Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tasted something called Roundstone Irish Ale today, anyone have any idea where the hell this comes from? My gut feeling would be it's brewed by the likes of Bulmer's/C&C, due to the flashy promo material in the pub, and the lack of info otherwise, but IDK.

Tasted pretty good anyway, nice solid session ale. If it's widely distributed and reasonably priced (as it was today) I'd consider it a solid option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's Bulmers

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brewdog Jet Black Heart is a bit of a disappointment I have to say. It's an oatmeal milk stout, and even though it's only 4.7%, it's a bit thin and watery. It also lacks a lot of the sweetness you'd normally associate with a milk stout, although there is a very pleasant chocolate aroma from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Oharas IPA....good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Metalman Zwickel (can). Nice, but reminds me a little of my homebrew days - a little bit rough around the edges and funky, but in a good way. Must make more homebrew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

bit of a mixed bag recently.
    Had a few lovely bottles of McGargles - Big Bangin Francis and not sure if they changed the recipe for the 500ml bottles or was it just fresher, but it was delicious.
    So on the back of that, I picked up 4 of the Cousin Rosie Pale Ales.......so there are 3 bottles left for visitors :-)
    The OH, got the McGargles Trader Tommy cider...4 for tenner, i had a sample and thought it was ok, not as sickly sweet as some of the other ciders out there... Did notice its only bottled by them...

Founders - KBS
    Lot of hype about this....but it lived up to it. really nice beer and one of the best I've ever had, unfortunately at that price it will be a once or twice a year treat.

A few bottles of Franziskaner from Lidl....great beer at a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Zaph wrote: »
    Brewdog Jet Black Heart is a bit of a disappointment I have to say. It's an oatmeal milk stout, and even though it's only 4.7%, it's a bit thin and watery. It also lacks a lot of the sweetness you'd normally associate with a milk stout, although there is a very pleasant chocolate aroma from it.

Finally someone who thought the same as me. I thought it was like drinking water, but when I said it to a few others they looked at me like I had two heads

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

Will be hitting the Killarney Beer Fest next weekend, any beer specifically I should be looking out for? Big fan of the grapefruity IPA's. I'd love to be able to taste them all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Oatmeal and coffee stout. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Brown Paper Bag Project / Kompaan Black Coffee IPA - Its lovely. Strong hop taste upfront with a lingering espresso aftertaste. Was skeptical about how coffee would work with an IPA but this is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Finally someone who thought the same as me. I thought it was like drinking water, but when I said it to a few others they looked at me like I had two heads

Feel the exact same about Galway bay's Buried At Sea. Far too weak imo

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Trond wrote: »

Personally I think that Buried at Sea is a lovely rich, smooth stout that's light years ahead of Jet Black Heart. But sure if we were all the same they'd only have to brew a single beer to suit everyone, and where would the fun be in that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Trond wrote: »

JBH and BAT are both amazing, I'm pointing the finger of blame at you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

YellowBelly The Wexican. It starts out ok but there is a bit too much chilli as you get into it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

matrim wrote: »
    YellowBelly The Wexican. It starts out ok but there is a bit too much chilli as you get into it

Just had the same and really enjoyed the amount of chilli in it. Its a lot hotter than any other chilli porter I've had before though - if you're not a fan of heat it might not appeal so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

matrim wrote: »

I love chilli as food and don't mind it in beer but you are right it's a big hit. I shared a bottled and struggled to finish my half. Don't think I could do a full bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Funnily enough I got the opposite effect. Nice aroma and hit at the start, but by the time I finished it I'd forgotten it was a chilli porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Funnily enough I got the opposite effect. Nice aroma and hit at the start, but by the time I finished it I'd forgotten it was a chilli porter.

I had one last night and I completely agree. Got it at the start and then it turned into more of a regular porter as I got used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Mosaic promise and beneath the brambles yesterday in ATG. Must get myself some mosaic hops, delicious beer.

Beneath the brambles was v good, would be a great beer for a summers day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

stuchyg wrote: »
    Mosaic promise and beneath the brambles yesterday in ATG. Must get myself some mosaic hops, delicious beer.
    The new Mosaic IPA by Black's is superb as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

irish_goat wrote: »
    Craft beer available!
    http://www.lordchambray.com.mt/

saw these on a tour and thought they were a English beer trying to pass off as a craft beer but they were like €5 a bottle in the shop so I said I'd wait to check out their stockists and they're €5 a bottle there too :eek:

I've just picked them up in the airport (along with a bottle of hibiki harmony) and will try them at home at least they'll get a fairer tasting at home whereas here anything cold fizzy and alcoholic is amazing in the heat :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Some homebrew for the match, and then a box-set of Rochefort - a 6, 2 8s and a 10

I got them in Brusselsa few weeks ago, going to drink a 6 and 8 this evening then age the other 8 and 10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Spotted Aspalls cider on draught last night, in McGinns pub, Woodquay, Galway.

I have had it before in NI, it seems dry, not sweet.

In shops in RoI it always seemed too dear, compared to deals in NI.

At a fiver a pint, I had several.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have a bottle of 3 Fonteinen Doesjel lined up for tonight.
    Having a pint of NHC GB AJ Cider now.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Blacks rocketship x 1, high viz x 1 and a can of elvis juice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Elvis Juice and Brugges Zot Dubbel tonight. Elvis Juice is like Lilt on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Back in Ireland having a Brú darkside IPA. Tastes good but awful nose on it. I can't quite place it. Odd for a American style IPA.

Gn as Dingle Pale ale. It's a very tasty beer. Not too hoppy but just right. Both beers I've had from them are really good.

Plus 4 for 10 makes it a little sweeter too.

Gn as Dingle Pale ale. It's a very tasty beer. Not too hoppy but just right. Both beers I've had from them are really good.

Plus 4 for 10 makes it a little sweeter too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Buxton Anglo Belgian IPA, absolutely cracking beer. The yeast and smoothness of a Belgian beer with the complexity of an Ipa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement