Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nighttimenetwork Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think structure is what Ray hates about podcasting though, he had an interesting discussion about it on one. And I like the free-form stuff, for them at least. I dunno if I'd follow through with his mantra that all podcasts should follow that principle, I think each individual should look to produce the best format that suits them, but this works because they're all genuine mates and it comes across (which is a talent in itself; too often genuine mates can sound fake once a mic is switched on). They have that natural banter so structuring it would make it feel a bit forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

leggo wrote: »
    I think structure is what Ray hates about podcasting though, he had an interesting discussion about it on one. And I like the free-form stuff, for them at least. I dunno if I'd follow through with his mantra that all podcasts should follow that principle, I think each individual should look to produce the best format that suits them, but this works because they're all genuine mates and it comes across (which is a talent in itself; too often genuine mates can sound fake once a mic is switched on). They have that natural banter so structuring it would make it feel a bit forced.

You're probably right, I'm sure thats why Ray started the podcast, to get away from the structured format of the breakfast show. I do like their ramblings, what I should have said though, was that sometimes it just feels like they're getting going and the podcast is over, I was wondering would a structure streamline the funny into coming along quicker, but then again the ****e talk can be hilarious. I'm sure it'll find a natural groove especially after another few podcasts, once the boys are fully used to the girls not being there.

On another note, will the fact the KC show is finishing up mean that Ann can make a re-appearance from time to time? I think Shauna is involved with the PR side of the station so can see why they wouldn't want her doing it, not that I agree with it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

The girls are vital to their podcast in my opinion, ray and JP don't bounce off All like they do with Ann. She's one in a million, Shauna one in a hundred thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,563 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I agree that Ann and Shauna(a legend of a girl and she followed me on twitter) were becoming a huge part of the podcast, but hopefully Deeno won't be a once off thing. She seemed at ease with the three lads in her first appearance, which was good.

Id love Phil to be involved though.

Me too. Would love to see Deeno, Phil and even Nordy Eoghan involved, but could see 98 having an issue then if it was basically the whole breakfast crew. I'm just basing that off the fact that Today FM had an issue with Ann and Shauna doing it though, maybe 98 aren't as strict, but going on what Ray has said in the past I'd say they are.

• Advertisement

Me too. Would love to see Deeno, Phil and even Nordy Eoghan involved, but could see 98 having an issue then if it was basically the whole breakfast crew. I'm just basing that off the fact that Today FM had an issue with Ann and Shauna doing it though, maybe 98 aren't as strict, but going on what Ray has said in the past I'd say they are.

Pure speculation, but Ray would have more clout in 98 so could likely push it through if he wanted them involved and they wanted it . I'd say if Phil and Deeno don't get involved it'd be more of a personal choice (the uncensored nature of this podcast could have backlash written all over it if a journo with a grudge listens in and takes things out of context). I'd say Nordy just does freelancing with 98 and Today FM, since he's announced as working for JOE.ie (who also employ Al), so there'd be less of an issue there. They may not be close mates with him though, it could just be a professional thing on-air.

Meanwhile Today FM have had to deal with the blowback of Ray's controversial bits in the past. Now they're not earning any money off his sponsors/advertisers, I'd say they just don't want the hassle of having their people involved. That's probably all there is to it and you can kind of understand that, even if we don't like it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Lads, about this whole "Today FM having a problem with Shauna and Ann being on" thing...

Are ye sure Ray wasn't taking the piss with that stuff? When I heard it I thought he was being deliberately melodramatic OTT because it wasn't the real reason. Like, let's be real here, we all know the ultimate goal of the show is to return to Today FM, that's not exactly a secret, so why would Ray be talking about "a culture of fear and intimidation" (paraphrase) at the risk of burning bridges?

I dunno, I just think there's another reason for it and using Today FM was a convenient joke to use.

When they started pressing them for info on Today FM not too long ago, I thought I heard the girls feeling a bit uncomfortable knowing the mics were on, so tbh it wasn't a surprise when that came out. I think Ray was taking the piss with his digs at them, he even said so himself, but it seems legit. If it wasn't the case then why make it up? Why look at people's Twitter and see if they're following you (though why do that to begin with anyway, you might ask)? Spreading misinformation about former employers is going to burn bridges quicker than having some playful jabs at them for something true that would obviously need to be addressed in some form.

It's believable that Today FM don't want an official spokesperson and a known contributor involved in any potential scandals that could come from this (and I'm shocked there hasn't been a homophobia story broken yet after some hack read comments here and twisted it). I doubt it's particularly personal or worth reading more into than that though.

New podcast up last night and it's just ray and al. Good one and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Yep, I enjoyed that one. A good chat.

• Advertisement

lambayire wrote: »
    Yep, I enjoyed that one. A good chat.

Great chat, would've been nice of it had been a bit longer, lots of interesting views

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Indeed. That was one of the best episodes yet. Views on the Saturday Night Show thing were particularly interesting.

Yea I thought they were only getting into it, then was over!
    Al is growing on me.

(Ann if your out there.......come back for a laugh)

Anyone think they might be browsing this thread? (They did talk briefly about whether
    they should use terms such as Bent/gay.... which may be perceived as homophobic etc)

New podcast up, just downloading it there now... description says it's Ray, JP, Ann... and a little bit of Deeno! Should be a good 'un :)

New podcast up, just downloading it there now... description says it's Ray, JP, Ann... and a little bit of Deeno! Should be a good 'un :)

She must a heard me!
    Haven't listened yet but v excited!

youngblood wrote: »
    She must a heard me!
    Haven't listened yet but v excited!

It was good! Deeno's appearance really was a cameo! If I took one thing away from the podcast, it's that Ray really doesn't like when people don't like him! :pac: He knows he overreacts though, so it's funny! It's ok, I love you Ray! :)

Just listened to it tonight. So the theory that today fm weren't happy seems to not be true at least with ann. Nice of deeno to appear if briefly.

Wasn't it great to have Ann back! Feck all talked about but interesting none the less, they bounce so well off each other

We need "una Healy" back though, even if it was just a once off

New podcast up tonight.

So am I right that there hasn't been a podcast since the 19th of February ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So am I right that there hasn't been a podcast since the 19th of February ?

Yep. Was half expecting one this weekend.

Are they on hiatus?

Are they on hiatus?

Who knows. There is no real way to find out. I don't think Ray tweets anyone back @ntnpodcast :o

Would be cool if there was a set day for it every week or fortnight like most podcasts, but really they are just doing it for a bit of fun I guess, so it's got a loose format. It's only really when they've all got time they can get one done.

I was really enjoying them, has gotten me into podcasts again. I have the Foley 98fm Show podcasts, Nerdist, Adam Carolla, The Anfield Wrap and Steve Austin to keep me going in the meantime! :)

So it's nearly a month without a podcast from the lads and I worked out where shauna and nordy were doing that podcast thing but apparently that's no longer happening.

And in the podcast that I found out the name of the podcast shauna and nordy were doing at the time, ray said he wanted to do two podcasts a week.

I understand that al and the lads work different hours and you would have to arrange to do it, but I liked this podcast.

What was Nordy & Shauna's podcast called? On podbean?

What was Nordy & Shauna's podcast called? On podbean?
    Right to fight I think. I
    No it was on frq.fm and it's a communicorp thing.

Just a thought, but with the lads off 98 this week, I would think it's a great time for an NTN podcast some evening, (unless they've gone abroad of course), so if they don't do one this week, is it fair to say they've finished up and are not going to do any more? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Alan on twitter:

Yea there’ll be more, we’ve just been lazy. Also, we’ve been hanging out in real life… ask @rayfoleyshow

https://twitter.com/AlanMetcalfe/status/446700719601496064

elmoslats wrote: »
    Alan on twitter:

Yea there’ll be more, we’ve just been lazy. Also, we’ve been hanging out in real life… ask @rayfoleyshow

https://twitter.com/AlanMetcalfe/status/446700719601496064

Nice work!

Read the whole conversation, Alan's sign-off tweet is hilarious. (in a cruel way)

• Advertisement

Longest gap since they started----Think they are killing this podcast and any potential following!

Advertisement