Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

tok9 wrote: »
    Jesus... The Alien seems to be a lot more observant in survivor mode. Just seemed to notice me in areas where it wouldn't have on hard during the main game.

That level is really scary too with a lot of background noise etc.

I just presumed Survivor mode was just a very hard version of hard mode.
    Didn't know things like the background noises were different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Someone give me some opinions here. So I chose hard as that's what the game advised.... I'm now barely into the game and struggling even to get past a room.
    The one where you pick up the door tuner thingy waaaay right at the start of the game.
    So I've figured out how to bypass the room at last but died like 50 bajillion times doing it. Seeing as I'm so close to the start does the game just gets worse? Am I better sucking it up, calling myself an old man and restarting on normal? Or are these... puzzle/stealth rooms only every once in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I just presumed Survivor mode was just a very hard version of hard mode.
    Didn't know things like the background noises were different.

I'm not saying they are different. It's just that there is an awful lot of things happening in that level. Gas pipes bursting, small flame explosions etc. Just adds to the atmosphere.

I was only able to lock the stairwell. Had no idea where the other things were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Still cracking away at hard mode, god I love this game. Defo top 5 all time for me with a doubt! How long are people taking to finish the campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Someone give me some opinions here. So I chose hard as that's what the game advised.... I'm now barely into the game and struggling even to get past a room.
    The one where you pick up the door tuner thingy waaaay right at the start of the game.
    So I've figured out how to bypass the room at last but died like 50 bajillion times doing it. Seeing as I'm so close to the start does the game just gets worse? Am I better sucking it up, calling myself an old man and restarting on normal? Or are these... puzzle/stealth rooms only every once in a while?

I was stuck for ages here too and was considering dropping the settings have now completed the game on the hardest setting.

This is when the game first really tests you and shows how to go about things so naturally your gonna die ALOT on the hardest setting

But youll pick up the swing of the game and how it operates When you meet the alien again prepare to die alot but youl soon learn his patterns and when its safe to leg it lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

madcabbage wrote: »
    Still cracking away at hard mode, god I love this game. Defo top 5 all time for me with a doubt!

I am yet to come across someone who is not really enjoying the game all that much. The fact that the Alien AI is up to scratch is fantastic, I had my doubts at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

This game type isn't my thing but HUZZAH for a successful Alien game! :D

Hopefully more to follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I only started the other day. I was turning it off before I even met an android nevermind an alien.

d7sv6.jpg

My first combat encounter with a working joe went wrong "DIE!!... **** these don't die like Ash in the film.. RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

I love how the advance FTL ships and spacestation looks like it is run by commodore 64s like the movie :D

Loving this game so far, the developers have done a great job in creating not only the alien itself but also the authentic environments as well.

The one thing I have encountered that spoils the tension a little however is seeing weapons suspended in mid-air over some dead bodies but I consider this a minor gripe compared to the game's overall quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Have only been able to play bits and pieces of this game at a time but got some proper play in at the weekend, loving each moment as it goes on and time just flies playing it. It's full of nope and it's an unforgiving game but, by gum, I'm enjoying it.

Finished the
    Derelict
    section so looking forward to continuing on tonight.

They really did nail the Alien universe vibe, from the environment, the music, the sound effects, the graphics, the androids with that specific creepy English accent that seems part and parcel with the Alien movies, and the Xenomorph itself who's finally scary again after so many years of shít movies and games.

That IGN reviewer really did whinge about nothing, Hard is the best setting to play this on as you truly feel utterly helpless and that relief you get when you reach and successfully make a save point.

The GF thought the game didn't look fun because it looked like I spent all my time in lockers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Started playing this last night.
    At start up it prompted something about using the camera, so I plugged it in.

Playing away and got to the part where you have to sneak past
    a group of four by disabling a generator

At the same time, my OH was making chips and no matter how quiet I was, they were always facing the door - waiting for me.

Took a while to connect the two, but was definitely a cool feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

F1ngers wrote: »
    Started playing this last night.
    At start up it prompted something about using the camera, so I plugged it in.

Playing away and got to the part where you have to sneak past
    a group of four by disabling a generator

At the same time, my OH was making chips and no matter how quiet I was, they were always facing the door - waiting for me.

Took a while to connect the two, but was definitely a cool feature.

I turned mine off, even the slightest fart of a noise and the fecker is down on ya! Brilliant feature but can be annoying, especially if your on hard mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I'm surprised at how well the game has been received here. Feel like getting it now.
    Is the general consensus that IGN were way off the ball on this one?
    Anyone know what score it got in Edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Giruilla wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how well the game has been received here. Feel like getting it now.
    There still hasn't been an Edge review yet. I'd imagine it'll appear in the next issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The general consensus is that IGN are always off the ball. And relying on a score is a pretty bad way to judge whether or not you'll like this game, or any game, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

IGN is full of it. Have been for some time now. All they did with their mediocre review is push more people to be vocal in their "WFT IGN?! This is great!" reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Again I think people just overdo it with the whole reviews.

It's an opinion. You either agree or disagree. If they had given it a very high score there would have been people saying the publisher bought the review. Everyone seems to pick on certain review sites but if you look back they are all generally around the same review score mark.

Find a few people you generally agree with and you'll have a pretty good idea if you will like the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Can I just go nuts fist pumping the air like a giddy motherf*cker?

One of the subplots/story strands/background details? I both liked and disliked in the full game where the logs you pick up, its become traditional fps fodder, but in isolation some of them were annoying because they sounded really interesting but it was clear you were never going to cross these people. You'd hope you might but it was not to be

but now

http://www.pcgamer.com/alien-isolation-corporate-lockdown-dlc-announced/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
    So far, the base game of Alien: Isolation is proving to be all the crippling terror I need. Eventually, though, I'll emerge from my locker, and make my way through the game. And then? Well, there'll be more game. Creative Assembly has announced 'Corporate Lockdown'; Isolation's first add-on content. It will add three new maps for the game's survivor mode—each expanding the Sevastopol's story.
    "In ‘Corporate Lockdown’, Seegson Executive Ransome has learnt that he has been abandoned by his paymasters," explains the press release. "Knowing that the Torrens is on the way, he decides to make his escape and hitch a ride on board, taking decoded Nostromo data with him. However, while escaping he wants to tie up a few loose ends."
    In addition to the maps, the add-on will introduce Gauntlet mode—challenging players to complete all three Survivor challenges back-to-back without dying.
    Back to the locker, then. Corporate Lockdown is due out 28 October, costing £5.59 / $8. It'll be followed by four subsequent packs.

it's the awesome of survivor mode

+ filling in story details of the game especially
    ransome cause I wasnt sure where his story ended, the last log I picked up from him was somewhere near Apollo Core where he went on a rant against Seegson, so even though it's only survivor maps, I hope they fill in where he dies. Also if it is in those sections, then it's areas where we previously had not dealt with the alien

+ newish gamemode

Yes!!!!!!!!

And so soon, it's out next weekend. I'm happy.

I really like the base game so more of the same appeals to me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Starting playing this last night, and the sound design is absolutely fantastic. Such creep music throughout. Really enjoying it, but by god it's hard (on hard). It should be, but still. Had my neck snapped by an android after i tried to bash in his head...guess there's no stealth kills like i'm used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Kiith wrote: »
    Starting playing this last night, and the sound design is absolutely fantastic. Such creep music throughout. Really enjoying it, but by god it's hard (on hard). It should be, but still. Had my neck snapped by an android after i tried to bash in his head...guess there's no stealth kills like i'm used to.

Yes, the sound is fantastic. The way they ratchet up the tension with superb use of music is incredible. I've been in parts of the game where I know that aside from the music, I would just be tootling around the level, but as it is, Im crouched in a corner with my heart doing 90! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

madcabbage wrote: »
    I turned mine off, even the slightest fart of a noise and the fecker is down on ya! Brilliant feature but can be annoying, especially if your on hard mode.

Yeah, got annoying after a while.
    Couldn't move for the alien to pop up out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No they are pretty much on the button with what they say but the score might be a tad low. It is a average game with a number of basic flaws that is held together by a film licence. If this wasn't Alien and was a new IP it wouldn't have gotten the reception it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm experiencing some REALLY long load times on PC. When it begins to load the circle/loading symbol is spinning, usually for about 2 seconds and then it stops. The screen freezes and when I try to click anything it does the whole 'This program is not responding...Do you want to wait or close the window" thing. Every time I would close the program but realised that if I left it for over 2-3 minutes the game would eventually resume loading/spinning symbol for about 5 seconds and then the game would load up perfectly. It's only started doing that just before I got to the whole
    overloading powercore/destroy nest
    missions. Quite annoying but at least I can play it. Might be a driver issue since I updated them close to when this all started happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Did you verify the integrity of the game's cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

^ Did you verify the integrity of the game's cache?
    I'll give it a go but it's not happening at every load. When I reload a save game after death there isn't any stalling etc. just when there are loads between areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Started out loving this game but the more I play the more I'm on the fence about it.

It tense and whatnot early on but after the twentieth time the alien or an android gets you it just becomes tedious to restart from the last save machine and redo a bunch of boring switch-hitting stuff and maybe get killed by the same enemy again anyway.

The AI seems good at first but then it becomes psychic at points and finds you when it couldn't possibly know where you were or it'll teleport halfway across a level to end up in a vent in front of you for the instakill

Maybe I'm missing the point of the game but redoing the same bit of a game repeatedly is my definition of unfun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just picked this up today on PS4 and have to vent my anger at the cutscenes, appalling for a so called next gen title. What are they? 3 frames per second?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Just picked this up today on PS4 and have to vent my anger at the cutscenes, appalling for a so called next gen title. What are they? 3 frames per second?

You can probably count the number of cut scenes on one hand though, so its not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

TomCo wrote: »
    You can probably count the number of cut scenes on one hand though, so its not a big deal.

Good to know that, still though, it cheapens it a bit for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Loving this game. Not getting the negativity it's getting in some of the press though

Advertisement