Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Picked up:

1 Fuller's London Porter (£2)
    1 Celt Experience Golden (£1.97)
    1 Thornbridge Kipling (£2.26)
    1 Thornbridge Jaipur (£2.39)
    2 Conwy Clogwyn Gold (£2.04)

Not bad for £12.70 (€15.88)!

Will have to pick up some Thornbridge Wild Swan next time, only £2.06 per bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Whistle Blower must be the best Irish IPA on the market, with a nod to 8 Degrees recent efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's no OFAF, for me, but taking into consideration the price, I'll probably be drinking more Whistleblower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

OFAF is a DIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

drumswan wrote: »
    OFAF is a DIPA

And Whistle Blower is listed by the brewery as a "Strong IPA" which for all intents and purposes means it's a DIPA

• Advertisement

Yeah, I mean strength wise, it's obviously somewhere in between a regular and double, but I'm just gonna lump it in with the doubles, same as Centennial and Torpedo.

Also meant to say that the 4 new beers from Trouble that I've tried recently were all fantastic, the Brown, Saison, Rye, and the (D)IPA. Whistle Blower was definitely the best of the bunch though. Really hard to fault them at all.

Any idea if they're gonna keep them on? A year round Whistle Blower would be great.

I still haven't tried the Big Bear Brown but yeah, troubles newer stuff has been fantastic.

I think Graffiti was my favourite so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Finally sampling the porter in sweetmans. May need a few more in the name of research before slayer

• Advertisement

Porterhouse's Hop Head isn't the greatest Pale Ale... but for what works out at €1.50 a bottle with that 4 for 6 deal... it's fantastic value. I know their porters and stouts are great, but for this weather, Hop Head is a gift.

EDIT: Actually, O'Hara's deal in Dunnes or Tesco I read about on the last few pages, means that's probably a better option for a Pale Ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Fyne ales superior IPA on cask in mulligans, lively stuff.

Also had one of those founders raspberry beers, thought it was a lovely tipple in the beer garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Fyne ales superior IPA on cask in mulligans, lively stuff.
    VERY hoppy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Nice bargain in Tesco today. Is it too early to crack one open?

317cw15.jpg

Great price for that.

Tastes like ear wax, burnt rubber and wee though.

No way.

That hop mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Meh, wasn't mad on it

Grayditch wrote: »
    No way.

That hop mixture.

Is total overkill and unsupported by the malt, which is an achievement in itself because the malts are pretty sweet.

It's a perfect example of when something is hoppy for the sake of hoppiness and not taste.

Smells nice, tastes foul.

• Advertisement

I feel that exact way about most Evil Twin beers.

I don't get that with jackhammer, though. Has enough sweetness for me, anyway.

Falco is just like hoppy bud light is my problem with Falco. It's the wateriest IPA I've ever drank.

Only had falco once, a couple of weeks back, thought it was decent. Same feeling about jackhammer.

I probably don't have the most discerning palate though. I'm just glad I can go out these days and have 6 different beers, which I've never tried before and each one will bring something to the table.

Long way from the Guinness or Heineken days.

Long way from the Guinness or Heineken days.

I remember when I thought Pauliner and Eirdinger were exotic rarities to be savoured and extolled.

We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tastes like ear wax, burnt rubber and wee though.

I had it on draught in Shanghai of all places and thought it was great.

Paulaner got me drinking beer in the first place, properly, but I never did, and still don't like Erdinger. Fizzy water. Although, their other ranges like their Dunkle and Krystal etc. are nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Now that you mention 'em, I'm tempted to pick up a few Erdinger Dunkels for the weekend.

Did we not have this discussion re Jack Hammer recently? I used to think it was terrible, but after trying it again thought it was excellent.

As for Falco, I had a bottle of it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If this is the wrong thread then I retire!

O'Hara's IPA on cask in the Porterhouse . Not bad. May help to ease the pain before Anthrax

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Really enjoyed the Jackhammer, really lovely aftertaste to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement