Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The lack of HD and lack of a decent online structure from the Wii has really hurt them for the Wii U, remember it took MS and Sony a while to adapt to HD in the beginning of the PS3 and 360.

That said, they still need to wake up and change their methods, similar to Sony identifying and rectifying their past mistakes to make the PS4 a better console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

In all likelihood, I'm going to go for a Wii U and PS4 when I get around to buying the next gen range. While Nintendo may be lacking in power, they are great in terms of creative talent and unique titles. The games are optimised for their console and will get the best out of it.

In fact, I'd be erring towards getting the Wii U before the PS4 because I'd be playing many of the ps4 games on my pc. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PC + PS4/Xbox One + Wii U is all a true gamer really needs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yes nobody is denying Nintendo make great games.
    The point I think he was making is that having inferior hardware specs does not help creativity.

Fine Nintendo make great games but if I buy a console I also what to be able to run multiplatform games at a comparable standard to other platforms.

The SNES ran games up to the same level as the Sega Megadrive and even better in some ways and that did not cripple the creativity of Nintendo.

Sure, but a) it's nowhere near the same price as the other consoles so expecting similar hardware power is very unreasonable and b) Nintendo do not make games that require a whole lot of grunt. You don't need great hardware to have great games, you've been drinking far too much of the Kool-Aid if you believe this.

If you want a PS4 or XBox buy one, complaining that the Wii U isn't one is kind of strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

PC + PS4/Xbox One + Wii U is all a true gamer really needs ;)

And you get this.:D

tangled.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

As much as I would love these two games Donkey Kong in particular it does not have enough or do what I want to justify paying for it.
    That to me says they need to release more games, not necessarily they need more third party games.
    Polar101 wrote: »
    Who is the Wii U actually aimed for? It looks like a great console, but I wouldn't buy a console just to play a Mario game.
    Monster Hunter 3, Zelda, Bayonetta 2 and X are the ones that immediately spring to mind for me. You might say, is that all, what comes after, to which the necessary counter is we don't really know that much about future titles for the One or PS4 either. We'll see a lot more from all 3 I reckon at say E3.
    Fnz wrote: »
    If I was in the market for one console, it absolutely would sting to know that, because I wanted those sweet Nintendo games, I'd have to settle for inferior hardware. Why would I want it to have the same power as the competition? Because it being weaker is not inherently beneficial. Saying it forces them to be more creative than the competition rings completely hollow.
    When I'm playing Bayonetta 2 and X for instance, I don't think I'll feel stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hardly dead in the water, its a cracking console. Marketing is lamentable however. Big price drop, say £99/150e mark, more advertisement.

I'd definitely snap one up at €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Wii u doing terrible = Nintendo dead
    Sony closing buildings and shareholders have them in junk status = dead
    Xbox one drm u turn and 500 price tag = dead
    Steam summer sales = wallet dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hardly dead in the water, its a cracking console. Marketing is lamentable however. Big price drop, say £99/150e mark, more advertisement.

Third party developers don't want to develop for it, there's a good article on Eurogamer from a developer outlining the nightmare they had with it and why their software house won't be developing for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nintendo has never been known for their party stuff anyway, not in my memory. First party is nintendo's strength.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Third party developers don't want to develop for it, there's a good article on Eurogamer from a developer outlining the nightmare they had with it and why their software house won't be developing for it again.

yeah and another developer mostly criticised the points the man made on eurogamer

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/13/ping-1-5-creator-speaks-out-about-digital-foundry-wii-u-developer-article/

Nintendo has never been known for their party stuff anyway, not in my memory. First party is nintendo's strength.

The last console that was lacking EA support was the Sega Dreamcast.

A console can not survive without 3rd party games.

The last console that was lacking EA support was the Sega Dreamcast.

A console can not survive without 3rd party games.

True but dreamcast was selling just fine without them

True but dreamcast was selling just fine without them

And I remember all the Dreamcast exclusives been ported Sonic Adventure 2 went onto the Gamecube Crazy Taxi onto PS2 and Jet Set Radio onto the Xbox and so on.

I would not bet against playing a Mario game on my Xbox this generation.

I absolutely would. I would go so far to say in fact, the idea of playing main nintendo games on other home consoles is ludicrous, frankly.

Sega fans use to say it would be a cold day in Hell when Sonic the Hedgehog would appear on a Nintendo console never mind in a game with Mario and Donkey Kong in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

After the last few FIFA games, id be more than happy not to have to shell out 50 quid for better graphics and a few slight tweaks to the last year. Thats the problem, of course people will eat up EA and their clone games, but if thats the yard stick for a consoles survival then it's become quite sad.

Nintendo are struggling with the Wii U yes, but I fully believe with this years lineup and what they have in reserve game wise, that they'll recover. None of this 'they should give up' nonsense.

Right, but this isn't the same situation. Nintendo are not bankrupt, or haemorrhaging money. All they need to do in fact, is pay more attention to the competition, step up the advertising, and price drop the sodding Wii U.

And I remember all the Dreamcast exclusives been ported Sonic Adventure 2 went onto the Gamecube Crazy Taxi onto PS2 and Jet Set Radio onto the Xbox and so on.

well it was not lack of ea that failed the dreamcast SEGA CD, 32X,Saturn already done the damage

it was playstation 2 popularity that killed the dc off

Nintendo have enough money in the bank to last them 20 years of failure

it was not too long ago they surpassed sony as a value company

they have also suggested that if a day came when they wouldn't make hardware they will take their games with them

Absolutely won't happen. Nintendo aren't SEGA, and have huge reserves that even in the event of a failure could easily keep going and launch more consoles. They have already started on the next one anyway, but thats not anything unusual anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Sega fans use to say it would be a cold day in Hell when Sonic the Hedgehog would appear on a Nintendo console never mind in a game with Mario and Donkey Kong in also.

If you honestly think Sega in the Dreamcast era and Nintendo now are similar you havent got a clue tbh. Sega were on the ropes after 2-3 bad consoles in a row. and while the wii u is a potential failure the 3ds has been a huge success

Nintendo are far far healthier than Sega ever were and are far healthier than Sony and the Xbox division atm

You'll sooner see Sony exclusive on nintendo systems than the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

A lot of people have made some good comments.

1/ Historically the Wii was a magic hit. People queuing and kicking each other to get their hands on one. It sold in droves but the novelty of motion was not enough to keep the casual market engaged for a second round. In other words they didn't create loyal customers.

2/ The tablet market is now huge and you can buy a reasonable tablet for the kids for under €50 which can then download hundreds of games FOR FREE plus the internet and a camera and a whole other bunch of things. Even if you pay for games they are chump change compared to console games.

3/ good tablets and phones are now handling games that the last gen could and come with motion sensors as standard. where is the incentive for the casual market to invest in a secondary expensive device? MS and Sony will start to release older titles on the up coming phones and tablets sooner than you think. KOTOR, FFX, and every other PS and MS title you can think of for €5-€10eu.

4/ The ps4/x1 as always aim at the top end market for cutting edge games.

Nintendo will survive. I would think that a gamers tablet and a move to tablet orientated games would be better for them as well as providing games for the existing consoles. If Nintendo made a great tablet I'd consider buying one. something like project Fiona for windows 8. Expect to see more top end gamers tablets in the coming years

yeah and another developer mostly criticised the points the man made on eurogamer

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/13/ping-1-5-creator-speaks-out-about-digital-foundry-wii-u-developer-article/

Haven't seen that one yet, I'll have a read,

Lantus wrote: »

Nintendo will survive. I would think that a gamers tablet and a move to tablet orientated games would be better for them as well as providing games for the existing consoles. If Nintendo made a great tablet I'd consider buying one. something like project Fiona for windows 8. Expect to see more top end gamers tablets in the coming years

That is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think they should move their 1st party titles to other devices, PS4 would be nice

"We cannot continue a business without winning," Iwata said on Friday during a press conference attended by Bloomberg. "We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata added. "Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone."

Investors and analysts have urged Nintendo to broaden its horizons and boost profits by embracing smartphones on multiple occasions over the past few years, but Iwata has always insisted that his responsibility is to plan for the long term, not simply to make a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I like Nintendo consoles and I have owned them all apart from the Wii U.

You bought a Virtual Boy but you wouldn't buy a Wii U?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Haven't seen that one yet, I'll have a read,

It was hardly a well constructed rebuttal, it was basically some guy saying "No it's not".

Nintendo should and will remain in the console market. If it ends up they make a huge loss on the Wii U, they will simply reevaluate and either add power or innovate another way.

In my opinion, it'd be a shame to ever see Nintendo as just a game company given their ideas in hardware since consoles were born.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hope it's not indicative of the casual gaming audience but I've had a few friends ask me when the new Nintendo console is out (assuming the WiiU was just the controller) and that the 2DS is just a rebranded DS. Nintendo stinks at marketing right now. I'd place the name "WiiU" at the forefront of the problem. It doesn't sound like a new console. People understand NES, then Super NES. What does the U stand for (or is it some terrible play on of we, you?). In the end, Ninty will survive. I deplore the gaming dirtrags heralding the death of Nintendo. Iwata in his Scrooge McDuck mansion still has plenty of coin in the bank.
    nesf wrote: »
    Why on earth do you want a third console that can play the same games as the other two? It's not aimed at the same market demographic, really it doesn't need to share hardware with the other two.

This is an excellent strategy if they had killer exclusives to back it up.
    They could possibly save it if they sold the console without the controller (dropping the price substantially in doing so) and put in the ability to use an ipad or android touch screen device or a kindle or surface pro or whatever in it's place as most people have these things.

This is an excellent idea. I don't know if it's feasible as the tech is locked in place now but great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yes the Wii U isn't doing well but I don't understand why so many online are happy about the fact.

They complain about the price and that the gamepad is a stupid gimmick yet are rushing out to but XBox One with a mandatory Kinect. Also people blaming the name yet how come the XBox One name hasn't caused any confusion?

I can't see third parties rushing back anytime soon. They won't develop if there are no customers and people aren't buying the Wii U due to the third parties not devloping for it. Also due to the small install base, anyone who's a fan of multiplayer is less likely to play a third party multiplayer game on Wii U due to less people being online.

And even if there is a turnaround in sales and third party devs decide to come back, it won;t be sudden as they'll then need time to develop leading to delayed releases which will be along the lines of the launch lineup. And this was one of EA's excuses for abandoning the Wi U. They blamed the fact that games that were released on other platforms a long time before the Wii U launch, such as Mass Effect 3, sold poorly on Wii U.

I have one. I like it. But sadly I think, like the Wii, self proclaimed "hardcore gamers" will dismiss it as having no/kids' games and say Nintendo never do anything different with their games. The Wii had some of the best games around, in my opinion and I still have games like Mario 3D World to play on my Wii U.

Also they make games that let me do something a lot of games these days seem to ignore. They let me have fun. :D

And just so you know, I've got the Nintendo consoles, PS3 and PC.

Advertisement