Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Hopefully not the case! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

It says you can use PayPal for payment. Would that be a way of getting around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Decobuzz wrote: »
    It says you can use PayPal for payment. Would that be a way of getting around it?

Could be but I imagine cause its the same card then it might not work

Thanks Rovert for the info. Be great to get this for after WM , hoping theres a way around it by then. Ill be out in town for WM 30 so wont need it til then.

10 bucks a month is well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A thought just occurred to me... I wonder how Freemantle feel about this? Surely this will kill off the DVD / Blu Ray PPV market. That would just leave specials like the documentaries on Wrestlers or The Rise and Fall series (unless this kind of content will also be streamable)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If Paypal is accepted we should be golden.

From any web-store I've run that accepted Paypal, we had no way of distinguishing the purchase country of a buyer by their Paypal account. We could limit the "shipping address" to certain countries using the stores own software, but not the Paypal payment location.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    A thought just occurred to me... I wonder how Freemantle feel about this? Surely this will kill off the DVD / Blu Ray PPV market. That would just leave specials like the documentaries on Wrestlers or The Rise and Fall series (unless this kind of content will also be streamable)

The reason why they went with Freemantle over Silvervision as Freemantle was more prepared for the future - steaming and all that jazz. It is still a good question though for sure. The deal with Freemantle was signed when they were planning for the WWE Network so they all probably knew the future.

To anyone who watched it. Stephanie corrected Triple H for saying the "Monday Night Wars" and not "Monday Night War" only for this trailer to play to her mortification:

4DGEUtF.jpg

Was Steph using WWE Universe speak or was this a shot at TNA for their shambolic attempt at going head to head in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Really? Maybe initially when only released to the US it might struggle but when it's released worldwide I don't think they'll struggle to achieve the same revenue as they get with the regular PPV's. I've never paid for a WWE show, mostly because it's on at silly o'clock in the morning and I've to be up the next day, and I could never justify the price for one show but I'd happily pay $10 a month if I could watch all the PPV's for the year and Raw, Smackdown, etc. and all the old matches at a time that suited me.

If you look at the numbers that pay for their product at the moment I don't think it adds up. 1m+ buy WrestleMania every year but a large number of them are casual fans who buy it based on the strength of the WM brand (as illustrated every year by the way they disappear by Extreme Rules) and their top DVD sales are about 150,000-200,000 (somewhat of a proxy for interest in archive footage) and dwindling as more and more of the stuff people want to see is already available on DVD and the people who want to see it probably already own them. So I don't see them getting huge numbers of people to sign up, especially when they need to make up for the cost of eating away at the DVD and PPV sales. It's undoubtedly a tremendous service and great value for money particularly for hardcore fans who pour a lot of money into the company through PPV's, but while I could be proved wrong I just don't see the numbers adding up as the service exists at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

rovert wrote: »
    The reason why they went with Freemantle over Silvervision as Freemantle was more prepared for the future - steaming and all that jazz. It is still a good question though for sure. The deal with Freemantle was signed when they were planning for the WWE Network so they all probably knew the future.

I'm not sure there was that much foresight deployed by the WWE. Remember the Network was originally supposed to be a TV channel, rather than a Netflix style service. I'm sure Freemantle will be damaged by this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

As far as I can see, documentary and superstar DVDs are on the Network already, spotted the recent Foley on during the presentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

No doubt there will be a way for us to get it. I'd be quite happy to pay $10 a month for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I was impressed anyway. Definitely worth the fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I agree. For once I am looking forward to giving WWE some of my money!

I'm surprised in this day and age that it wasn't a worldwide launch in February especially with the amount of devices you can get it on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm surprised in this day and age that it wasn't a worldwide launch in February especially with the amount of devices you can get it on.

I assume there's licensing issues, region unlocking issues also and there's a good chance if it's not a success in the states they may delay the launch of the network in the UK.

Loughc wrote: »
    I assume there's licensing issues, region unlocking issues also and there's a good chance if it's not a success in the states they may delay the launch of the network in the UK.

Ye that's true. I just want it to launch here next month :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thanks to all this talk has reminded me of one thing, Ive gone looking on Youtube for videos of the ECWs The Network! :)

I miss Cyrus, so underrated!

FAO Courtesy of WWE

1. What is the WWE network?
    WWE Network is a 24/7 streaming service with both scheduled programming and an on-demand library. WWE Network will include all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events including WrestleMania 30, groundbreaking original series, reality shows and documentaries, and the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes. Additional programming, including a live daily studio show coming this summer, and video-on-demand content will be added regularly.

2. How much will a subscription to WWE Network cost?
    A monthly subscription to WWE Network is $9.99 per month (plus tax where applicable) with a 6-month commitment.

3. How do fans purchase WWE Network?
    To subscribe to WWE Network, fans should go to WWE.com beginning Monday, February 24 at 9:00 a.m. ET.

4. When can fans buy WWE Network?
    Monday, February 24 at 9:00 a.m. ET.

5. When will WWE Network be available?
    Live programming on WWE Network will begin on Monday, February 24 at 11:06 pm ET with a live post-show immediately following Monday Night Raw. Video-on-demand programming will be available immediately at 9:00 am ET.

6. What devices will WWE Network be available on?
    WWE Network will be available on desktops and laptops via WWE.com. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on: Amazon's Kindle Fire devices; Android devices such as Samsung Galaxy; iOS devices such as Apple iPad and iPhone; Roku streaming devices; Sony PlayStation®3 and Sony PlayStation®4; and Xbox 360. Availability on additional devices, including Xbox One and select Smart TVs, will follow this summer. For more information, go to wwe.com/devices.

7. If fans already have the WWE App, do they need to update it to get WWE Network?
    The WWE App will automatically update on iOS and Android-powered mobile devices to play WWE Network. To watch on connected devices such as Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation® 3 and Sony PlayStation® 4 and Xbox 360, fans must download the new WWE App, which will be available on Monday, February 24.

8. What content will WWE Network feature?
    WWE Network is a 24/7 streaming service with both scheduled programming and an on-demand library. WWE Network will include all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events including WrestleMania 30, groundbreaking original series, reality shows and documentaries, and the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes. Additional programming, including a live daily studio show coming this summer, and video-on-demand content will be added regularly.

9. Will WrestleMania be available as a part of this subscription?
    Yes, WrestleMania is included with a subscription.

10. Will encores of Raw, SmackDown and Main Event be on WWE Network?
    Yes, encores of these programs will be available on WWE Network.

11. Will Pay-Per-View events still be available outside WWE Network?
    Yes, WWE will continue to offer individual pay-per-view events to TV providers. Fans should call their local cable or satellite provider for availability.

12. Will classic WWE content be available on WWE Network?
    Yes, a WWE Network subscription will include access to the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes. Additional content will be added regularly.

13. Will "WWE Superstars" and NXT air on WWE Network?
    Yes, premiere episodes of Superstars and NXT will air on WWE Network.

14. Will Raw, SmackDown and Main Event move to WWE Network?
    No, Raw, SmackDown and Main Event will continue to air on their current networks – USA, Syfy and ION television, respectively.

15. Will shows on WWE Network be available in HD?
    Yes, all programming on the WWE Network will be available in HD.

16. Will shows on WWE Network be available in Spanish?
    Live pay-per-views will be available in Spanish. All other programming will be presented in English.

17. Will shows be closed captioned?
    Yes.

18. Will WWE Network also be available through cable or satellite providers?
    No, WWE Network is delivered directly to fans through over-the-top digital distribution on the following devices: desktops and laptops via WWE.com; through the WWE App on: Amazon's Kindle Fire devices; Android devices such as Samsung Galaxy; iOS devices such as Apple iPad and iPhone; Roku streaming devices; Sony PlayStation®3 and Sony PlayStation®4; and Xbox 360. Availability on additional devices, including Xbox One and select Smart TVs, will follow this summer.

19. Will all of the programming that premieres on WWE Network also be available via on demand?
    Yes, all programming that premieres on the network will become immediately available in the video-on-demand library.

20. How quickly will content that premieres on WWE Network be made available on demand?
    Content that premieres on WWE Network will be available on demand immediately after it airs.

21. Does WWE Network programming contain advertisements?
    Most WWE programming on WWE Network will be commercial-free, however, there will be limited promotional content in select programs.

22. Is the entire WWE library available through on demand?
    WWE Network will launch with more than 1,500 hours of on-demand content, including all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views. New, on-demand content will be added regularly.

23. Will WWE Network be available internationally?
    Beginning Monday, February 24, WWE Network will only be available in the United States. WWE Network is scheduled to launch in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics by the end of 2014/early 2015.

24. Will all content on WWE Network be PG?
    WWE Network will contain a range of programming suitable for various audiences. Content rated TV-14 or TV-MA will be preceded by appropriate advisory messages recommending viewer discretion. Parental controls will be available for on-demand content.

25. Can parental controls be set-up on WWE Network?
    Yes, parents will have the ability to block content that is rated TV-14 and TV-MA for on-demand content only. Viewer discretion is advised for live 24/7 streaming programming.

26. Who can fans call or email today if they have questions?
    Customer Service support will be available beginning Monday, February 24 at 9:00 a.m. ET by calling 1-866-308-5684 or emailing customerservice@wwenetwork.com. Additionally, searchable Frequently Asked Questions and live chat service will be offered starting February 24.

To anyone who watched it. Stephanie corrected Triple H for saying the "Monday Night Wars" and not "Monday Night War" only for this trailer to play to her mortification:

4DGEUtF.jpg

Was Steph using WWE Universe speak or was this a shot at TNA for their shambolic attempt at going head to head in 2010?

They're going to be showing a series called The Monday Night War. Whether or not the title of that show changes remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

That wasn't a trailer. That was the teleprompter that HHH was reading off and he was pointing out to Stephanie that it said Wars and not war after she corrected him. Going by the logo for the show though it will be called Monday night War.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

When I first read about this earlier, I was all up for subscribing etc and thinking it was great. But one issue I have which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that this service is completely reliant on your internet connection of course. Now I have decent enough broadband like others but I don't like the idea of paying for this to stream ppv's and all that. There are rare times when my internet turns off and times when there is heavy usage,leading to slow streaming. And then theres the technical side from their end (could there be lagging,sound issues etc).
    So essentially what I am saying is, is that it will be hard to look forward to shows knowing they could lag and all that over the internet. Thinking about it more WWE is just basically providing an official version of what's out there already. Still I like the idea and think its cool but there is a big difference between watching content through a normal satellite service (Sky) and streaming over the net. Hopefully it works out well though as I am still open to it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

throwing-money.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I just hope Ireland will be part of the UK launch and not one of the other countries to come in the near future.

Just hope Ireland falls into the same copyright as the UK because Sky ho;ds the rights here.

But as anyone who has Netflix knows streaming rights are completely different to tv rights. I know the WWE owns all theirs so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

SteM wrote: »
    My understanding is that WWE only get a cut of the PPV income - obviously the provider gets a cut too. That means that the income to the WWE you came up with is probably even less. All the more reason to go with their own online network where they don't have to loose a slice of the profits.

wwe get around 40% of the ppv income currently, the rest goes to the cable company so in reality wwe currently bring in about $20 per buy

• Registered Users Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does Sky Sports lose the ppvs and tv shows now so?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Maybe PPVs, but I can't imagine TV Shows, they'll Premiere on Sky with "Raw Live" and Smackdown on Friday Nights and the encore showings will appear on the Network after they've aired on Sky. Hence why the UK app will differ from the US and why they can't launch together.

Also remember Sky's contract is up soon. So know knows what may happen then.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The deal is up for renewal in August. So not for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can see BT going for the rights just to p1ss Sky off and thinking about the Network being a streaming service a deal between WWE and BT would probably suit both with BT being the top UK internet provider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Sure they are moving more and more PPV's onto Sky Box Office, at least that's how it was before. So if you wanted WWE in full, you have to fork out 35 eur a month for sky sports, plus an extra 15-20 eur per PPV on Sky Box office.

If you even got just the PPV's for 10 a month on the wwe network, you'd be ahead financially.

If they had raw and smackdown available within a few hours or something, that would be even better. Most people over here cant watch wwe live anyway due to the time difference and having to go to work, so even a 10 hour delay would be grand.

Advertisement