Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah love it, although trouble's chocolate cherry is the nicest one I've had, might have being the cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Just letting people know Blackbird in rathmines have Power of the Voodoo and Skull king cans for sale. €8.50 each...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I actually suspect a few things

1. it wasn't Sorachi Ace coming from the tap, but Barry served me and we had a chat about old times, so there's no way he'd do that knowingly.

2. It was an old (ish) keg, with beer in the line, and the flavour had disappeared.

3. I'm not able to discern the SA flavours from the usual hop profile of O'Hara's Pale (it was definitely O'Hara's, their beers have an underlying flavour profile).

4. the flavour profile of SA is not as "different" as is being stated. I could detect no lemongrass (a flavour I cannot stand by the way), nor bubblegum sweetness.

Hmmm... Interesting...

1. If Barry hadn't hooked up the keg or tasted it then maybe it was the wrong keg? The bar men in my experience there can be a little unknowledgeable...

2. Its not that old so could it dissappear that quick? Could it have had a remnant of another beer in the line?

3. I don't think you could miss the unique flavour of SA unless your palate was severely compromised. It's happened to me...

4. I didn't get lemongrass but I did get a kind of tropical fruit bubble gum plus barley sugar sweetness.
    But that's just my palate of course.
    jsa112 wrote: »
    I didn't think the sorachi ace was particularly coming through in the O'Haras one. Got it more with the aroma from what I can remember.

Maybe some people ARE more attuned to SA? Like with off flavours?

But I do think that tasting any beer once is perhaps not a good thing for most of us, in so far as forming an opinion of it. The flavours we pick up are affected by so many factors. Mood, diet, location.... whatever.

I think that's especially true of beers we perceive not to like.

That's not excusing poorly made beers btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd just been for an Italian, nothing very strong flavour wise, glass of white wine.

It was my first beer of the evening, and I got none of those flavours associated. Going to have to get a bottle somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Having a Sierra Nevada blindfold black IPA.

If I did a blind taste test. Id say this was a porter. Smells of roasted malts, mild taste of hops but the taste is mostly roasted malt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭toffeeshel

The perks of the job- drinking a Belgian Petrus Aged Pale from a box of Petrus samples. Wonderful, sour, fruity and hiding its 7.3%. Really really good

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had a delirium red, very sweet, fruity, sugary. Then a couple blackwater gin and tonics. Haven't had a load of gins but this was probably my favourite (Bombay sapphire, Gordon's, beefeater, cork dry gin, Hendricks being the competition (Hendricks the only real competition))

Big Thursday night

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Power of voodoo triple ipa collaboration brew betwen beavertown and boneyard

Insane flavour and aroma. One of the best beers i had this year along with heavy water and alchemist

In my fridge skullking also from beavertown.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Rumun wrote: »
    Power of voodoo triple ipa collaboration brew betwen beavertown and boneyard

Insane flavour and aroma. One of the best beers i had this year along with heavy water and alchemist

In my fridge skullking also from beavertown.

Where did you get it? Im jealous, Boneyard are outstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was in a bar with a surreal range of taps and ended up on Cute Hoor.

It's possibly the worst pint I've had in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

DirtWolf is a testament to hops fading, at three months old the bottles that are here are a shadow of when I had fresh ones near their source.

Radikale Hopster was gross. At least it wasn't a sweet mess, but it was a mess in every other way.

The best beers I've had recently have been 8 Degrees hoppy beers and Prairie Bomb!s. Getting hoppy beers from far away doesn't make any sense anymore, but we have some messy ones locally too. Thank god someone is doing it right :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

snowblind wrote: »
    Radikale Hopster was gross. At least it wasn't a sweet mess, but it was a mess in every other way.

Same here, I heard all these great things about it and it was a world of unpleasantness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Cant check it in work, do drinkstore sell Kinnegar's Black IPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Trond wrote: »
    Cant check it in work, do drinkstore sell Kinnegar's Black IPA?

Are you thinking of Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA? I'm open to correction, but I don't think Kinnegar do a Black IPA?

DS have the Kinsale Black IPA in stock according to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA? I'm open to correction, but I don't think Kinnegar do a Black IPA?

Black Bucket?

Im sure it was a Kinnegar beer. I had it on tap in the Black Sheep Bar on Capel St. I could be wrong as I did have a good few of them :)

Black Rye PA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Black Bucket?

:o Yes, you're right. I've even tried it too. My bad.

It's not available on DS though.

:o Yes, you're right. I've even tried it too. My bad.

It's not available on DS though.

Cheers gents that's the one.

I'll try a couple of the better off licences I frequent! (Sweeneys or McHughs)

I thought it was a lovely beer, on tap anyway!

McHughs
    *Special Edition. Limited availability. Please call store*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

They had Rustbucket in O'Brien's Citywest last weekend, maybe try their online site.

Thank you kindly! :D great price as well imo

If you do head into the shop, be sure to pick up the McHugh's/Kinnegar beer Road Trip, it's a great IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

SuperValu do Black Bucket (mine does anyhow). Think it's €3.69.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Blackbird in rathmines but it is all gone now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭rameire

Got me a sierra nevada northern hemisphere wet hop ipa. 2014. 1 Pint bottle.
    Jesus its good stuff.
    Was i mugged at 8.49 though.

354831.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

That's always been sold around that price afaik. Although the fact that it is so old may warrant discussion on being mugged.

They do a southern harvest version which is better I think. Always get the two mixed up, but one of them is better and rather lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

SuperValu do Black Bucket (mine does anyhow). Think it's €3.69.

Mine does as well, it's a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Had a couple of pints of Beamish there last week. Creamy goodness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Mine does as well, it's a bargain at that price.

It's a lovely beer but I wouldn't call €3.69 for an Irish beer in a super market a bargain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement