Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Any truth to the rumor that Eoin Kelly will be considered in goals for Championship? Might solve our long range free issues...I thought Darren was and is very good today

buggy beag wrote: »
    True to pal true to but sure kk neva travel.woeful supporters always have been.I'm an evertonian good results for us both today but it looks like ye will pip us to fourth.sorry about the slighty off topic reference haha

Still all to play for. If only both clubs could make it twould be great. Unfortunately that wont be the case

Any truth to the rumor that Eoin Kelly will be considered in goals for Championship? Might solve our long range free issues...I thought Darren was and is very good today

Didnt hear that but funnily enough myself and my friend were on about Kelly as we were coming back from games and we were just saying that sadly its probably as much as Eoin can offer now if he was to go back to where it all started. He'd be worth a try if it kept him around as a leader for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Thought ye were very good today lads. Wasn't a great league campaign in the actual league part, a bit up and down, but you've obviously upped it in the last few games, clearly benefited from the Cork game and were the better team today.

Up front, Callinan had a super game, as did O'Meara. Bonner Maher got 2 goals and is very hard to stop when he goes on a run like that. But O'Meara was probably the most impressive, there was one time he caught the ball over his shoulder on the run and then let it go, while being fouled by two men. Absolute top class, and he showed what an asset he could be. And Bubbles was quiet today, so you have more to add.

Thought Barry was immense at wing-back, fantastic performance. A great point and he swept up time and time again. Barrett was good too, and your backs were good in general apart from the times they batted down straight to the Clare runners. Both midfielders were strong, and Woodlock really looks a lot better than he was a few years back.

Now worried sufficiently about ye in June.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Thought ye were very good today lads. Wasn't a great league campaign in the actual league part, a bit up and down, but you've obviously upped it in the last few games, clearly benefited from the Cork game and were the better team today.

Up front, Callinan had a super game, as did O'Meara. Bonner Maher got 2 goals and is very hard to stop when he goes on a run like that. But O'Meara was probably the most impressive, there was one time he caught the ball over his shoulder on the run and then let it go, while being fouled by two men. Absolute top class, and he showed what an asset he could be. And Bubbles was quiet today, so you have more to add.

Thought Barry was immense at wing-back, fantastic performance. A great point and he swept up time and time again. Barrett was good too, and your backs were good in general apart from the times they batted down straight to the Clare runners. Both midfielders were strong, and Woodlock really looks a lot better than he was a few years back.

Now worried sufficiently about ye in June.

The big disadvantage Limerick are at is lack of Div 1A hurling. They suffer slightly from lack of competitive games at the highest level and the likes of Decky Hannon etc badly need this experience.

Limerick have an abundance of personnel coming through that can only see them improve long term. Ye will give us plenty of trouble in June not too worry. Given the derby element ye cant be discounted either. It will be interesting and i reckon it will be close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Major fallout in Limerick regarding the departure of donal o Grady. Seems some untrue statements of the management apologising for their abysmal league campaign were made public. Sad to see but hopefully this will have a detrimental effect on the team as they have always been a bogey team for us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well yeah, ye'll win for certain now.

But I'm not sure Tipp hammering a shambolic Limerick is good for either team. Certainly no preparation for a Munster final, and just no good for Limerick at all.

Tipperary will not hammer limerick. this development is nothing new to limerick...it happens often. i doubt it will throw hem. the sight of the tipp jersey will be enough to make them rise to anything - people writing limerick off - always gets them going

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipperary will not hammer limerick. this development is nothing new to limerick...it happens often. i doubt it will throw hem. the sight of the tipp jersey will be enough to make them rise to anything - people writing limerick off - always gets them going

Have to agree, sure look at last year plenty thought Tipp would hammer Limerick after getting to the league final. Favourites tag does not sit well with Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Very happy with that performance yesterday. It's 'only' the league but it's all we have to go on. We played Clare in Thurles in the league last year and they put on one of the worst performances I've seen by an opposition team in some time and they went on to win an All-Ireland. I'm still not comfortable with the full back line. I still prefer Paudie at Wing back even if he is apparently a bit short on fitness.

Against KK I'd like to see
    Gleeson
    Barrett Paudie Cahill
    Barry B.Maher COM
    Bergin Woodlock
    McGrath Bonnar Bubbles
    D. Maher Callanan O'Meara

Then get the likes of Ronan Maher, Michael Breen, Gar Ryan, Shane Bourke getting lots of time. I want a good performance against a very good looking Kilkenny.

In the past 5 years our record is poor against the Cats. They have 10 wins to our 3. Hopefully the lads don't read too much into the last game. I think all the talk of revenge is a bit silly at this stage. We hurled well for 45~ mins against them in Nowlan Park and then let the game slip. This game will be totally different and the team is playing much better.

The performance and experience gained against Kilkenny will be vital and it's great to be playing a match of this intensity before Limerick in June. Win, lose or draw we're in positive territory now. The focus will be firmly on the Championship but the experience gained in the league final will be invaluable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

ya i really like darren.he was shouting at all times during the match organising and encouraging,was delighted to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

ya i really like darren.he was shouting at all times during the match organising and encouraging,was delighted to see that

Was he not a bit at fault for the first Clare goal? I felt he could have parried it to his left away from the square, though the actual save in the first place took a fair bit of skill and agility.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

digzy wrote: »
    Was he not a bit at fault for the first Clare goal? I felt he could have parried it to his left away from the square, though the actual save in the first place took a fair bit of skill and agility.

jeez i dunno lad never played in goals but i would imagine when the ball is hit at that speed so close with the ball being small the first objective would be to stop it anything after that is down to the fall of the ball and whos quickest to react.just looking at the highlights there didnt bonnar crack in two cracking goals looks like he was doing it with years:)

digzy wrote: »

Felt he was sort of unlucky. Whatever way the ball hit his hurley it got trapped under his legs and when he got up he didn't know where he went whereas i would say he originally expected it to have been flicked to his left away from danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Lads, ye're all of great intelligence but entertaining the notion of Kelly going in goals is absolutely bizarre.

Lads, ye're all of great intelligence but entertaining the notion of Kelly going in goals is absolutely bizarre.

Well that's were he was playing when he first came on the squad. Think he replaced Damien young at the time, what was bizarre at the time was seeing him coming on out the field and giving an expedition :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Have to agree but it would be interesting to see it happen
    Well that's were he was playing when he first came on the squad. Think he replaced Damien young at the time, what was bizarre at the time was seeing him coming on out the field and giving an expedition :)
    expedition?? Was it not just to add an extra (v talented) player to squad who just happened to cover the goal.

Kelly actually came onto the panel as sub goalie back in 2000 as a 17 year old having just completed his leaving cert. Its a long time since he played there so from that point of view id agree with you but in terms of Eoin having some important role in the panel i think it may be his best shot this year and its even a long shot at that.

As a forward i think he may well get canned from the panel before the Limerick game. Only Lars injury is keeping him on the subs list if truth be told. He is a shadow of the player he once was. To be fair he is 32 and was always more about a turn or a jink to steal a yard as opposed to actual pace. His wrists were the among the best in the land in his heyday and his leadership and drive we may never see the likes of again.

However it seems he lacks the mobility required now. The last groin injury he received in 2012 seems to have been one too many. Its not as bizarre as it sounds but the fact we could have to resort to this to save the remainder of Eoins senior career would make you ponder what might have been had he been minded better in the later years

• Advertisement

He was very young at that time but was the talk of the town having led St Kierans to another Croke cup and being a prominent underage star in the making. It was and wasnt a surprise really.

Without doubt the greatest Tipperary player of the modern era. Nicky, Fox and Leahy are up there along with Lar but Eoin just had it all.

jeez i dunno lad never played in goals but i would imagine when the ball is hit at that speed so close with the ball being small the first objective would be to stop it anything after that is down to the fall of the ball and whos quickest to react.just looking at the highlights there didnt bonnar crack in two cracking goals looks like he was doing it with years:)

On Bonnars championship debut he had Lar and Eoin free for a goal chance but opted to go alone. The Wexford goalkeeper saved it but Bonnar got a roasting from both Lar and Eoin. Now Bonnar is an experienced senior in his own right going into his fifth season as a Tipperary championship starter so he has the freedom to make his own decision and i would doubt he will get a roasting for it nowadays even from the experienced lads :) Its great to see that Bonnar has the confidence to shoot. I felt perhaps that chance back in 2010 may have lingered on his mind and almost became a self fulfilling prophecy, ie 'I make chances not take them'. Gas thing is at both minor and u21, Bonnar was a head down and bust straight for goal merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

James Barry lads - what a find

He was very young at that time but was the talk of the town having led St Kierans to another Croke cup and being a prominent underage star in the making. It was and wasnt a surprise really.

Without doubt the greatest Tipperary player of the modern era. Nicky, Fox and Leahy are up there along with Lar but Eoin just had it all.

Couldn't agree more.
    I remember so many times back before the 'breakthrough' in 09 when we nearly toppled the cats when he was our go to guy. Especially the trio of games with limerick when he had almost 90% of our scores.
    He's a young man who you'd imagine had a lot to give but he has so much mileage on the clock it's starting to take its toll the last few years. He was past his best in '10 too I feel.

As regards him in goal? Not a hope in hell. He's played no games there in the league, or crystal cups. No manager would throw him in like that. Maybe he's done so in challenges ?

Comordha wrote: »

Was a bit wary of that side of out defence but fair play to them, they were outstanding.

Comordha wrote: »

Well he was an excellent underage player so not exactly a find. I think we have been slow to introduce new faces into the team over the last few years while at the same time holding on too long to the older players who aren't up to it anymore.

He's definitely someone who has been unlucky over the last few years and thankfully he's finally got a chance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Yes, I get that Kelly played in goals when young but for him to go back there after over a dozen years as a purely natural forward is too much. Unless Kelly has been training away as a goalkeeper for years, I can't see it happening and I don't know how the rumour originated.

With regards to his remaining career, he is only 32 but the mileage on the clock is phenomenal. Playing minor at fifteen and then u21 at seventeen as well as carrying the team in the dark ages is bound to affect him physically.

I was out of the country so I couldn't see the game but really pleased with the team and the win - I was expecting a Clare and Kilkenny final. To go from disastrous games and near-relegation to being in a League final is huge. I think us fans should be happy with that.

I'm impressed with Seamus Callanan, he has been a star for us. He's got all the physical tools - tall, strong, fast for his size and well able to take scores from play or placed - he just needs to grasp the opportunity to kick on in the Championship. I'll make a bold statement and tip him for our hurler of the year and an All-Star if we go far. Also if Bonner gets back to his 2010-12 best, it adds another dimension to our attack.

Does anyone know the extent of Noel McGrath's injury?

James Barry had a very bad run of injuries - hopefully that's behind him - but he's had a lot of injuries

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the extent of Noel McGrath's injury?

He took a knock to the hand. I'd be surprised if taking him off was anything more than precautionary

Advertisement