Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good win for tipp but I thought the performance wasn't great and they're definitely capable of a lot more. Promotion from division 4 is the very least we should be expecting given our under age achievements in recent years.

Still wouldn't class it a great year for tipp football unless we beat Limerick in the first round and then put on a decent show against the big boys.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Good win for tipp but I thought the performance wasn't great and they're definitely capable of a lot more. Promotion from division 4 is the very least we should be expecting given our under age achievements in recent years.

Still wouldn't class it a great year for tipp football unless we beat Limerick in the first round and then put on a decent show against the big boys.

Was a poor quality game of football. Few Dublin lads that were in at it thought it was like a club game.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I don't know where you are getting this about JK Brackens. While not top level standard, they are certainly in the next tier and miles ahead of the bottom rung of Cappa, Cashel, Davins etc. They are 2 from 2 so far in this years championship hammering Kickhams and Davins, and have a good chance of topping the group. There is not too many clubs in Tipp if any that will be handing them out a battering.
    They have been unfortunate in years prior to this that they are in the Mid Championship with the 3 strongest clubs by a mile in Tipperary and so have not really featured in the latter stages of previous championships.
    Also a very decent senior football side.

No tbf on reflection and further study i stand corrected. Things are certainly a bit healthier for JK's than alot of other clubs and they dished out a hammering to the Davins this weekend. They did take a trimming from Borrisilleagh last year alright iirc.

Grave situation for many clubs in the county though at present. There needs to be a middle tier created between Senior and Intermediate. The lack of intensity and competition is ultimately affecting the Intercounty teams. How can you prepare for a huge game against Kilkenny if your dishing out a hammering to a team at the weekend with zero intensity?

Xenophile wrote: »
    Great Coverage of the football game in todays Examiner This Newpaper is well worthy of your support.

Monday, April 28, 2014

By Eoghan Cormican, Croke Park

Tipperary 1-16 Clare 1-15

You’d be forgiven for confusing Conor Sweeney as a regular visitor of Jones Road, one of the many summer guests to emerge from the Hogan Stand tunnel.

The Ballyporeen corner-forward moved effortlessly on the hallowed turf, the radar in perfect working order, the ease at which he adapted to unfamiliar surrounds most impressive.

Sweeney, as is the low standing of Tipperary football, had stepped inside the Croke Park whitewash on just one previous occasion — the county suffering a comprehensive qualifier defeat to Dublin back in 2010. Four years would ensue without a single opportunity to return.

And so Saturday would not be wasted. On this turn, Sweeney was determined to rise above the occasion, to stand out and make his mark.

The 24-year-old finished with 1-8 to his name, ticking emphatically every box, six second-half minors central in edging Tipp across the line.

“I kicked a lot of scores yeah, but it was a case of being in the right place, right time. The work was done for me,” he said.

“It is great to be here. I played here a couple of years back and that was an experience in itself. It is a fantastic stadium and just a pity we don’t get up here more often.

“At the start, it did affect us slightly. We were doing things we never do, dropping the ball, shooting from angles we wouldn’t normally shoot from. We all just wanted to impress so much. I think we just needed to go back and start doing the simple things. We did that and we came away with the win.”

Sweeney was the central component of an inside line that wreaked untold damage on the Banner rearguard, Michael Quinlivan and Barry Grogan capable co-conspirators. Grogan raised four white flags in a decent showing and while Quinlivan was rendered scoreless, much credit here to Clare’s Kevin Hartnett, the Clonmel youngster provided the final pass for several scores. In total, 1-12 was sunk amid the debris of the Clare full-back line.

“The two boys are very good. We inter-change a lot. You have to keep moving in there, keep their full-back line thinking. Thankfully we did the business today.

“We came here to do a job and it didn’t matter if it was one or 10 points, we got the win and are delighted.”

Clare did enjoy a slender advantage by the end of the first quarter, Shane McGrath and David Tubridy sharing six white flags; it failed, however, to tell the full tale — seven Tipperary wides added to a superb save from Clare keeper Pierce De Loughrey, frustrating their dominance.

On 19 minutes, the target was finally nailed. Barry Grogan supplied the delivery and while Harnett repelled Pater Acheson’s initial effort, Sweeney scored the rebound.

Grogan, Robbie Kiely and George Hannigan swung over further minors, but Clare continued to advance, with Tubridy and a massive punt from midfielder Cathal O’Connor reducing the deficit to a point — 1-7 to 0-9 the interval difference.

Shane Hickey and Jamie Malone found the target either side of a Barry Grogan effort and Clare seized the initiative when Martin O’Leary, teed up by Malone and Ciaran Russell, shook the roof of Paul Fitzgerald’s goal on 43 minutes. Ahead by 1-11 to 1-8, now was their time to tighten fatally the noose. Tipperary, however, stubbornly refused to concede any further ground.

Grogan and Sweeney combined subsequently in steering over four unanswered points as the pendulum swung back in favour of Peter Creedon’s side.

“That is the kind of response we’ve given all year,” added Sweeney. “We were forced to dig and we did.”

And so it ebbed and flowed, three times they were level, until Conor Sweeney put Tipp two points up with a few minutes of time remaining. Clare had to mine their resources and while Tubridy, their most effective performer alongside midfielder Gary Brennan, pared it back to a point, no equaliser could be located.

Scorers for Tipperary: C Sweeney (1-8, 4fs), B Grogan (0-4, 2fs), G Hannigan, R Kiely, S O’Brien, I Fahey (0-1 each).

Scorers for Clare: D Tubridy (0-7, 4fs), S McGrath (0-4), M O’Leary (1-0), S Hickey, C O’Connor, J Malone, C Russell (0-1 each).

Tipperary: P Fitzgerald; J Coghlan, P Codd, A Morrissey; R Kiely, P Acheson, D Leahy; S O’Brien, G Hannigan; P Austin, I Fahey, B Fox; C Sweeney, M Quinlivan, B Grogan.

Subs for Tipperary: S Grogan for P Austin (43), C McDonald for Morrissey (45), C O’Riordan for Fahey (61), C McCullagh for S Grogan (BC, 70).

Clare: P De Loughrey; D Ryan, K Hartnett, M McMahon; S Hickey, G Kelly, E Coughlan; G Brennan, C O’Connor; S McGrath, J Malone, C Russell; M O’Leary, S Brennan, D Tubridy.

Subs for Clare: M Óige Murphy for Hickey (46), P McMahon for S Brennan (50), J Hayes for De Loughrey (56).

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan).

Game-changer Tipperary’s response to the Clare goal on 43 minutes. Reeled off four points without reply to move back into the lead and nullify O’Leary’s strike. Crucial.

Talk of the town The deplorable attendance. Just 8,654 filed through for both games, but there was certainly less than half that in the Hogan Stand for the opener. Poor.

Did that just happen? Martin O’Leary’s goal strike, sweeping move capped off by a scintillating finish.

Best on show Conor Sweeney, no contest. 1-8 over the 70 minutes represented a very good days work. Took his goal well and proved a constant threat in the right corner.

Black card watch Séamus Grogan was black carded on the stroke of full-time.

Sideline superior
    Tipperary substitutions had greater impact, while Colm Collins was slow in wheeling off Clare forwards who were non-existent for most of the contest.

The man in black Clare were clearly irked by more than a handful of Noel Mooney’s decisions, particularly the awarding of a free against sub keeper Joe Hayes for touching possession on the floor in the process of pulling off a superb save from Conor Sweeney.

What’s next? Tipperary entertain Limerick on May 31 in the Munster quarter-final, while Clare welcome Waterford to Cusack Park the following weekend.

I gave up when i read that bit to be honest. I remember that game well and as i recall we were well in it with 10 minutes to go. Lost by 6 or 8 points in the end but we by no means 'whitewashed' or disgraced ourselves

No tbf on reflection and further study i stand corrected. Things are certainly a bit healthier for JK's than alot of other clubs and they dished out a hammering to the Davins this weekend. They did take a trimming from Borrisilleagh last year alright iirc.

Grave situation for many clubs in the county though at present. There needs to be a middle tier created between Senior and Intermediate. The lack of intensity and competition is ultimately affecting the Intercounty teams. How can you prepare for a huge game against Kilkenny if your dishing out a hammering to a team at the weekend with zero intensity?

5 or 6 teams need to be lashed down intermediate as soon as possible. They are wasting their own time and that of the teams they play. Thurles and Kilruane would have been better off playing a decent challenge match somehere or giving their players the weekend off rather than the farces of matches they played at the weekend.

This year has really shown up the gap between top and bottom of senior level. In past years teams could hide in weak West and South divisions, but this year has really exposed teams. There are two teams relegated this year, maybe a few more teams might think about popping down rather than wasting another year or two staving off the inevitable.

• Advertisement

5 or 6 teams need to be lashed down intermediate as soon as possible. They are wasting their own time and that of the teams they play. Thurles and Kilruane would have been better off playing a decent challenge match somehere or giving their players the weekend off rather than the farces of matches they played at the weekend.

This year has really shown up the gap between top and bottom of senior level. In past years teams could hide in weak West and South divisions, but this year has really exposed teams. There are two teams relegated this year, maybe a few more teams might think about popping down rather than wasting another year or two staving off the inevitable.

The co board originally wanted a 24 team championship but had to settle on a 28 which is still arguably 12 teams too many. What is killing the championship is the power that the clubs and divisional boards have.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Was a poor quality game of football. Few Dublin lads that were in at it thought it was like a club game.

Well it is Division 4 , what do they expect ! Moving up a Division , playing better Teams , should improve the quality . A couple of years in Division 3 and hopefully we can kick on to the next level . The last time we got promoted to 3 we were promoted to 2 the following year and maybe it was a bit to soon going up 2 Divisions . While we had some very good results we probably needed time to adjust to the higher standard .

digzy wrote: »
    Could you be any more melodramatic? Bit of perspective?:rolleyes:It's an awful result for everyone involved but whatever work was done over the past number of years hasn't been undone with one single result.
    Ireland were abysmal against England for Eddie o sullivans final season in charge and they won the slam under kidney the next season in a sport I dare say is more competitive than ladies Gaelic football. There's obviously huge issues between the mgmt and certain players. Guess they'll have to figure out who runs the team, the manager or a select group of players.

Just telling it as it is ! It must be demoralizing for the players involved . How long will our "Eddie O`Sullivan" stay in charge . This has to be sorted out quickly with the Championship around the corner . Is there a "Kidney" out there who can come in and steady the Ship , not as simple as it seems .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Just telling it as it is ! It must be demoralizing for the players involved . How long will our "Eddie O`Sullivan" stay in charge . This has to be sorted out quickly with the Championship around the corner . Is there a "Kidney" out there who can come in and steady the Ship , not as simple as it seems .

Peter Creedon has the respect of his panel, this is the best starting point any one can have!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Well it is Division 4 , what do they expect ! Moving up a Division , playing better Teams , should improve the quality . A couple of years in Division 3 and hopefully we can kick on to the next level . The last time we got promoted to 3 we were promoted to 2 the following year and maybe it was a bit to soon going up 2 Divisions . While we had some very good results we probably needed time to adjust to the higher standard .

Ya, that's what I told them. I think we have been a bit spoilt with the quality of the games with the top teams recently. I do wonder if the gulf between top and bottom hasn't got wider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

From what I can see Michael Quinlivan has the best footballing brain in Munster, in my opinion even better than the Gooch! Give him a year or two when he will be much stronger he will come close to the class of Declan Browne and he may even surpass him. Anyway all thanks to Declan Browne who inspired many a young footballer in the county!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Peter Creedon has the respect of his panel, this is the best starting point any one can have!

Indeed . And also the respect of the support , on the way down from Dublin on Saturday our Bus broke down , luckily 1 of the Team buses was behind us and allowed us on . Peter was on it and done what he could to make everyone feel welcome . Genuine bloke !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If he has that of his squad then that's perfect as its all in for the one cause and no crap as what unfort seems to be happening with Ladies football side...
    From what I can see Michael Quinlivan has the best footballing brain in Munster, in my opinion even better than the Gooch! Give him a year or two when he will be much stronger he will come close to the class of Declan Browne and he may even surpass him. Anyway all thanks to Declan Browne who inspired many a young footballer in the county!
    He is very good but its building the cast to support him and how to best unleash his full talent that will be the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kilnamanagh

I know I'm not a regular poster in here but I do read through this thread every so often to keep up to date on the scene and as a member of a Senior West club I would just like to add my tuppence worth to the conversation.

Cashel, Kickhams and Cappa have all fallen from grace over the past few years but few people within these clubs are willing to accept the fact that they are only Intermediate standard nowadays. I suppose it is hard for these clubs, which have all enjoyed success in the past, to face up to the harsh reality that they are not able to cut it at the top level any more.

Emigration has hit all clubs but I would have to say looking at the team sheets of the above teams the number of players abroad as well as the high quality of many of these emigrants has hit teams hard. With the continuing development of rugby and soccer there is an alternative for many of the younger lads who would have previously taken to concentrating on GAA. I don't mean to criticise the rugby and soccer teams as I am also a member of my local rugby club and have supported St Michael's all the way to a Junior All Ireland Final, but there seems to be no great communication between clubs of differing codes, each club seems to want players exclusively to themselves.

Many of the clubs I know in the West are more concerned with retrieving their players from the 'foreign games' than acknowledging their difficulties. The underage structures are progressing in the 3 weaker clubs mentioned with Cashel, Kickhams and Cappa having some outstanding young hurlers coming through in u12 and u14 levels in particular. However, these young lads can't do anything for their Senior teams at present or in the near future. Eire Og Annacarthy were a team who went down to Intermediate and 10 years ago their combo went all the way to a county final which really gave a great boost to hurling in the area, they came back to senior level and are now well able to compete with Clonoulty as well as teams from outside the West.

It is not easy to come back up from Intermediate but it is possible and it would be my opinion that sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards in the long run. As tipp-Gunner outlined there needs to be a middle tier created and it is with great interest that I watch the running of the championship in Limerick with their Senior, Premier-Intermediate and Intermediate structure in place. I am inclined to agree with robbiezero in saying that some clubs need to put their hands up and seek demotion to Intermediate as I can tell you from experience it is no fun playing against a strong Senior team and getting hammered.

I would prefer to be competitive at Intermediate than getting embarrassed in Senior, I know some players are seriously considering packing it in after such a hammering, as if numbers weren’t tight enough already. Having a seriously strong Thurles team take on a Cappa team that has lost players to emigration, retirement, other sports and injury is no good the game in the county and does little for the Senior inter-county players ahead of next Sunday’s League Final.

Sorry I ranted on for too long but I am just frustrated at how things are turning out, the county board and the clubs need to be pragmatic and sort something out. Realistically, having 20+ Senior teams in Tipp isn’t doing anyone any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Best of luck to the Tipperary minors tonight. 3 changes to the team to play the Banner in Ennis

From Munster GAA site
    The Tipperary team to play Clare in Wednesday’s Munster Minor Hurling Championship match shows 3 changes from the side which lost to Limerick in the first round. Bill O’Connell, Liam McCutcheon and Michael Dunne come in to the team in place of Chris McCullagh, Willie Coffey and Shane Hennessy.

Tipperary (MH v Clare): Brian Hogan (Lorrha and Dorrha – Captain); Conor Ryan (Nenagh Eire Og), Jack Skehan (Holycross-Ballycahill), Willie Connors (Kildangan); Paul Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash), Darragh Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs), Andrew Coffey (Nenagh Éire Óg); Bill O’Connell (Loughmore-Castleiney), Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields); Alan Tynan (Roscrea), Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers), Liam McCutcheon (Templederry Kenyons); Tommy Nolan (Drom and Inch), Michael Dunne (Mullinahone), Paul Ryan (Toomevara)

Niall O'Meara would be a massive blow for Sunday if he is out. We need as many ball winning forwards as possible. I wont panic about Lar for now. I think he'll be back for the Munster campaign. If not the semi then he could appear in the qualifier or munster final though im confident it will be the latter. Either way Lar will make his mark on 2014 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Niall O'Meara would be a massive blow for Sunday if he is out. We need as many ball winning forwards as possible. I wont panic about Lar for now. I think he'll be back for the Munster campaign. If not the semi then he could appear in the qualifier or munster final though im confident it will be the latter. Either way Lar will make his mark on 2014 yet

Both Niall O'Meara and Lar took part in training last night, although Corbett trained manly on his own and did look a little sluggish, O'Meara seemed fine from this untrained eye! Darren Gleeson took no part at all and would seem a major doubt at this stage, team been named Saturday.

• Advertisement

Both Niall O'Meara and Lar took part in training last night, although Corbett trained manly on his own and did look a little sluggish, O'Meara seemed fine from this untrained eye! Darren Gleeson took no part at all and would seem a major doubt at this stage, team been named Saturday.

Good to know about O'Meara and that Lar is at least on some road to a comeback. Gleeson would be a huge loss.

Wasnt convinced with Daragh Egan the last day for any of the goals Cork got. We'll need the very best we have between the sticks for Kilkenny and Gleeson probably is the very best we have at present.

I hear poor young Shane Henessey did his ACL again...that's twice...a young hurler of great potential...probably facing a career threatening injury

I hear poor young Shane Henessey did his ACL again...that's twice...a young hurler of great potential...probably facing a career threatening injury

Minors started well. 9-8 up at present. Fair scoring for 20 minutes.

Waterford and Clare football minors had a goalfest in Dungarvan last night. Waterford won 6-9 to 4-12. Good to see the teams go for it like that. Minors can be hit and miss.

Colm o'Neill the cork footballer came back from 3 of them so hope for the young man please god.

Clare 1-18 Tipp 0-11 two men sent off for tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A third sent off for Tipp now.
    1-22 to 0-12. not much time left now

A dark night for Tipp, 3 sent off as Clare ease into the semi-finals. Clare 1-23 Tipp 0-12

A dark night for Tipp, 3 sent off as Clare ease into the semi-finals. Clare 1-23 Tipp 0-12

After a great start. We must have totally lost the plot. That said though lads expecting 14 teenagers to contain 15 for long periods was always going to be a big ask. I reckon we were as good in a 15 on 15 situation

• Advertisement

I heard the ref was dealing out yellows for fun to both sides - but it has to be said Tipp lost the rag near the end - The aim for senior Tipp is to try and get two or three senior players out of a crop - hopefully that might happen

Kerry, in football, don't win much at minor level considering their status in terms of ALL-Irelands but they produce a steady line of lines players from each crop

Advertisement