Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

And I am f*cking spent!

whooo

that took a big chunk of my life.

Steam says I've played the game for 26 hours. And I've only briefly tried the other modes.

So lets say 25 hours for single player minus an hour for me pausing the game to get food or check something

That's a day to just the single player

in contrast:

Bioshock infinite: 42 hours for 2 times through the campaign (once in hard if I remember right) plus the dlc

Dishonoured: 13 hours for one play through of the single player

spec ops the line: 6 hours (once through the campaign)

Metro 2033: 8 hours (once through the campaign)

Wolfenstien: 11 hours (once through the campaign)

Wolfenstien the new order: 20 hours (once through the campaign + about halfway through again in the other timeline)

So yeah I feel like I got my money's worth out of that. I'll write a proper review/thoughts for discussion of it when I have the energy and have digested the full majesty of the game. But right now I am struggling to name a better game I've played this year. And I without question consider this the best use of the alien licence in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Julez wrote: »
    I'm running on PC, Max settings and the game runs smooth all the time except for cut scenes, when it gets choppy, pretty annoying.

You have it installed on a HDD or a SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Did you play that on Hard? I'm considering starting again on Hard mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Got my game this morning yay!! Do I do the nostromo DLC first since its a prequel or should I just start the main game first? Im thinking main game.

Wont be playing till its dark anyways it wouldn't feel right playing this in the day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

marko93 wrote: »
    Did you play that on Hard? I'm considering starting again on Hard mode!

yeah

got my survivor achievement and all. I also just found there are automatic save files for each mission that can be selected so my treasure hunt for all of the game's secrets will be easier now.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    yeah

got my survivor achievement and all. I also just found there are automatic save files for each mission that can be selected so my treasure hunt for all of the game's secrets will be easier now.

Feck it, I'll restart on Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

You have it installed on a HDD or a SSD?

My OS is on SSD but this game is on a standard HDD.

Yah, in regards to cutscenes just watched one there in game and it was awfully choppy. Very unenjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Julez wrote: »
    My OS is on SSD but this game is on a standard HDD.

Ok, I have it on my SSD and haven't noticed any lag in cutscenes.

Would you chance using SteamMover to move Isolation to your SSD and see if the issue is still there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Getting a lot of tearing on a GTX 570. Tried to force v-sync in game and in control panel, makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

the opening first cutscene for me was very choppy, like watching a bad stream, which was very frustrating because the visuals and the characters look amazing, even on my xbox 360. Thankfully all the animation in-game is smooth as can be, and later cutscenes seem to be better too. only 3 or 4 hours in and already it's been tense and thrilling. glad I bought this right away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

About the choppy cutscenes. I noticed it too, but it doesn't bother me THAT much and I'm saying that as someone who uses SVP with certain video content! It is quite jarring to go from 100fps to that stuttering mess, though. Shoul've just rendered the cutscenes real-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That god damn vent kill has happened to me a lot more than I thought it would.

There is a section maybe 5 hours into the game.. the second or third main encounter with the Alien... where it's waiting in a load of vents.

As I thought the game is really picking up now and I haven't been frustrated by the save system at all. In fact I think it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anyone playing this on last gen consoles, xbox 360 or PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just started this last night and it's just...wow. Finally a game has nailed the Alien IP. Alien v Predator had the whole Aliens feel nailed back in the late '90s but this is fantastic stuff. From playing the early parts of the game you can see where the Dead Space team got their inspiration. So though this and Wolfenstein are my games of the year on PS4 by far. Lets see what the Evil Within is like next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

A-Trak wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on last gen consoles, xbox 360 or PS3?
    Xbox 360

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Playing this on the PC in the Dark with my HiFiman headphones on...Bricking it lol. Sound and atmosphere are simply perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Xbox 360

Any feedback on how it looks/feels?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

About the choppy cutscenes. I noticed it too, but it doesn't bother me THAT much and I'm saying that as someone who uses SVP with certain video content! It is quite jarring to go from 100fps to that stuttering mess, though. Shoul've just rendered the cutscenes real-time.

Sounds like something that might be sorted with an updated graphics driver, hopefully something is in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Playing first play through on hard at the moment makes it a proper game I think. Has anyone had problems with the game crashing? I'm on the Xbox one and I'm stuck on the marlow mission where it crashes once I come to the next loading screen!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Loving this game its definatly a welcome new breed of horror games this gen
    in the style of outlast,slender etc run away instead of fighting

It would be amazing if they made a game like halloween were myers is stalking you through a big house or something:D not a fully formed game though maybe something that lasts about 2-3 hours for 15euros on the PSN/LIVE/STEAM im suprised this lasts as long as it does

I could see big potential for a game like that released on halloween night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

my brand new 3 week old ps4 is starting to freeze on the green loading screen at beginning now. sometimes it will work but only when it takes about a full minute or so stuck on that screen. anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I'm about half way through this, playing on PC with oculus rift. :cool:

I dont really get scared by games so i dont feel much tension bar the not wanting to get killed and having to go back to a checkpoint. The alien does look very cool in VR and when he stands over you to kill you he looks huge and quite solid snd real looking.

Its not perfect in the rift, there are a few problems with textures and the world warps a little when you tilt your head, but its nearly there. I guess thats why it was officially cut from release.

I was reading some people talking about being too scared to continue with the rift. And I thought it was all exaggeration. I tested this on my girlfriend, loading the game as the alien dropped out of an air shaft. She lasted 1 min, ripped off the headset, screaming, no no no, I can't... so i guess the fear gets some people!

I'm about half way through this, playing on PC with oculus rift. :cool:

I dont really get scared by games so i dont feel much tension bar the not wanting to get killed and having to go back to a checkpoint. The alien does look very cool in VR and when he stands over you to kill you he looks huge and quite solid snd real looking.

Its not perfect in the rift, there are a few problems with textures and the world warps a little when you tilt your head, but its nearly there. I guess thats why it was officially cut from release.

I was reading some people talking about being too scared to continue with the rift. And I thought it was all exaggeration. I tested this on my girlfriend, loading the game as the alien dropped out of an air shaft. She lasted 1 min, ripped off the headset, screaming, no no no, I can't... so i guess the fear gets some people!

Haha damm now that makes me want a rift so bad now hopfully sonys version of VR can patch a thing into it to make this game compatable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

biggebruv wrote: »
    It would be amazing if they made a game like halloween were myers is stalking you through a big house or something:D not a fully formed game though maybe something that lasts about 2-3 hours for 15euros on the PSN/LIVE/STEAM im suprised this lasts as long as it does

I could see big potential for a game like that released on halloween night:D

I think that PS4 game Until Dawn is supposed to do something like that. You play the stereotypical US college students who go away for a weekend to some cabin in the woods...one, some, all or none of you might survive.

Sand wrote: »
    I think that PS4 game Until Dawn is supposed to do something like that. You play the stereotypical US college students who go away for a weekend to some cabin in the woods...one, some, all or none of you might survive.

oh yeah forgot about that one but it would be cool for someone to get a horror license of the big slasher guys Freddy,Myers or Jason and do something with that in this style of gameplay for a 2-3hour PSN game

this style of gaming is where these guys have a chance to shine after seeing how well the alien translates.

I wish it was night now so I could play this some more it wouldn,t feel right playing this with the sun beaming in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nodferatu wrote: »
    my brand new 3 week old ps4 is starting to freeze on the green loading screen at beginning now. sometimes it will work but only when it takes about a full minute or so stuck on that screen. anyone else have this problem?

Uninstall/re-install. Otherwise I would assume there is a problem with your PS4, since you seem to be the only 1 with the issue.

Ya I think that's interesting about the game.

It's not an extremely scary game but it is ridiculously intense and atmospheric.

oh wow.. I'm just after picking up the flamethrower. The section just before that was brilliant.
    Going through LV-426

There isn't enough games that do that.

• Advertisement

You know what.. I'm wrong. At times the game can be terrifying! :)

Advertisement