Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Zoom has been very handy but they've cropped up for having fairly wild terms of use. They also had a large vulnerability in the last year regarding remote camera access, check your settings to make sure audio & video are disconnected when you join a meeting - reduces the chances of clicking a dodgy link that activates zoom in the background etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My boss has said we can't use it for that reason. Dodgy privacy policy, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any of yiz use wireless/bluetooth earphones? Not keen on AirPods as I don't like white. I have wired ones (non-Apple) for running, one is dead and I only use one ear anyway for safety.

Any of yiz use wireless/bluetooth earphones? Not keen on AirPods as I don't like white. I have wired ones (non-Apple) for running, one is dead and I only use one ear anyway for safety.
    I've a pair of Sennheiser 4.40 - simple job for about 100 quid in Harvey Norman about two years ago and they're brilliant - not noise cancelling but they're close enough, well insulated sound. You can get the 4.50 which are noise cancelling for cheap on Amazon currently.

For running I use JBL Jump 3 - handy enough, decent battery but a bit finniky in how they fit, I find they come loose - cost about 60 though so wasn't expecting anything amazing tbf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

D'Agger wrote: »
    I've a pair of Sennheiser 4.40 - simple job for about 100 quid in Harvey Norman about two years ago and they're brilliant - not noise cancelling but they're close enough, well insulated sound. You can get the 4.50 which are noise cancelling for cheap on Amazon currently.

For running I use JBL Jump 3 - handy enough, decent battery but a bit finniky in how they fit, I find they come loose - cost about 60 though so wasn't expecting anything amazing tbf

I wear glasses so getting a proper set of headphones is out of the question sadly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I wear glasses so getting a proper set of headphones is out of the question sadly.

Glasses here too, though headphones have never appealed to me, in general. Not spent much € online. You ever bought glasses online? I'm back on listening to podcasts whilst running for now.

Feel like I should be getting back into board games or something analogue for a break.

Hope everyone's doing OK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Glasses here too, though headphones have never appealed to me, in general. Not spent much € online. You ever bought glasses online? I'm back on listening to podcasts whilst running for now.

Feel like I should be getting back into board games or something analogue for a break.

Hope everyone's doing OK.

I'm fortunately not much of a music person.

I'd never buy glasses online. I don't know how that would even work in terms of size, prescription, etc.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Gotten back into sudoku this week. Wild times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We may reschedule that pint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I use Bose Soundsport free. Not sure I'd recommend them, they're ****ing huge things (maybe that's a plus for running, people would see them) but the sound is pretty good. They're very secure, I wear them in the air all the time!

Hope everyone is well too. It's my Easter holidays at the moment so I am alternating between the Witcher, Animal Crossing and a lot of home training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

What about those bone conduction headphones? Aftershokz are one brand but there are plenty out there. One of my colleagues wears glasses and uses them all the time and swears by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bought a load a booze and Easter eggs.
    Essential shopping, I think it is!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

D'Agger wrote: »
    Gotten back into sudoku this week. Wild times.

Must have a look at that, never really got into it tbh.

Don't have much time lately, working crazy hours as I'm still in the office every second week, week working from home then week in the office the next. Leaving the house at 8.30am most days and not getting home before 8pm most evenings.

Panthro wrote: »
    Bought a load a booze and Easter eggs.
    Essential shopping, I think it is!

Ohh forgot about Easter eggs.. Think I deserve one. :D

Bought about 8 of them. 75p each sure it would be wrong to leave them behind!

keane2097 wrote: »
    We may reschedule that pint

Bon Iver gig rescheduled to January 2021, was looking forward to a gig to kick off the summer
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Must have a look at that, never really got into it tbh.

Don't have much time lately, working crazy hours as I'm still in the office every second week, week working from home then week in the office the next. Leaving the house at 8.30am most days and not getting home before 8pm most evenings.

Do, the app I have you can start away, minimize the app and it pauses the timer on the game so you could go back to it during lunch or in the evening.

I use Bose Soundsport free. Not sure I'd recommend them, they're ****ing huge things (maybe that's a plus for running, people would see them) but the sound is pretty good. They're very secure, I wear them in the air all the time!

These yolks?

Think that's the first time I've seen 'used' on Amazon in relation to earphones and er...not a pleasant though for anything ear related. Could be they were returned unopened. I've bought little online and am trying not to go on a spree.

Looks like we'll have a few more weeks of the current situation.

Bought about 8 of them. 75p each sure it would be wrong to leave them behind!

75p? What you buy? Creme eggs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

These yolks?

Think that's the first time I've seen 'used' on Amazon in relation to earphones and er...not a pleasant though for anything ear related. Could be they were returned unopened. I've bought little online and am trying not to go on a spree.

Looks like we'll have a few more weeks of the current situation.

Those are the ones! Mine are black and yellow though. Not loving the idea of second hand earphones...

Agreed, we've a while to go yet. All the secondary teachers I know are in a flap over today's Junior and Leaving Cert announcements.

Haven't played a game in ages. Couldn't remember my password for Steam. 'Self-recovery is not available for this account'.

Technology. :pac:

• Advertisement

So what about that lockdown eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'm back to work, full time, with a lovely tan :D

No date for Spain reopening borders so I can go see my folks... if there are any flights

But I'm not used to work :(

I'm working from home full time.
    And its hella boring! I've no idea what day of the week it is half the time, but I'm trying my dangdest to have some sort of routine each day.
    Mad how quickly the world went arse ways!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is Friday. So weekend!!!
    I am liking the wfh tbh. It helps that the weather has been nice so not stuck inside. The hour plus saved everyday by not commuting is great.

I was offered a new job about a month ago for 10k salary increase. I turned it down at the time as I was nervous about moving during a crisis (ie after 6 mths probation being let go as corporate policy is to not take on anyone new) however I saw the job advertised again this morning and am regretting turning it down now (a little bit). Mulling over whether to contact the recruiter and ask him to put in a call for me.

But yeah enjoying being at home and thankful I still have a job. We are doing well in comparison to lots of people so any complaints are small ones.

Ara apply for it. Do the interview. See how it goes. If it feels right happy days and if not you've lost an hour or so of your life to an interview.
    win win!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ara apply for it. Do the interview. See how it goes. If it feels right happy days and if not you've lost an hour or so of your life to an interview.
    win win!

I already did the interview etc and got offered the job. Turned it down as it was bad timing. The interview was the Friday before lockdown and, now that I think of it, was the last time I shook anybodies hand.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I already did the interview etc and got offered the job. Turned it down as it was bad timing. The interview was the Friday before lockdown and, now that I think of it, was the last time I shook anybodies hand.

Personally I wouldn't move job now, too many unknowns coming down the line. Anyone on probation will be the first to go if anything goes wrong with the company.

You're better off staying where you are for the moment. Much safer.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't move job now, too many unknowns coming down the line. Anyone on probation will be the first to go if anything goes wrong with the company.

You're better off staying where you are for the moment. Much safer.

Early in the lockdown, I had recruitment agencies calling me right, left and centre. Like yourself, I'd be very much on retaining the status quo while we wait this out.

Then again, I've sod all idea what I want to do and I'm in academia so I'm lucky to have a secure job at the moment.

H. H. Asquith

That was my thought too tbh but 6 weeks later I see the job still advertised. The job itself is taking an item in house that was previously subcontracted. So it is already a cost cutting/Revenue generating role. It is a compliance job too so the clients HAVE to get someone to do it.

The penny pinching in my current job is getting too much. 9 months now waiting for a bonus to be paid. My last salary review was dragged out for 13 months.

• Advertisement

Screw it. Contact the recruiter.
    They might throw in a few perks to sweeten the deal.

Also I've no real ties so maybe don't take my advice!

Advertisement