Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Very good game allright, but Murray couldn't get over that bad decision by the umpire to not penalise Djokovic for swinging his racket over the net.

It was 0-15, easily recoverable - not that I'm complaining - I'm glad Djokovic won - but I wish Murray had more fight in him..

And Lendll was watching ??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Great to see Cibulkova reach top ten :) Also great to see her being so consistent since reaching the AO final, I was convinced she'd go on a massive slump.

Li-Serena final in Miami. Incredibly, Serena will be Li's first top ten opponent this season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't like Cibulkova but as you say it's good to see her run in Australia wasn't just a one off bit of luck. Quite a few people do well in Australia and then spend the rest of the year dropping back down the ranks.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Jesus, bad luck for Nishikori. Withdraws from his semi final with a groin injury. Novak advances to final.

Jesus, bad luck for Nishikori. Withdraws from his semi final with a groin injury. Novak advances to final.

Twitter is going mad with people attacking Djokovic because he's gotten 2 walkovers this tournament and had an "easy" draw to begin with. It's not like he has any say over who he plays or what condition they're in.

• Advertisement

Idiots on Twitter, now there's a surprise :P
    What these people fail to realise is that getting walkovers isn't always actually helpful.

Yep, it's mainly Nadal fans anyway with their knickers in a twist.

I see your idiots on Twitter and raise you idiots on Facebook:
    Rules should change, whoever he played in last round should step in, aka Roger Federer.
    Knocks out a great player because he got lucky and now withdraws because he isn't fit enough to play so much tennis. That is a crime.
    RIDICULOUS! If only he injured himself earlier, then the fans won't be deprived of a Federer-Djokovic match
    What an asshole. Wanna give fed his spot back
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

The thought of a Nadal/Djokovic final is horrible anyway, I hope Berdych wins tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Unbelievable.

The thought of a Nadal/Djokovic final is horrible anyway, I hope Berdych wins tonight.

Well it just got worse because Berdych is out injured as well.

So we have a Nadal/Novak final on Sunday.

I go for for Nadal in 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Had moved on but with todays proceedings has me even more downbeat of Federers collapse against Kei when basically home and hosed in the second (or so it seemed). Would have gotten to see some tennis today. :D:D

Has this ever happened before where there's been no semi finals in a tournament?

Didn't it happen last year at Indian Wells in the women's semi finals?

EDIT: Nope, it was QF at Indian Wells last year, two on the same day and the WTA was crucified for it. We'll see if the men get the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Unbelievable.

Not excited about 20 shot rallies for every point. :eek:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Not excited about 20 shot rallies for every point. :eek:

Two people standing at the baseline whacking a ball back and forth is not my idea of entertaining, no.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Two people standing at the baseline whacking a ball back and forth is not my idea of entertaining, no.

Yeah I'll give it a miss as well.

I'd be a fan of that previous player stepping in though. I mean, any match is better than no match, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Novak's on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic is picking apart Nadal's game. He was unreal in that first set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Idiots on Twitter, now there's a surprise :P
    What these people fail to realise is that getting walkovers isn't always actually helpful.

Would the fans get their money back?

I have tickets for the Rome masters for quarter final and semi finals and I would pretty annoyed if this happened and that's putting it mildly. Players should be fined or dropped in the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Well that was quick! Nole blasted him away!

Floppybits wrote: »
    Would the fans get their money back?

I have tickets for the Rome masters for quarter final and semi finals and I would pretty annoyed if this happened and that's putting it mildly. Players should be fined or dropped in the rankings.

It depends on the individual tournament, I think. Sometimes with rain they'll only refund if no play happens at all. So even the players getting on for 5 minutes would mean no refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic looks in ominous form again. Funny how people were saying he was fading pre Indian Wells and struggling with his games, had not won a tournament in 2014 (he had played a whopping 2 touraments !!). He lost to an inspired Wawrinka in a match that could have gone either way and then to an inspired Federer in Dubai. SInce then he has beaten Federer, Murray and Nadal.

I just dont understand people reacting to much to a few losses among the top players. Do people forget that Djokovic won the Paris and shanghai masters at the end of 2013 and went unbeaten in winning the World tour finals beating Federer and Nadal in the process. It is like people think he had a bad 2013 and yet he won the Australian open, nearly beat Nadal in 5 sets in French open semis, reached final of wimbledon and reached final of US open.

Words fail me when people say that Djokovic is a fading force. He is always there at the business end of every tournament. This win against Rafa will make the clay season a whole lot more interesting and a bit less predictable.

It's the same thing with Federer. Last year he was clearly having an issue with his back, with his coaching team, with his racquet etc. etc. but people had him written off completely. Oh it's so sad to watch, he should just retire now. This year he's come out and is playing better than I've seen him for quite some time. Okay, I still don't know if he has it in him to beat Nadal or Djokovic in a slam over 5 sets but he's still a better player than pretty much everyone else.

Sports journalists are so reactionary, I never realised it until I started following tennis week in week out. They never look at the bigger picture, or take into account anything other than what's literally just happened.

Agree with both above statements. I think Djokovic 2011 was a once off thing but people thought he might continue the form. When he didn't, he was written off.

Same story as Federer. When he wasn't winning at least 1 GS a year (and combined with him being a bit older than Nadal, Murray et al.), he was "done."

As good as Novak is playing he still is being really challenged, particularly by Federer. It's amazing to think that Roger is still at or close to he best. He's challenging so hard for 1000 tournaments. His style IMO matches up best vs. Novak.

Has anyone here ever been to the Davis Cup in Dublin? Anyone know how are the matches scheduled over the weekend and if they run late? Just wondering cause I'm half thinking of going this weekend.

Has anyone here even been to the Davis Cup in Dublin? Anyone know how are the matches scheduled over the weekend and if they run late? Just wondering cause I'm half thinking of going this weekend.

Friday - First singles match at 2 p.m. followed by 2nd singles. Saturday - Doubles at 1 p.m. and Sunday start at 2 p.m.

Don't know about them running over. Against Finland last year I think one of the matches was 5 hours long. Also the Finish players didn't show up for the reverse singles because they'd already won, I think, something weird happened anyway.

Thanks for that. It's James that I want to see playing, and looking back on past years he's played the opening match almost every time he has played, so I'm guessing it'll be the same this Friday.

Andy Murray tweeted earlier that he'll announce his new coach tomorrow. Not sure whether he's big into April Fools Day but let's see if it's for real. :D

Wonder who it'll be...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Panzer7

walshb wrote: »
    As good as Novak is playing he still is being really challenged, particularly by Federer. It's amazing to think that Roger is still at or close to he best. He's challenging so hard for 1000 tournaments. His style IMO matches up best vs. Novak.

Federer is far from his best, I'd say he's at about 80% of his peak when he was around 24.

• Advertisement

Panzer7 wrote: »
    Federer is far from his best, I'd say he's at about 80% of his peak when he was around 24.

That may be when he was achieving his best results. That doesn't mean that he was at his best. Could the Federer of today or the past 2-3 years beat the Federer of 2004? Absolutely. It's a lot to do with opponents levels as well. Federer is a rare athlete that still has the speed and grace and fitness levels today and recently that he had in his early to mid 20s. He has gained experience, shots and differnet methods to adapt and to combat the greats like Novak and Nadal. Federer 2009/2010 vs. Federer 2004? Toss up! Even his Wimbledon win in 2012 was an example of him at or close to his best! The opposition that year was better than in 2003/2004.

It's not like a boxer or track athlete who loses a step or two with age. This does happen to tennis players, of course, but I don't see it with Roger. He is aging very well in the sport. And he is facing better players today than 8-9 years ago.

Take John McEnroe. His best year ever was 1984. He was unbeatable. But I would pick the McEnroe from the later '80s-'90s to beat the 1984 version.

Advertisement