Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

PWInsider:
    The WWE roster has been informed that Vince McMahon will be meeting with them this Monday at Raw in Providence, Rhode Island to discuss the launch of the WWE Network and how this will change the company's landscape going forward.
    A number of talents we've spoken with are most interested in how the Network launching will change the bonuses they receive for PPVs as well as royalties for DVDs the company releases.

Since Wrestlemania will be the first PPV featured on the Network and is traditionally the biggest check of the year for talents, obviously they are concerned they could be losing out on a major payday.

Also Wade Keller said that he was of the belief the WWE talent contracts only covered merchandise as in tangible/physical objects. So talent as it stands aren't entitled to Spotify type royalties.

Read this on WWE.com about PG-14 stuff on the network
    If you fondly remember a time before WWE went TV-PG, WWE Network will include Attitude Era content in all its grimy glory. That’s unrestrained, uncensored and unedited, just the way you remember it. In other words, you can ease up on the bootleg YouTube searches, call your middle-school buddies over and relive the moments that made you go scream, “Oh hell yeah!”

Thankfully they got that deal sorted with the world wildlife fund so they can show the old scratch logo now.

But I am under the belief that most of the WWE library was digitised before they sorted out the World Wildlife Fund deal happened. So the Network will likely have a lot of blurred footage until they redo the library again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

rovert wrote: »
    But I am under the belief that most of the WWE library was digitised before they sorted out the World Wildlife Fund deal happened. So the Network will likely have a lot of blurred footage until they redo the library again.

They have been releasing unedited Wwf ppvs with the old logo in tact for years in the UK and Ireland (via silver vision) before the U.S was able to do it so that won't be an issue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

rovert wrote: »

I really hope you're wrong on that. It's an instant deal-breaker for me. I hope they had the foresight that they'd settle the lawsuit before launching the network - It seems not coincidental that the Network coincided with sorting that out.
    IngazZagni wrote: »
    They have been releasing unedited Wwf ppvs with the old logo in tact for years in the UK and Ireland (via silver vision) before the U.S was able to do it so that won't be an issue.

That's a separate deal, Silvervision's Tagged Classics were from their own tape library (which is why they look like VHS-rips)...even though their lawsuit with WWF stated the blurring was just in the USA. They could've been re-releasing unblurred WWE videos with WWF footage in tact all these years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I really

That's a separate deal, Silvervision's Tagged Classics were from their own tape library (which is why they look like VHS-rips)...even though their lawsuit with WWF stated the blurring was just in the USA. They could've been re-releasing unblurred WWE videos with WWF footage in tact all these years.

Really? They look like digital DVD quality to me. As good as it gets from a 1999 tv show.

They as in WWE didn't release them Silvervision did. Wasn't a case of via Silvervision. Those were old master tapes Silvervision owns/owned from when they were first released on VHS.

Really? They look like digital DVD quality to me. As good as it gets from a 1999 tv show.

RE: Silvervision releases, You can see the difference here. Unless you're watching them side-by-side it shouldn't ruin your experience but the comparison isn't close!
    8lod.jpg

Sometime in the later part of the 90s they do have more parity with the quality of the USA release as you said. I do bang on about the differences here if you wanna gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I imagine when WWE digitised their library and blurred the "F" logo, they made a duplicate copy with the original video.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Whos that in the gladiator gear? is it Todd Pettengill?

• Advertisement

I imagine when WWE digitised their library and blurred the "F" logo, they made a duplicate copy with the original video.

Me too. Don't ask me how or why as I don't have any kind of audio/visual background but apparently that isn't how it works. I'll ask a few people who would know better than me and find out more

I've digitised a few things before and can't see WWE being so silly as to permanently blotch their only copy of footage with a WWE blob. Their video library is their pride and joy.

I've got a friend who doesnt have any ideal ways of watching the WWE Network on a TV.

I read that it should be compatible with "Roku"

Would something like this do the trick (obviously with a USA VPN and WWE Network sub)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-3-HD-Streaming-Player/dp/B00E37LZVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389454938&sr=8-1&keywords=roku

That would be so **** if all the attitude stuff was still blurred.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

One thing I like is....

With all the PPVs and such being made available, would people be up for a "Book club" style thing on here? Where we pick a PPV or such once a week and discuss it?

So we can say "This week, let's watch ECW December to Dismember, and on Friday, we'll start a topic and talk about how bad/good it was?" :) Since such PPVs will be far easier to get now?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

I'm not saying I know for sure, but realistically the digitising and blurring would have been 2 separate jobs, first digitising the original masters, then blurring and saving as a copy.

As said above, it would be insane to permanently damage originals

Asked David Bixenspan about the blurring:
    They only blurred footage when they were editing it for a new release. All of the main digital masters have no editing of amything.

The only blurred footage on WWE Network will be DVD releases of scratch logo era footage that came out before the settlement that happened around Raw 1,000.

Well, unless they're lazy enough to recycle old Classics on Demand versions of some PPVs. Which I doubt since there's no editing on WWE Network and there was heavy editing on Classics early on.

Sorry for the confusion lads.

It was also pointed out the all of WWE's videos on Youtube are unblurred.

If you have a serious interest in the Network I suggest you follow Bix at @davidbix on Twitter and his articles for Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/users/515890-david-bixenspan

He reads all the trade articles and compiles the major takeaways. Before the WWE Network he was always the guy people from Dave Meltzer to the big time tape traders would ask about who owns what footage as for whatever reason that's one of Bix's interests and he has a steel trap memory. He also has a background telecommunications so he is loving the technological side of the story.

I think WWE are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with the "unedited" tag lines

I cant see the ECW PPVs having the original entrance music from the events.

Also with WCW PPVs I expect to hear Goldbergs WWE music edited in among other things.

And what about Jesse Ventura commentary on WWE and WCW PPVs?

I think WWE are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with the "unedited" tag lines

I cant see the ECW PPVs having the original entrance music from the events.

Also with WCW PPVs I expect to hear Goldbergs WWE music edited in among other things.

And what about Jesse Ventura commentary on WWE and WCW PPVs?

If you want to know how literal WWE advertising is. The 20th Anniversary Raw Boxset was released last year (on a very limited basis but that's another story) as uncut and uncensored when it had the same type of edits you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

One thing I like is....

With all the PPVs and such being made available, would people be up for a "Book club" style thing on here? Where we pick a PPV or such once a week and discuss it?

So we can say "This week, let's watch ECW December to Dismember, and on Friday, we'll start a topic and talk about how bad/good it was?" :) Since such PPVs will be far easier to get now?

Great Idea. Maybe 2 every two weeks though. I don't think Id have time to watch 1 PPV a week myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

One thing I like is....

Yea brilliant idea, I'll be well up for this :)

Good Will Wrestling with Charles and Bix discusses all angles of the big WWE Network announcement: http://placetobenation.com/good-will-wrestling-wwe-network-reaction/

Recommended listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

One thing I like is....

Majority of old PPV's are on Youtube now anyway,so no reason to wait for the network to launch to start this.

Majority of old PPV's are on Youtube now anyway,so no reason to wait for the network to launch to start this.

Definitely! And Ireland won't be getting the WWE Network until probably 2015 (if we're lumped in with the UK, hopefully!) Strike while the iron is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

PPV review club is a great idea.

Inski!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Barret should pop up in a cut in on Sky Sports when Cole and Co start plugging WWE network to the moon

IPu9lxT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

if you just look at the top inch or inch and a half of that gif to where you can see the hammer, it makes it a heck of a lot different :eek:

what has been seen can never be unseen

So provided they can take our payment, whats the best VPN to use for online streaming?

unblock-us.com say they wont support the WWEN and will investigate it after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So provided they can take our payment, whats the best VPN to use for online streaming?

unblock-us.com say they wont support the WWEN and will investigate it after launch.

Tunnelbear is 5 a month or 50 a year

• Advertisement

Tunnelbear is 5 a month or 50 a year

Tested it and my speed drops dramatically.

Would it be enough to stream an HD stream?

Before tunnel bear:
    3227209067.png

After tunnel bear:
    3227206636.png

Advertisement