Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

This is major disaster at work. It's been said of going into a 3 day week.

And back home is unreal. I've seen pics of Madrid deserted. They are closing bars and restaurants from tomorrow too. And the government is considering declaring the state of alarm to stop movement of people.

Worried about the parents too. They are on the risk group (age), but my father also had lung condition.

I need to buy booze to deal with this

Pretty much all my training and other outlets have been cancelled. I am pretty much going from never finding enough hours in the day - to not knowing how I am going to fill it :)

Still home schooling the kids for the next few weeks will take a chunk of the time - and just generally ensuring they are not sitting around wasting away. One of those times not having a tempting TV or Games Console in the house pays off.

Putting my "Jedi" to work in the community a little - mainly ensuring some old folk are ok. Though doing so in a disease vector friendly way of course :)

I hope not too many working parents have to resort to dropping their out of school children on high risk groups like grand parents though. The Darling little vectors could cause more harm than good in some ways if child care becomes a desperate issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are these console games?

Working from home for the next while, we've cancelled a few things. Haven't been into a supermarket. Not sure my holidays will happen (end of next month), but hardly matters, really.

The ones I mentioned definitely aren't. Not nearly enough buttons though I think Stellaris has been released on consoles.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Are these console games?

Working from home for the next while, we've cancelled a few things. Haven't been into a supermarket. Not sure my holidays will happen (end of next month), but hardly matters, really.

Mine are yes, I have a Switch. I’ll play that and a couple of other things. Meant to be performing in a few months so I’ll have to do some body weight fitness work now that my gym and aerial schools are closed.

I would be doubtful that the holidays will happen too, so many people in my work have had to cancel trips abroad. It’s a a pain for you though.
    Barna77 wrote: »
    This is major disaster at work. It's been said of going into a 3 day week.

And back home is unreal. I've seen pics of Madrid deserted. They are closing bars and restaurants from tomorrow too. And the government is considering declaring the state of alarm to stop movement of people.

Worried about the parents too. They are on the risk group (age), but my father also had lung condition.

I need to buy booze to deal with this

I did that yesterday - after scrambling all afternoon to reassure the kids that they won’t die and get books in their bags, I went off and sank into a bottle of wine :pac:

Sorry to hear about your dad (and your worries about your parents too daggs), it’s a scary time.
    I hope not too many working parents have to resort to dropping their out of school children on high risk groups like grand parents though. The Darling little vectors could cause more harm than good in some ways if child care becomes a desperate issue.

Yes I can see that being a big issue. That’s why we were surprised that we closed so early in schools - the Department gave us no warning as per usual but we thought they might try eke it out until the weekend at least. I would have liked another day to get properly set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Get on resistance bands BonsaiKitten they're the absolute business for home workouts and travelling, can be used for stretching & hard workouts too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't forget foam rolling. :pac: For now, the US marathon I'm training for is still going ahead (May 3rd). I wouldn't be surprised if it's postponed. I could look at another in the summer, but who knows if more bans will kick in. Need to think about travelling at all...

My parents should be OK ish, mid 60s, though both have health stuff going on. My sister is high risk, underlying issue. Her consultant is already very busy, even before this.

I've been temporarily laid off because of apocalypse :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

: For now, the US marathon I'm training for is still going ahead (May 3rd). I wouldn't be surprised if it's postponed. I could look at another in the summer, but who knows if more bans will kick in. Need to think about travelling at all...

Your training may be curtailed too. I would say May 3 would be optimistic for the US. It could get very bad over there as they are not a people who like to be told what to do. Coupled with an aggressive police force there could be trouble

Sorry to hear that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I've cancelled the trip. Marathon has been postponed anyway.

Sorry to hear that, Barna. The amount of job losses are hard to fathom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hopefully, it's only temporary.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Sorry to hear that. What line of work are you in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm still in the office in work but only about 25% of the people in there at any one time, majority working from home. We are then going to a weekly rotation from the end of March of home/office/home etc in distinct teams with no teams mixing, so there will be only about 10% in there at any one time.

It's all gone a bit crazy, the city centre is a ghost town mid week, a 30km commute takes 30 mins driving. All a bit surreal.

I'm using my time at home to do a few DIY bits, get the garden ready for spring and summer as we could be spending a lot of time there and sort out some boxes of stuff we packed up before moving. I don't want to get into gaming etc as I'll never stop :D

Funnily enough, the biggest thing I miss is not seeing all the guys in work, I've been there 13 years so have a lot of friends there. Not seeing them daily is weird, it's kinda lonely going in there and being the only one from my team in there and not being able to sit anyone there at lunchtime. It's all very weird.

Anything you guys finding particularly weird or certain things hard to adjust to?

Very sorry to hear about your job Barna!

Very much feeling lucky to have work from home capability. The house I'm sale agreed on will need to be put on ice because this is going to have such an impact on the economy.

I've downloaded headspace premium, I've found myself being ratty around the place at times from feeling a bit cooped up so using the sleepcasts which are good & trying to do one mediation a day when I'm feeling a bit stressed etc. it's a two week free trial & $60 for the year thereafter if people want to check it out I recommend giving it a whack on the free version at least - you won't have the sleepcasts but there's surely something to accompany it on YouTube

Similarly the Waking Up App is a meditation app that I find useful and pay for myself.

However if you mail them during this time of Covid19 to say you can not really afford to pay out a subscription with everything going on - they simply give you a free account.

Their thinking is "While we operate a business, we believe that money should never be the reason why someone can’t gain access to Waking Up."

https://wakingup.com/

Oh Barna I’m really sorry to hear that, awful news.

Hope everyone is well! And thanks for the resistance bands recommendation D’Agger. My studio has started up a cheap enough Zoom lesson schedule so I’m doing that atm. Twice a day, has me wrecked and I feel like I’m helping keep the studio going.

I am working from home, it’s going ok. Very hard to know how much work to set though and I miss my little buds, I doubt I will see them again this school year. They keep sending me messages about their wobbly teeth falling out and funny things their dogs did.

I find the atmosphere in shops very strange, has anyone else felt that?

The smaller shop closed earlier than normal. Just back from the supermarket - bread, etc, was fairly picked clean. Atmosphere was OK. Where I live felt pretty deserted, kinda spooky.

Working from home has been OK, I've been productive (yes, really) and we're trying to call each other tomorrow. Think the pilates class I was going to is Zoom now. I'll try and book a place. Very hard to sum up the situation as a whole.

I find the atmosphere in shops very strange, has anyone else felt that?

One lady in aldi was there last week and honest to god she freaked out most shoppers. Most people were keeping distance, getting their items, nice and relaxed. This fool was racing around the place with a massive mask on, shouting 'excuse me' when moving towards people with her trolley (at speed, everything was at pace) but also, shouting from 3 metres away, absolutely hoofed her items onto the till, then ran out the door.

The fúcking panic of it all. If there was more like-minded individuals around her then you'd understand how fights and mayhem break out at shops. Absolutely bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

For sure ...there is some strange beasts around ..and they seem to surface more in times of difficulty..the lady had mental health problems in my non medical opinion.

Very straange behaviour ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maybe she is just terrified and is freaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Maybe she is ..but still very strange behaviour ....most peeps can take the stress of this situation...but some find it difficult.

Best not to judge as we don't know the background circs ...

For me I try to cut peeps as much slack as I can in these diff times ..

• Advertisement

We got the Disney stream today. Getting stuck into Boba Fett

Yeah it's weird how quiet it is, especially in the city centre. Saturday afternoon I had to collect something near Stephens Green and the place was completely deserted. Very eerie.

In the supermarkets you can see some people really on edge, others are taking it in their stride.

I was at the airport on Monday, had to collect a rental car and its very surreal there. Most staff just kinda wandering around looking for something to do. You see the odd traveller usually with a trolley stacked full of bags, masks on, gloves on etc.. Like they can't wait to get out of the place.

I have to work from home for all of next week, will be interesting to see how disciplined I can be and try not to be raiding the fridge every 5 mins.

It also looks like this could go on until the end of May or longer if Ireland starts following in Italy or Spain footsteps, fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Maybe she is just terrified and is freaking out.
    True, I'm aware I'm judging, but my god....there was no keeping a lid on it by this poor lady! Hope she's alright

Working from home has been difficult, depending on bursts of concentration to do things rather than being consistent with things, I mean...it's working fine but you can be left feeling like you're accomplishing nothing at the end of some days which is draining in itself.

Anybody buy hair clippers and shave their head yet?.....asking for a friend. If Keane20197 is lurking - Generic Army Man COVID-19 version could be in stock soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's no market for that

Hopefully, it's only temporary.
    It is temporary yeah. I'm waiting for Leo's money help now
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. What line of work are you in?
    Wholesale, related to tourism and hospitality. So I was doomed from the start.

Thanks folks.

I think yesterday was a tough day. I've been talking daily to my parents and friends back home, they are dealing ok with the lock down. They say that something really creepy and eerie is the silence, the empty streets.

I saw on a web cam my home town deserted. That was shocking. And then a video of what people have been doing the to cheer up like playing music on balconies, bingo, working out.

All that and the job situation hit me badly. :(

It is temporary yeah. I'm waiting for Leo's money help now

Wholesale, related to tourism and hospitality. So I was doomed from the start.

Thanks folks.

I think yesterday was a tough day. I've been talking daily to my parents and friends back home, they are dealing ok with the lock down. They say that something really creepy and eerie is the silence, the empty streets.

I saw on a web cam my home town deserted. That was shocking. And then a video of what people have been doing the to cheer up like playing music on balconies, bingo, working out.

All that and the job situation hit me badly. :(

Sorry to hear that, try and get your head into a good place and make the most of the downtime. Fingers crossed it will turn around soon for you

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's no market for that
    Inelastic supply will be provided regardless

Well folks, gonna be an interesting few weeks. Hope that you and yours are alright. Hope the community on here helps people get through it.

Interesting few weeks for sure, I hope everyone is well and ready to bunker down. Thinking I will have to take up something new to keep myself occupied.

Moving into Zoom lessons with my class next week, which will be a wild experience to say the least. Thankfully it will just be a few trial sessions and then I have Easter to regroup and make a workable plan for it...

• Advertisement

I've used zoom for a few meetings and it seems to work fairly well.
    I downloaded the house party app last night aswell however my only contact that has it is my 13 year old niece

Advertisement