Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

the_monkey wrote: »
    Anyone know if James McGee is playing qualies at Miami ?

Don't think so no, he's not on the order of play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Andy Murray to split with coach Ivan Lendl. Big shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Delpo has pulled out of Miami. No real surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I guess I'm not getting offered tickets at this point :(
    Me neither :(

Still thinking about just going anyway and queuing!

About Murray, what?!? is that true? never saw that coming... I wonder what happened..

Still time to get tickets. They ballot until the end of May, according to Wimbledon's Facebook page.

Yep, the Murray news is true. I'll miss Lendl's non-expressions the most. *sniff* :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Worried for Andy. This is not what he needed.

By the sounds of it there was no animosity, Lendl simply wanted to go and do his own thing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fourth win of the year for Lisicki! :eek:

Will we get to five before Wimbledon?

Del Potro will be having further wrist surgery on Monday, will be out for 8-12 months :(:(:(

I very much doubt he'll get anywhere near winning a slam again.

Good news for his future. No way he could have continued being healthy just taking a few weeks off here and there. A long lay-off and surgery is definitely the best option. He's young, still got time to add more GS titles.

What exactly is wrong with his wrist? Ligaments? Tendons? Tissue damage?

Another retirement from Lisicki. She is definitely the most frustrating player to support!!

• Advertisement

She has flu apparently. How do you get the flu in Miami?

Heaven help us all :rolleyes:

Ivanovic wins first set 6-3 against Kvitova and then double-bagelled?! After her excellent start to the year I had hoped Ana might be on the rise, but the recent signs aren't good.

Really happy Sharapova is through to the QF's, particularly after beating both Safarova and Flipkens, who can both be tricky. Sharapova-Kvitova could be a good match. I want Maria to win but her loss to Serena would (obviously) go without saying, so maybe Kvitova-Serena would make a better semi-final.

Delpo had surgery on the wrist today. Hope this is his last major surgery til retiring.

Radwanska smashed a racquet after losing the second set to Svitolina! Can't remember if she's ever done that.

Didn't think she'd have the power to smash a racquet to be honest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Didn't think she'd have the power to smash a racquet to be honest :P

Probably a really graceful smash.:)

Rjd2 wrote: »

Probably a lovely crouching smash from inside the baseline.

FYI, Li Na is out on Court 3.:confused: She's a 2-time GS champion and her agency (IMG) is a partner in this tournament.:confused: You'd think she'd get preference.

Rjd2 wrote: »

Down on her knees then rushed the net and got back to the service line to reach around her back and smash the racquet.... probably.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Probably a lovely crouching smash from inside the baseline.

FYI, Li Na is out on Court 3.:confused: She's a 2-time GS champion and her agency (IMG) is a partner in this tournament.:confused: You'd think she'd get preference.

There's been a little bit of controversy over the treatment the women are getting. Lindsay Davenport's been giving out about it. A Sharapova match wasn't even streamed, apparently, so I guess it's not really a surprise Li Na is relegated to court 3.

Indian Wells shows Miami up every year as a terrible tournament. I was reading something earlier today that IMG might have to sell it.

• Advertisement

Another stellar performance from Gasquet against a top player, could have gone either way but Federer just edged him out. :pac:

I backed Tsonga to beat Murray earlier instead of backing City:(:(:(:(

Dolgopolov beat Wawrinka in 3! He is having quite the year, final in Rio, then beats Nadal then the week after beats Wawrinka!

Djokovic v Murray QF could be interesting now that Murray seems to be returning to his normal self. Id still fancy Djokovic though, maybe in 3 sets.

'Flu' suffering Sabine withdrew from singles.... and still playing doubles.

She is a complete joke at this stage.

I hope she loses in round 1 of Wimbledon, maybe that would give her a kick up the backside! But realistically it probably would have no effect on her whatsoever.

She stayed in bed for 3 days after withdrawing from singles. Not sure it was actual Flu she had if it only took 3 days to recover. A cold probably.

Cold or flu, that's the kind of thing you play through.

Del Potro's surgeon said given the degree of damage discovered in his wrist, it's "amazing he was able to play at all".

Well no, if she actually had flu, as in influenza, she wouldn't be able to play through it and she wouldn't have been better in a few days. I don't mean to be pedantic but it annoys me when people say flu when they really mean a bad cold or a chest infection.

Oh. Ok.

Still though, I imagine whatever Sabine had she threw in the towel at the first sniffle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Dolgopolov beat Wawrinka in 3! He is having quite the year, final in Rio, then beats Nadal then the week after beats Wawrinka!

Djokovic v Murray QF could be interesting now that Murray seems to be returning to his normal self. Id still fancy Djokovic though, maybe in 3 sets.

Im looking forward to this match tonight. Murray was on fire last night even though he was helped by Tsonga's performance.

From looking at Indian Wells and Miami it seems that Dolgopolov and Ranoic are the ones to look at this season. Dolgopolov is on some roll despite saying on Sky sports the other night that he is mentally fried from playing too many tournaments.:D

• Advertisement

Dolgo always had the talent, just so erratic over the years.

Great match between Murray and Novak atm.

Advertisement