Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Cargo jet makes emergency landing at Shannon (Clare Herald)

The United Parcel Service (UPS) flight was en route from Philadelphia in the US to Cologne in Germany at the time. There were five crew members on board.

Flight UPS-203 was about an hour south west of Shannon when the crew contacted air traffic controllers, declaring a Pan Pan and reporting they had detected smoke on board the aircraft.

Two weeks ago . . .

Jet makes emergency landing at Shannon after engine shut down (RTE)

A plane on a transatlantic flight made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport after the crew was forced to shut down an engine.

United Airlines flight UA-125 was travelling from Athens, Greece to Newark in the US.

There were 211 passengers and crew on board the flight

Breen to meet United Airlines management (Clare Herald) July 25, 2017

The Minister for Trade, Employment, Business, EU Digital Single Market and Data Protection will meet with senior management at United Airlines this week to ask them to rethink the decision to suspend its New York winter flights from Shannon.

Nice gesture, hopefully he leaves a positive mark with United's management that Shannon appreciates their year round service to Newark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Won't work, and I'm surprised they even decided to meet with him.

Nice gesture, however a gesture won't fix declining numbers and rapidly aging 757's.

I've recently seen talk of United getting serious about using 737MAX on TATL, if that comes about I could see Shannon getting service enhancements. Lets hope it's sooner rather than later though, every winter without a real NYC service will do damage to the market that's been built over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

That's an old article, the meeting was a waste of time and obviously didn't go well. It is a huge shame for the airport that United have felt it necessary to pull this route, hopefully it is only for this year.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I've recently seen talk of United getting serious about using 737MAX on TATL, . . .

There was a recent announcement for their domestic network.

Which Boeing 737 MAX models can serve the transatlantic routes?
    United Airlines Announce Order for 100 737 MAX 10s (Boeing)

LE BOURGET, France, June 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and United Airlines [NYSE: UAL] today announced an agreement at the 2017 Paris Air Show to convert 100 of its current 737 MAX orders into 737 MAX 10s, becoming the largest single 737 MAX 10 customer in the world.

"The 737 MAX 10 will enable us to continue using larger and more efficient aircraft within our domestic network and better meet the needs of our customers today and into the future," said Andrew Levy, United Airlines executive vice president and chief financial officer.

United expects to begin taking delivery of the 737 MAX 10 in late 2020.

• Advertisement

That's an old article . . .

The article is hardly old as it was published on the 25th of July.
    . . . the meeting was a waste of time and obviously didn't go well.

What we have, we have and no stone should be left unturned to reactivate the winter schedule, be it this year or next year.

The article is hardly old as it was published on the 25th of July.

What we have, we have and no stone should be left unturned to reactivate the winter schedule, be it this year or next year.

Sorry that wasn't a dig at you. I just meant the article was from late July so the meeting must have taken place between then and now, nothing good has been reported so obviously nothing is changing this winter.

That particular politician is a waste of space in my opinion, especially when it comes to airport matters.

Propeller%20Shannon_.JPG

Minister of State Pat Breen TD launches the "Propeller Shannon" Start-Up Accelerator at Shannon Airport (Enterprise Ireland)

Accelerator programme, supported by Enterprise Ireland now open to applications from entrepreneurs and teams in the aviation sector.

Minister of State for Trade, Employment, Business, EU Digital Single Market and Data Protection, Pat Breen TD today Monday 24th July, 2017, launched the Propeller Shannon start-up accelerator programme, supported by Enterprise Ireland to further enhance the aviation and the aerospace start-up ecosystem within Ireland.

The Propeller Shannon start-up accelerator, a partnership between Shannon Group’s International Aviation Services Centre (IASC), DCU Ryan Academy for Entrepreneurs, Boeing, and Datalex, and supported by Enterprise Ireland, aims to drive the development of innovative Irish and international start-up companies in the aviation sector.

The Propeller Shannon accelerator is now open to applications from potential teams or individuals both in Ireland and from overseas working in the aviation, aerospace and travel tech sectors. There are 10 slots available within the programme which will be based at a dedicated innovation hub in the Shannon Free Zone adjacent to Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Considering Birmingham lost its Newark service for good Shannon didn't come off too badly

SNN-FRA bookable again from end of next April which is positive news

• Advertisement

SNN-FRA bookable again from end of next April which is positive news

It's been bookable for months, booking engines like Lufthansa just rehash the previous year's schedule. Doesn't mean much.

JCX BXC wrote:
    It's been bookable for months, booking engines like Lufthansa just rehash the previous year's schedule. Doesn't mean much.

Wasn't bookable 2 weeks ago.

Wasn't bookable 2 weeks ago.

Was when I looked at the start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

lufthansa will b back after a slow start flights are going out full

lufthansa will b back after a slow start flights are going out full

Never said they wouldn't "b" back, was just noting that airlines like Lufthansa rehash their schedules, and then remove or update after a while, as opposed to airlines like Ryanair, who generally release their final schedule when they release it (changes are made still though, just not as much).

I'd hope for Lufthansa to increase frequency, as I feel 1pw can be quite useless for many, and 2pw/3pw could help tap into a larger market, for both connections and tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Does anyone know what the schedule SAS will operate from SNN next yr - is it year round, or just summer? I love traveling through Shannon airport due to the convenience and how easy it is. I'm looking at flights to Stockholm for March next yr. Rtn from DUB is only €83, however from SNN it is €350 as the flights are connecting through LHR :(

Runs only AUG-OCT.

Can I ask, how do you know the Lufthansa flights are going out full?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Runs only AUG-OCT.

Can I ask, how do you know the Lufthansa flights are going out full?

They are fairly full going out every week.

i work in the airport

Fair enough, is this visual inspection or have you seen actual load figures?

I've heard the same about full loads, however nothing official. Hopefully if loads are quite positive the service may be increased next year.

I've not heard such positive things about SAS, heard things have been going slow. Saturday's flight was on a CRJ. Hopefully it's enough to be sustained.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote:
    . Saturday's flight was on a CRJ. Hopefully it's enough to be sustained.

As was planned from the beginning, 1 crj and 1 737 flight a week

visual inspection, we had around 50 for a few weeks at the start but in the last month or so around the 120 mark

The CSO statistics for April are out.

United's Newark numbers have dropped even before the main season has started.

425001.png

A Norwegian flight from Orlando to Gatwick diverted to Shannon due to crew exceeding their flying hours last Wednesday.

There were met with a fresh crew that arrived from Gatwick.

In all there were three Norwegian aircraft to be seen parked together at Shannon, the third aircraft was the scheduled flight to Stewart International (New York).

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949||||||
    Change|+5.6%|+7.7%|+2.8%|-2.8%|-1.7%|-2.8%|-4.1%||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Was out in the airport this week and noticed a 'No Drones' sign at the side car park across from Hertz.

Did someone actually try fly a drone that close or is it just precautionary in case they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Was out in the airport this week and noticed a 'No Drones' sign at the side car park across from Hertz.

Did someone actually try fly a drone that close or is it just precautionary in case they do?

There are a few signs now. First one I saw was at Gate 6 (The Honk). Precautionary afaik. I've heard of no incidents. You'd have to wonder how thick someone would have to be fly a drone that close to an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ennisman wrote: »
    There are a few signs now. First one I saw was at Gate 6 (The Honk). Precautionary afaik. I've heard of no incidents. You'd have to wonder how thick someone would have to be fly a drone that close to an airport.

If it's thickness you want, wait long enough and you won't be disappointed. The level of thickness that abounds in all spheres of life can be amazing sometimes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Comhra wrote: »
    If it's thickness you want, wait long enough and you won't be disappointed. The level of thickness that abounds in all spheres of life can be amazing sometimes :-)

Nuff said!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coast-guard-rescues-woman-trying-to-retrieve-drone-from-cliff-face-1.3188366?mode=amp

• Advertisement

Profits double at rescued plane firm (Irish Examiner)

Pre-tax profits at Shannon-based aircraft maintenance firm, Atlantic Aviation Group, almost doubled, last year, to €1.48m.

Newly-filed accounts for the company — which exited examinership in 2015 — show revenues increased by 70% to €25.15m. :cool:

The Shannon-based group — formerly known as Transaero Engineering — entered examinership in January, 2015, and exited three months later.

The business had been owned by Russian group, Transaero Airlines, which said, in December, 2014, that it was “fighting for its survival”, due to sanctions on Russian businesses.

As of the end of last year, the company employed 231 people, with staff costs for the year amounting to €10.5m.

Advertisement