Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

slayerking wrote: »
    It's a lovely beer but I wouldn't call €3.69 for an Irish beer in a super market a bargain.

When there's craft beer priced similarly or slightly less and is very meh it's a bargain in my opinion.

Just back from supervalu there and picked up a founders rubaeus and some centennial ipa. 4 for 10 Euro on the centennial or 2.48 a can each. Thanks supervalu but I'll keep the 8 cent.
    On a side note I've a problem. I've over 30 bottles of beer rated over 90 (most 99/100) on ratebeer and i felt I had to go to the off licence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sam Adams Rebel IPA nice IPA with a nice pine finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Which stout to sip for the Mcgregor fight?

uy19lumh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

James Brown Chocolate Orange Stout.

This is the best Irish Stout I've had this year. I've only had this one, but it's definitely the best one.

RasTa wrote: »

uy19lumh.jpg

They're all 10/10 stouts so it's 6 of one. Nice dilemma though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had a four provinces piper IPA the other night, fantastic flavour also loved the artwork on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Surprised that any SuperValu would have Kinnegar Black Bucket as opposed to Rust Bucket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

rameire wrote: »
    Got me a sierra nevada northern hemisphere wet hop ipa. 2014. 1 Pint bottle.
    Jesus its good stuff.
    Was i mugged at 8.49 though.

354831.jpg

Is that from an old batch? You'd expect the wet hop to be 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a radikale dubbel. Nicer than the Hopster and a decent effort with some nice spice but a bit sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Surprised that any SuperValu would have Kinnegar Black Bucket as opposed to Rust Bucket!

The one in Celbridge had rust bucket until about two weeks ago, then all of a sudden about 30 bottles of black bucket appeared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

6 months out of date full sail!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

-=al=- wrote: »
    6 months out of date full sail!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

limnam wrote: »
    Brooklyn Brewery - Dark Chocolate Stout

After reading what beernut had said about it in this post I was really looking forward to it as if it came anywhere near 200 fathoms I was going to be in for a treat.

Don't get me wrong, it's not awful. But I was slightly disappointed. It has the perfect body, nice mouth feel, bit of warmth, perfect amount of alcohol for me but all the flavors were lack luster, the stout profile, the roastyness, the chocolate arrived in just a dry sourness that never got balanced out. No vanilla, caramel,smoke or espresso as i would have expected and the finish vanished very quickly. When I read the reviews I'm left scratching my head wondering what they or I was drinking completely different drinks

I feel guilty. I went into matsons in grange, cork on the way home. Doing a browse to check out anything interesting and the Brooklyn chocolate stout was 3 for 6 Euro. It was too good an offer. 200 fathoms was 7.50 for 500 mls (with 1 Euro off) and white hag imperial (which ive tasted and absolutely love) is 4 Euro odd. I haven't tasted it yet so even at that price may be a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ipso wrote: »
    Is that from an old batch? You'd expect the wet hop to be 2015.

Would the southern not be 2015 but the northern still not be 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I love when a nice beer is mistakenly priced! >:)

And the full sail was good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

RasTa wrote: »

200 Fathoms. Just in case it goes on a bit longer than a KBS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Heineken whilst listening to people talk about this new craft cider called orchard thieves.. Le sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

8 Degrees - Full Irish.

Had it in a bottle recently but managed to try a glass on tap and it was a different drink, loved it and can fully understand why it was rated so highly by John and the lads from Beoir.

O'Haras Milk Stout.

This is getting closer to what I'd like in a Milk Stout. Buried at Sea had no real body and too low alcohol for me. O'Hara's has a more beefy one still veering on a little thin but with a bit more alcohol it's almost there, A nice gentle sweetness too that I really enjoyed.

Mikeller Milk Stout.

If the alc was upped a tad on this it would be perfection. Lovely strong body it's bitter it's sweet it's fruity it's coffee it's roasty it's magic. Like a really nice black coffee that someone dipped cotton candy into.:pac:

Metalman - Windjammer cask

Really enjoyed this fruits just "hopping" out of the glass and on cask it was superb. If I didn't have Frames tickets, I could have drank this all night and been very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A pint of carling cider .. It is not as refreshing as they claim. Might treat myself to a fosters next..

I imagine this is what they call purgotary..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

A pint of carling cider .. It is not as refreshing as they claim. Might treat myself to a fosters next..

I imagine this is what they call purgotary..

Where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

lol, I was in a pub run by my mother's cousin, in Valleymount, near Blessington.

Heino and Guinness on tap, lucky to see about 8 bottles of Macardles in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

White Hag Oatmeal Chocolate Stout.

Once again, with this brewery. Good taste. Too flat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Victory hop devil - was alright but wouldn't buy again.

Gbb voyager U S . I liked this but the body was a bit thin.

orval - really liked this but a bit over carbed

Road trip - had a growler of this. Really enjoyable, might have preferred it in bottles though, is that weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Victory hop devil - was alright but wouldn't buy again.

Gbb voyager U S . I liked this but the body was a bit thin.

orval - really liked this but a bit over carbed

Road trip - had a growler of this. Really enjoyable, might have preferred it in bottles though, is that weird?

Nope I did too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Grayditch wrote: »

I have found pretty much every beer I've had of theirs under-carbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Grayditch wrote: »

Strangely enough when I had this I found it a bit over carbonated. I have another bottle that I haven't gotten around to trying yet to see if it was just a one off.

I met the brewer recently and happened to mention it to him as we were chatting and he was surprised because he said their bottling equipment doesn't allow them to add much carbonation to a bottle and even then they are careful about how much they carb their beers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

BaZmO* wrote: »
    James Brown Chocolate Orange Stout.

This is the best Irish Stout I've had this year. I've only had this one, but it's definitely the best one.
    Did you taste any Orange in it? I found it OK (at best) as a stout but it certainly had no Orange in it and I have tasted better Irish Stouts in recent times
    matrim wrote: »
    Having a radikale dubbel. Nicer than the Hopster and a decent effort with some nice spice but a bit sweet
    I enjoyed it, flavour profile changes alot with the temp but all round a nice one.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Did you taste any Orange in it? I found it OK (at best) as a stout but it certainly had no Orange in it and I have tasted better Irish Stouts in recent times
    I could get a slight citrus sourness/tartness on the palate but I only really noticed it because I was looking for it.

I was being facetious about it being the best Irish stout due to all the previous comments about it winning best in show recently. Obviously I was being too subtle with my comment. I just thought it was an ok beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Galway Bay's Voyager and O'Hara's Lublin to Dublin. Both lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Had a pint of O'Briens stout in the ferryman in dublin city. Never heard of it before, was grand, a nitro stout.

I think it was this stuff, though it says it's "retired". I would have thought it was Irish made too.
    Tom O'Brien's Stout

Tom O'Brien's Stout is among the varied and generally good beers produced by Vermont's Long Trail Brewing Co. Although its creator might have been better off leaving his picture off of the label, O'Brien's is, overall, an enjoyable and authentic beer.

O'Brien's is dark brown and opaque, but not quite black. It's foam is lighter than that of most stouts and the aroma is malty and burnt but crisp and fresh. The palate is typical of an Irish stout, with the unmistakable taste of deeply roasted malt and unmalted barley mixing with the dry, bitter taste of hops. O'Brien's is routine in some respects but stands out in feel and finish. For such a dark and imposing beer, O'Brien's is incredibly light-bodied and remarkably quenching. The finish, lasting, dry and moderately bitter, is perfect for an Irish stout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement