Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How did AOS not get a black card yet Rock does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Should have been a black card for O'Shea and now he goes and gives one too Rock,nice one ref. Should have been another goal for the Dubs.

And he puts it wide lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Slattsy wrote: »
    How did AOS not get a black card yet Rock does.

The intepretation of rules are dependent on the scoreline for a lot of GAA refs, they get a bit nervous when theres a big lead

Nice to get revenge against Mayo for the 12 point hammering we got down there in 2012,by returning the favour and hammering them by 2-18 to 0-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Serious performance that lads. You'd have to assume Jim absolutely ate the heads off them after the Tyrone game.
    We seemed to take the right options a lot tonight and we got out of 2nd gear.

Mayo lucky there wasnt another 4/5 goals against them, they'll learn from that though.
    Im always disappointed when we dont take our goal chances, a real gripe of mine with us!

Glad to see Brady get MOTM

Slattsy wrote: »
    Serious performance that lads. You'd have to assume Jim absolutely ate the heads off them after the Tyrone game.
    We seemed to take the right options a lot tonight and we got out of 2nd gear.

Mayo lucky there wasnt another 4/5 goals against them, they'll learn from that though.
    Im always disappointed when we dont take our goal chances, a real gripe of mine with us!

Glad to see Brady get MOTM

It's something I'm sure Gavin will have them working on in training and they'll be taking there goal chances come the summer,when it matters the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭corny

Really excellent performance. Couldn't pick out a player under performing.

Interesting we changed plan to funnel back more. It wasn't quite blanket defence stuff but it was reminiscent of how we played when Gilroy was in charge. Worked a treat and we have the players to be the best at it...players with massive engines and players with unbelievable ability to kick pass the ball forward (in awe of Paul Flynn).

Individually? Best game i've seen from Jack McCaffrey. Worked hard and he's clever at finding space off the ball. Someone said it here he's put on weight, tbh i hadn't noticed until today but it shows. Brushed off Keith Higgins towards the end. Not the first time in the match Mayo couldn't stop him breaking tackles.

Glad Liam McHale gave the MOTM to Brady though. Deserves recognition not just for his appetite for work but for what he adds to the team.

Can't believe i was actually losing the faith a small bit:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bret Hart wrote: »
    It's something I'm sure Gavin will have them working on in training and they'll be taking there goal chances come the summer,when it matters the most.

Heard that the last few years to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It was a good performance against a poor Mayo. Bitterly cold out there but at least there was no fog after we pushed out a big lead by half time this time around :pac: O'Shea was shocking and should have been given the line but Rock wasn't innocent, t'was fairly cynical. I was contemplating going to the other end for the second half but that Bastick block was worth the price of admission, we all nearly lost our shít when it happened :p

On a negative note: Dublin seriously need to find some bottle to take their points. They work the ball so so hard to try break through for a goal or leave themselves with an easy point when they have the forwards who are capable to shoot from further back when they're under less pressure. They did the same against Tyrone, tried to run it in against 14/15 men and refused to shoot outside the 21 even when in front of the uprights. It'll be our undoing if we come up against a team who gets back, we just can't deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Joekers

2 games taken in yesterday poor result in the hurling when we were looking so good first half and great result for the football I know mayo were poor but we played great gave them no chance at all.

Michael Carton pulled off an unbelievable goal line save yesterday and injured himself in the process unfortunately and it looked like a bad injury the way he hobbled off and was badly missed in the second half, once again a red card for the opposition seemed to cause more trouble for us than it did them. We seem to find it very hard to reorganise our selfs on the pitch the players looked a bit clueless for large parts of the second half seemed to be bad communication from the sidelines Keaney was waiting to come on for about 25 mins but only came on for the last 10, Was annoying to throw away the lead we had but once Clare got going with the momentum and the crowd behind them they were hard to stop, we just can't seem to close out games.

For the football we looked a different animal altogether with Flynn and Connolly back still fail to see what Rock brings to the game other than his frees cannot see him being a starter come summer time, as Slattsy said was great to see no fog appear at half time this time around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Dublin hulers in Parnell Park are hard to beat. I'd fancy us to do it next Saturday night... although I'm not convinced about the same opposition in Croke Park during the summer.

The footballers were great to watch, although Mayo were so poor. It was nearly disheartening seeing how freely they scored, because no team will set up to play us in an open manner. Expect a summer of woeful football matches involving Dublin, in the style of the Tyrone game last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

................The footballers were great to watch, although Mayo were so poor. It was nearly disheartening seeing how freely they scored, because no team will set up to play us in an open manner. Expect a summer of woeful football matches involving Dublin, in the style of the Tyrone game last week.

One of the lads that goes with us tends to analyse games post match to the extreme. Last week he was ringing the death knell for football after Tyrone, this week walking out of McHale - it was as if Dublin got changed in a phonebox into red spandex and a cape.

Just as you say above, I remarked to him to savour the moment, that he must be able to appreciate why other teams play the mass defence to counteract the attacking threat, it doesn't make it any less palatable but that's the stark reality. The result and performance was very encouraging, but I'd read little into it from a Dublin perspective - tho I would be a bit alarmed if I was a Mayo supporter. The bones of the Mayo championship team were on display Saturday, and with the limited exception of Higgins their other renowned defenders gave little to the game. But look we walked out of Castlebar a couple of years ago on the wrong side of a 12 point beating, without it impeding the rest of the year. So if Mayo pick up on their failings last weekend they'll be fine come the Summer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the game on Sunday was a great performance, it was close to our best team all the same, Mayo looked like they didn't care, the game was more important to Dublin and it showed, I wouldn't read too much into it.

good game tonight in the under 21s. Longford gave it a lash, but they had few options on the bench. their fullback was knackered after 20 minutes and the halfback after 25. They were very good when they got the ball into the forwards, but the Dublin midfield was good . Foley was a late addition for deegan and he was very effective.

Scully showed some class with three in a row to bring it into two score territory and it was over then

great Longford support and a very close game for 50 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Was at the U21 game myself, a tough close game is what the lads needed, plenty of shots dropped short & a few poor misses too so there's a bit of improvement to come for the final v Kildare on April 2nd. The Longford support certainly put the Dublin support to shame.

Great to see the hurlers get back to winning ways today by beating Galway 0-26 to 2-14.

They now set up a quarter - final against Limerick.

Delighted we got the win, really pushed on in the second half and scored some really fine points. Stunned to see a swift punch to the gut go unnoticed by umpires and linesmen alike, can't say I was too pleased with the retaliation by Dublin either but you get what you deserve. Not the first time I've seen Rushe have a shocker this league campaign and was very surprised to see Dotsy was the one taken off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Rushe at 14 isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Any word on the Q/F venue v Limerick ? If it's home it's before the football next Saturday in Croker which in an ironic way isn't of any advantage to them - the best hurling seems to be in the 'Nell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Any word on the Q/F venue v Limerick ? If it's home it's before the football next Saturday in Croker which in an ironic way isn't of any advantage to them - the best hurling seems to be in the 'Nell

I'd much prefer to see them play at Parnell Park on Sunday. Better ground to watch the games and I'm not keen on the double headers, it's too long standing in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

It's on in Croker on Saturday night

Raging, I've a wedding to go to. Missing the football was bad enough but missing the double header :( Mind you, it'd want to be a better day out that the double header on March 7th *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

O'Gara is after doing his acl apparently. Sorry to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

keane2097 wrote: »
    O'Gara is after doing his acl apparently. Sorry to hear it.

I know a lot on here aren't his biggest fan but it's very disappointing news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Disappointed for the guy, no one wants to see anyone get an injury like that, but I genuinely think it's not a bad thing for Dublin. Don't rate him at all, this way Gavin will be forced to opt for the likes of Andrews more often.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ahh no, I'm a big fan, he's a magnet for defenders, opens things up for others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    ahh no, I'm a big fan, he's a magnet for defenders, opens things up for others

This.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Very disappointing news, very important player for the team, only real 'target' man that we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Huge loss for us. Huge. What he does often ain't pretty, but no one else wins dirty ball like him, no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I don't think he's a big loss but he was useful in some situations. Anyway, that's beyond the point, it's very bad news anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement