Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've seen a few gameplay videos of this and it looks like something I would enjoy but I was not a fan of the books or the movies.
    Do you guys think that somebody that doesn't like LOTR will enjoy this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've seen a few gameplay videos of this and it looks like something I would enjoy but I was not a fan of the books or the movies.
    Do you guys think that somebody that doesn't like LOTR will enjoy this?

I'm willing to forgive this blatant flaw in your brain and help you :p:D

It's related in some ways to the lore (he says only about 33% in I think) and its story references it a lot. Chronologically, it's set between events in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Taking out a chiefs body guards is a pain in the bloody hoop, took out the two captains started the mission only for the chief to arrive with the same two lads id just battered ffs :confused:

Edit: Also I've warmed to it somewhat , I'm now lukewarm towards it, to it's credit it plays far better than either assasins creed or arkham, the world is not as interesting but the missions are far more varied and there is a lot less focus on collect 100 of these etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm willing to forgive this blatant flaw in your brain and help you :p:D

It's related in some ways to the lore (he says only about 33% in I think) and its story references it a lot. Chronologically, it's set between events in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

So I take it that's a yes? Thanks for the help, brain flaw or no. I probably shouldn't mention that I would be getting it for a console and not a PC. . . oops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

calex71 wrote: »
    Taking out a chiefs body guards is a pain in the bloody hoop, took out the two captains started the mission only for the chief to arrive with the same two lads id just battered ffs :confused:

Edit: Also I've warmed to it somewhat , I'm now lukewarm towards it, to it's credit it plays far better than either assasins creed or arkham, the world is not as interesting but the missions are far more varied and there is a lot less focus on collect 100 of these etc.

That very same thing has been happening to me, and i end up just kiting around and sniping whichever one isnt immune to ranged as well as berserkers, those feckers are annoying when ye haven't got all the skills ye really need to nail them. I get snagog the assassin all the time, i must have killed him around 5 times already and he just keeps coming back saying, "look wot you did to me face", sneaky feck always has a horde though.. which is unusual for an assassin imo..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

That very same thing has been happening to me, and i end up just kiting around and sniping whichever one isnt immune to ranged as well as berserkers, those feckers are annoying when ye haven't got all the skills ye really need to nail them. I get snagog the assassin all the time, i must have killed him around 5 times already and he just keeps coming back saying, "look wot you did to me face", sneaky feck always has a horde though.. which is unusual for an assassin imo..

I did have my revenge, I was doing similar to you on one of the chief and exploded a grog thing with arrows and he had a fear of burning and legged it really is cake if you can exploit a fear, they run away and the mobs are slow to follow if at all :) and he is open to be grabbed without wearing him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Fear is the best way to get them, but you do come across some that cannot be feared.

and those ones that run really fast - sucks when you've to look for arrows to pin them down or blinkstrike them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

calex71 wrote: »

i've found the best method for taking out a pesky target is to fear them using your intel, fire or bees or whatever, then follow them as they run away from everybody. you'll eventually get him on his own and it's easy. arrow his foot to root him in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well, I just finished it there. Steam says I took 25 hours. It did maybe 2 of each weapon legend mission and maybe a dozen of the others, Got maybe a third of all artifacts and half of the ithilden, so there's probably closer to 30 hours or more there if you want to do it all. Good news for completionists, it'll pop you back in a tower after the credits roll so you can keep doing side missions and collecting stuff, or just f*ck about with the nemesis system.

The ending was... unexpected, and if that was a hint at a sequel then things are possibly going to depart from Tolkein's canon in a Star Wars: Force Unleashed kinda way (of course if Monolith kept the quality of this game, I don't think anyone but die-hard purists would care). It felt bloody good walking into a big boss fight with half a dozen warchiefs behind you. Also, John DiMaggio was in there as the Tower. Some fine voice work, a couple of recognisable names alongside him and Troy Baker, who seems to be in every game these days...

Great experience all the way through, well worth the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My only complaint thus far is enemies coming back to life. An Uruk killed me and got promoted. Since then, I've killed him about 4 times because he keeps coming back to life. At one point, after I'd killed one of the captains in a mission and got the whole cutscene/mission complete stuff, the Uruk spawned right in front of me.

Penn wrote: »
    My only complaint thus far is enemies coming back to life. An Uruk killed me and got promoted. Since then, I've killed him about 4 times because he keeps coming back to life. At one point, after I'd killed one of the captains in a mission and got the whole cutscene/mission complete stuff, the Uruk spawned right in front of me.

If they did die the game would completely come to an end. This way you can max out achievements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

I think the only way to kill them permanently is to decapitate them!

Hmmm im not so sure. I thought I fought a captain i decapitated again. Must keep an eye out if i do decapitate a captain again.

That could make sense, no more snagog if i lop off his crust :) awesome, will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

That could make sense, no more snagog if i lop off his crust :) awesome, will try that

Worth the dollars might pick up today?

Won't even explain why. Just yes, buy it and enjoy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

irishmover wrote: »
    Won't even explain why. Just yes, buy it and enjoy :cool:

Cheers for the quick reply. Had been looking at some reviews wanted proper non payed hands on opinion.

Cheers for the quick reply. Had been looking at some reviews wanted proper non payed hands on opinion.

No games for everyone but this is exactly the sort of game I needed. Its a lot of fun.

Hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Yeah you need to decapitate them to permanently kill them and stop them coming back. You should see a head on pikes in saurons army screen instead of a dead body lying flat on the ground after killing them permanently.

• Advertisement

IgsTer wrote: »
    Yeah you need to decapitate them to permanently kill them and stop them coming back. You should see a head on pikes in saurons army screen instead of a dead body lying flat on the ground after killing them permanently.

That's pretty cool to be honest.

check their intel, it will tell you if they need to be killed by finisher i think.

Yeah, but have a look at either twitch or youtube first to see if it's your type of game. I'm really enjoying it :)

lots of DLC coming. i wonder is it worth the season pass for 25 odd quid?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm calling it. Game of the year for me. I will never not get tired of luring a bunch of Uruks into the pit in the proving grounds and just carving lumps out of them. Couldn't get the 100 streak bonus objective for one of the sword missions, but I had a lot of fun trying.

However, a major bone of contention - Critical Hits? How do they work? I can't figure them out at all, I thought they'd be like Batman because it's designed as a mechanic to stop button mashing, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone else got them figured out?

made a little personal goal for myself, find an unranked orc i like the look of, let him kill me to make him captain, then try and get him to warchief as a level 20. quite hard. got one to level 15 and he was killed in a poxy duel despite me peppering the opponent with arrows to the face.

RIP Ratlug Warmonger, you fought well.

I have a warchief called Ghaum the Legend, he just laughs and does frog impressions in the dialogue cinematics - he's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

froog wrote: »
    made a little personal goal for myself, find an unranked orc i like the look of, let him kill me to make him captain, then try and get him to warchief as a level 20. quite hard. got one to level 15 and he was killed in a poxy duel despite me peppering the opponent with arrows to the face.

RIP Ratlug Warmonger, you fought well.

The Rise and Fall achievement, nice (you have to kill him then to get it!)

I finished the game completely there, now looking at the Trials of War. It's a bit of a pain to get the bonus objective in the Test of Power of 8000 points to get on the elite leaderboard. Anyone else done it?

I was going to get the Season Pass, but looking at what other people say, it's not really worth the extra money for stuff that doesn't add to the story line, especially when part of it is just more Trials of War (which is nonsense considering the Batman games had those Challenges as part of the base game.) I think I'll just wait until the story DLC to come out and buy them separately. Skins and Runes don't interest me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

I'm calling it. Game of the year for me. I will never not get tired of luring a bunch of Uruks into the pit in the proving grounds and just carving lumps out of them. Couldn't get the 100 streak bonus objective for one of the sword missions, but I had a lot of fun trying.

However, a major bone of contention - Critical Hits? How do they work? I can't figure them out at all, I thought they'd be like Batman because it's designed as a mechanic to stop button mashing, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone else got them figured out?

For me, a rule of thumb is to press x or square when you hear the sound effect from the first blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It really does feel like button mashing. It just feels "loose", whereas with Batman you knew exactly when you ****ed up because you didn't counter etc.

Advertisement