Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I watched Alien again on Saturday, the first time in years, they really got the atmosphere down in the game and the style, it's funny actually as I was watching the Blu the movie was so clean and not as dark as the game looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Finally completed it and thoroughly enjoyed it, was disappointed at how sudden and anti-climatic the ending was considering the game kept me on my toes throughout.
    I was a little disappointed at first when I realised there was no Alien Queen but then I read it was an intentional move by the devs to stay completely away from Cameron's movie, bring back the alienness of the xenomorphs and how they reproduce, so it did make sense after all. At least they had the facehuggers which I utterly despise in the games, rank little fúckers

People complained about the length but I liked it since it was a game I could only chip away at for an hour or 2 at a time. Helps if you're a fan of the franchise to keep that interest going, I guess.

Roll on the DLC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Another tip is to make sure you keep your health up. Not for the obvious reasons, but that when you are in a locker/box and the alien is sniffing you out, you have to lean back and hold your breath. How long you can hold your breath is determined by your health.

I was holding my breath a few times at the start only for the alien to still sniff me out and kill me. Turns out I had low health, so couldn't hold my breath long enough.

Might be obvious to most people, but I didn't realise it for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Noopti wrote: »
    Another tip is to make sure you keep your health up. Not for the obvious reasons, but that when you are in a locker/box and the alien is sniffing you out, you have to lean back and hold your breath. How long you can hold your breath is determined by your health.

I was holding my breath a few times at the start only for the alien to still sniff me out and kill me. Turns out I had low health, so couldn't hold my breath long enough.

Might be obvious to most people, but I didn't realise it for a while!

15 hours in and didn't know this. ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Online Game UK site are selling the game for £25 on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Also the season pass is only £10 but I imagine it'll only work with UK games/PSN accounts :(

• Advertisement

Finished last night.

One question from the very last bit.
    How did the Alien get on the Torrens? Ripley came in the airlock and the Alien came down off the Bridge where Verlaine was. How did it get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just got around to starting this. Absolutely excellent engine, it looks fantastic. The cutscene stutter is still there though, take it no updates came out to fix that?

.ak wrote: »
    Just got around to starting this. Absolutely excellent engine, it looks fantastic. The cutscene stutter is still there though, take it no updates came out to fix that?

If you're playing on PC be sure to force AA from Nvidia Control Panel or CCC.

On PS4 - which is odd, really thought there'd be some sort of quality control for a game of this nature for consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

If you're playing on PC be sure to force AA from Nvidia Control Panel or CCC.

Also for PC gamers

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324612199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

tok9 wrote: »
    Online Game UK site are selling the game for £25 on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Also the season pass is only £10 but I imagine it'll only work with UK games/PSN accounts :(

Cheers, just ordered the game for PS4 :D Can't wait to play it

Played a good chunk of this yesterday. Have to say I find myself stopping just to admire how good it looks. This is a real next-gen step up. Imagine seeing this 5 years ago? Your mind would be blown. BLOWN!

Also I really like how it actually has elements from Alien, Aliens and Alien 3. The game itself actually reminds me a lot of the Riddick game, but obviously totally different. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Started this last night, played through 1st 3 missions. Played it with the lights out and headset plugged in. I can't remember a game with such a great atmosphere. The sounds, the lighting , everything about it make for a genuinely on the edge of your seat feeling. Loving it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was just walking around and the bloody Alien dropped out of nowhere on top of me. Scared the crap out of me!

On another level and a vent popped, and I was '180 degree turn. Walking calming back to locker in room. Cry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

F*ck yeah!

New DLC just came out.

Have not played it yet but expect another scared sh*tless video from me

first impressions are mixed.

I could have sworn there was a statement from creative assembly that each dlc will bring a new game mode or idea to the core game (with corporate lockdown it was gauntlet mode)but it looks like trauma doesnt. It's 3 maps of varying quality

the first map is gorgeous visually and big. But it's yet another medical level, still it's different enough visually (there's a pediatric room which looks creepy as hell with the alien in it) but I stumbled through and completed it not knowing what I did to progress things.

the second map is all about vents, which is exciting, terrifying and a bit of a let down when you realize that there's no alien, just lots of facehuggers and then working joes. The alien might show up as its again very big and I didnt finish it on my playthrough.

The last map is by far the weakest, no alien at all just working joes, one visually nice room but very dull aside, a lot of repeated elements.

perhaps everything hangs together better in gauntlet but individually the maps feel truncated. The challenges are not as interesting as in corporate lockdown (lots of collect X of object Y objectives) which is a shame as again two of the maps are design wise fantastic, they just seem to be lacking cohesion.

EDIT: scratch that, recording didnt work as intended. Probably for the best as it was a bit on the long side. Will record new videos tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Was tempted to pick up the season pass on PSN but I think I'll wait for another sale before coming back.

I'm only getting towards the end of the normal campaign now, will look at the DLCs after. Have to say I absolutely love this game though. It's bang on the money in terms of feel, production, game play. I think my favourite thing about it is it's intense rather than scare-the-crap out of you like Outlast. I'm eager to pick it up and play through it, where as Outlast I was like 'feck that I'll take a break from that...' it helps that Isolation is so well put together, and is varied. Parts of the game are unbelievably terrifying, where other parts reward you curiosity, there's a dash of action and there elements of puzzle too.

Also as a Alien fan its so rewarding. At first it seems to be riding along the Alien theme, but when you look closely and progress through it you get elements of Aliens and Alien 3, noticeably in the level designs and interactions.

Really great game that brings an element of originality to a genre that's been rehashed one too many times. So yeah, I'll probably be eager to get onto the DLCs, and I hope they do a sequel - there's a few things they could add to a sequel. For one, whilst I think the Alien AI is brilliant and adds so much to the game (no replay is ever the same!) I do think they could've added a bit more to the movement of the Alien. Aside from walking (quite loudly) around and disappearing into vents it doesn't do much more than that. I'd love to see a bit of a variation in it's movement, I'd also love it if it sneaked a bit more. Sure if it spots you it's game over, but there are times when it's easy to avoid because it's so loud, I'd love to see it stay quiet in a corner or in the shadows and wait for you to cross it's path or perhaps hunt you a bit more by skulking about. I'm nit picking here but its definitely something I feel they could add to the game.

Secondly I'd love to see an Aliens type sequel. Yes I know the whole point of this game was to get away from the many, many awful Alien shooters but I think they could add an element of that to the game, perhaps dealing with multiple threats, perhaps still limiting your weapons or ammo and having to use the environment and/or other people to save you from the hordes. I remember when they first talked about Aliens Colonial Marines yeeeears ago there was discussions about defensive game play, i.e welding doors shut, setting up traps for the aliens, using teamplay with the other NPCs to survive situations, having specialized members in your term (engineer, marines, heavy gunners, synthetic etc). Ofcourse all of that fell to crap and we never got to see any of it (actually I'm just presuming that cuz I never played it, it looked too bad), but with Isolation you have a fantastic engine and world already built, I reckon you could apply a lot of these elements without losing the feel or atmosphere from the original game.

I've completed the community challenge, they wanted people to do the 3 levels without using the tracker.

The 2nd and 3rd are p*ss easy due to there being no alien in either of them. In fact I dominated the second one coming 2nd in the leaderboards.

1st one is harder due to there actually being an alien but it was also the most fun to do. Got videos which I am currently exporting so will link them here when done.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Loving the videos Blitzkrieg! I've never actually used an noisemaker. I must start using it.

Still playing the campaign. The Nest section was creepy as hell (I have a surround headset which added to the effect). Although it ended up being one of the easiest sections for me when you discover its quite easy to twart the alien.

Struggling a bit with those bloody androids. Stun baton ammo seems very infrequent. Other than a bolt gun, shotgun or avoiding altogether, any other tips on taking them down (especially the tougher androids) without wasting pipe bombs and EMP? (seems to take 2 pipe bombs to take down a tougher android)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Just finished it, wasn't sure if it was my kind of game to begin with. As I progressed I grew to love it, absolutely terrifying in places.

faceman wrote: »
    Struggling a bit with those bloody androids. Stun baton ammo seems very infrequent. Other than a bolt gun, shotgun or avoiding altogether, any other tips on taking them down (especially the tougher androids) without wasting pipe bombs and EMP? (seems to take 2 pipe bombs to take down a tougher android)

Bolt Gun was the only thing for me, took ages for me to figure out you have to fully charge it before it's effective.

Bolt Gun was the only thing for me, took ages for me to figure out you have to fully charge it before it's effective.

Yep, and aim for their eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Hi Guys

Is this game worth the £24.99 it currently is via the 12 deals of christmas on ps4?

Hi Guys

Is this game worth the it currently is via the 12 deals of christmas on ps4?

I'd say yes, it was worth €30 to me. It's a very subjective question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Hi Guys

Is this game worth the £24.99 it currently is via the 12 deals of christmas on ps4?

Easily worth that much.

So the season pass is in the christmas sale on PSN. Thinking about picking it up. But does anyone know if any of the dlc is story based, or just all that survival stuff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

.ak wrote: »
    Have to say I absolutely love this game though. It's bang on the money in terms of feel, production, game play. I think my favourite thing about it is it's intense rather than scare-the-crap out of you like Outlast. I'm eager to pick it up and play through it, where as Outlast I was like 'feck that I'll take a break from that...'

That's actually great to hear. Got this recently and games like Outlast and Amnesia is that I can only do them in short bursts and only when I am in the mood for my blood pressure to sky rocket. I'm excited to try Alien Isolation out now!

• Advertisement

They've released a free update that added 2 new difficulties

http://www.pcgamer.com/alien-isolation-update-adds-novice-and-nightmare-difficulty-levels/

novice *hah!*

and

nightmare *oh yeah!!!*

Going to replay in nightmare

-no map

-busted motion tracker

Advertisement