numbers are very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The airport has been knocking on klm's door for years. They famously pulled out a picture of the grim reaper at the airport during a visit a few years ago. (was in the press)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

golfball37 wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »
    A lot of people I've been talking to have flown with D8 to New York/Boston simply because of the cheap flights. They wouldn't have gone only for the fact D8 were much cheaper than EI (promotional fare with no addons in some cases) so from what I've seen D8 seem to be tapping into a new market as opposed to robbing passengers from EI/UA/AA/DL.

No surprise that D8 are doing well in that case with traffic in both directions (it must be appealing to US based flyers as well to get fairly cheap flights without having to negotiate the NYC airports or Logan). It doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on the incumbents either other than forcing them to drop their prices.

If DY start flights to JFK/BOS on 787s from Dublin then I could see that having an effect on EI/US carriers passenger numbers.
    The cork D8 numbers are very poor.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Airport now sponsoring Munster Rugby

Munster wore the new kit at the weekend. Airport logo right across the back of the shorts. Quite prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Three Year Summary of Passenger Traffic Figures (Shannon Airport)

It has taken the airport 8 months to update their website.

The interesting statistic is the transit figures, despite Kuwait Airlines the numbers of U.S. military personnel must be way down.

Speaking of military, the Luftwaffe is using Shannon’s painting facilities. :cool:

427051.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where do they put the figures for flights from Asia? I recall a weekly Turkish charter in 2014/2015, was that just thrown into the Europe figures? What about the private aircraft from the Middle East that arrive here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where do they put the figures for flights from Asia? I recall a weekly Turkish charter in 2014/2015, was that just thrown into the Europe figures? What about the private aircraft from the Middle East that arrive here?

Last time I checked Turkey was part of Europe.

Last time I checked Turkey was part of Europe.

I'd advise you check again.

The European part is tiny, and anywhere you'd be flying to (except Istanbul Atatürk, which is the largest airport) would be in Asia, not Europe.

I'd advise you check again.

The European part is tiny, and anywhere you'd be flying to (except Istanbul Atatürk, which is the largest airport) would be in Asia, not Europe.

Turkey is a member of the Council of Europe since 1949. It's in the European Customs Union and has applied to join the EU. It's a European country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Turkey is a member of the Council of Europe since 1949. It's in the European Customs Union and has applied to join the EU. It's a European country.

Israel and Australia compete in the Eurovision, does that make them European countries?

• Advertisement

No sorry, you can't change well defined continental borders by a few strategic unions. Less than 5% of turkey lies in Europe.

Israel was in the Eurovision, is that suddenly in Europe?

What's with straw man Eurovision arguments? I never mentioned the Eurovision. Turkey is a member of Eurocontrol, therefore all flights from Turkey count as European.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

I won'the sleep tonight worrying about this ...... :)

Ps. Maybe I'll just try and dream about Aldi coming to SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Saw S18 Map from Berlin and I think SNN wasn't listed.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Was it expected to come back? I had a fair assumption that like all routes, once it's gone it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was it expected to come back? I had a fair assumption that like all routes, once it's gone it's gone.

Always a possibility but S18 is more less the same as 17 except for it,

No WED/THURS Delta flights for the remainder of this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Did it show Kerry continuing the service into S18???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

SNN-FCO now showing on the ryanair website. Nothing loaded yet. Would fill in the gap left by the discontinuation of SXF

Shn99 wrote: »
    SNN-FCO now showing on the ryanair website. Nothing loaded yet. Would fill in the gap left by the discontinuation of SXF

Never been removed, has been there since the one off rugby charter.

• Advertisement

Jet diverts to Shannon with fuel issues (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic jet has diverted to Shannon Airport this evening after the crew reported an issue with their fuel.

American Airlines flight AA-142 was travelling from New York to London Heathrow and was almost five hours into its journey when the crew reported an anomaly with the jets fuel readings.

The flight had about 90 minutes to run to London when the crew opted to divert and land at
    Shannon Airport. There were 203 passengers and crew on board.

Munster wore the new kit at the weekend. Airport logo right across the back of the shorts. Quite prominent.

Yep, "bottoms up" for Shannon everytime the Munster scrum or maul shoves for the try line. ;)

Just had a quick browse on PPRuNe, and there's word of Air Canada Rouge announcing a Canadian route next week, not sure how reliable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ryanair S18 on sale with no change so S17, from what I can tell.

Ryanair S18 on sale with no change so S17, from what I can tell.

Less Berlin.

ALC also going from 3pw to 2pw

ALC also going from 3pw to 2pw

That's wrong, the base frequency for Alicante was always 2pw.

Extra seasonal frequencies won't be added until around November/December, at which point you'll see routes like Malaga, Majorca and Alicante gaining a rotation or two for the peak months.

Tweet from Canadian ambassador to Ireland Kevin Vickers - "Big things continue to happen between Ireland and Canada. Can't wait for tomorrow's announcements". Could have something to do with Air Canada

Tweet from Canadian ambassador to Ireland Kevin Vickers - "Big things continue to happen between Ireland and Canada. Can't wait for tomorrow's announcements". Could have something to do with Air Canada

Just read PPRuNe and apparently Air Canada Rouge will be announcing a route to Toronto (YYZ) tomorrow, and will be operated by a 767-300.

• Advertisement

Airport down 5.5% between April and June. Very disappointing decrease. Neil Pakey's short term explosion growth is quickly dissipating.

Hopefully if this Canadian route is announced it may bring a good few passengers next summer. This winter is looking bleak with UA gone.

Advertisement