Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Stephanie McMahon was interviewed by CBS Pittsburgh and talked about the challenges when the WWE Network launches, including editing video from WWE Over the Edge 1999, where Owen Hart tragically died. She also mentioned Chris Benoit, who killed himself, his wife and his son in 2007. Since then, WWE has gone to extreme measures to not bring his name up in any promo.

“They are incredible challenging decisions to make,” McMahon said. “At the end of the day, we try to do what’s right for our fans and we try to give them exactly what they want to see.”

WWE sent an official release below regarding the Over The Edge Pay-Per View:

“WWE Network will be airing the 1999 Over The Edge pay-per-view. However, portions of the event will be edited out of respect for Owen Hart.

So there you go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

What did she say about Benoit? Shocked that OTE will be on the network.
    Will DNS work arounds allowed to be discussed when the network launches?

No, it's not allowed in the Netflix thread so not here either. You'll also need an American credit card as well (like trying to access netflix before it came to Ireland)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Jay Steph's interview is here in video form:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9818344

She's very unconformable/stiff/awkward compared her holding court **** eating grin stuff on Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Has it been officially written anywhere that you need a USA credit card? Or are we just assuming?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Has it been officially written anywhere that you need a USA credit card? Or are we just assuming?

Yea I thought they were accepting paypal as payment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Paypal is region-locked though. I can't use my Paypal account to fund my UK PSN account for example.

Some sort of US-issued prepaid Visa or MasterCard will be the best bet - if you can find one who will take people bases in Europe.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Paypal is region-locked though. I can't use my Paypal account to fund my UK PSN account for example.

Some sort of US-issued prepaid Visa or MasterCard will be the best bet - if you can find one who will take people bases in Europe.
    Or better again a friend in the states that can get one

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Would something like this work?

Us-Unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I thought that credit card transactions under $10 didn't get address checked? At 9.99 per month I would have thought the network charge would go through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,480 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought that credit card transactions under $10 didn't get address checked? At 9.99 per month I would have thought the network charge would go through ok.

You have to pay for the first six months up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Are you sure, on the site it says
    You will automatically be billed $9.99 every month (plus tax where applicable). The charge will show up on your bill as “WWE Network Subscription.”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Are you sure, it just states you have to have a 6 month commitment, I don't recall saying it had to be paid upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

I'm currently subscribed to Hulu Plus using my irish credit card and i have no problems registering with that so hopefully the WWE Network will be similar

I'm currently subscribed to Hulu Plus using my irish credit card and i have no problems registering with that so hopefully the WWE Network will be similar

Fingers crossed!

My reading was that it's six months up front.

There's no such blanket requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd prefer it that way tbh

Are you sure, on the site it says
    Loughc wrote: »
    Are you sure, it just states you have to have a 6 month commitment, I don't recall saying it had to be paid upfront.
    krudler wrote: »
    I'd prefer it that way tbh

Link to 6 month commitment when signing up. From most Q&A's it has come across a being an up front payment.

http://www.wwe.com/help#two

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yes. Like a phone contract. 6 month contract, which'll take out $9.99/month. With any luck we can sign up with our own CCs or through PayPal but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd say it will be region blocked anyway like Hulu and paypal is region blocked as well if you try to pay for Hulu through that.

Netflix was always region blocked till it opened over here. I can't see the WWE leaving it unblocked after signing that record deal with Sky.

One thing for sure Sky will want it blocked till it opens here in whatever form that is. Lets just hope it's not a watered down version over here with no PPV's.

I'd say it will be region blocked anyway like Hulu and paypal is region blocked as well if you try to pay for Hulu through that.

Netflix was always region blocked till it opened over here. I can't see the WWE leaving it unblocked after signing that record deal with Sky.

One thing for sure Sky will want it blocked till it opens here in whatever form that is. Lets just hope it's not a watered down version over here with no PPV's.

I think it's looking more and more likely that it wont have PPVs on it when it launches over here. I just can't see them signing that record deal and Sky agreeing for the PPVs to be on the network.

A big pain in the arse especially cause all 12 PPVs will be on Box office next year.

Anyone have any relatives in the US that could sign them up for the network when it launches in a week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'll be in the US when it launches so I'm going to explore all the options while I'm there.

You can get such a thing as a Visa gift card in Walmart and places like that so that could be an option.

We'll all find out soon enough sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It really grinds my gears that there more than likely won't be PPVs on it.

If they are touting the network and what it has to offer it should be doing so as a worldwide company.

Netflix isn't a perfect comparison. The yanks do get a better selection but there is stuff that is exclusive to the UK/IRE Netflix.

Give us the network like it is in America. Michael Cole is going to spend the next year blabbering on every five minutes about all the shows, back catalog and PPVs!!! On the network and we'll have to listen to it at 2am.

They do seem to milk European at times. Give us the pat on the back we deserve.

This was one Joey Styles twitter from a few weeks back
    Joey Styles ‏@JoeyStyles Feb 4

#ECW's weekly TV show from 1993-2000 will air on @WWE Network on 2.24.14

Hopefully old Nitros and Raws are on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This was one Joey Styles twitter from a few weeks back

Hopefully old Nitros and Raws are on it as well

It'd be worth it just for the sheer volume of stuff on those alone. sure there was plenty of dreck in the glory days too but Raw was unmissable at one stage, as was Nitro.

krudler wrote: »
    It'd be worth it just for the sheer volume of stuff on those alone. sure there was plenty of dreck in the glory days too but Raw was unmissable at one stage, as was Nitro.

Raw from 2000 and Smackdown from 2002/2003 would be the first 2 "seasons" I'd look to watch.

Raw 97 as well but only watched that again recently and it was great just the way I remember it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I would like if they set up exclusive uk and Ireland shows....I'd love if they set up a promotion ala nxt with European talent and stage shows.... Would be good for the lads in industry here in general and great exposure for some of them so they can possibly have the chance to make the next step

Hopefully WWE put their foot down with Sky. The big PPV providers in the USA had to fold so I imagine Sky would have done the same. Especially with the rumoured competition BT were providing.

PPVs are on Box Office because of WWE and not because of Sky. The shows may not be on the Network or they may be. I wouldn't get stressed at this point though.

I'm guessing Sky pay WWE for the whole package and its up to Sky to try and re-coup the money they paid for the licence rights however they see fit. Unless they changed it recently.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing Sky pay WWE for the whole package and its up to Sky to try and re-coup the money they paid for the licence rights however they want.

I'd imagine that's how it works too. Especially after paying so much for WWE they need to make their money back somewhere.

I can also see sky blocking current PPVs and Raws and Smackdown's from being on the WWE Network UK.

Which would seriously devalue the networks value over here and I bet it would still launch at the same if not a higher translated price than the States version.

Advertisement