Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Sections In Otherwise Great Games

Options
  • 30-12-2013 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

After a long break from it, I decided to go back and finish up the bonus content in Rayman Legends. A fun, inventive platformer, my favourite parts of the game were the musical levels (where you run through the level jumping and striking enemies in time with catchy renditions of standards like Eye of the Tiger).

So I unlock the last land, and discover that it consists entirely of musical levels! This seems great, until I discover that all but one appear to be more challenging reruns of the previous one with digitised versions of the music tracks. Ok, nothing wrong with that. At least, not until I discover that the increased difficulty derives from making the action really f****** difficult to see:

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

It's a cheap, lazy way to add challenge, it looks hideous, and practically gave me a headache. And now I'm not inclined to pick up the game again and my memories of this otherwise great game will forever be tarnished by those awful levels they stuck on the end for some reason.

So what other great games had truly terrible sections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Crystal Cave in Dark Souls. Invisible walkways are just dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Water Temple Ocarina of Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

"Jaaasson!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The "Boss" battles in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Why they happened has been gone into, but even if it was a different studio, they were so far away from what the rest of the game was like, they may as well have been a completely different game. I decided to cheat, and felt absolutely no guilt about it, that's how **** they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The fade in dragon age origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- The single player campaign in BF3
    - A lot of the 'back tracking' in the MGS games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A classic contender here of course is Xen from Half Life 1; for three-quarters of your time, HL is a tense shooter set in the chaos of the Black Mesa facility as you shoot your way to the surface. Then as a last act the entire mentality of the game changes, becoming a bewildering series of jump puzzles and frustrating vertical gameplay - with little prior warning or previous levels consisting of this - before culminating in a boss consisting entirely of that concept. When people talk about HL so highly, it's almost guaranteed they're ignoring / forgetting the entire Xen section. Heck, the first time I played the game, way back in the depths of time, I 'noclip'ed my way to the last boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

****ty quick time events, esp in place of the final boss battle, esp when there have not been quick times events in the game up until the point.

Yes I am talking about you Space Marine, finally get to go toe to toe with that bastard of a Chaos Deamon and it goes from a game of skill to fracking button mashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CRYSIS 1. You get off the chain in gorgeous jungle with many toys. Do what ever you want, pure fun and joy. Then second part of the game goes in to that shiety linier boring space ship. It's like all your sandbox was filled with cats and dogs urine and all of your toys taken away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dream sequences in any game. I'm looking mostly at you Max Payne.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I liked Xen.

And yes, fracking quick-time events and anyone that considers putting one in their game should burn in hell.

God damn sewers/catacombs in Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The sections in the earlier CODs (I don't count the later ones as they're just SP tacked onto a MP game) ...where the enemies were infinite, until you decided to run past a certain point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Turret sections in any game, always either dull or annoying.
    Remember at the end of M&L: Partners in Time they just dumped in one that was just a chore to do with the touch screen and buttons too iirc.
    The final boss in Uncharted 2, General RAAM and any instant fail mission(no shortage of them) in AC: Brotherhood can go suck it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Blightown in Dark Souls.

Singularly the most blood boiling controller breaking section of any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The bunker level in the first Uncharted, almost a game killer for me.

Any sewer levels, developers, please come up with some new locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The original ending to Mass Effect 3....

or forgeting to get the last bosses door key, and having to replay the entire game again in ghouls & ghosts...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

QTE boss battle at the end of Deadly Premonition. Wanted to put the controller through the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Zillah wrote: »
    I liked Xen.

And yes, fracking quick-time events and anyone that considers putting one in their game should burn in hell.

God damn sewers/catacombs in Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

You can sneak by all the enemies with obfuscate while laughing to yourself.

The QTEs in Far Cry 3 for boss battles. I thought I was playing a fps.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Blightown in Dark Souls.

Singularly the most blood boiling controller breaking section of any game.

The bottom swampy part of it is grand, the upper levels are a pain in the hoop, if the game's framrate didn't slow down to a crawl it'd be a lot more tolerable as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I would say any of the Mako driving sections in the original Mass Effect. The controls were infuriatingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The desert chapter in Uncharted 3. Ten minutes moving a plodding character around a desert, literally doing nothing. Srsly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dream sequences in any game. I'm looking mostly at you Max Payne.

Running along blood splats hanging on nothing extending into a void, all to the soundtrack of a baby crying.

What's not to love? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

seamus wrote: »
    The desert chapter in Uncharted 3. Ten minutes moving a plodding character around a desert, literally doing nothing. Srsly.

That was the best sequence in the game :confused: Not high on interactivity, but a visually majestic, atmospheric and epic account of one lone man being broken down by nature. A perfect respite to the bland cover shooting that made up a disappointing amount of the game's running time, and a beautiful homage to Lawrence of Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That was the best sequence in the game :confused: Not high on interactivity, but a visually majestic, atmospheric and epic account of one lone man being broken down by nature. A perfect respite to the bland cover shooting that made up a disappointing amount of the game's running time, and a beautiful homage to Lawrence of Arabia.
    Yeah, but I don't want to have to play the damn thing. Just make it a long cut scene :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

o1s1n wrote: »
    QTE boss battle at the end of Deadly Premonition. Wanted to put the controller through the screen.
    Potatoeman wrote: »
    The QTEs in Far Cry 3 for boss battles. I thought I was playing a fps.

I don't mind QTE's. Everyone else hates them but without them, you would just be watching more and more cut scenes. At least quick time events let you feel a part of the cut scene.

I mean when you break it down to it's basic level, The Walking Dead which everyone loved and was "critically acclaimed game of the year 2012" had quite a lot of QTE's......you even press Q and E while doing it for added giggles. :P

I get the feeling that people say they hate them because that's "the done thing" but doesn't realise they like certain games that have them.

Oh, and the Mako handled really well in my opinion.

Beat me to it, the cargo plane/desert sequence was the absolute highlight of that. There's a good few forgettable levels in Uncharted 3 but that wasn't one of them, I just spent ages wandering around admiring the sand effects. The best parts of the Uncharted games are the non covery shooty sequences like climbing the train in the opening of 2 or the puzzle solving parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Personally I found the middle part of Portal 2....the Cave Johnson underground bits with the different gels...... dragged on too long. It was cool for a bit but it never seemed to end and marred a fantastic game for me.

The first and third acts of the game are the stronger parts.

Those bloody Oblivion Gates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ravenholm was a bit annoying in half life 2. It might be the sense of unease it gave me

Advertisement