Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New visualz for Shoot The Piano Player from Zilla Rocca's album, Has-Lo on the feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Ghostface x Danny Brown x BBNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Thanking this post before I even listen to the track. That's how experimental my music tastes are.

Brian wrote: »
    Thanking this post before I even listen to the track. That's how experimental my music tastes are.

BBNG can do no wrong at the minute, everything they touch turns to gold. Hopefully they'll produce a full project for somebody soon. This track they did for Earl is still one of the best beats I've heard in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Only gave it the one spin in that stream that was going around, nothing on it appealed to me, there last few releases havnt been great my opinion.

After one listen to it, I feel exactly the same. Didn't really like any of it.

I've liked their recent stuff, I think How I Got Over is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you're diggin BBNG, you should check out Marijuana DeathSquads

There's a few recent albums that I've been listening to a bit. First off is Atmosphere - SouthSiders. In recent times, maybe the last 2 albums, I've been a bit hesitant about Atmosphere, the bits I hear before the album is released tend to sound like the same song rehashed. But then I listen to the full length and love it end to end. And it happened again, man i love this album, the little twist of funk in Ants beats are amazing. Such a little tweek chnaged the sound of the album.

The same for Sage Francis, always a little nervous about the new albums he comes out with, but after a few listens, Copper Gone has really sat nicely with me.

Grieves -Winter & The Wolves has also suprised me, top notch from start to finish.

Girl Talk & Freeway - Nice EP, Freeway is one of the dopest rappers out there but production fails him alot. When he had Jake One behind him, he made an excellent album. Girl Talk is a step up from his normal pool of producers, and has some really strong moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Billion, a thousand million.....

Biggest acquisition since they bought the company that made the software/hardware that the first web server and browser was developed on and brought their owner back into the company.

Billion, a thousand million.....

Biggest acquisition since they bought the company that made the software/hardware that the first web server and browser was developed on and brought their owner back into the company.

Jimmy has also now stepped down from his role in Interscope.

Great move for Dre and Jimmy, a massive payout, a guaranteed paycheck by becoming 'employees' of Apple, Dre's name will still be on the product.

Gold houses and rocket cars in the pipeline for both of them.
    tumblr_l7hwjzUhml1qcdzk5o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Skyzoo & Torae's "Barrel Brothers" album dropped a few days ago, and it's absolutely bangin'! Hard beats, crazy rhymes, (Skyzoo has improved majorly since The Salvation) quality gully music

Meyhem Lauren & Buckwild (:cool:) - Silk Pyramids also dropped, haven't listened yet, but heard it's of a similar quality to Barrel Brothers

Riff Raff's album finally surfaced too, not everyone's cup of tea, but if the intro is any indication, (all I've heard along with Versache Python) he's gonna surprise a few people

This has been a good week for hip hop :D

There's a stream of Mayhem Lauren & Buckwild here -> http://www.complex.com/music/2014/05/stream-meyhem-lauren-and-buckwilds-silk-pyramids-album

Looking forward to this, Lauren is a super good MC.

• Advertisement

This new Common track is unreal, Vince Staples with another quality feature as well!

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/05/listen-to-commons-kingdom-f-vince-staples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

IMO there's few out there better than Apathy (cheesy sample and all)

That second verse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

For me summer jam was epic, g unit re-union, nas and 50 and the enjoyment of watching 50 act upon his words and have that slowbucks fella robbed of his chain in front of 70 k had it all for me, gangsta hip hop is alive and well when 50s round.

His music might be average for the best part the last few years but he's worth the sheer energy and controversy alone that he brings. This new fab one is well worth a listen too, love this sound its almost refreshing in todays era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

For me summer jam was epic, g unit re-union, nas and 50 and the enjoyment of watching 50 act upon his words and have that slowbucks fella robbed of his chain in front of 70 k had it all for me, gangsta hip hop is alive and well when 50s round.

His music might be average for the best part the last few years but he's worth the sheer energy and controversy alone that he brings.

I don't think I've ever witnessed such a desperate attempt to stay relevant. When did G-Unit disband? Last year? Since then 50 has slated Buck, Banks and Yayo on several occasions. It's no coincidence that this "reunion" took place right before 50's new album release :rolleyes:

His new album is deplorable. If he put more effort into his music as opposed to his embarrassing publicity stunts then he might have come up with something half-decent, but he didn't.

I thought 50's departure from Aftermath was a good move but I was clearly wrong. His new album is slated to sell ~30k in the first week. His music career is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

AG918 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever witnessed such a desperate attempt to stay relevant. When did G-Unit disband? Last year? Since then 50 has slated Buck, Banks and Yayo on several occasions. It's no coincidence that this "reunion" took place right before 50's new album release :rolleyes:

His new album is deplorable. If he put more effort into his music as opposed to his embarrassing publicity stunts then he might have come up with something half-decent, but he didn't.

I thought 50's departure from Aftermath was a good move but I was clearly wrong. His new album is slated to sell ~30k in the first week. His music career is over.

Tbh I think everyone knew it was going to happen but it was still quality none the less for a fan like me anyway. In all I'm just delighted to have both g unit and dipset together again because gangsta hip hop is on the way out or at least just watered down rubbish.

I'd agree though it's a shocking album, I can only take 2 decent tracks from it. It was a mixtape converted into an album to sell on iTunes to make money.

50s indie now so 30 or 40k is no big surprise, he has no big label backing him. Compare that of an artist on a major selling 100k which seems to be about the norm these days it's not that bad at all, it's a shock because he's sold millions with previous albums but like said he's not that big musically anymore and either's gangsta hip hop.

if you are looking for a short EP that is f*cking excellent, check this out:

http://www.mondieumusic.com/of-monolithic-proportions.html

nice little 3 track EP from Bishop Nehru & Dizzy Wright, produced by 9th Wonder.

https://soundcloud.com/liftedresearchgroup/sets/dizzy-wright-bishop-nehru-brilliant-youth-ep-produced-by-9th-wonder

Death Grips released a new project without any notice again, this time it's the first part of a double album!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/06/stream-death-grips-surprise-new-album-niggas-on-the-moon-featuring-bjork/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

enjoyment of watching 50 act upon his words and have that slowbucks fella robbed of his chain in front of 70 k]

Sounds like something akin to WWE

This album came out a few weeks ago but is just after being put up in full on Soundcloud. Album of the year so far for me, had it on constant repeat since I got it.

Lee Scott - Tin Foil Fronts.

http://www.soundcloud.com/tinfoilfronts/lee-scott-tin-foil-fronts-full-album-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sadistik - 1984

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/06/03/sadistik-1984/

Official video will be dropping this week I think. Such a class tune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sadistik - 1984

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/06/03/sadistik-1984/

Official video will be dropping this week I think. Such a class tune

Super excited for the album! It'll be some job to beat Flowers For My Father though.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

This is dope as FUKK, can't believe how much he sounds like Nas though :eek:

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/06/04/your-old-droog-ep/

Edit: This has te be Nas, surely?!

Any verdict on the new 50 Cent album?

horsebox09 wrote: »
    This is dope as FUKK, can't believe how much he sounds like Nas though :eek:

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/06/04/your-old-droog-ep/

Edit: This has te be Nas, surely?!

Just had a quick quick scan, sounds real good, too good to be (present day) Nas....although alot of similarities.

Lots of online sites saying that it's Nas, great news if it is! Could also be some new dude who just sounds the very same as him. I found it hard to tell Action Bronson apart from Ghostface when he first came out, great news if its a new dude as well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

That's not Nas, but he's so close, too close.. 95% close

dope mixtape though

New Dilated Peoples track produced by Premo. As good as ever!

Mac Miller put out a track that didn't make the final cut of his last album. Produced by Pete Rock, can't remember the last time I heard a new Pete Rock beat!

• Advertisement

great interview with Action Bronson in advance of the Mr. Wonderful album due out this year. Great to hear someone being so honest, particularly in the later half of the interview.

Advertisement