Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Jus got me ticket for Sunday can't waaittttttt!!! Really hope we show up put down a statement of intent for the limerick game.could only get a ticket for the open stand so should be a good crowd there id say hope it don't rain haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

How do people think it will go Sunday? What are people hoping for?

Guys stop with the drug taking theories. It was a mere slip up and that is all. All Tipperary GAA (both team and officials) were guilty of was a blatant lack of communication. Sports council told co board that they were visiting and Tim Floyd admitted that he dropped the ball but that he didn't expect that O'Shea had given the lads off training that very night.

I can honestly say from watching some of our earlier performances that we DEFINITELY DEFINITELY weren't taking performance enhancers and on the very rare chance that we were they certainly weren't working and were having an extreme adverse effect on us. If anything id probably argue at one stage that we probably should have been the exception in terms of being allowed take them this year we were so piss poor. Nothing story anyway. Small fine to cover sports council officials expenses so on-wards we go. Bringing Cycling and Armstrong into this argument is ridiculous considering we have absolutely no proof of wrong doing or any reason to believe of any really. Speak of other sports at least we didn't end up like Rio Ferdinand who was hung out to dry because the FA wanted to look good in front of the rag red tops etc.

Team apparently to be named tomorrow i understand? Cant wait for Sunday. A real stiff test for the lads.

Hon the fúckin Premier!! :)

Davy Power makes some good points here. When you look at Cork with the likes of Castlehaven, Bantry, Nemo, Bandon, UCC etc and Kerry who have Crokes, East Kerry, Austin Stacks....etc etc. competing for the respective county titles and then look at our system we definitely need more competition at Senior club level. Fair play at last to someone for addressing the elephant in the room. By right we need perhaps combo clubs or considerably less then 19 clubs at Senior level.

http://hoganstand.com/tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214350

buggy beag wrote: »
    Jus got me ticket for Sunday can't waaittttttt!!! Really hope we show up put down a statement of intent for the limerick game.could only get a ticket for the open stand so should be a good crowd there id say hope it don't rain haha

Hard to know really buggy. In one way id be moaning if there was a shabby effort made but in another i dont want us to show our hand too early. Another win with a grinding performance would do me nicely.

Our best statement of intent would be to beat the Cats on All ireland sunday. Personally i think they are the team to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Davy Power makes some good points here. When you look at Cork with the likes of Castlehaven, Bantry, Nemo, Bandon, UCC etc and Kerry who have Crokes, East Kerry, Austin Stacks....etc etc. competing for the respective county titles and then look at our system we definitely need more competition at Senior club level. Fair play at last to someone for addressing the elephant in the room. By right we need perhaps combo clubs or considerably less then 19 clubs at Senior level.

http://hoganstand.com/tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214350

Something I have been saying for a long time . Club Football here is a disgrace . Even Kilkenny have a proper Football League set up even though they run it of early in the year , they have the right structure . Having 32 Senior Hurling Clubs doesn`t help either Code here , at least 12 of those are not at Senior standard . I think 20 Senior Hurling Teams and 12 Senior Football Teams would be the right balance .
    Another thing is over the last couple of years Clonmel Commercials have been putting in a big effort at Underage level and are winning most County Competitions now . No other Club is doing as much as them with Football and I fear that they will dominate at all levels in the near future , I can`t see this being good for the game in the County . Fair play to Commercials for making the effort , it`s a pity other Clubs are not doing the same .
    I remember 20 years ago Nenagh had some great Underage teams and produced some really good County Players but they are totally anti Football now . Think it was 1990 they won County Minor , County Under 16 and County Under 12 .

Something I have been saying for a long time . Club Football here is a disgrace . Even Kilkenny have a proper Football League set up even though they run it of early in the year , they have the right structure . Having 32 Senior Hurling Clubs doesn`t help either Code here , at least 12 of those are not at Senior standard . I think 20 Senior Hurling Teams and 12 Senior Football Teams would be the right balance .
    Another thing is over the last couple of years Clonmel Commercials have been putting in a big effort at Underage level and are winning most County Competitions now . No other Club is doing as much as them with Football and I fear that they will dominate at all levels in the near future , I can`t see this being good for the game in the County . Fair play to Commercials for making the effort , it`s a pity other Clubs are not doing the same .
    I remember 20 years ago Nenagh had some great Underage teams and produced some really good County Players but they are totally anti Football now . Think it was 1990 they won County Minor , County Under 16 and County Under 12 .

Until John Leahy made the breakthrough my own local club Mullinahone would have been completely immersed in football. Nowadays its almost seen as a fitness supplement. To be fair to Mullinahone they just wouldnt have the numbers for the two codes. Three small primary schools but one tiny village with the few towns-lands to depend on. Leahy himself was a top footballer and many of our intercounty hurlers have been decent at the big ball game in recent times, hence a catch 22.

I think Tipp need to study the Cork model in terms of football clubs.

If your from Marlfield for example then you should be eligible for a Clonmel combo club at senior level. It could drive youngsters forward in terms of representing their club and playing at the highest level.

I feel many clubs have not gone with the times in Tipperary. Kilkenny is less of a dilemma due to their contempt for competitive football and its clear everything is aimed at hurling. Cork intercounty team hasnt been successful mainly due to who they put in charge of underage teams. In Tipp, if we can get the club championships right it could really assist us but its easier said than done. We'd be expecting some turkeys to vote for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conor_db

Does anyone know is that game on sunday on setanta or any other pay per view? Im out in Australia so im hoping i can drop into a pub somewher to watch it

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Until John Leahy made the breakthrough my own local club Mullinahone would have been completely immersed in football. Nowadays its almost seen as a fitness supplement. To be fair to Mullinahone they just wouldnt have the numbers for the two codes. Three small primary schools but one tiny village with the few towns-lands to depend on. Leahy himself was a top footballer and many of our intercounty hurlers have been decent at the big ball game in recent times, hence a catch 22.

I think Tipp need to study the Cork model in terms of football clubs.

If your from Marlfield for example then you should be eligible for a Clonmel combo club at senior level. It could drive youngsters forward in terms of representing their club and playing at the highest level.

I feel many clubs have not gone with the times in Tipperary. Kilkenny is less of a dilemma due to their contempt for competitive football and its clear everything is aimed at hurling. Cork intercounty team hasnt been successful mainly due to who they put in charge of underage teams. In Tipp, if we can get the club championships right it could really assist us but its easier said than done. We'd be expecting some turkeys to vote for christmas

That`s they problem , there are too many senior Clubs who are deluded in thinking they are good enough for senior but won`t change things as they know if they went down to Intermediate they would struggle to come back up .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

How do people think it will go Sunday? What are people hoping for?

Here is a thread on the forum where you can make predictions, it is a competion over time where results are shown each week. You will find it under GAA. National Hurling League Pools 2014

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138939&page=15

Week Eight
    Position Poster Prev. Score Points Bonus Total
    1st Hanalei 162 2 0 164
    2nd Pandiani 158 4 1 163
    3rd jjjd 158 4 0 162
    4th Claw09 153 4 0 157
    5th Fireball07 149 2 0 151
    6th Pudders 149 0 0 149
    7th Stevecw 144 4 0 148
    =7th ShamoBuc 144 4 0 148
    9th toxicity234 147 0 0 147
    10th Red Crow 146 0 0 146
    11th padd b1975 139 4 1 144
    12th qwert55 140 0 0 140
    =12th KevIRL 140 0 0 140
    =12th Hammer Archer 136 4 0 140
    15th AbsentPonderer 139 0 0 139
    =15th eoins23456 135 4 0 139
    17th dastardly00 136 0 0 136
    18th cleaboy boy 135 0 0 135
    19th Midfield9 125 0 0 125
    20th North Cork Star 85 4 0 89
    21st patmac 80 4 1 85
    22nd markboyable 54 2 0 56
    23rd Agus 42 0 0 42

Worth having a look at

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Team named

Gleeson

Barrett
    O'Mahony
    Cahill

Barry
    Brendan
    Paudie

Bergin
    Woody

Denis Maher
    Noelie
    Bonnar

Bubbles
    Callanan
    Niall o'Meara

Strong side. Possible starting 15 for the championship. You have a dilemma there with Barrett, Barry, Cahill, Paudie and Saint considering all are capable. On this occasion Saint has missed out.

Saint has been playing most of the league with a fractured wrist which he only recently discovered...

I agree with this piece that Curran remains a huge gap to fill

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/case-for-the-defence-far-from-concluded-yet-in-tipperary-1.1767008

“We’ve been doing a bit more work on the training pitch in terms of how we want to play, and that gives more confidence.

“I have a particular view of how I want to play, and we didn’t spend enough time on that last year. I didn’t spent enough time on it.

“The league’s an interesting one because it moves you from one game to another really quickly, and you end up thinking ‘I need two points here to stay in the division’ a bit too much, but I think if we can work on the way we play I’d be very confident. Getting that right, that’s what I believe in, and it’s something the team has massive belief in as well. We probably took a first step towards that against Cork — not in terms of the win, but in how we tried to use the ball. I’d be very strong on that because it’s the key to how this team performs.”

Figuring out your own team is the first challenge, though. If you don’t have a star forward, for instance, the transfer market isn’t an option: “The patterns are interesting, certainly, but your personnel dictate your team. That’s the bottom line. There can be a perception that a county manager is like a Premiership manager, that he can go out and buy in different players. But you can’t.

“If your team doesn’t have huge pace, you must set up differently. You can’t buy faster players. That’s why the personnel you have dictate everything.”

“I know it’s very exciting for the media and the public to have the league this tight, but there are pros and cons to everything. All of that said, though, another match is great for us, even if we go no further.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/premier-pulling-in-the-same-direction-265855.html

Wasn't a great game today but delighted with the result.happy out bonnar was greedy And took the two goals was waiting And waiting for him to offload so delighted he took them on himself that's all that's been missing from his game so Hopfully that gives him the confidence to keep it up.i assume the final will be on in thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Wasn't a great game today but delighted with the result.happy out bonnar was greedy And took the two goals was waiting And waiting for him to offload so delighted he took them on himself that's all that's been missing from his game so Hopfully that gives him the confidence to keep it up.i assume the final will be on in thurles?

Don't think the venue is fixed yet but surely its thurles, sure we played them in Nowlan Park in the final last year!

Happy to get the win today, performance was a thousand times better than when we last played Clare. Also thought it was great to see Bonnar being greedy, it will bring up the confidence big time.

Anyone else think watching it that the Clare players were much faster than our lads? For example McInerney came up from corner back to score a point and none of our lads looked like they could catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads ye deserved yer win much the better side, i taught james barry had a great game for ye today along with woodlock and bonner

ye will have to wait a while more to shake off that french rugby tag!!! ye would have got good odds a few weeks ago for ye to make the final

Was really delighted with today and actually thought it was a good game to be honest. 4 goals and 40 points scored in total and both teams really asked questions of each other. From a clare point of view id imagine they wont be happy with the lack of ball going into their forwards in that first half.

On our side we seen some excellent performances. Niall O'Meara, Bonnar, O'Mahony, Barrett and Barry. Woodlock worked hard and runs at the heart of defences but really needs to look up the odd time.

Up the Premier!

well done today lads ye deserved yer win much the better side, i taught james barry had a great game for ye today along with woodlock and bonner

ye will have to wait a while more to shake off that french rugby tag!!! ye would have got good odds a few weeks ago for ye to make the final

We have a gorilla to get off our back at this stage and to be honest i think its well within our sphere to beat Kilkenny in the final. In order to give our-self a chance though we'll at least have to be willing to work as hard as they do. Their work-rate is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You would have to think that clare were holding a little in reserve today. Davy seems to have mastered the psychological battle as he went over the top in his praise of how good tipp were in the interview after the game and downplayed his own teams chances. Also said his team were a long way behind but "would try their best". They weren't a long way behind in the first few rounds of the league when they hammered us.

Davy only knows one way and that's being the underdog.

Beware Cork.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

You would have to think that clare were holding a little in reserve today. Davy seems to have mastered the psychological battle as he went over the top in his praise of how good tipp were in the interview after the game and downplayed his own teams chances. Also said his team were a long way behind but "would try their best". They weren't a long way behind in the first few rounds of the league when they hammered us.

Davy only knows one way and that's being the underdog.

Beware Cork.

At the end of the day we were fairly quick to hammer the team when they under performed and now that they are chalking up wins we should be giving them credit where due instead of writing it down to the other team holding some in reserve. Sure you could argue the same about ourselves in the first four games of the league.

No one will be foolish enough to write Clare off at this stage and the next time we meet them the ante will be up again. Id fancy the All ireland winners to come out of ourselves, Clare or the Cats tbh and the Cats probably look the best of the three thus far.

Was really delighted with today and actually thought it was a good game to be honest. 4 goals and 40 points scored in total and both teams really asked questions of each other. From a clare point of view id imagine they wont be happy with the lack of ball going into their forwards in that first half.

On our side we seen some excellent performances. Niall O'Meara, Bonnar, O'Mahony, Barrett and Barry. Woodlock worked hard and runs at the heart of defences but really needs to look up the odd time.

Up the Premier!

Ah just meant Thought the game was Very stop start.Very impressed with barry,he is some find at the right time.yeah woodlock was Very good love his direct running.clare goalkeeper pulled off 2 or 3 great saves too.very impressed with the crowd at it too great to see

Ah just meant Thought the game was Very stop start.Very impressed with barry,he is some find at the right time.yeah woodlock was Very good love his direct running.clare goalkeeper pulled off 2 or 3 great saves too.very impressed with the crowd at it too great to see

There wasnt a massive Kilkenny crowd at it. Galway had a few but suffice to say the two neighbours on the banks of the Shannon were always going to bring a crowd to Limerick.

There wasnt a massive Kilkenny crowd at it. Galway had a few but suffice to say the two neighbours on the banks of the Shannon were always going to bring a crowd to Limerick.

True to pal true to but sure kk neva travel.woeful supporters always have been.I'm an evertonian good results for us both today but it looks like ye will pip us to fourth.sorry about the slighty off topic reference haha

The league is the league is the league...

and there are still too many players on the team who have failed when it comes to the physical nature of the championship and players who have yet to taste it and get used to it - so I remain nervous until we perform in the Limerick game and Munster championship. The test of the side still awaits. The league has been very loose...

At least the players are performing and working hard. I;m happy they are but I just can't help but feel cautious - I'm not saying we're bad or we won't cope. I'm just saying the time for form and wins is the championship. If Seamus Callinan gets 12 points (three from play) against a tough man like Ritchie McCarthy in the first round - I'd believe he is ready to turn himself around at championship level - he looks to be going in the right direction - but championship wins have not been secured yet

There is lots to be positive about though

Noelie went off and we still kicked on - that was great to see

I was delighted to see Gar back and get a point - we need a hard working tank like him

I think he was only really a mentor to TJ and committed to the job on a short term basis. Not really a shock. Id say he'll probably remain on in some capacity but perhaps TJ Ryan feels comfortable in taking Limerick forward himself as main man.

I would say any time you can keep a head as sharp as Donal's around would be a good thing...

• Advertisement

I would say any time you can keep a head as sharp as Donal's around would be a good thing...

True enough. Id have preferred him taking over the All Ireland winning team in 2011 or at least approached him about some role to be honest.

He took Limerick that year so its possible he didn't want the pressure of attempting to retain the All Ireland and preferred the less pressure job of rejuvenating Limerick hurling at that point in time. Even if he only advised Tommy and Declan at the time it could have helped. The 2 boys were raw as hell and needed an experienced guide.

Not sure about O'Grady's exact role with Limerick at this point in time but as you suggest, TJ will definitely cherish any tips he can get from him.

Advertisement