Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

22 cancellations since October 10th. Mostly transatlantic but also some SNN-LHR services.

EI-DUO back in Dublin since 14th not back in services yet.

EI-FNG back in service since since 19th following Boston incident on 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

DUO actually back in service from today, its EWR that's out now in maintence!

Also the middle flight on a TUE/WED seems cut for the rest of this month and some of next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Carnacalla wrote: »
    This may also be very beneficial for Delta and United.
    I think that has to be the response to the lack of reliability. Folk expect better from AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Flightradar.jpg

Emergency crews on standby at Shannon for jet (Clare Herald)

The United Airlines jet has been burning off aviation fuel for almost two hours after the crew reported a problem shortly after taking off from Belfast.

Flight UA-76 was on its way to Newark in the US when the issue arose. It’s understood the crew reported a possible problem with the aircrafts landing gear.

The flight made a low fly past at 2.10pm so that engineers could carry out a visual inspection of the landing gear from the ground.

The aircraft landed safely at 2.28pm and after a further inspection on the runway, the jet was towed to the terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I heard something about the airport being closed in the event of the Gardaí going on strike. I'm supposed to be flying on Friday 11th Nov. I wonder will it come to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

finbarrk wrote: »
    I heard something about the airport being closed in the event of the Gardaí going on strike. I'm supposed to be flying on Friday 11th Nov. I wonder will it come to that?

It's more to do with who will carry out the immigration checks.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for July are out with the exception of Edinburgh (CSO).

The total UK figures for July are up +6.7% as against the same month from last year.

400143.png

Breen receives assurances on Aer Lingus’ future in Shannon (Clare Herald)

I’m afraid all that he achieved was that representatives for Aer Lingus acknowledged that public relations were handled badly in the cancellation of more than twenty flights.

Surprised Aer Lingus even entertained him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Surprised Aer Lingus even entertained him.

Government minister so they'd have to really, wouldn't put much value on what's being said though

Won't stop Aer Lingus continue to cancel flights, infact I'd wager that it will get worse with the ever growing EI LH flight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Clareman wrote: »
    Government minister so they'd have to really, wouldn't put much value on what's being said though

Before IAG yes, not now.

We don't see him seeking a meeting with FR as we know he would be told F*** O**.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Before IAG yes, not now.

We don't see him seeking a meeting with FR as we know he would be told F*** O**.

At any time really, Aer Lingus could simply claim that its a choice between Shannon, Cork, Dublin or Belfast and as Shannon is the lowest profit making that they'll change Shannon, like what they did with the Heathrow slots in the past.

Two emergency landings at Shannon (Clare Herald)

The first aircraft landed shortly before 1.30pm after the crew declared a medical emergency.

KLM flight 686 was travelling from Mexico to Amsterdam when the crew requested permission to divert to the nearest suitable airport.

The crew of the Boeing 747-400 requested emergency medical services to be standing by for their arrival.

Soon afterwards, a United Airlines flight from Brussels to Washington turned around over the Atlantic and rerouted to Shannon.

A380 due in this evening, check the Shannon Airport Spotters thread on the Aviation and Aircraft forum.

I presume its doing a bit of training?

400289.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

G-XLEK is tonight enroute to JNB in south Africa ..... it's a small world , that's for sure ....

Was fortunate enough to get a video earlier, poor quality though.

Third Heathrow runway could benefit Irish regional airports (Irish Times)

Extra capacity at Heathrow could open prospect of Irish airports getting more slots at the London hub

According to Neil Pakey, former chief executive of State-owned Shannon Group and now chairman of the UK-based Regional and Business Airports group, extra capacity at Heathrow could open the prospect of Irish airports getting more slots at the London hub, including regional gateways such as his former employer.

“If the runway goes ahead that is better news for Irish airports because they will be able to expand existing services to Heathrow and that means that they will have the chance to increase connectivity.”

• Advertisement

First departure tomorrow isn't until 8am, same for Wednesday (United to Newark)! From Tuesday the 14th November the first departure isn't until 08:50 (Aer Lingus to Heathrow) for Tuesday and Wednesday due to Ryanair cutting the Stansted service down to 12 weekly. The airport schedule just doesn't look right!

Sad to see, Dublin is struggling with stands at these hours of the morning, and Cork isn't much better, while Shannon doesn't even have a service until 8:50am.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for August and September, but without Stansted (2x) and Cardiff (1x).

400454.png

hobie14 wrote: »
    G-XLEK is tonight enroute to JNB in south Africa ..... it's a small world , that's for sure ....

After reading the article below, plans should be put in place for new airbridges to serve A380 charters. :D
    Why South Africa is the real answer to making the Guinness Pro 12 a long-term commercial success (Wales Online)

How would the travel work?

South Africa might be a long way from Europe, but there are actually significant travel and time of day factors that work in favour of bringing the South Africans into the fold.

The time difference between South Africa and Greenwich Mean Time (UK), depending on the time of year, is either just one or two hours.

Yes, a flight from South Africa to the UK takes nearly 12 hours, but if you take a night flight and sleep, you can arrive fresh and raring to go the next morning.

And with chartered planes, South African teams could take direct flights to Cardiff Airport, or say Dublin, Shannon, Belfast, Glasgow and Edinburgh airports.

Shannon aircraft business upbeat about prospects (Irish Examiner)

Atlantic Aviation Group

Newly filed accounts for the company show that it generated pre-tax profits of €782,692 in the eight months following it exiting examinership in April last year.

The firm entered examinership in January of last year and exited three months later.

The company was owned by Russian group Transaero Airlines, which said in 2014 it was “fighting for its survival” due to sanctions on Russian businesses.

Numbers employed by the company last year reduced from 235 to 217. A breakdown shows there were 146 employed as mechanics and apprentices and 71 in management and administration.

In the accounts, the directors say they are satisfied with the results for the year and the outlook is positive. The report said the company has been strengthened in operations, marketing, and human resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colea

Looking for the best long term parking option in Shannon Airport - the Park4Less is best value for money but how far it is from the terminal buildings, is there a shuttle bus service to this car park, I don't want to have to carry bags in the rain if it means the only way to/from is on foot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

colea wrote: »
    Looking for the best long term parking option in Shannon Airport - the Park4Less is best value for money but how far it is from the terminal buildings, is there a shuttle bus service to this car park, I don't want to have to carry bags in the rain if it means the only way to/from is on foot

There's no bus. It's literally around the corner from the terminal. 5-10 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

colea wrote: »

I used Park4Less recently - it's only a 5 minute walk. If there's 2 of you traveling together or if you're travelling with kids, one person can wait with the bags(&kids) in the set down area while the other goes to get the car - obviously a person not weighed down with bags can get back to the car a lot faster. There's 15 mins free in the set down area, so that might help.

On the shuttle bus thing - back in the celtic tiger years when they opened this car park first and it was regular full price LT parking, they did have a shuttle bus from this car park....it was faster to walk even with your bags!!!

There is also a private service completely separate from the airport - Affordable Parking - that do offer a shuttle bus service. I used it once and was very happy with it. Drops you to the door & picks you up again. Think price wise it worked out the same as Park4Less when I priced it recently, so I opted to use the airport one as I was coming back late at night & didn't want to be depending on a shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colea

Thank you chuckles30, very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

September traffic up 0.2%

Numbers overall up 29,064 between Jan-Sep.

• Advertisement

Irish Aviation Authority closer to launch of global tracking system (Irish Times)

The IAA’s station at Ballygireen, Co Clare, will operate the satellite-based control and emergency system called Alert for aircraft flying over oceans or remote regions where radar cannot detect them.

Following recent tests, the system’s developer Aireon and the IAA confirmed that the authority’s equipment was ready to receive and process the data from the satellites that would be used to pinpoint aircraft locations.

Aireon and the authority described the result as a “major step” towards deploying the system, which will use information from more than 60 satellites which are due for launch next year.

aerion-alert.gif?w=750&h=419

Advertisement