Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thornbridge Wild Swan to wash down a nice 10oz rump steak with sautéed onions and mushrooms and steamed tendersteam broccoli.

It's nice but very light bodied. Perfect lawnmower beer I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Brasserie from Aldi.

decent beer for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Seaneh wrote: »
    I remember when I thought Pauliner and Eirdinger were exotic rarities to be savoured and extolled.

We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

A fresh hefe that dosent smell like a rubber bands can sometimes be a rarity in dublin ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brown Paper Bag Project: Trinity.

A 70 cl bottle of tripel, of which I will drink maybe 50cl because the rest exploded out of the bottle and all over the couch. :eek: :mad:

Tis lovely all the same. Not worth the price tag, but I had to try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

This week I am drinking a selection of Caribbean lagers. Complex they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The only intriguing thing about Caribbean beer is stout punch. Must try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

drumswan wrote: »
    This week I am drinking a selection of Caribbean lagers. Complex they are not.

:D Fizzy rum?

If I was in the Caribbean I'd be on the Dragon Stout of Guinness FES I reckon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Hooker Stout on cask in WJK. Very different beast to its Shop St nitro equivalent. Very silky mouthfeel with a strong burned-malt taste. Not quite as smokey as my last pint of it but enjoyable.

Bit pricey at €6 though. Could have had two pints of Beamish in the Cauldfield's Hotel next door with all the boys for a few coins more.

Bottle of Kipling while watching Master Chef.

Really abusing the fact that these beers are so cheap here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I hate you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Does it taste better at that price point? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Full Sail on cask in the brewdock, I missed it the last couple of times it was on but hoping to head in for one before getting a train this evening

drumswan wrote: »
    Does it taste better at that price point? :P

Nope, but I'm more likely to buy it and feel it's value for money at €2.85 per bottle where as I think it's massively over priced and not worth buying at the €4.90 price point it's sold at in Irish offies.

Kipling and Jaipur are two of my favourite beers but I'd rarely buy them back home unless they are on draught in a pub because bottles are prohibitively expensive in both offies and bars.

I picked up the following the other day.

2 x Jaipur @ £2.39 each
    2 x Kipling @ £2.26 each
    2 x Wild Swan @ £2.06 each.

That's a total of £13.42 or €16.95.

Back home those beers would have cost me at least a tenner more (the 2 kipling and 2 jaipur alone would be €20.20 in drink store).

Pint of Independence Ale. Brewed for Witherspoon's by Devil's Backbone Brewery's Jason Oliver.

Lovely American Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What a great start to the weekend - I had forgotten I'd an extra two Whistleblowers and two Of Foam and Fury stashed away. :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    What a great start to the weekend - I had forgotten I'd an extra two Whistleblowers and two Of Foam and Fury stashed away. :D

If I drank the 4 of them in 1 sitting I don't think I'd survive the weekend.

Pint of Big Bog Brewing's Quagmire. A 6% abv English style Strong Ale in The Harp, Bangor.
    Local brewery based in Snowdonia who make very good traditional British ales and this is a fine example of the style, especially at £2.40 a pint.

If I drank the 4 of them in 1 sitting I don't think I'd survive the weekend.

Oh don't get me wrong, I won't be having them all tonight but I had a big grin on my face when I found them stashed out of the way behind some bottles of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

ive had quite a few hornets nest by 8 degrees over the last few weeks. Another great beer by them. Annoying that their great beers are only temporary!

• Advertisement

Five Lamps Black Pitts Porter is a great beer. Their lager is entirely average and their red Liberties ale beyond insipid but they've really created a robust offering with this third beer. Lots of dessert-like flavours in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Had a btl of Big Bear Brown Ale by Trouble Brewing last night, it's a style of beer i like a lot and one i plan on brewing myself.

have the Agent Provocateur and Lazy Sunday for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Brown paper bag project Vlad the bakers indian pale lager. Im not a lager fan but was impressed by this. Not overly hopped as the name suggests but nice and smooth and more body than a normal lager.
    Also had their Shmoake gratzer. Oak smoked wheat beer. Very good. Not as smokie as the bamberg beers but maybe more interesting with the rest of the beers qualities. Nearly a sour base to the beer. A very light wheat beer but with great smokie flavour.

Another 2 great beers from them to go with their pleasent porter and their gose which i think are both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Drinking clearance Founders Dirty Bastard at €2 a bottle. Like dark chocolate covered in honey. Great value.

Off topic.
    Come on Belgium!
    3 mins...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

lk67 wrote: »
    Drinking clearance Founders Dirty Bastard at €2 a bottle. Like dark chocolate covered in honey. Great value.

Off topic.
    Come on Belgium!
    3 mins...

Where did you get it for that price?

I'm going to guess Drinkstore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pint of Independence Ale. Brewed for Witherspoon's by Devil's Backbone Brewery's Jason Oliver.

Lovely American Pale Ale.

Was drinking this for £1.49 in Derry last night. Went down a treat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

In Carpenter's Off Licence in Carlow. Clearing all Founder's stock that's just out of date. Got All Day and Centennial too. Not as good value but...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i went a little crazy this week.

going back through my untapped looked like i drank every night of the week :pac:

Monday:
    - Granite Lager (Cloughmore) was forgettable
    - Dark Water Stout (Cloughmore), quite a nice stout.

Tuesday:
    - Rübæus (Founders) too sickly sweet, needed to be more sour i think.
    - Wild Raven (Thornbridge) lovely Black IPA, vastly becoming my favourite style of beer.
    - Camden Pale Ale (Camden) not bad at all.

Wednesday:
    - Hefe (Widmer Brothers Brewing).
    - Anchor IPA (Anchor Brewing Company) wasn't a fan of this at all.

Thursday:
    - Stormy Port (Galway Bay), the latest recipe is very tasty indeed, wrong weather to be enjoying porter though :P.
    - Table Beer (Galway Bay), not a graffiti beater but at €4 a pint you can't say no.

Friday:
    - Irish Red (8 degrees), only thing available at a work night out, and it quickly ran out which shows my next choices.
    - Guinness :ugh:

Saturday:
    - Mine Head (Dungarvan), really nice APA, not sure if this is in the core range now but would love to see it on draught.
    - Shakespeare Oatmeal (Rogue), another not for the weather we've been having beers but good nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Some Brooklyn East India IPA. Selection in the local Supervalu is considerably worse than it was in Superquinn. Still decent, but not as good as the local Molloy's. More expensive than Superquinn too on anything that's not lager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement