Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah thought it was 500ml when the guy in Martins pointed it out but checked online and it's showing as 330ml on their site. Anyway it's €9 in Martins so I'll blame them.

It anygood?

It's decent but not worth €9 for a bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Student here. As such Ive always sticked to the horrifically stereotypical student ciders such as Bulmers/Orchard Thieves etc but recently tried a bottle of McIvors on the spur of the moment and found it to be lovely stuff.

Can someone recommend other craft ciders that they find are great/better than the mainstream ones?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pretty much all of them! Bulmers and Orchard Thieves aren't really cider.

If you're on a budget, both Lidl and Aldi have some excellent Irish craft ciders for around the €2.50 a bottle mark. My inclination is to go for the dry ones as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Stonewell Medium Dry Cider is the best I have ever tasted. Seriously, I am not a big cider drinker but this stuff is absolutely delicious. It's not cheap though @ €4+ a bottle, but so worth it.

Cronin's Cider is nice too if you like a sweeter cider but I haven't seen it in many places.

Can't go wrong with the Aldi Armagh ciders either, both are priced well.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Finished up work for a week or so hols...a bottle of OFAF to celebrate. Lovely start.

• Advertisement

Stonewell Medium Dry Cider is the best I have ever tasted. Seriously, I am not a big cider drinker but this stuff is absolutely delicious. It's not cheap though @ €4+ a bottle, but so worth it.

Cronin's Cider is nice too if you like a sweeter cider but I haven't seen it in many places.

Can't go wrong with the Aldi Armagh ciders either, both are priced well.

Its a shame there's no real bargains available in the Cider market.

I can easily get 4 IPAs at 5-6% for e2.50 a bottle but the best for the cider is the Armagh from Lidl but its only 4.3%(or 4.5%?).... As nice as Stonewell is, I couldn't justify the off-license prices and the alternatives are all e3.30+.

My max price wise would be 3 for e9 and that would want to be a 6%+ beer(ie Big Banging Francis).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Had Wood keys Anniversary Single-hop summer ale last night. 4 for a tenner in Martins. Twas grand. Tastes like O'Haras Pale ale to me.

Had a few bottles of Boyne Brewhouse Born in a Day APA in Kehoe's last night. It's ok, fairly bitter without much else going on taste wise or on the nose.

From what I remember the last time I was in Kehoe's I thought they had O'Haras. Last night they only had the Smithwicks pale and bottles of the Boyne Brewhouse. Does anyone know when / why they stopped getting O'Haras?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Buxton's Ring Your Mother - bloody delicious!

Edit: On to my second one and loving it. It's the closest thing I've had to DFH 90 Minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Kinnegar White Rabbit, Session White IPA - nice drop, easy drinking and well flavoured.

Trouble/Coisbo Milk Stout - proper robust stout, very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

In no particular order
    1. Innis & Gunn
    2. Kwak
    3. Straffe Hendrik
    4. Trappiste Rochefort 10
    5. St Bernardus Abt 12

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Buxton's Ring Your Mother - bloody delicious!

Edit: On to my second one and loving it. It's the closest thing I've had to DFH 90 Minute.

Had them both.
    Two totally different beer styles and different beers.
    In my opinion apples and oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Currently drinking a Kinnegar white rabbit....thoughts people? It's a little bit meh to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Kinnegar White Rabbit, Session White IPA - nice drop, easy drinking and well flavoured.

Trouble/Coisbo Milk Stout - proper robust stout, very nice.

Finally got my hands on a few bottles of the Milk Stout today looking forward to one later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Have moved onto Blacks Overkill IPA ...now that's a nice touch, smooth as velvet and at 8.5% you could be in trouble after a few bottles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Currently drinking a Kinnegar white rabbit....thoughts people? It's a little bit meh to my mind.

Had it on tap in the back page after a trouble session IPA who's name escapes me and a lagunitas IPA and ended up sticking with the white rabbit for the night. Was very happy with it

I finally got to a Lidl that had stock , of Crafty Brewing IPA picked up four bottles for later, tenner for four bottles of 6% beer is decent, especially given the reviews so far.

If it's any way close to Francis I'll be happy.

I finally got to a Lidl that had stock , of Crafty Brewing IPA picked up four bottles for later, tenner for four bottles of 6% beer is decent, especially given the reviews so far.

I've only ever seen the red which is fairly average but the IPA has better reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hoptimum is back and I'm happy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its pretty close. Its also in extremely short supply locally to me. Went to get some today and they had none so I ended up buying a bottle of prosecco instead and two glasses in I think I'm starting to turn in to Floyd in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

First time poster here. Tonight I'm drinking Lagunitas a little sumpin' sumpin' ale. Had one last night too. Tasty .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

First time poster here. Tonight I'm drinking Lagunitas a little sumpin' sumpin' ale. Had one last night too. Tasty .

Excellent beverage. Anything lagunitas is gold IMO.

Having a founders imperial stout, excellent aroma, bitter coffee taste and you get a sense of the alcohol with the weighty mouthfeel. Really nice example.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its pretty close. Its also in extremely short supply locally to me. Went to get some today and they had none so I ended up buying a bottle of prosecco instead and two glasses in I think I'm starting to turn in to Floyd in the kitchen.

Different beast to Francis imo, it's more of a bitter circa 2007 IPA than a modern hop bomb.

Nice biscuity backbone alright and much more bitter on the finish than Francis. Not as oniony either.

Decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

4qfz1f.jpg

Brewdog Elvis Juice...Amazing15406149607_532e2bf934_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Lidl have really upped their game all of sudden, fine selection of crafts and Belgians this evening,very good prices as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Had a few pints of Rebel Red last night...yum yum...not normally a Red Ale fan...but that stuff is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Yeastie Boys - Gunnamatta. Unusual earl grey flavoured IPA. Quite refreshing and dry but a bit too much tea in my opinion.
    Flying dog - snake dog. Average enough IPA. Nice but of maltiness but lacked the hops I expected.
    Northern - monk new world ipa. Amazing IPA that I've been going back to a lot lately. Great hoppiness and not too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Fourpure Burnt Ends Smoked Porter

On tap in The Beer Market. Dominated by the smokey note. Medium bodied but it balances pretty well without the smoky flavour being too overwhelming. Had a few and the more I had the more I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Different beast to Francis imo, it's more of a bitter circa 2007 IPA than a modern hop bomb.

Nice biscuity backbone alright and much more bitter on the finish than Francis. Not as oniony either.

Decent.

I just had my first bottle of the Crafty Brewing IPA last night and didn't find it all that bitter, definite touch of sweetness to it. Certainly didn't have the astringency of Grafters IPA. I thought they'd be the same beer in different bottles but found reasonabe difference myself.

Both decent beers mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I had 8 Degree's barley wine last night, it was poor. A lot of caramel, some bitterness but mostly alcohol. My first and last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement