Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Anyone know what's up with Ross and Kearney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Sir Chops wrote: »
    Is that tomorrow's lineup?

Yes.

From the Leinster website http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/11824.php#.U0-17PldUgg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 yuinc

9,10,11 aren't exactly the most exciting trio.. #mocball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Strong enough team, no major complaints.

Gopperth ahead of Madigan; no surprise there, Jimmy is now the #1, the debate is over.

Where is Reddan? I don't think he's injured and he's been on fire the last few months. Good to see Luke McGrath involved, hopefully the game will be wrapped up early enough for him to get some decent gametime.

Ruddock, Murphy and Heaslip is a mouth-watering backrow.

Presume Ross, D'Arcy and Dave K are just rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

yuinc wrote: »

Funny that Gopperth is actually playing more exciting rugby than Madigan, in terms of running the ball and scoring tries.

That pack tho... Serious power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Pretty much exactly what I thought when I saw the team.

Jimmy is now our first choice 10.
    Glad to see Jordi start, he deserves a run now imo.
    Hopefully McGrath gets decent time too.

.ak wrote: »
    Funny that Gopperth is actually playing more exciting rugby than Madigan, in terms of running the ball and scoring tries.

Jimmy kicks the ball an awful lot.. but that's MOC's modus operandi it seems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's an exciting back row and with Ryan on the bench it looks like a case of old man Heaslip!

that should be the backrow for the rest of the season.

Jimmy kicks the ball an awful lot.. but that's MOC's modus operandi it seems.

Yeah I'd be surprised if the stats actually showed JG kicks the ball more than IM. I imagine both of them are asked to kick it if the game plan calls to it.

• Advertisement

No idea what Fanning brings apart from being massive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

No idea what Fanning brings apart from being massive...

he's been good his last few games to be fair, but yeah I'd prefer his gametime to go to a younger player

Yeah SCM has impressed me in his senior games, and Boyle looked great in the A game.

a further two changes in the back row with Rhys Ruddock and Jordi Murphy starting in place of the injured Kevin McLaughlin and Shane Jennings.

Are Locky and Jennings injured?

If McLaughlin is injured, it would explain his horrible form for the past 4 months..

He was so off the pace last weekend it was almost embaressing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If McLaughlin is injured, it would explain his horrible form for the past 4 months..

He was so off the pace last weekend it was almost embaressing

Supposedly his form is due to an injury that he has been carrying.

IMO if its that bad he should have gone for surgery rather than pospone till the end of the season. Ruddock, Ryan, and Murphy would all do a better job at 6 than him in his current form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Macken's in the squad, there must have been a pileup in the training camp carpark or something to get MOC to pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

It looks as though Fanning and Kirchner flanking BOD on their respective wings is an attempt to close up shop against Campagnaro and McLean.

I'd say we'll be looking to smother them for 50+ mins, knock over a few kicks, perhaps drive over a try or two and hopefully run a bit more from the hour mark with McGrath and Madigan coming off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Strong enough team, no major complaints.

Gopperth ahead of Madigan; no surprise there, Jimmy is now the #1, the debate is over.

Where is Reddan? I don't think he's injured and he's been on fire the last few months. Good to see Luke McGrath involved, hopefully the game will be wrapped up early enough for him to get some decent gametime.

Ruddock, Murphy and Heaslip is a mouth-watering backrow.

Presume Ross, D'Arcy and Dave K are just rested.

Jimmy might be MOC's no 1 but that isn't the long-term solution for Leinster. What is Madigan to do, wilt on the bench? Really disappointed by the way the flyhalf issue has been handled this year and fed up to the teeth of looking at Jimmy Gopperth. There's little between them in terms of ability, other than Mads has potential - with good coaching. Gopperth has shown his level and its not what we need. It worrying if this is indicative of MOCs vision for Leinster

It looks as though Fanning and Kirchner flanking BOD on their respective wings is an attempt to close up shop against Campagnaro and McLean.

I'd say we'll be looking to smother them for 50+ mins, knock over a few kicks, perhaps drive over a try or two and hopefully run a bit more from the hour mark with McGrath and Madigan coming off the bench

Neither Fanning or Kirchner are strong defenders.. both are big and good under a high ball though and that really suits MOCball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Looks like MOC wants to win the Pro12 pretty badly. Very strong team. It's interesting that Reid is starting again. He's surely being lined up for a significant role within the team at this stage.

After today, Leinster have only one last scheduled game at home currently. That's a maximum of 240 minutes left of Brian O'Driscoll left in Dublin if we get a home semi final and make a home final. Worth going along and soaking it in just for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Why the pfeque is this game on at 5pm ?
    Surely they should be making it suitable to as many people as possible rather than loosing the attendance of those who have work to do on Friday afternoon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »
    Looks like MOC wants to win the Pro12 pretty badly. Very strong team. It's interesting that Reid is starting again. He's surely being lined up for a significant role within the team at this stage.

After today, Leinster have only one last scheduled game at home currently. That's a maximum of 240 minutes left of Brian O'Driscoll left in Dublin if we get a home semi final and make a home final. Worth going along and soaking it in just for that.

It's a strong team all right but we've a week off next weekend so why wouldn't he name a strong one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why the pfeque is this game on at 5pm ?
    Surely they should be making it suitable to as many people as possible rather than loosing the attendance of those who have work to do on Friday afternoon?

Nobody important is working tomorrow. Let the bars throw open at 3.30 and the sun drenched game commence!

Seriously though it is daft scheduling, unless for some reason they dont want to clash with Glasgow V Ulster as its a playoff clash, but that hasnt arisen before

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What pisses me off about this is that Mads was showing signs of coming terms with what he was being asked to do against Munster. He looked a lot more composed and assured in that game and progress was being made. Since then he's had a grand total of 13 minutes in a game that was well and truly over when he came on. I've no real issue with Gopperth but I think the last 6-7 weeks has shown some really bad management of the out half position.

Not starting or even playing Gopperth for weeks before Toulon (I don't count those 8 minutes against Zebre) and then asking him to take over the most important position on the field in our most important game, and then not involving a guy he'd dedicated weeks to in any significant way thereafter (we'll see how much time he gets tomorrow) is seriously poor management. No?
    chancer12 wrote: »
    Jimmy might be MOC's no 1 but that isn't the long-term solution for Leinster. What is Madigan to do, wilt on the bench? Really disappointed by the way the flyhalf issue has been handled this year and fed up to the teeth of looking at Jimmy Gopperth. There's little between them in terms of ability, other than Mads has potential - with good coaching. Gopperth has shown his level and its not what we need. It worrying if this is indicative of MOCs vision for Leinster

Can we really say that we know Gopperth has reached his peak? If Mads can improve "with good coaching" then why can't Gopperth? I think it's very unfair holding both to different standards. For all the issues I have with things at the moment I wouldn't be writing Gopperth off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nobody important is working tomorrow. Let the bars throw open at 3.30 and the sun drenched game commence!

Seriously though it is daft scheduling, unless for some reason they dont want to clash with Glasgow V Ulster as its a playoff clash, but that hasnt arisen before

Kids are all off and the earlier kick off ties in with their availability. Parents will be delighted to get them out of the house to something.

In all honesty, I don't think the scheduling will affect the attendance much. I don't expect there to be a big showing because of the opposition and it being a bank holiday weekend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Buer wrote: »
    Kids are all off and the earlier kick off ties in with their availability. Parents will be delighted to get them out of the house to something.

In all honesty, I don't think the scheduling will affect the attendance much. I don't expect there to be a big showing because of the opposition and it being a bank holiday weekend though.

I'm the only one bummed that I wont be there so I guess. Normal time, I would. Silly time, I have to miss it.

molloyjh wrote: »
    What pisses me off about this is that Mads was showing signs of coming terms with what he was being asked to do against Munster. He looked a lot more composed and assured in that game and progress was being made. Since then he's had a grand total of 13 minutes in a game that was well and truly over when he came on. I've no real issue with Gopperth but I think the last 6-7 weeks has shown some really bad management of the out half position.

Not starting or even playing Gopperth for weeks before Toulon (I don't count those 8 minutes against Zebre) and then asking him to take over the most important position on the field in our most important game, and then not involving a guy he'd dedicated weeks to in any significant way thereafter (we'll see how much time he gets tomorrow) is seriously poor management. No?

Can we really say that we know Gopperth has reached his peak? If Mads can improve "with good coaching" then why can't Gopperth? I think it's very unfair holding both to different standards. For all the issues I have with things at the moment I wouldn't be writing Gopperth off like that.

True. You also have to consider though why wasn't Madigan in the squad last weekend? I'd wager he has a niggle or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm the only one bummed that I wont be there so I guess. Normal time, I would. Silly time, I have to miss it.

I will be there as I'm off. I still think it's a stupid time to have it though. It's prohibitive, and that's the last thing that it should be. It's not like the Treviso games are packed to the rafters normally anyway.
    True. You also have to consider though why wasn't Madigan in the squad last weekend? I'd wager he has a niggle or something.

Another thing pissing me off. We simply don't know because he wasn't even mentioned in the squad announcement. While some of the "week too soon" things were annoying last season this black out type carry on is far more annoying. I'm not sure who is responsible for that, but there's no need for it really.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I will be there as I'm off. I still think it's a stupid time to have it though. It's prohibitive, and that's the last thing that it should be. It's not like the Treviso games are packed to the rafters normally anyway.

Another thing pissing me off. We simply don't know because he wasn't even mentioned in the squad announcement. While some of the "week too soon" things were annoying last season this black out type carry on is far more annoying. I'm not sure who is responsible for that, but there's no need for it really.

Luke Fitzgerald didn't make it this week, I'd forgotten about him til I red your post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement