Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Sections In Otherwise Great Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Surprised with the amount of complaints that The Flood are getting! I personally enjoyed it, mixed up the gameplay a bit!

One thing that annoyed me was sneaking in Oblivion. Your in the middle of this extremely dark cave, coming up to a corner and somehow some creature manages to spot you from around the fecking corner, while you are completely covered in shadows. Was annoying because it was one of my major skills so needed it to level up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

"A drop in the Ocean" from GTAIII nearly made me give up the game...mainly due to the awful boat controls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

sending probes for minerals in mass effect 2. like a dumbed down version of google earth.

Way way better than the scanning in 3 though in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

sending probes for minerals in mass effect 2. like a dumbed down version of google earth.

"Launching probe."

"Probe launched."

"Probe away."

So much time wasted getting those resources and I didn't even end up using a quarter of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Launching probe."

"Probe launched."

"Probe away."

So much time wasted getting those resources and I didn't even end up using a quarter of it.

Totally worth it for the sound though!! "Boooooooooooo-whooop!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed me was sneaking in Oblivion. Your in the middle of this extremely dark cave, coming up to a corner and somehow some creature manages to spot you from around the fecking corner, while you are completely covered in shadows. Was annoying because it was one of my major skills so needed it to level up!

Thats probably due to a low sneak skill to be fair. When i got it high enough i could sneak up right next to enemies and they wouldn't spot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Thats probably due to a low sneak skill to be fair. When i got it high enough i could sneak up right next to enemies and they wouldn't spot me.

High level sneak and enchanted (Chameleon?) clothing/jewelry/cowl made you practically invisible. Bit of a game breaker actually, best avoided.

Those Battletoad bikes though... bad memories... should have rented the cart first before buying it.

The Rainbow road in Mario Kart 64 was overlong too IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

I would say any of the Mako driving sections in the original Mass Effect. The controls were infuriatingly bad.

That was the best part! :confused: It was a tank that could jump! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

krudler wrote: »
    That bloody part in God of War where you have to kick a box up a hill and are getting attacked on all sides constantly as it starts sliding back down, nnnggggg

Isn't that kinda the point?
    Punishment of Sisyphus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Spoiler much?
    Jaysus, are spoiler tags that hard to use? Thats a horrific twist to give away.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah basically ruined it on me, I had played about 3/4 of the game and always planned to come back to it at some stage.
    Cheers 'Daemos'
    Apologies. I hate reading spoilers myself, so I am genuinely sorry to any who have had the ending spoiled for them. But in fairness, it has been out for over 2 years
    The princess is in another castle
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Daemos wrote: »
    Apologies. I hate reading spoilers myself, so I am genuinely sorry to any who have had the ending spoiled for them. But in fairness, it has been out for over 2 years
    The princess is in another castle
    ;)

Its also on a flash sale on Steam at this moment so its possible somebody decides to pick it up for cheap and play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

LA Noire is a massive game that a lot have people play in sessions over a year or two, so Ltd have not gotten to the end yet.
    Sadly after reading your post yesterday I'm a bit disappointed, I'll still finish it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth was well on its way to being one of the best horror games of its time, and then they gave you a gun and expected you to fight your way through the middle 50% of the game. It was doing so well up until then, the atmosphere, the stealth and the puzzle/investigation/exploration stuff was damn near perfect.

And to add insult to injury, the FPS mechanics were disgracefully bad. I slogged through it, and it returned to the hiding and running away and desperately trying to keep sane for the end (mostly). But the extremely ropey middle section just tarnished it for me, and that's a damn shame because the rest of it was solid gold..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The Mile High Club in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Did this too many times...

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Launching probe."

"Probe launched."

"Probe away."

Totally worth it for the sound though!! "Boooooooooooo-whooop!"

It's completely worth it when you try to scan Uranus though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

"Trouble with the trolley, eh?" - Spyro 2

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Sarky wrote: »
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth was well on its way to being one of the best horror games of its time, and then they gave you a gun and expected you to fight your way through the middle 50% of the game. It was doing so well up until then, the atmosphere, the stealth and the puzzle/investigation/exploration stuff was damn near perfect.

And to add insult to injury, the FPS mechanics were disgracefully bad. I slogged through it, and it returned to the hiding and running away and desperately trying to keep sane for the end (mostly). But the extremely ropey middle section just tarnished it for me, and that's a damn shame because the rest of it was solid gold..

The truck chase. Ffffffff it was pure luck to get by it. Then at the end there are three guys you have to kill. I got through it once and they killed me and then it took me over a hour to get through it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The fade in dragon age origins.

And the seemingly never ending Deep Roads, and they were even in DAII.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think that was the point of the deep roads. A feeling of going deeper and deeper underground to the source of the blight. And I think they pulled it off well. It was fairly epic going through those massive Dwarven halls....kind of like Lord of the Rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    And the seemingly never ending Deep Roads...
    Ugh. Don't remind me. I went back to that game half a dozen times but never managed to get through that dreary slog after my original playthrough. Terrible

Other examples of 'When Good Dungeons Go Bad' would include Irenicus' dungeon at the very beginning of Baldur's Gate 2. Not so bad the first time but it just killed the game's replayability factor. IIRC the mod released to remove it was one of the most popular for the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That part in the Turtles game on the NES where you had to defuse the underwater bombs, did anyone ever actually pass that?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

That part in the Turtles game on the NES where you had to defuse the underwater bombs, did anyone ever actually pass that?

Hah, complete forgot about this game ! Used to love the turtles (who am I kidding - still do !)
    I remember spending many an hour completing this....ah, the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    Hah, complete forgot about this game ! Used to love the turtles (who am I kidding - still do !)
    I remember spending many an hour completing this....ah, the memories :)

A lot of 8 bit games were crazy hard back then too. None of this saving malarkey you needed ridiculous passwords to unlock levels, remember the Castlevania ones? this big grid with crufixes and bottles of holy water in specific places, whoever thought that up was a sadist, my schoolbooks were full of game codes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

seamus wrote: »
    then the one where you're trying to shoot them down with a gatling gun.

I could never complete the 'anti-air' mission, gave up after several dozen attempts. I really hate that mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The deep roads werent as bad as the fade. With the fade it was constant spend 2 mins in this area, go to a different area for new form, go back to previous area, oops this form is no good here.

I agree with the flood in halo and the ME2 probing, its annoying you need to do it a little but you wont use most of what you get. I just probed rich planets until they were moderate.

Also in the pokemon games where they show you around town and show you how to catch pokemon. I have done this since before you were a thought in your designers head, I have no need for you to show me such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

None of this saving malarkey you needed ridiculous passwords to unlock levels, remember the Castlevania ones?

Castlevania, another blast from the past, great game ! Yup, I had notebooks filled with level codes - more precious than anything else at one time :)

I still have a working NES in the attic with a stack of games, must set it up again some day for some nostalgic gaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ****ty 2D seconds in Shadows of the Damned. They played like a bad flash game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I would say any of the Mako driving sections in the original Mass Effect. The controls were infuriatingly bad.

I really like the Mako and missed it terribly in ME 2 & 3. The Hammerhead was no replacement. There was no real exploration without the Mako, my only problem was that the planets weren't more varied.

Taris in KOTOR. If you wanted the max Jedi level, you had to complete it without levelling up, which is extremely frustrating to do.

Manaan in KOTOR. If you went there before getting Knight Speed, you were going to be bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Desolace in the pre-Cataclysm WoW, theres a depressing shirthole if I ever seen one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The truck chase. Ffffffff it was pure luck to get by it. Then at the end there are three guys you have to kill. I got through it once and they killed me and then it took me over a hour to get through it again.

Such a shame. Once that's over you go back to Innsmouth and meet a shoggoth. That's one of the best scenes of the whole game, I thought, and most people will never see it because it was hidden behind that f*cking vehicle section.

Advertisement