Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Having an 8 Degrees IPA evening.

Sipping on a Big River atm, have a Full Irish, a Nailed It and a Hurricane sitting in the fridge waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

Had a few pints of the Hurricane IPA back in Dingle last weekend. Really enjoyed it, could be one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Founders mosaic promise.
    Single hop beer, I think it might even be a SMaSH beer with golden promise. Lovely beer.

Ruthless rye next, not bad but I remember it being different. Lacks some hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Harvey's Sussex bitter. When in Brighton and all that. Also the other options are Fosters and Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A wonderful pint of Yellowbelly pale ale in Simon Lamberts.

• Advertisement

Having an, eh, 'robust' rye saison in brewdog. Won't have another!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm breaking the rules tonight. I've had half a bottle of Finca La Florencia malbec (2015), and I'll probabky crack into another half soon. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

For later: finally got some O'Haras Imperial Stout, some Siren Broken Dream and my last bottle of 8 Degrees Double Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

2 runs tomorrow so up early, Fierce Mild from yellowbelly will do the job, a lot of flavour and only 3.1%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Some Brewdog Elvis Juice tonight - enjoying it so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

fjon wrote: »
    Anyone spot any KBS still available around Dublin?

Redmonds of Ranelagh had some today.

To end the night, a few large bottles of Guinness off the shelf.

Had a few enjoyable pints of Rollover from Whiplash. Fantastic session IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had Owl Day Pale Stout from Trouble Brewing. Didn't work for me, couldn't decide what it want to be and tastes like neither a stout nor an pale ale.
    Next was Change of the Guard, was nice at the start, plenty of citrus and pine but just felt heavy as it went on. Tasted all of it's 11.5%. Didn't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

After opening my second bottle of Carrig Brewing's Poachers Pale Ale. 3 for €9 in Supervalu at the moment. Big fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Sunset IPA by Naparbier, amazing session beer if you like white IPAs. It's really a milder version of alien claw.
    Apparently Naparbier is in danger of being pulled from Ireland because their stuff isn't shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Sunset IPA by Naparbier, amazing session beer if you like white IPAs. It's really a milder version of alien claw.
    Apparently Naparbier is in danger of being pulled from Ireland because their stuff isn't shifting.
    Had a bottle the other night. Very nice it was too. They were selling off the various Naparbiers for €2 a bottle in my local offie, in the end-of-life basket (usually means it won't be back). When you've got a wide range of Irish craft beers to choose from, selling Spanish craft beers into this market is always going to be tough, particularly as Spain doesn't really have a history/reputation for craft beer, and the product will get tarr'ed with other non-craft imported beers from that country. I likely wouldn't have bought any, if it were not in the bargain bin. Will likely buy some in future, but if they want to succeed in this country, they'll have to do a lot of promotion, or just target the specialty beer shops. It's a little like Nøgne. I used to buy the occasional bottle, as it represented a change from the finite range of Irish craft beers some years ago, but nowadays, I wouldn't consider paying €6 for one of their beers, when there are many other innovative Irish/European/US beers at lower price-points.

On the branding front, I guess I've bought into that whole 'can't be good unless it's in a dark brown glass bottle murky enough so you can't see the contents vibe'.
    beer_331808.jpg
    If you didn't notice the skull (and I didn't), it speaks of 'light refreshing larger'. I'm a slave to the marketing machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Pity if they do get discontinued because I've never had a bad beer by them. Alien Claw is the best Belgian IPA I've had and Aker IPA is top class as well. Really hope they stay in Ireland but I'll be buying up the remaining stocks in my offie just in case.
    Another quality Spanish brewery is Edge, hope they don't go the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Siren Vanilla Weisse is pretty good, a great beer for a warm day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just noticed that Aldi have a Session Pale Ale branded O'Shea's from O'Hara's in Carlow. I've picked up a couple of bottles but haven't tasted yet. Just wondering why they've introduced this when the O'Shea's Pale Ale at 4.3% is already pretty much a session pale ale. Maybe they're going to revamp the line up? In my opinion the O'Shea's range is the best cheap craft beer available here at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Rowlock IPA from Clearsky Brewery thought it was more an English styled IPA then an American hoppy IPA.

Wasn't bad and was very crisp which was good in the warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Just noticed that Aldi have a Session Pale Ale branded O'Shea's from O'Hara's in Carlow.

Has anyone tried this, or the O'Shea's witbier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

O'Haras anniversary imperial stout last night.

Very very nice texture to it. Lovely velvety smooth mouthfeel with decent body. The alcohol wasn't overly strong upfront but left a lovely warmth in the aftertaste. Lovely chocolate and vanilla tones with a nutty caramel taste coming from it too. Decent value at 5.80.

Sipping a postcard brewing, silicon docks strong IPA. Nice hoppy profile to it with a lot of grassy dry notes. a dark IPA, with quite a lot of what I would call a malty biscuity taste but someone with better beer vocabulary may be able to correct that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

A couple bottles of Weihenstephaner Vitus on the way for the weekend. Good times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Only saw now that Guinness are launching a "Nitro IPA".

Hmmmm. Interesting to see how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's bleedin horrible. I had it in the Open Gate a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd have put my money on that alright. I'm still going to give it a go, for the same reasons I went to see Batman vs Superman. Sometimes the curiosity gets the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Grayditch wrote:
    Only saw now that Guinness are launching a "Nitro IPA".

The can has a "nitro widget"!! Must be good :-D looks like a stronger version of breo which i admittedly liked but in fairness it was the 90s :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

breo was a Wit!

• Advertisement

I remember drinking Breo underage. Which probably makes those who weren't feel rather old!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement