Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    So, after this evening, does anyone start to feel that the 34 year old Boss might be shown the door? Not purely because of McGrath but because of his own showing.

In Reid, I'd like to think we're looking at a guy who, with another year, could be an option at European level. He has developed hugely. Threw one really poor pass and fumbled once or twice but that was far outweighed by his support, running and one great turnover on the deck. He punches way above his 90kg also.

I thought Reid should have been MOTM, and he's had a great season. Good to see Luke McGrath get a bit of time - yes, Boss was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

While I think Boss will be offered a contract, he'd probably get better terms and a longer contract in the Premiership (Stringer is what age now?) so it might depend on how long he wants to play on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nice little interview with D'Arcy before tonight's game on TG4 which can be found here:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/rugby-on-tg4/rabodirect-pro12.html

Himself and Drico, played against one another at schools, with each other for Leinster A when kids and been sharing a field ever since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I used to dread seeing Reid on the teamsheet ever since that B&I Cup knockout match against Munster a few seasons ago where he basically lost the match by himself. I've never seen one player ruin a game so much for his team. But in fairness to the dude, he has been great this season. Hard to look anything into tonight as defense seemed to be optional for Treviso but he's certainly the only one putting his foot forward for center next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

So, after this evening, does anyone start to feel that the 34 year old Boss might be shown the door? Not purely because of McGrath but because of his own showing.

In Reid, I'd like to think we're looking at a guy who, with another year, could be an option at European level. He has developed hugely. Threw one really poor pass and fumbled once or twice but that was far outweighed by his support, running and one great turnover on the deck. He punches way above his 90kg also.

Don't really agree on Boss, offer him a year at least. McGrath and Cooney don't have the experience to start a H cup game and that's what they would be one injury away from doing.

I say keep Boss in case of an injury crisis but go ahead and develop Cooney/McGrath as much as possible

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Don't really agree on Boss, offer him a year at least. McGrath and Cooney don't have the experience to start a H cup game and that's what they would be one injury away from doing.

I say keep Boss in case of an injury crisis but go ahead and develop Cooney/McGrath as much as possible

I know where you're coming from and agree in many ways but, if we keep him for HEC games, then we'll need to keep him ticking over in the Pro12. We'll also need to keep Reddan sharp in the Pro12. That's going to lead to a huge drop in game time for McGrath and Cooney. Unfortunately, they should have been given a lot more game time before now over the past 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone els reckon we'll send a second string to Ravenhill if Glasgow hold on to beat Ulster?
    We'd be guaranteed top spot with a win against Edinburgh so MOC might decide to rest a load of players to prevent any injuries.
    Problem is that they have next weekend off anyway so match sharpness might be lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Heroditas wrote: »
    Anyone els reckon we'll send a second string to Ravenhill if Glasgow hold on to beat Ulster?
    We'd be guaranteed top spot with a win against Edinburgh so MOC might decide to rest a load of players to prevent any injuries.
    Problem is that they have next weekend off anyway so match sharpness might be lacking.

That's the thing. If they're worried about an injury obviously there's no reason to play them but you want to keep your players fresh, and a 20 point loss in Ravenhill wouldn't do much for team morale.

Heroditas wrote: »

Nah, week off, send the full team. Get the win ideally and then against Edinburgh rest some of the big guns/give gametime to the less experienced guys like Reid, McGrath x2 and Moore with an otherwise pretty experienced team around them.

In fact, I'd like to see Reid start against Edinburgh regardless of how things go in Ravenhill, he's earned it.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I used to dread seeing Reid on the teamsheet ever since that B&I Cup knockout match against Munster a few seasons ago where he basically lost the match by himself. I've never seen one player ruin a game so much for his team. But in fairness to the dude, he has been great this season. Hard to look anything into tonight as defense seemed to be optional for Treviso but he's certainly the only one putting his foot forward for center next season.

He was playing at 10 then, and he is NOT a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Tox56 wrote: »
    Nah, week off, send the full team. Get the win ideally and then against Edinburgh rest some of the big guns/give gametime to the less experienced guys like Reid, McGrath x2 and Moore with an otherwise pretty experienced team around them.

In fact, I'd like to see Reid start against Edinburgh regardless of how things go in Ravenhill, he's earned it.

Glasgow have a game in hand so have edinburgh zebre and treviso left to play. That is a potential 15 points putting them on 79/80. They can still finish first so it would be madness for us to play anything other than full strength teams for the next two matches. We are out in front, but not by enough to take the piss.

Glasgow have a game in hand so have edinburgh zebre and treviso left to play. That is a potential 15 points putting them on 79/80. They can still finish first so it would be madness for us to play anything other than full strength teams for the next two matches. We are out in front, but not by enough to take the piss.

Didn't realise Glasgow had a game in hand, but I don't think starting Reid, Moore, McGrath would be taking the piss. McGrath the SH might have to wait till next season though

Didn't realise their run in was that easy. Max they can finish on is 79 and they could very well get that so we need a win and 2 BP to guarantee top spot.
    Fascinating final few weeks.
    Very fearful of Glasgow now. They're the form team in the league by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

If we fail to get the losing bonus against ulster, and they get the full 15 (which given its zebre trevisi and Edinburgh) is quite likely, then they automatically come first by virtue of number of games won. We are very realistically looking at ending up in second place. We took our foot off the gas for a huge portion of the match today, we don't have that luxury for the next two games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

5 points against embra gives us first place. We have 18 more tries than Glasgow so if points are equal we'll be first.
    I still think we should have a right go at ulster.
    We have a week off before and should rest a few vs embra if required.

Edit : sorry I'm wrong, games won decides it.

durkadurka wrote: »
    5 points against embra gives us first place. We have 18 more tries than Glasgow so if points are equal we'll be first.
    I still think we should have a right go at ulster.
    We have a week off before and should rest a few vs embra if required.

Wins is the tiebreaker. They would have more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That Ulster loss worked a great for us (sorry Ulster). The most Ulster can get is 75, Munster 78 and Glasgow 79. A win against Edinburgh will see us go to 78 or 79 with the TBP. We really should be topping the table now with Glasgow second, Munster third and either Ulster or Ospreys in forth. The game up in Ravenhill in 2 weeks will decide that. I can see a Leinster-Glasgow final in the RDS. And they're the side I'd hate to face most in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Throw the game against Ulster, put out the under 15s. Prefer them to Ospreys (note I believe Ulster are better, just Ospreys are weird)

errlloyd wrote: »
    Throw the game against Ulster, put out the under 15s. Prefer them to Ospreys (note I believe Ulster are better, just Ospreys are weird)

Come away with nothing and we run the very strong risk of finishing second.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That Ulster loss worked a great for us (sorry Ulster). The most Ulster can get is 75, Munster 78 and Glasgow 79. A win against Edinburgh will see us go to 78 or 79 with the TBP. We really should be topping the table now with Glasgow second, Munster third and either Ulster or Ospreys in forth. The game up in Ravenhill in 2 weeks will decide that. I can see a Leinster-Glasgow final in the RDS. And they're the side I'd hate to face most in the final.

With Glasgow's run in and their form, I'd count on nothing until we reach 80 points. We need something from Belfast.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

Then we'd probably be throwing away the chance of an RDS final.
    Hopefully Edinburgh can prevent Glasgow getting a try bonus point.

We have a week off before the Ulster match, and we need to keep players sharp. I think we should put out a good team in Ravenhill. A LBP would be invaluable.

I'd much rather the Ospreys. 2 big games against them this year, and 2 great wins. Ulster on the other hand won a massive game in the RDS last year and if they played in the RDS they would send more fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Come away with nothing and we run the very strong risk of finishing second.

Throw the game.... But take a BP.... Carefully match fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

We should and will send the strongest possible team out against Ulster. We have a rest weekend coming up, then two games to go all out for top spot. I don't think we should be particularly resigned to defeat in Ravenhill, we'll be up against it but a win is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

We should and will send the strongest possible team out against Ulster. We have a rest weekend coming up, then two games to go all out for top spot. I don't think we should be particularly resigned to defeat in Ravenhill, we'll be up against it but a win is very possible.

At this point I would be disappointed if we didn't beat ulster

matthew8 wrote: »
    I'd much rather the Ospreys. 2 big games against them this year, and 2 great wins. Ulster on the other hand won a massive game in the RDS last year and if they played in the RDS they would send more fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Saw Cooney walking home from the match today, is he injured or just sharing time with McGrath at the moment (who was excellent today in my opinion)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This is the first year in a long time, since 07/08, that we haven't had a European SF to prepare for at this stage of the year.

The Rabo is the only show in town now and not a chance we'll be sending weakened teams anywhere in it.

• Advertisement

Fanning's season is over - broke his arm right at the end of the game tonight apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement