Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

irishmover wrote: »
    You sure you're half way through? I've played over 9 hours and I'm just half way through the main story now. Although I did do a few side missions so maybe its possible to get to where I am now with just doing the main missions. Read my spoiler from a few posts up and let me know if that's where you are.

I've killed the second black hand.

Edit: I played a few side missions earlier on but they are all the same thing over and over so just stuck the main story line + a bit of messing about. I've always just blown through games, especially when I love them. In this case I love the gameplay and story and middle earth and its lore is one of my biggest interests. Im going to go back after and find every collectable and bit of lore I can even though I already know most of it I have already noticed a little more detail that I didn't know before which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

killanena wrote: »
    I've killed the second black hand.

Are you at the sea of nurn?

You mean the black captain I think which would mean you're at the sea of nurn now.

Yeah I pricked about for ages and just tried some things out before deciding to get the main story finished. Is probably why I've clocked up so many hours.

Sarky wrote: »
    I think the point is that orcs don't really have much culture. They're inherently evil, they hate beautiful things, and only really enjoy destroying things and proving themselves stronger than their rivals. You won't get much in the way of culture from that. Still, it might have been nice to depart a little bit from Tolkein's ideas to give them just a little more something.

That said, I found Old Scorchy the last time I went relic hunting. If there are a few more bits and pieces of orc not-quite-culture lying about with as many interesting stories behind them, I'll probably be satisfied.

There is a few breads of orcs, uruks can be 100's if not 1000's of years old so It would be nice to hear them mention past events from time to time and they have a massive drinking culture. They once owned their own kingdom after the fall of Morgth in the first age, They have their own language. Orkish, Also they like to sing. They are also cannibalistic.

Would have been nice to seen a bit more of all the the above in the game, just to make them more life like. I know im bone picking on an already brilliant game but there is ALWAYS room for improvement :)

Sure they don't have as much culture as other races but people who are making games / movies / series set in middle earth like you said need to add to it to keep it fresh and new as tokien and his son could only do so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

Quick question, worth a buy??

If you like assassins creed and the batman games a lot then yes.
    If you like middle earth and its lore / stories then yes.

If none of the above then no :p

They do enough to differ from both games mentions above + add the nemesis feature which is the first time a system of its type have been properly and successfully implemented in a game.

Also its 50 quid, 50 quid is always hard to part with :p but I differently think its worth the buy as do most reviewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Corvo

They do enough to differ from both games mentions above + add the nemesis feature which is the first time a system of its type have been properly and successfully implemented in a game.

Also its 50 quid, 50 quid is always hard to part with :p but I differently think its worth the buy as do most reviewers.

50 Quid? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

You've sold it for me, is it 50 quid in XtraVision too?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If you liked Batman Arkham City/Origins and Assassins Creed gameplay then it should be a no brainer. Being a LOTR/Tolkien fan will be an added bonus.

If you didn't enjoy those sorts of games at all, then steer clear :)

I got another couple of hours in last night and something that irishmover said about repetition and setting yourself challenges on how you want to play the game really struck a chord, so I'm trying to find the optimal way to tackle any given captain because they're giving me strengths and weaknesses for a reason, I may as well make the most of them. This will make the game take longer I reckon (not that that's a concern of mine) and provide a more varied game play experience.

The first thing I wanna do when I get home this evening and fire it up is get on a caragor's back and gallop across the lands slicing up mofos! :p

69.99 in Xtra Vision lads.

It was €35 for the premium edition for me, but they're out of stock atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Shiminay wrote: »
    I got another couple of hours in last night and something that irishmover said about repetition and setting yourself challenges on how you want to play the game really struck a chord, so I'm trying to find the optimal way to tackle any given captain because they're giving me strengths and weaknesses for a reason, I may as well make the most of them. This will make the game take longer I reckon (not that that's a concern of mine) and provide a more varied game play experience.

It's absolutely necessary for some of the higher level captains, some of the stronger captains simply can't be injured in a straight fight, or at least not quickly enough to have any real hope of surviving 20+ orcs, beserkers, archers and hunters picking away at you, on top of whatever crazy damage the boss can do. It's also just really satisfying to plan your assault on a whole stronghold; Captain surrounded by an army and patrolling a wide open area where you'd be seen and lose half your health before even crossing blades with him? Maybe he's vulnerable to stealth. So kill a few archers overlooking a good ambush spot, loose a few caragors at one end of the stronghold and use distraction arrows to draw forces that way, and finally when you've drawn your target to where you want him, if the caragors haven't killed him just drop a beehive on his head, and jump off that high wall to stealth shank him as they're all running scared. If that doesn't kill him, you can easily finish him off before his bodyguards recover enough to make things difficult.

It's the kind of gameplay I wish had been more prevalent in AssCreed. I'm relishing it. I particularly like how letting a boss escape the like makes him more likely to drop more powerful runes. It's a nice extra incentive to act like a terrifying deathbastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sarky wrote: »
    It's absolutely necessary for some of the higher level captains, some of the stronger captains simply can't be injured in a straight fight, or at least not quickly enough to have any real hope of surviving 20+ orcs, beserkers, archers and hunters picking away at you, on top of whatever crazy damage the boss can do. It's also just really satisfying to plan your assault on a whole stronghold; Captain surrounded by an army and patrolling a wide open area where you'd be seen and lose half your health before even crossing blades with him? Stealth kill a few archers overlooking a good ambush spot, loose a few caragors at one end of the stronghold and use distraction arrows to draw forces that way, and finally when you've drawn your target to where you want him, if the caragors haven't killed him just drop a beehive on his head, and jump off that high wall to stealth shank him as they're all running scared. If that doesn't kill him, you can easily finish him off before his bodyguards recover enough to make things difficult.

It's the kind of gameplay I wish had been more prevalent in AssCreed. I'm relishing it. I particularly like how letting a boss escape the like makes him more likely to drop more powerful runes. It's a nice extra incentive to act like a terrifying deathbastard.

Dont forget exploding barrels and fires! Just got the 'burns burns burns' achievement. Ha....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I was on a war chief last night and I had to kill 35 Uruks before he showed his face. By the time he came out there was about three captains on me and I went down within 5 minutes, fair to say I was livid. Went back to the strong hold and saw him prancing around the place. Went into his strengths and weaknesses to find that he could be killed by stealth kills.
    Fair to say that was the last bush he ventured near, the bollox : )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I had two war chiefs last night that could be killed by stealth finisher, thought it was too simple. they had dozens of orcs around them including loads of captains and I could just run in, hide for a bit then get above him and insta kill. I suppose I could have stretched it out and killed the captains first...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Corvo wrote: »
    69.99 in Xtra Vision lads.

Argos as usual seems to be the best price in Dublin - €61.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yes Argos seem to be the cheapest around.

Where are Xtravison going with 70 quid....

€70 is the basic rrp of all current gen consoles, it was for the last generation too when they were new and that's how it's always been and always will be for console gaming - low cost heavily subsidised hardware = expensive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shiminay wrote: »
    €70 is the basic rrp of all current gen consoles, it was for the last generation too when they were new and that's how it's always been and always will be for console gaming - low cost heavily subsidised hardware = expensive games.

The resale market has a lot to do with the high initial price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

logik wrote: »
    Yes Argos seem to be the cheapest around.

Where are Xtravison going with 70 quid....

Our local XV didn't have it or any other of todays releases :mad: and it's not even a small shop it's one of the bigger ones, herself had to go to gamestop.

we just started it quick plot question is the wraith
    Sauron
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You can get it on PC for 37...... just sayin :P

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »

Yeah but you will have to spend hundreds upgrading :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

VinLieger wrote: »

I got it for 40 digital dl on xbox :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

calex71 wrote: »

Sauron

Nope. Do maybe 3 or 4 Gollum missions and you'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

calex71 wrote: »
    Sauron

It's good but it's not right. If you want to know, he's
    celebrimbor.....the expert blacksmith that Sauron tricked into making the rings.

If you recall from the movies, in the first minute of Fellowship, you see a hammer being struck on an anvil to make the rings. That's the same hammer that the wraith uses on top of all the towers of light in the game. You also find the real hammer later in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It works out cheaper. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Anyone notice if HMV have this for PC? Noticed their website doesn't have any PC games for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Has anyone here tried this with the graphics maxed out? Do they actually need a 6GB GPU or is that just bollocks?

They'd have to be some shower for a 980 to not be able to run it flawlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm trying hard to like this but struggling, maybe once I do a few more story missions but so far it's all too familiar to me having played all of the assassins creed games it really is just AC with Orcs :(

I really wish they had made the RT the run button or given an alternative control scheme

Upgrade every 2 or 3 years for the sake for 200-400 euro but saving 100's in the process with all the sales available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

The game crashes for me every time i interrogate an orc, the second i press A for intel, the computer crashes. I've an r290x and haven't touched any graphics settings, game crashing for anyone else?

Advertisement