Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Be strange if it was that Long Trail brewing, are they anywhere else in the country?

It's probably a re-badged stout from an Irish brewer being sold as a "house beer". For example, The Bachelor Inn just west of O'Connell Bridge on Bachelor's Walk sells a nitro stout, the name of which escapes me.

I asked the bar man who makes it, and he told me Murphy's.

The tap is right beside the Murphy's Red tap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Beamish gets churned out as the house stout a lot as well. It's cheaper to buy as Heineken intend it to be sold as a low cost stout option but if you rebadge it you can put the "craft tax" on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

irish_goat wrote: »
    Beamish gets churned out as the house stout a lot as well. It's cheaper to buy as Heineken intend it to be sold as a low cost stout option but if you rebadge it you can put the "craft tax" on it.

yeah, the barman hadn't a clue really. Here's the exchange;

BC : Who makes your stout?
    BM : A man in a long coat...in a dark room
    BC : ...
    BM : erm...yeah, Murphy's....I think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's probably a re-badged stout from an Irish brewer being sold as a "house beer".
    Could be. The O'Briens name was right, would there be a brewery in Kildare? that name is in my mind too.

It was quite expensive, maybe 5.20 or 5.50 vs I think 4.20 for guinness.

I also remember the tap said it was 4.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anywhere with a random named stout I assume to be from Heineken at this stage unless they say otherwise - one local pub emphasises that its Rye River that makes their own-brander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone try Roundstone Smooth Ale (Bulmers)? I got a sample the other day and found it to be totally tasteless, almost like water. I had been drinking gin before it though so maybe my palate hadn't readjusted.

Anyone try Roundstone Smooth Ale (Bulmers)? I got a sample the other day and found it to be totally tasteless, almost like water. I had been drinking gin before it though so maybe my palate hadn't readjusted.

It's popped up in a pub in Derry that only stocks C&C products/beers they import. I imagine it's their alternative to Smithwicks so I'm guessing your palate probably wasn't too far off. They also have an "Italian lager" out as well but the name escapes me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    They also have an "Italian lager" out as well but the name escapes me.
    Menabrea? Made with "brewer’s maize", apparently. It seems the people who distribute Tennent's, Stella, Beck's, Staropramen, Clonmel 1650, Heverlee, Corona and Norn Iron's Budweiser looked at the portfolio and "Lads, we really need another lager in here."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Er Boquerón - La Socarrada Cerve : beer made with sea water.

It's a very bland blonde beer with a bit if malt. I let the beer warm up. Big and got a bit of salt but nothing too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

flas wrote: »
    Anybody have the new st.mels seasonal yet? Spring bock?haven't got my hands on it yet but their beers have been solid up until now!

Only mention of it I found in the thread had a bottle this evening really liked it lot of flavour really surprised how smoky it was, nearly as smoky as some schlenkerla beers I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Where are you?

Was back home in the wild west..

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

flas wrote:
    Anybody have the new st.mels seasonal yet? Spring bock?haven't got my hands on it yet but their beers have been solid up until now!.

Had Spring Bock a couple of weeks ago.
    Thought it was really good, but if memory serves me right it was about €4.40 in my local offie, so unless I can find it cheaper somewhere else, it could be the only bottle I have of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I may be lynched for this but I finally opened my bottle of 200 fathoms.
    Meh.
    To be fair, barrel aged imperial stouts/porters aren't really my thing but this one didn't stand out as a particularly special example of the style. Just big, heavy and bitter to my taste.

Maybe a slightly different style but I adore Siren's Bones of a Sailor Pt. III

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a sheep stealer last night, forgot it was bottle conditioned so got a bit of a mix in the glass but overall I thought it was quite nice, will have to let it settle and pour more carefully but it shows promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had a sheep stealer last night, forgot it was bottle conditioned so got a bit of a mix in the glass but overall I thought it was quite nice, will have to let it settle and pour more carefully but it shows promise.

Get that yeast into ye, good source of vitamin D.

They even sell it in health food shops.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=86

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    good source of vitamin D.
    Vitamin B, and not really. The alcohol means you wee it out before you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Meh.
    To be fair, barrel aged imperial stouts/porters aren't really my thing but this one didn't stand out as a particularly special example of the style. Just big, heavy and bitter to my taste.

I didn't like it much/at all either. We can hide in a corner from the empty bottles being thrown at us...

I'll have Buried at Sea any day so I've no problem with GBB's stouts, but 200 Fathoms looked better in the bottle with the wax on it than the taste was (if that makes any sense)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

L1011 wrote: »
    I didn't like it much/at all either. We can hide in a corner from the empty bottles being thrown at us...

I'll have Buried at Sea any day so I've no problem with GBB's stouts, but 200 Fathoms looked better in the bottle with the wax on it than the taste was (if that makes any sense)

Mutton dressed as lamb if you will (although nothing to do with age in this context).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mutton dressed as lamb if you will (although nothing to do with age in this context).

That idiom doesn't work at all in this context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Picked up these bad boys today in the local wine center. Never had any of then so don't know what to expect at all.

Got the O harras milk scout (sorry for spellings) as people here have been saying it's good and it better be lol

Anyone have any ideas where I would get good beer glasses for cheap ?. As I have a perrni pint glass and musty been using a large red wine glass for my beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

You might find the st. bernardus tough to drink if you haven't had that style before. Great beer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

jsa112 wrote: »
    You might find the st. bernardus tough to drink if you haven't had that style before. Great beer though.

Would it be like the Delirium beers ?. As I have had them quite a few times and love them a lot. But so hard to get in a pub.

Anyone have any ideas where I would get good beer glasses for cheap ?. As I have a perrni pint glass and musty been using a large red wine glass for my beer.

If you ask nicely in a craft beer pub they might give you a few. They tend to get beer glasses in and then stop selling the beer so the glass will then sit on a shelf somewhere. A few euros in the tip jar doesn't hurt either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

L1011 wrote: »

Agreed, it did nothing for me either. Different strokes for different folks. I too think bones of a sailor III is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Got the O harras milk scout (sorry for spellings) as people here have been saying it's good and it better be lol

Anybody any suggestions as to where O'Hara's Milk Stout Lublin to Dublin can be purchased? Draught or bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Meh.

It's a good job you cook so well beer or you would be dead to me.

:pac:

I was thinking about this the other day how much I would be willing to pay for a bottle if I had none left. I think you could squeeze 50 quid out of me for a bottle.

Passenger wrote: »
    Anybody any suggestions as to where O'Hara's Milk Stout Lublin to Dublin can be purchased? Draught or bottle.

Martins off license fairview.
    Baggot wines

They at least got stock, not sure if it's still available give them a bell before hand

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

limnam wrote: »
    I was thinking about this the other day how much I would be willing to pay for a bottle if I had none left. I think you could squeeze 50 quid out of me for a bottle.

I have 3 bottles of the stuff hidden away with 3 bottles of Westvleteren XII. :P

An File wrote: »
    I have 3 bottles of the stuff hidden away with 3 bottles of Westvleteren XII. :P

I have the best part of a case of KBS. Maybe we can do business ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

snowblind wrote: »
    DirtWolf is a testament to hops fading, at three months old the bottles that are here are a shadow of when I had fresh ones near their source.

Radikale Hopster was gross. At least it wasn't a sweet mess, but it was a mess in every other way.

The best beers I've had recently have been 8 Degrees hoppy beers and Prairie Bomb!s. Getting hoppy beers from far away doesn't make any sense anymore, but we have some messy ones locally too. Thank god someone is doing it right :P

The victory beers have a TWO YEAR BB date so all the ones we got in ireland are 15months old! Terrible so they are!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement