Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm trying hard to like this but struggling, maybe once I do a few more story missions but so far it's all too familiar to me having played all of the assassins creed games it really is just AC with Orcs :(

I really wish they had made the RT the run button or given an alternative control scheme

The climbing is very AC and so is the aerial kills but everything else is batman. RT is crouch in Batman so that's what they went with.

Hell, even the mechanics are the same. In batman you press B to swish your cape at an enemy and then spam attack really quickly to raise your combo streak. That's in this too. A to jump, RT and X to kill a guy on the ground, all lifted straight from Bats. Spam LT in combat to throw batarangs? They even have that in this too! :p

Not that surprising as WB publish both games.

The fact that it shares similarities to AC and Batman should not be considered a bad thing. These are great games in their own right.
    I for one am looking forward to playing this game and I do not think this will bother me one little bit.

Also AC is published by Ubisoft not WB

I never said it was a bad thing.

And I know who publishes AC. Do you know that Batman is published by WB, as is Shadows of mordor? Hence why I mentioned not being surprised at their similarities. I think you need to read posts more carefully in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I may actually pick up all those AC titles i ignored for years in the next steam sale because of this game :D

Get Black Flag. It's the best one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I may actually pick up all those AC titles i ignored for years in the next steam sale because of this game :D

AC II is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AC brotherhood then stop playing.

Read the plot on a wiki page, its for the best tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't pick up the first one anyway whatever you do lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The fact that it shares similarities to AC and Batman should not be considered a bad thing. These are great games in their own right.
    I for one am looking forward to playing this game and I do not think this will bother me one little bit.

Also AC is published by Ubisoft not WB

Well aware of this, but my problem is the deja-vu from having played numerous batman and assassins creed titles this feels like more of the same which is why im struggling to get into it.

It does more than 'shares similarities' in fairness, it downright lifts them whole sale. Which as said isn't exactly a bad thing but when you have played 5 or 6 AC games and 3 or 4 BM:A games its a formula thats old and offers little new.

Most games now borrow ideas from other successful game franchises. It is becoming increasingly rare to see a game released based on original ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

First one is tolerable only if it's played immediately after the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

smithy1981 wrote: »
    The game crashes for me every time i interrogate an orc, the second i press A for intel, the computer crashes. I've an r290x and haven't touched any graphics settings, game crashing for anyone else?

Yup, played it twice and crashed both times. 660ti default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You ignored them? What was it about them that turned you off?

Contrary to what some folk said above, I'd still recommend picking up the first one to start off with. I found it was only really a chore if you do all of the side quests rather than just the minimum required to unlock the assassination mission to progress the plot. I also feel it sets the scene for the rest of the games quite well despite its shortcomings gameplay wise compared to the superior sequels.

That's where i gave up originally

gizmo wrote: »
    You ignored them? What was it about them that turned you off?

Contrary to what some folk said above, I'd still recommend picking up the first one to start off with. I found it was only really a chore if you do all of the side quests rather than just the minimum required to unlock the assassination mission to progress the plot. I also feel it sets the scene for the rest of the games quite well despite its shortcomings gameplay wise compared to the superior sequels.

I liked how it looked but i was expecting something more like hitman than AC at the time, tbh it just bored me. Might have just been how i felt at the time and i should probably give it another go but well, orcs uruk's must die first

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Just played it for a few minutes there. Never played AC before but this seems fun and a nice fast paced change from the other games im playing (wasteland 2 and divinity: OS) which are purely turn-based combat. Still figuring out all the mechanics.

Also it seems to run perfectly fine on my 290x on ultra (80 average fps in benchmark) and its only a 4GB card i think. And the character models look amazing !

EDIT: Oh yeah my monitor max res is 1920x1080, so that might explain why 4GB is enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Most games now borrow ideas from other successful game franchises. It is becoming increasingly rare to see a game released based on original ideas.

It was never common to see games that didn't heavily borrow mechanics from the genre they were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

I liked how it looked but i was expecting something more like hitman than AC at the time, tbh it just bored me. Might have just been how i felt at the time and i should probably give it another go but well, orcs uruk's must die first

Well i think the best thing about hitman was the diversity between the levels. Cant see much room for it in mordor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    Well i think the best thing about hitman was the diversity between the levels. Cant see much room for it in mordor.

The second area is a huge change from the start map. Leafy, green, a few forts and a coastline with cliffs. Lovely change from the mire ashy wastes of the first section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sarky wrote: »
    The second area is a huge change from the start map. Leafy, green, a few forts and a coastline with cliffs. Lovely change from the mire ashy wastes of the first section.

What and here was me thinking the starting area in Mordor was all there was :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh no, you have the Sea of Núrnen with a whole separate set of warchiefs and captains, and a slightly unhinged dwarf. Loads of plant life thanks to volcanic ash from Mt. Doom and water from the inland sea, Sauron uses it to feed his armies. There might be a third area, but I'm not sure as you're about halfway through the story missions when you get to the Sea.

DaveDaRave wrote: »

i was responding to a quote on what my thoughts were on AC, not SoM

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What I keep forgetting is that regular churn amongst the Captains is a good thing, so I shouldn't be afraid to pick them off if I come across them on the field rather than if I'm in the mood for specifically hunting one down taking advantages of his weaknesses. Doing more Captain kills for what amounts to I think 80% of the XP rather than 100%-ing a few keeps things varied and prevents some captains from becoming super-powered. I've let one get to lvl 20 cause I kept running into him very early on whilst I was still getting to grips with the game. Not looking forward to taking him on, but I'm definitely gonna go for it before I take on the last War-Chief.

I also like how the skills open different approach options for approaching a camp or stronghold. I mean yes, you expect this to be a standard feature and it's always been the way with the Batman games too (I think we all universally agree we're comparing like with like in mentioning the Arkham games also from WB), but I like how it feels more, I guess integrated into the world design. Batman had areas you could only reach with the Line Launcher for example and it was obvious in the world and it reminded you that you've just encountered a game mechanic which can sometimes take you out of the immersion. I've just unlocked
    Shadow Strike
    and whilst I can see areas that have now opened up to me with that ability, I never thought of them as a section that immediately said "you'll need to unlock something to get here" nor did I feel in any way hampered or that I was missing out by not having that ability.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Also:
    FUK POISONED WEAPONS!</RAEG>

that and sword and board hoard callers :/

Quick question, at what point do ye get dominate?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

Might have to pick this up. AC/LOTR cross sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Quick question, at what point do ye get dominate?

Mission 15 I think.

I'm on 16/20 of main story now just after the dominate. So much fun with brand/dominate.

Really dont want this story to end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

having great craic in the second area! game does seem like it will be fairly short though. gonna take my time and build a really strong army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

froog wrote: »
    having great craic in the second area! game does seem like it will be fairly short though. gonna take my time and build a really strong army.

Its only short if you stop playing after main story ends. There's still an awful lot to do and plenty of abilities to unlock.

Advertisement